HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

USA College Free Agents 2014 Class

Old
03-13-2014, 07:58 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventana View Post
Not just ties, the Canucks were the first ones to go out and talk to him and had an agreed on deal that was declined last minute because Folin wanted to go back to school for one more year.

Very possible he signs with another team but I see the Canucks as the likely destination, if he's loyal.
Loyalty doesn't mean anything if another team gives him top 6 minutes, and the Canucks can't.

If they do sign him, does that make others expendable, say Corrado?

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 08:01 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

What percentage of college UFA signings actually make it as actual NHLer's? Like more than 2 years...

Not discounting anyone on the list, but there seems to be more disappointments then success stories.

Old
03-13-2014, 08:26 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Can see Toronto pursuing TVR hard. We have his brother, and he is the exact type of d-man we need, not to mention he will also get a very good shot at making it straight away as our defense is **** and desperately needs help. Only problem is we can't sign him right now because we are at the max 50 pro contracts.
James was a big time Rangers fan growing up. TVR is a Rangers fan as well from what I've heard. Rangers will likely not have any of their college, European or CHL draftees graduating to pros next year and have a number of AHL UFA's and RFA's I'd expect will leave or be cut loose. There should be openings galore in the Rangers organization and the path forward pretty clear for the next year or two. I can easily see TVR signing with the Leafs but if the Rangers are interested and I expect they are I can see him signing with them too.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 09:17 AM
THall4

From what im hearing, Kenney Morrison is likely to sign with the Oilers..and Bryce Van Babrant as well..both are local guys from Lloydminster AB and Morinville AB, respectfully. Both players atteneded the Oilers rookie camp.

THall4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 09:29 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Loyalty doesn't mean anything if another team gives him top 6 minutes, and the Canucks can't.

If they do sign him, does that make others expendable, say Corrado?
Not all defensemen go to wherever promises them top 6 minutes, that's not necessarily the best stepping stone long term for their career. Look at Garrison for example, he spent a full year in the AHL after being signed before making the jump. Tanev was another example of a guy who spent parts of 3 seasons in the AHL before establishing himself as a legit top 4 defenseman. Now, do you think either of these guys are unhappy with their choices?

Then you have a guy like Gilroy who was signed with the promise of top 6 NHL minutes. Good short term decision, but it doesn't appear as if it was an intelligent decision long term. He's pretty much a #8 guy now in the NHL. He could have benefited from a year or two in the AHL at a younger age while he could still pass freely through waivers, rather than being thrust into the NHL.

I think college free agents should be, and are more intelligent to simply go to the team that promises them a quicker route to the NHL. They should go to a team with a strong track record for developing their prospects, and somewhere they feel comfortable. Vancouver has a ton of swedes on their team, as well as a number of college free agents who are now playing in impact roles on their team (Tanev & Garrison). A fellow college UFA defenseman should recognize this.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 09:58 AM
Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by THall4 View Post
From what im hearing, Kenney Morrison is likely to sign with the Oilers..and Bryce Van Babrant as well..both are local guys from Lloydminster AB and Morinville AB, respectfully. Both players atteneded the Oilers rookie camp.
BVB attended the Flames camp as well, and the Flames are rumored to be actively after him as well. Definitely fits Burke's philosophy, and definitely fills an Oilers' area of need. Will be interesting how this one plays out.

Reinhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 10:17 AM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
James was a big time Rangers fan growing up. TVR is a Rangers fan as well from what I've heard. Rangers will likely not have any of their college, European or CHL draftees graduating to pros next year and have a number of AHL UFA's and RFA's I'd expect will leave or be cut loose. There should be openings galore in the Rangers organization and the path forward pretty clear for the next year or two. I can easily see TVR signing with the Leafs but if the Rangers are interested and I expect they are I can see him signing with them too.
Yeah I was thinking about this earlier, I posted yesterday on the Leafs board that I think it comes down to either Toronto or New York. The Rangers seem to be really deep at D though whereas the Leafs have prospects but no one that is outright ready to steal a spot on the team and our defense is much worse, so he might have more opportunity here.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 12:12 PM
MurrayBannerman
The Portents

vCash: 1062
I don't know how a player can be loyal to a team he was never a part of.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 02:21 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Yeah I was thinking about this earlier, I posted yesterday on the Leafs board that I think it comes down to either Toronto or New York. The Rangers seem to be really deep at D though whereas the Leafs have prospects but no one that is outright ready to steal a spot on the team and our defense is much worse, so he might have more opportunity here.
A thing working against the Rangers right now is Haggerty puts them at 50 contracts for this year. They'll be dumping a bunch of AHL RFA's and UFA's in the offseason but they'll have to have some vets in Hartford so I expect that some of the older UFA's will be replaced by other AHL vets but there should be a bunch of spots for CHL and college and even European free agents. Right now they can sign free agents to ATO's and that's about it. If TVR wanted to jump right in this year it will be with someone other than the Rangers.

Even so right now the Rangers only have two worthwhile defense prospects at the pro level--Dylan McIlrath--a very physical right side guy and Conor Allen a left hander who plays both sides. Then there's Brady Skjei at Minnesota U.--a left D. After those three guys the Rangers don't have a lot--a few projects. TVR would move right into the mix.

Old
03-13-2014, 03:28 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
A thing working against the Rangers right now is Haggerty puts them at 50 contracts for this year. They'll be dumping a bunch of AHL RFA's and UFA's in the offseason but they'll have to have some vets in Hartford so I expect that some of the older UFA's will be replaced by other AHL vets but there should be a bunch of spots for CHL and college and even European free agents. Right now they can sign free agents to ATO's and that's about it. If TVR wanted to jump right in this year it will be with someone other than the Rangers.

Even so right now the Rangers only have two worthwhile defense prospects at the pro level--Dylan McIlrath--a very physical right side guy and Conor Allen a left hander who plays both sides. Then there's Brady Skjei at Minnesota U.--a left D. After those three guys the Rangers don't have a lot--a few projects. TVR would move right into the mix.
This lack of flexibility made me a little surprised that New York didn't dump a contract in the St. Louis deal (and on top of that then picked up Diaz who isn't even playing - brought in solely for injury insurance it seems?). BUT they do have some flexibility if they feel they want to sign anyone else.

Anthony Duclair and Troy Donnay's contract are "slide" contracts and do not yet count against the 50-contract limit.
As both Duclair and Donnay were under the age of 19 when signing their contracts and at the time this NHL season started, and are both currently playing in the CHL (QMJHL and OHL, respectively), neither contract will not count against the limit until the player plays in 11 or more NHL games (regular season or playoffs).
Also, if these players do not play in 11 or more games this season, this year of the contract, for all intents and purposes, doesn't count and the contract gets pushed over to next year (a contract can only ever slide twice).

Now, where I am a little more hazy... If the Rangers sign, let's say, two more free agents and the wanted to recall Duclair and Donnay, I can only assume they would not be allowed to play them more than 10 games, or else they would be in violation of the contract limit. But I guess they can still recalling them.

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2014, 03:31 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Is there a RW power forwards among the group?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:48 AM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Is there a RW power forwards among the group?
Tyler Barnes?
I've never seen him play, so hopefully some one can correct me if I am way off base. But it sounds like he's willing to play hard and rough when it gets down to it. His size isn't really beneficial to being a power forward though.

Ryan Walters can be a bit of a pest with a nose for the net.

uncleben85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 03:08 AM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor Town View Post
Cody Kunyk
Just checked, will be signing with Tampa when his season is over

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:26 AM
Jacko95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor Town View Post
Just checked, will be signing with Tampa when his season is over
As a Tampa fan i would like know a Source. He was in camp last Summer, but I heard never anything about him signing here.
I would really like it, he could be an interesting part of "the New Wave" that trys to fill the hole Johnson, Palat and Co have left open. And considering how heavily Yzerman and Company try to fill it (Goude signing, JAM trade for guys that had nothing to do here anymore) signing a guy like him would not surprise me at all.
And I really hope he goes after another FA defender.

Jacko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 05:48 AM
Bad News Bears
HUNTS&DUBES&SHANNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I don't know how a player can be loyal to a team he was never a part of.
You're so wise.

Bad News Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 07:15 AM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Not all defensemen go to wherever promises them top 6 minutes, that's not necessarily the best stepping stone long term for their career. Look at Garrison for example, he spent a full year in the AHL after being signed before making the jump. Tanev was another example of a guy who spent parts of 3 seasons in the AHL before establishing himself as a legit top 4 defenseman. Now, do you think either of these guys are unhappy with their choices?

Then you have a guy like Gilroy who was signed with the promise of top 6 NHL minutes. Good short term decision, but it doesn't appear as if it was an intelligent decision long term. He's pretty much a #8 guy now in the NHL. He could have benefited from a year or two in the AHL at a younger age while he could still pass freely through waivers, rather than being thrust into the NHL.

I think college free agents should be, and are more intelligent to simply go to the team that promises them a quicker route to the NHL. They should go to a team with a strong track record for developing their prospects, and somewhere they feel comfortable. Vancouver has a ton of swedes on their team, as well as a number of college free agents who are now playing in impact roles on their team (Tanev & Garrison). A fellow college UFA defenseman should recognize this.
That's all well and good until a team waves an NHL paycheck infront of them.

Old
03-14-2014, 08:18 AM
Mike Jones

According to the AHL transaction page Brock Higgs, LW, has just signed an ATO with the Worcester Sharks. Does this mean he's signing with the Sharks or is this simply an audition for the AHL team?

Link: http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 08:31 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
According to the AHL transaction page Brock Higgs, LW, has just signed an ATO with the Worcester Sharks. Does this mean he's signing with the Sharks or is this simply an audition for the AHL team?

Link: http://theahl.com/stats/transactions.php
It may mean things are leaning that way. An ATO is a short term minor league agreement between a minor league team and a player though not an NHL contract. I don't know how many NHL contracts the Sharks are carrying. They may be at their 50 contract limit like the Rangers.

Old
03-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
That's all well and good until a team waves an NHL paycheck infront of them.
Depends on the player. I can understand the appeal of jumping right in, you get a guaranteed million or so to your name. Where as if you take the AHL route and don't do so good, you may never get that shot. Like I said, it depends on the player. Some players will prefer the quick pay check, others will focus more on long term stability.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:35 AM
Cor
BEST IN THE WORLD

vCash: 72
Leafs likely will take a look at Carey (who has attended some rookie camps) and obviously TVR

Cor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:40 AM
IranCondraAffair

Every year Ottawa signs a college free agent. Anyone have an idea who it will be this year?

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:00 PM
eco's bones

As far as I can tell these are the teams maxed out on contracts for this year:

San Jose, Boston, Toronto, Tampa Bay, NY Rangers.

These are the teams that can sign free agents between now and the end of this season:

8 open slots--Calgary, NY Islanders
7 open slots--Los Angeles, Winnipeg, Nashville
5 open slots--Edmonton
4 open slots--Vancouver
3 open slots--Chicago, Washington, St. Louis, New Jersey, Phoenix, Dallas, Florida
2 open slots--Philadelphia, Carolina, Buffalo
1 open slot--Pittsburgh, Detroit, Montreal, Minnesota, Columbus, Anaheim, Ottawa, Colorado

Players signing now will be ineligible for this year's playoffs anyway. Carey won't be able to sign with Toronto until after the season--if that is where he intends to sign. He can sign an ATO like Higgs (to play in the AHL) is doing with San Jose. Other than that he can sign with someone else or he waits.

Last edited by eco's bones: 03-14-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old
03-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko95 View Post
As a Tampa fan i would like know a Source. He was in camp last Summer, but I heard never anything about him signing here.
I would really like it, he could be an interesting part of "the New Wave" that trys to fill the hole Johnson, Palat and Co have left open. And considering how heavily Yzerman and Company try to fill it (Goude signing, JAM trade for guys that had nothing to do here anymore) signing a guy like him would not surprise me at all.
And I really hope he goes after another FA defender.
I guess you'll just have to trust me

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:56 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
As far as I can tell these are the teams maxed out on contracts for this year:

San Jose, Boston, Toronto, Tampa Bay, NY Rangers.

These are the teams that can sign free agents between now and the end of this season:

8 open slots--Calgary, NY Islanders
7 open slots--Los Angeles, Winnipeg, Nashville
5 open slots--Edmonton
4 open slots--Vancouver
3 open slots--Chicago, Washington, St. Louis, New Jersey, Phoenix, Dallas, Florida
2 open slots--Philadelphia, Carolina, Buffalo
1 open slot--Pittsburgh, Detroit, Montreal, Minnesota, Columbus, Anaheim, Ottawa, Colorado

Players signing now will be ineligible for this year's playoffs anyway. Carey won't be able to sign with Toronto until after the season--if that is where he intends to sign. He can sign an ATO like Higgs (to play in the AHL) is doing with San Jose. Other than that he can sign with someone else or he waits.
The way I understand it is that after March 1st teams can sign players for next season without being affected by the contract limit for this season. San Jose, for example, can still sign Higgs for 2014-2015 - he just can't play this season unless he signs a tryout agreement and even then he can't play in the 2014 playoffs.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:21 PM
dotcommunism

If a college UFA signs an NHL contract that takes effect this season they can play in the NHL, but they will not be able to play in the NHL playoffs. They are unable to play in the AHL, period.

If they sign an NHL contract that takes effect next year, they cannot play in the NHL this year (due to not being on an NHL contract). However, they would be able to sign an ATO in the AHL and would be eligible for AHL play and (I believe) also eligible for the AHL playoffs

Last edited by dotcommunism: 03-19-2014 at 01:45 PM.
dotcommunism is online now   Reply With Quote