HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #66|Sat., Mar. 15, 2014| Penguins at Flyers |1:00 p.m. ET

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2014, 05:57 PM
TheLegendkiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
I think Mason gets lit up tomorrow.

By who? Jayson Megna or Brian Gibbons?

Stop being Debbie downers.

Old
03-14-2014, 05:59 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CavemanLawyer View Post
Oh my god you're doing the whole Cristiano Ronaldo schpiel. There are a million reasons people hate the man, and isn't because he's not on my team, or because he's on a rival or anything. Your side that you're presenting has been debunked numerous times in just about every other sport. I personally hate him because he knows the rule book pretty well and skirts right on the fine line of EVERYTHING. He rides the line hard and the refs just let it go, where as if any one remembers 24/7 with the Flyers, Talbot was playing a game where he was doing everything borderline and the refs knew they couldn't call him for anything, so they skated over and told him they knew what he was doing and to calm down and quit the **** or they were going to call a bull **** penalty. They ultimately did and the ref told Talbot "Yeah you're right, that was a horrible call I just made, but I warned you I was going to get you". THAT never happens to Crosby. It happens to just about every other star player from Kane to Ovechkin, but never Crosby.

Hey, dude is skilled and love watching him play. He's on my fantasy team, so I do watch the Penguins a lot. The fact is he is everything I hate in a sports player. Much like how I dislike Ronaldo. On the Union I dislike Hoppenot, who is another guy who reads the rules meticulously and just skirts the line sooo ****ing hard just to draw red cards that it leaves you just shaking your head... It's pretty much all he knows how to do. I dislike players who play outside the spirit of the game, and Crosby is a huge violator in my opinion. Simmonds has been getting that way lately with how he crashes the net and stirs **** up, and it irks me just as much. It is like he researches how many punches he can get in on a guy before a ref calls a penalty. That isn't hockey....at all. Crosby antics aren't hockey.
Honestly, I think you just proved my point exactly. I hate Crosby, and his antics annoy me as well, but if Crosby were a Flyer, these things would not piss you off nearly as much as they do.

I don't care if you want to admit it or not; you're impression is influenced by bias. There are other factors, of course, and I'm not denying those. I'm only saying that if this were an alternate universe where Crosby were a Flyer, you would like him a whole hell of a lot more.

I also like your plea for objectivity by comparing it to your feelings on Simmonds. But would you make a similarly passionate cry for Simmonds to just "play hockey" with the amount of emotion I see in this post? Probably not.

Being a sports fan is inherently emotional. Bias is critical for enjoying sports. But that doesn't mean you have to ignore that it exists even if you can't tell when your bias is exposed.

Old
03-14-2014, 07:38 PM
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 458
I only hate Crosby when he plays the Flyers

I guess we can start winning again now that Rinaldo is back in the lineup

Old
03-14-2014, 07:44 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Honestly, I think you just proved my point exactly. I hate Crosby, and his antics annoy me as well, but if Crosby were a Flyer, these things would not piss you off nearly as much as they do.

I don't care if you want to admit it or not; you're impression is influenced by bias. There are other factors, of course, and I'm not denying those. I'm only saying that if this were an alternate universe where Crosby were a Flyer, you would like him a whole hell of a lot more.

I also like your plea for objectivity by comparing it to your feelings on Simmonds. But would you make a similarly passionate cry for Simmonds to just "play hockey" with the amount of emotion I see in this post? Probably not.

Being a sports fan is inherently emotional. Bias is critical for enjoying sports. But that doesn't mean you have to ignore that it exists even if you can't tell when your bias is exposed.
I really don't think it's fair to tell people why they have the opinions that they do. If Crosby was a Flyer I still wouldn't like all the stuff he does like flopping and whining. Nothing would change in that aspect. Many Flyers fans hate Steve Downie whether he's here or not.

Old
03-14-2014, 07:50 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
I really don't think it's fair to tell people why they have the opinions that they do. If Crosby was a Flyer I still wouldn't like all the stuff he does like flopping and whining. Nothing would change in that aspect. Many Flyers fans hate Steve Downie whether he's here or not.
What I'm saying is not really controversial, at all. I can't help it if people want to ignore a major factor in our hatred of Crosby.

Would you or would you not like Crosby a lot more if he were a Flyer?

You would? Okay, then. Case settled. You have a bias. I have a bias. We all have biases. If we didn't have biases, we wouldn't be freaking Flyers fans.

To say our bias has nothing to do with our perception of Crosby is, frankly, absurd. If y'all don't want to acknowledge your bias, then that's your prerogative. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist or play a factor in our opinions on players around the league.

EDIT: I'm also not telling anyone why they have an opinion. I'm telling people one factor that plays a significant role in their opinion that they are refusing to acknowledge.

Old
03-14-2014, 08:21 PM
chupanibre
Registirad Uzer

Riiinaaaalddooooo

Old
03-14-2014, 08:24 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
By who? Jayson Megna or Brian Gibbons?
I have never heard of those two legends before.

Old
03-14-2014, 08:31 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

**** the little ***** Neal. Not a single ounce of sympathy was felt that day towards him.

Old
03-14-2014, 08:34 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I have never heard of those two legends before.
Which probably means they'll each score a couple of goals. That's usually how it works for us.

Old
03-14-2014, 08:41 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Zero ****s given that Neal has a concussion, he's has no regard for other players health whatsoever, BUT god forbid someone gave him a taste of his own medicine he'd be the first to cry a river about it,

This game should bring out a the best in the Flyers so here's to a W!!!!

Old
03-14-2014, 08:50 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
I have no issues with Sid, and if I'm being totally objective, I would adore Sid if he were a Flyer (you all would, too, don't lie). He plays the game hard, but nothing he ever does is actually dirty. I have a tremendous amount of respect for him despite the fact that I will always hate him for being a Penguin.

Neal, though, I hate him for reasons other than him being a Penguin. No matter what jersey he puts on, I will have absolutely no respect for him.
Quote:
What I'm saying is not really controversial, at all. I can't help it if people want to ignore a major factor in our hatred of Crosby.

Would you or would you not like Crosby a lot more if he were a Flyer?
This all started from your post above where you claimed that literally everyone would adore Crosby if he was a Flyer and that he doesn't play dirty at all. That's what most people are disagreeing with. People here don't like Crosby because of the way he plays not just because he's a Penguin/not a Flyer. Of course I would like Crosby ,ore if he was a Flyer but I would still dislike him for the reasons I dislike him now. So your question doesn't really prove your original point. There's been plenty of Penguins, like Jagr and Lemieux, who I disliked only because they were Penguins. That's what I think your confusing.

Old
03-14-2014, 08:59 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Shaping up as a bad night for our playoff spot, two pts tomm will be huge, we need the win

Old
03-14-2014, 09:14 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
This all started from your post above where you claimed that literally everyone would adore Crosby if he was a Flyer
That's pretty much a fact. My proof is that literally every Pens fan adores Crosby. If Sid was ours and events transpired in the same way, our fan base would have grown to have a similar adoration of Crosby. If Crosby captained the Flyers to a Cup, yes, literally every fan would love him.

Quote:
and that he doesn't play dirty at all.
He's not dirty in the sense that he never intentionally tries to hurt opponents. If my definition of dirty is too conservative, than that's fair to object.

Quote:
People here don't like Crosby because of the way he plays not just because he's a Penguin/not a Flyer. Of course I would like Crosby ,ore if he was a Flyer but I would still dislike him for the reasons I dislike him now.
I find that very hard to believe. You may dislike some of the things he does (like many of us dislike how Giroux embellishes), but you would certainly not dislike Crosby.

Quote:
So your question doesn't really prove your original point. There's been plenty of Penguins, like Jagr and Lemieux, who I disliked only because they were Penguins. That's what I think your confusing.
No, actually you're proving my point. I'm not saying that you don't hate Crosby for other reasons (seriously, do I need to repeat that again?). I'm saying that chief among those reasons is your bias against the Penguins which makes us all instantly resent anything that brings good things to the Penguins. The thought experiment I've repeatedly referenced proves that our collective bias has a significant impact on how we perceive Crosby.

Last edited by hockeyfreak7: 03-14-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old
03-14-2014, 09:16 PM
bennysflyers16

We have the tie break with wings ? Bad night tonight.

Old
03-14-2014, 09:20 PM
MP92
Ginger Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Shaping up as a bad night for our playoff spot, two pts tomm will be huge, we need the win
I'd be happy if we could get 3 pts out of this series. 4 pts would be HUGE but Im not banking on it.

Old
03-14-2014, 09:28 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
I'd be happy if we could get 3 pts out of this series. 4 pts would be HUGE but Im not banking on it.
I will take 2 right now . These will be our two games in hand on Rags, 2 pts is a must or we in trouble.

Old
03-14-2014, 10:36 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

Quote:
That's pretty much a fact. My proof is that literally every Pens fan adores Crosby. If Sid was ours and events transpired in the same way, our fan base would have grown to have a similar adoration of Crosby. If Crosby captained the Flyers to a Cup, yes, literally every fan would love him.
They probably would love him for that but if he still played the way he did then people would still dislike him for that. Ed Snider brought a ******* team to this city and is a lost universally hated.

Quote:
He's not dirty in the sense that he never intentionally tries to hurt opponents. If my definition of dirty is too conservative, than that's fair to object.
Ehh there's been too many dirty and childish plays in Sids career for it to be all unintentional.
Quote:
I find that very hard to believe. You may dislike some of the things he does (like many of us dislike how Giroux embellishes), but you would certainly not dislike Crosby.
Again I really don't like that your making generalizations on how everyone feels or should feel about players. It may not be your intent but it's annoying. I wasn't a fan of Carcillo or Many other Flyers in recent memory that played that way.

Quote:
No, actually you're proving my point. I'm not saying that you don't hate Crosby for other reasons (seriously, do I need to repeat that again?). I'm saying that chief among those reasons is your bias against the Penguins which makes us all instantly resent anything that brings good things to the Penguins. The thought experiment I've repeatedly referenced proves that our collective bias has a significant impact on how we perceive Crosby.
No, the Cheif reason I dislike Crosby is because of the way he acts and plays I would hate Crosby if he played for Vancouver, Dallas or Anaheim. I dislike players on those teams because of they way they play not because of their team. Hence why I said I liked Jagr and Lemieux when they were on the PENGUINS.

If you wish to discuss this further please just quote this post and PM me. I don't want people to have to scroll through all this arguing in a GTD.

Old
03-14-2014, 10:42 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:

If you wish to discuss this further please just quote this post and PM me. I don't want people to have to scroll through all this arguing in a GTD.
Thank you.

Old
03-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

I'm really pumped for these games. Been about four full months since the last flyers/pens game.

What's the over/under on suspensions resulting from this home/home series?

Old
03-15-2014, 06:57 AM
SAINDON

James Neal out with a concussion.

Old
03-15-2014, 07:54 AM
Snotbubbles

I'll be at the game. The Flyers record when I attend is really good (10-2). I like their chances today.

Old
03-15-2014, 08:53 AM
bennysflyers16

Need like a 6 pt weekend by G $

Old
03-15-2014, 08:54 AM
Prongo
Beer

Thinking about betting the over here.....

Old
03-15-2014, 08:56 AM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
No it isn't. It's his behavior, and the way the refs turn a blind eye to it for the most part. The Ranger player got called for interference on the slewfoot in that video.

I don't hate Kunitz or Niskanen or MAF or Martin.
Yeah, it isn't about the jersey. There are also guys on the Flyers I don't like -- some I even hate. It's about behaviour.

Old
03-15-2014, 08:57 AM
duffy9748

Quote:
But this is when our biases come into play. When Giroux successfully dives or embellishes, what feeling do you get? You get that, "Ah, come on Claude, no need for that" feeling.

Think about how you feel when Crosby dives or embellishes successfully. You get that "Mother****ing piece of ****, give me a break, how can the refs give him that call, someone better beat his ass soon!" feeling.

That is bias. If Crosby were a Flyer, and Giroux a Pen, your feelings would be reversed. That's why I don't hold those things against Crosby. They're not exclusive to him, and I celebrate many players around the league who act in similar fashion. The difference with Neal is that there are few players that act similarly, and I happen to hate them all. I don't find my hatred of Neal to be a product of my bias. I find my hatred of Crosby, on the other hand, to be 100% a product of my bias.
Please take this conversation elsewhere.

Closed Thread