HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Marc Bergevin pull a Lou Lamoriello?

View Poll Results: Should Marc Bergevin pull a Lou Lamoriello?
Yes 117 70.91%
No 37 22.42%
Undecided 11 6.67%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2014, 08:25 AM
  #151
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 14,303
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy T View Post
How about we snag Ralph Krueger. He speaks French, doesn't he? He coached the Swiss and Edmonton Oilers before he was untimely let go.
my best friend being an oilers fan, i could go on for hours about his... lets call them idiosyncrasies.

apparently he had the oilers play man-to-man defense for a while

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:23 AM
  #152
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 27,071
vCash: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
I think I read somewhere that Subban said Boucher was the best coach he's ever had. That's good enough for me.
Boucher was very hard on Subban in regards to practice habits but when it came to game time he let him be who he is and it worked wonders for him.

It's no wonder P.K. liked Guy, he treated him like a professional not a kid

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:36 AM
  #153
beaverBFP
Registered User
 
beaverBFP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Boucher was very hard on Subban in regards to practice habits but when it came to game time he let him be who he is and it worked wonders for him.

It's no wonder P.K. liked Guy, he treated him like a professional not a kid
Can't say i spent too much time paying attention to PKs development in Hamilton, but man i wish i did.

beaverBFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 09:55 AM
  #154
Beige Van
Registered User
 
Beige Van's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,368
vCash: 2051
Looking at the results Boucher got with TB goaltending, imagine what he could do with a team that has excellent goaltending...

Beige Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:06 AM
  #155
Smokey Thompson
Registered User
 
Smokey Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 514
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beige Van View Post
Looking at the results Boucher got with TB goaltending, imagine what he could do with a team that has excellent goaltending...
Excellent goaltending and better defence. Being a trapping coach, I know Boucher would probably have the Habs playing a trap. But most teams nowadays play a trap.

A nice trap can actually be fun to watch. In our games vs Detroit, Babcock got a lead then completely shutdown his neutral zone. Our forwards simply couldn't get across the blue line. It was amazing to see.

We actually have a great team to play a trappy game. Therrien tries to trap, but it is just too complex for him IMO. If Boucher can get the PP to 20-25%, PK to 85%, and improve our transition game as to score goals off the rush and actually have some offensive zone pressure at EV, this team can be a threat with our mobile defense and elite goaltender.

Meanwhile, our coach is still trying to find the right line combinations for the PP and EV.

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:20 AM
  #156
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 27,071
vCash: 1093
The difference between Lou and Bergevin is that Lou can do whatever the **** he wants and about 3-4 people will say something.

Bergevin does anything and there are 5 million people questioning him and 50 media members licking his boot straps. It must be so confusing.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:23 AM
  #157
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 35,425
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
The difference between Lou and Bergevin is that Lou can do whatever the **** he wants and about 3-4 people will say something.

Bergevin does anything and there are 5 million people questioning him and 50 media members licking his boot straps. It must be so confusing.
Who cares about the media, Gainey did it twice, didn't stop him

If Bergevin really has made up his mind about the future of his team and who will be coaching it I doubt the media or fans like me and you stop him from that

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:26 AM
  #158
Jrham15
Registered User
 
Jrham15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,645
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Who cares about the media, Gainey did it twice, didn't stop him

If Bergevin really has made up his mind about the future of his team and who will be coaching it I doubt the media or fans like me and you stop him from that
Unless he hires an English coach and people protest outside the bell centre.

Jrham15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:29 AM
  #159
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 35,425
vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrham15 View Post
Unless he hires an English coach and people protest outside the bell centre.
Ya, the same idiots who protested for Kovalev

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:32 AM
  #160
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 27,071
vCash: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Ya, the same idiots who protested for Kovalev
Not the same people. It's the people that were complaining that they play too much anglo music at the Bell Centre.

Really, you're protesting about the ****ing music being played? Who gives a ****! Maybe they should play frere jacques and Celine Dion on repeat and everyone will be happy. Well not everyone, but 14 people who swayed a 550 million dollar company to toe the line they have drawn.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:42 AM
  #161
CGG
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: 416
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,915
vCash: 500
Didn't Therrien get hired on a 2 year contract? So his contract is almost up, right?

No way he comes back next year, unless they go really deep in the playoffs. Don't remember who said it, but the comment was that whoever replaces Therrien pretty much has the Jack Adams award locked up next year. All he has to do is stop benching Subban, let him kill penalties, and give him free reign to create offense.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:46 AM
  #162
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
The difference between Lou and Bergevin is that Lou can do whatever the **** he wants and about 3-4 people will say something.

Bergevin does anything and there are 5 million people questioning him and 50 media members licking his boot straps. It must be so confusing.
That's also why Lemaire liked NJ over Montreal.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:04 AM
  #163
FisherKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
Boucher was very hard on Subban in regards to practice habits but when it came to game time he let him be who he is and it worked wonders for him.

It's no wonder P.K. liked Guy, he treated him like a professional not a kid
What a novel concept. I wonder if Therrien has ever considered this approach.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:20 AM
  #164
Jrham15
Registered User
 
Jrham15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: windsor
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,645
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing View Post
What a novel concept. I wonder if Therrien has ever considered this approach.
Get rid of that I genuinely think he hasn't thought of that.

Jrham15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:32 AM
  #165
FisherKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Brunswick
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrham15 View Post
Get rid of that I genuinely think he hasn't thought of that.
Yeah, that's what scares me.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:36 AM
  #166
Smokey Thompson
Registered User
 
Smokey Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 514
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Didn't Therrien get hired on a 2 year contract? So his contract is almost up, right?

No way he comes back next year, unless they go really deep in the playoffs. Don't remember who said it, but the comment was that whoever replaces Therrien pretty much has the Jack Adams award locked up next year. All he has to do is stop benching Subban, let him kill penalties, and give him free reign to create offense.
3 year contract

Smokey Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:15 PM
  #167
terreur
Registered User
 
terreur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,751
vCash: 500
Step 1: Fire Therrien
Step 2: Hire Jaque Martin for the rest of the season and playoffs
Step 3 overcoach the other coaches in the playoffs and we'll have an interesting run... we have some good pieces on this team...
Step 4 Medias will force Bergevin to hire a new coach because Martin is "boring" in interviews and only fills up a piece of paper behind the bench... We don't care if he actually has a plan and he thinks about line opposition... we want a coach that will scream and get overcoached everygame...

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:22 PM
  #168
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,145
vCash: 500
I was hoping the axe would fall today.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:28 PM
  #169
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Didn't Therrien get hired on a 2 year contract? So his contract is almost up, right?

No way he comes back next year, unless they go really deep in the playoffs. Don't remember who said it, but the comment was that whoever replaces Therrien pretty much has the Jack Adams award locked up next year. All he has to do is stop benching Subban, let him kill penalties, and give him free reign to create offense.
Subban has missed a grand total of about 8 or 9 shifts this year...giving him "free reign" is the surest way to turn the team into the 11-12 version of the Habs(Cunneyworth style)...having Subban waste energy killing penalities makes no sense to me if he isn't needed there, he brings more value using those minutes 5 on 5 or on PP.

...but I'm sure common sense is optional.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:31 PM
  #170
overlords
youmyboyblou!
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Planet Squanch
Posts: 26,778
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Subban has missed a grand total of about 8 or 9 shifts this year...giving him "free reign" is the surest way to turn the team into the 11-12 version of the Habs(Cunneyworth style)...having Subban waste energy killing penalities makes no sense to me if he isn't needed there, he brings more value using those minutes 5 on 5 or on PP.

...but I'm sure common sense is optional.
Cunneyworth did the complete opposite of giving subban 'free reign'. If anything, therrien and cunneyworth's usage of their rosters are strikingly similar, and the resulting quality of play seem to line up as well.

Common sense, indeed.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:25 PM
  #171
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Cunneyworth did the complete opposite of giving subban 'free reign'. If anything, therrien and cunneyworth's usage of their rosters are strikingly similar, and the resulting quality of play seem to line up as well.

Common sense, indeed.
Cunneyworth went 18-23-9

...and Therrien has gone 64-39-12 since taking over. Not sure how you can compare the results from Cunneyworth and Therrien. Granted Cunneyworth was missing key players, but he had no system at all.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:39 PM
  #172
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Cunneyworth went 18-23-9

...and Therrien has gone 64-39-12 since taking over. Not sure how you can compare the results from Cunneyworth and Therrien. Granted Cunneyworth was missing key players, but he had no system at all.
I could have Therriens record if I went from the team we had in 2012 to adding Markov, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and the least amount of injuries probably in club history.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:43 PM
  #173
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 34,934
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
I could have Therriens record if I went from the team we had in 2012 to adding Markov, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and the least amount of injuries probably in club history.
Yup, because coaching in the NHL is easy...must be why they get paid millions...


Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:49 PM
  #174
Ezpz
No mad pls
 
Ezpz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Yup, because coaching in the NHL is easy...must be why they get paid millions...

It's not easy. You missed the entire point of my post congrats.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:55 PM
  #175
Habsawce
Registered User
 
Habsawce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 27,071
vCash: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Yup, because coaching in the NHL is easy...must be why they get paid millions...

Coaching is not easy, but when all you do is write down a line up and stick with it through the game and don't make adjustments how hard is it really? Running a practice takes literally a week of reading to learn when you use the same tired of strategies and Gallant runs most of the other aspects of coaching.

ZZZzzZz I'm pretty sure he could do about the same job as Therrien has done almost by accident. I bet the coach of the Montreal Canadiens could just use this forum as a guide and coach the team better than Therrien. Hire someone to constantly read the forums, see what the consensus is and implement it, easy peasy; internet coaching at it's finest!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:17 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.