HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best Division in the NHL

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 07:26 AM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Best Division in the NHL

Last year the Northwest was the NHL's best division with 471 points.

Followed by
Northeast - 447
Atlantic - 441
Pacific - 435
Central - 431
Southeast - 390

Atlantic - Flyers & Devils should be a playoff given. Islanders should be a 70/30 bet to make the playoff and the Rangers a 60/40 bet to finally make it back. Penguins will hoping for ping pong balls come spring time

Northeast - Ottawa is a lock. Leafs should be an 80/20 bet to be back in the playoffs. Bruins a 50/50 bet to get in. Sabres improving, but probably a 20/80 chance to return to the playoffs. Montreal is a longshot, but with Gainey should be on the right track

Southeast - Tampa should be a good bet to win the division again. Capitals & Hurricanes will stuggle to make the playoffs 40/60 odds to get in. Panthers are improving but still a year or two away. Thrashers had a chance, but chances took a big blow with this weeks car accident.

Central - Red Wings & Blues are sure bets to be pushing triple digits. Nashville, Columbus & Chicago are all doubtful to be to be playing come mid-April

Pacific - Dallas is a lock for the playoffs. I also believe that Anaheim will be back this spring call them 90/10. With L.A. it all comes down to health, they have the talent, but the injuries have already begun, call them a 55/45 bet. San jose should be better and has a chance; although the injurt to Stuart is a big blow, call them 25/75. Phoenix is in trouble and will have a better shot at Ovechkin than the playoffs.

Northwest - Colorado & Vancouver should be givens. I thought Minnesota was going to take a step back and stuggle to get in, but no Ronning or Gaborik could prove fatal, call them 40/60. Edmonton needs to resolve the Comrie situation either by signing or trade, how quickly that happens may determine their fate, i'd list them at 60/40 to be in. Calgary is getting better, but still an unlikely bet to make the playoffs, call them a 20/80 bet to make the playoffs.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:45 AM
JONIK

Send a message via ICQ to JONIK Send a message via AIM to JONIK Send a message via MSN to JONIK
I'm going to go with the Atlantic. The only reason is because I feel that the Islanders and the Rangers have a pretty descent change of making the playoffs.

Old
10-02-2003, 08:17 AM
Goalie Terrorizer

My picks :

1.Northwest
2.Atlantic
3.Northeast
4.Central
5.Southwest
6.Southeast

Old
10-02-2003, 08:27 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

Followed by
Northeast - 447
Atlantic - 441
Pacific - 435
Central - 431
Southeast - 390

Atlantic - Flyers & Devils should be a playoff given. Islanders should be a 70/30 bet to make the playoff and the Rangers a 60/40 bet to finally make it back. Penguins will hoping for ping pong balls come spring time

Northeast - Ottawa is a lock. Leafs should be an 80/20 bet to be back in the playoffs. Bruins a 50/50 bet to get in. Sabres improving, but probably a 20/80 chance to return to the playoffs. Montreal is a longshot, but with Gainey should be on the right track

Southeast - Tampa should be a good bet to win the division again. Capitals & Hurricanes will stuggle to make the playoffs 40/60 odds to get in. Panthers are improving but still a year or two away. Thrashers had a chance, but chances took a big blow with this weeks car accident.

Central - Red Wings & Blues are sure bets to be pushing triple digits. Nashville, Columbus & Chicago are all doubtful to be to be playing come mid-April

Pacific - Dallas is a lock for the playoffs. I also believe that Anaheim will be back this spring call them 90/10. With L.A. it all comes down to health, they have the talent, but the injuries have already begun, call them a 55/45 bet. San jose should be better and has a chance; although the injurt to Stuart is a big blow, call them 25/75. Phoenix is in trouble and will have a better shot at Ovechkin than the playoffs.

Northwest - Colorado & Vancouver should be givens. I thought Minnesota was going to take a step back and stuggle to get in, but no Ronning or Gaborik could prove fatal, call them 40/60. Edmonton needs to resolve the Comrie situation either by signing or trade, how quickly that happens may determine their fate, i'd list them at 60/40 to be in. Calgary is getting better, but still an unlikely bet to make the playoffs, call them a 20/80 bet to make the playoffs.
Last Year/ Projected this Year
Northwest- 471/454
Northeast - 447/450
Atlantic - 441/474
Pacific - 435/452
Central - 431/432
Southeast - 390/394

Old
10-02-2003, 10:39 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
Atlantic will be the strongest, I say Isles, Devils, Philly and Rangers will all sqeek in the playoffs. That is quite the feat IMO.

North West may be the 2nd strongest
Northwest for me....as they already acomplished 4 out 5 teams making the playoffs last season

Avs
Vancouver
Minnesota
Edmonton
Calgary

tough schedule. Atlantic would get my second place vote, but i think the northwest takes the cake.

Old
10-02-2003, 10:43 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Northwest for me....as they already acomplished 4 out 5 teams making the playoffs last season

Avs
Vancouver
Minnesota
Edmonton
Calgary

tough schedule. Atlantic would get my second place vote, but i think the northwest takes the cake.

No Comrie & no Gaborik could prove costly to those teams and could slide from the top 8.

Old
10-02-2003, 11:02 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
No Comrie & no Gaborik could prove costly to those teams and could slide from the top 8.
True, but they could still sign. Plus, I think the West's bottom teams are a little bit tougher than the East's teams which just makes it that much harder for the Northwest division. JMO

Old
10-02-2003, 11:17 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Atlantic will be the strongest, I say Isles, Devils, Philly and Rangers will all sqeek in the playoffs. That is quite the feat IMO.

North West may be the 2nd strongest

By the same logic...Ottawa,Toronto,Bruins,Buffalo (or Montreal) can be in the playoffs too.

Ottawa >= NJ
Toronto and Flyers are very close
Bruins >= Isles

With the Rangers it's a tough thing to predict...During the last couple of years on paper they were better than many teams in the NHL but finished behind much weaker opponents.

So they can be better than Montreal/Buffalo/Bruins or worse then all of them

Old
10-02-2003, 11:36 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Ottawa >= NJ
Toronto and Flyers are very close
Bruins >= Isles
The Bruins are not better than the Islanders. The Islanders have a defense, and more than one line. The Leafs are not as good as the Flyers.

Old
10-02-2003, 11:39 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
In terms of power I see it like this

NJ > Col
Philly > Vancouver
NYI > Edmonton
NYR > Minnesoda
Calgary >> Pittsburgh
i totally disagree.

Old
10-02-2003, 11:58 AM
Thanatos

Will Dunham or Blackburn carry the NYR's to the playoffs? IMO, no.
Will Theodore rebound from last season's poor performance and push the Habs back into the playoffs? IMO, yes.

Plus, I could easily see Boston not going anywhere if Potvin doesn't show up and the Leaf's fortunes rest on the back of a guy over 38, Belfour. If Belfour falls during the season, the Leafs are going nowhere. As important to Toronto, the Leafs are carrying Roberts and Joey N. and a bunch of other aging forwards, I really think that crew might not stay healthy enough throughout the season to make a playoff run.

Old
10-03-2003, 05:27 PM
monkey_00*

Quote:

Followed by
Northeast - 447
Atlantic - 441
Pacific - 435
Central - 431
Southeast - 390

Northeast should be tops again this year as well and I think they will finish the season with more total points than what they had last......Buffalo and Montreal will make gains on the plus side......I think we'll also see more of the same from Toronto and Boston and then you have Ottawa who I'm picking to win the President's trophy.

Old
10-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Aerolanche

Quote:
NJ > Col
In terms of power? What, firepower?

Who's going to score for the Devils? Their number one center, Igor Larionov?

Old
10-04-2003, 12:23 AM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
In terms of power? What, firepower?

Who's going to score for the Devils? Their number one center, Igor Larionov?
In terms of the fact that the Devils have a goaltender while the Avalanche have a pylon. Secondly, the Devils did fine last season without a "number one center". Give me four lines that can score over one line that can any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:31 AM
Strizzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
In terms of the fact that the Devils have a goaltender while the Avalanche have a pylon. Secondly, the Devils did fine last season without a "number one center". Give me four lines that can score over one line that can any day of the week and twice on sundays.
They have two top of the notch lines, not one.

Old
10-04-2003, 12:40 AM
meehan

Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzi
They have two top of the notch lines, not one.
That was more of a general statement and I wasn't necessarily saying Colorado isn't a deep team. I just wanted to say that you don't need a # 1 center to win. And yeah having 4 lines that can score is better then having 2(or 3).

Old
10-04-2003, 05:38 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meehan
Aebischer is 4th among goalies this preseason in save% with .957.Probably the best damn pylon in the league then.

Old
10-04-2003, 06:35 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Northwest - Colorado and Vancouver alone could do it, but they have four playoff potential teams.

Pacific second.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:26 AM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
In terms of power I see it like this

NJ > Col
Philly > Vancouver
NYI > Edmonton
NYR > Minnesoda
Calgary >> Pittsburgh
Wow...when did the Wild get a Coke sponsership?

Also, you're way off on all the Western teams...with the exception of Calgary and that's a nobrainer.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:39 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Vancouver is just worse then Philly
Fantastic reasoning.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:45 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
The Bruins are not better than the Islanders. The Islanders have a defense, and more than one line. The Leafs are not as good as the Flyers.
Interesting.....How is Bruins one line team and Isles not?

I am pretty sure B's won't put all eggs in one basket...You won't see
a line Samsonov-Thornton-Murray.

By having lines
Knuble(30 g last year) - Thornton - Murray
Samsonov - Rolston/Green - Lapointe/Huml/Zam
Axelsson - Rolston/Green - Lapointe/Huml/Zam/Samuelsson
MacCarthy - Stock - Grosek

they have goal scorer in each line...
May be I missed an important signing by the Isles but I don't see the Isles as more offensive team(and they weren't last year).

Yes Yashin,Peca are the stars...but then who? Blake? Bates? Who?
B's have better goal scorers top end talent and depth scorers.

Yashin might be a superstars but Murray outscored him by a high margin in each of the last two years...then Thornton, healthy Samsonov...Rolston can be good for about 25 goals. Knuble might be a one year wonder but so is Blake.

D is also better than the last year...at least we won't see horrible combination of Girard/Berard

Boynton, McGillis, Gill, O'Donnell, Jillson(Jurcina), Moran if not in goal department than at least on defensive side is imroved. I still think Isles have a better D but not all star.

In the goal I think it's very comparable . I don't know what to expect from Potvin/Raycroft combination but same goes to Snow/DiPietro.

Even in the coaching dept. we have a wash...Two rookie coaches.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:46 AM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
OK, Vancouver still doesn't have secondary scoring while Philly has offense on their 3rd and 4th line. Philly has a stronger defense adn both have the same type of goaltending.
Wow. Do you just type things based on personal opinion or do you even look at the numbers?

Vancouver was *2nd* in the NHL in goal scoring last season while Philadelphia sat *17th*. So, you're wrong.

The Flyers replaced Roman Cechmanek with Jeff Hackett... that's a downgrade. The Canucks kept Dan Cloutier and added a decent 1st-2nd goalie in Johan Hedberg. So, you're wrong.

Jovanovski, Ohlund, Salo, Malik, Sopel and Allen/Slegr > Desjardins, Johnsson, Ragnarsson, Weinrich, Pitkanen and Vandermeer.

So... surprise, surprise, you're wrong.

Old
10-04-2003, 07:55 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Wow. Do you just type things based on personal opinion or do you even look at the numbers?

Vancouver was *2nd* in the NHL in goal scoring last season while Philadelphia sat *17th*. So, you're wrong.

The Flyers replaced Roman Cechmanek with Jeff Hackett... that's a downgrade. The Canucks kept Dan Cloutier and added a decent 1st-2nd goalie in Johan Hedberg. So, you're wrong.

Jovanovski, Ohlund, Salo, Malik, Sopel and Allen/Slegr > Desjardins, Johnsson, Ragnarsson, Weinrich, Pitkanen and Vandermeer.

So... surprise, surprise, you're wrong.
Even if Vancouver was *2nd* in scoring and Philly was *17th* last year, that doesn't affect this year. Philly now has a full year of Tony Amonte, Sami Kapanen, and a healthy Simon Gagne. As for the defense and goaltending, Philly was *1st* last year in goals allowed, and improved their defense through the addition of Pitkanen. I don't see much to choose between Cloutier and Hackett. Both are decent goalies that you would never want to rely on in the playoffs.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:05 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl
Interesting.....How is Bruins one line team and Isles not?

I am pretty sure B's won't put all eggs in one basket...You won't see
a line Samsonov-Thornton-Murray.
And I don't expect them too. That second line isn't bad, save for the right side, fair enough, they're a two line team. But that third line is pretty weak. Islanders have the edge in depth.

Quote:
By having lines
Knuble(30 g last year) - Thornton - Murray
Samsonov - Rolston/Green - Lapointe/Huml/Zam
Axelsson - Rolston/Green - Lapointe/Huml/Zam/Samuelsson
MacCarthy - Stock - Grosek

they have goal scorer in each line...
May be I missed an important signing by the Isles but I don't see the Isles as more offensive team(and they weren't last year).
Am I missing something here? Where are the goal scorers on the 3rd and 4th lines? PJ Axelsson? Career high 17 goals last year. Travis Green (assuming Rolston is the second line center, which he should be)? Hasn't scored more than 13 in four years. Lapointe? No. Huml? Nope. Zaumner? Try again. Samuelsson? Rookie.

Quote:
Yes Yashin,Peca are the stars...but then who? Blake? Bates? Who?
B's have better goal scorers top end talent and depth scorers.
Top end, yes. Not the depth. Blake scored 25 last year, Scatchard 27, Bates put up more than Green, but you write them off quickly. Top end scoring edge: Bruins. Bottom six: Islanders.

Quote:
D is also better than the last year...at least we won't see horrible combination of Girard/Berard

Boynton, McGillis, Gill, O'Donnell, Jillson(Jurcina), Moran if not in goal department than at least on defensive side is imroved. I still think Isles have a better D but not all star.
Hamrlik, Johnsson, Aucion, Niinimaa. That's a hell of a lot better than the B's top four. Edge to the Islanders.

Quote:
In the goal I think it's very comparable . I don't know what to expect from Potvin/Raycroft combination but same goes to Snow/DiPietro.
Agreed. Personally I'd rather have DiPietro/Snow, but that's just my choice. Call it a push.

Quote:
Even in the coaching dept. we have a wash...Two rookie coaches.
The Islanders coach at least has head coaching experience at some level. Can't say that for the Bruins. Edge to the Islanders.

In my opinion, as a fan of neither team, the Islanders get the edge.

Old
10-04-2003, 08:18 AM
BruinsGirl

B's coach Sullivan has a coaching experience too. He was coaching a Providence B's team last year which was very good last year. I believe if Sullivan wasn't preoccupied with the parent club (he was interim b's coach at the end of the season and in the playoffs)during the playoffs baby B's would've advanced much deeper. Also he is very familiar with our system since he was coaching our young guys.

And another thing about goaltending...If things won't go too well with our goaltending we have Hannu Toivonen (our last year first round pick)
who was dominating in Europe and has two shut outs in preseason(which doesn't mean much, I know) but made critical saves has very good reflexes, positioning and just need a little bit more experience playing in the smaller rink.
Then (unfortunately) we still have a depth goalie Shields who isn't that bad of a backup.

I am not saying that B's will advance far in the playoffs but you can't tell me they are less playoff contender than the Isles.

Closed Thread