HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best Young Dmen!!!

Old
03-15-2014, 01:27 PM
Kyle37

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
So we're not happy with Fowler (22) taking a leap forward at both ends of the ice becoming a top pairing guy, and Lindholm (20) coming into the league as a rookie and slotting in pretty seamlessly into a 2nd pairing role.

Yeah, I'm fuming personally.

Sorry, but you don't know what you're talking about.
Lindholm is a stud, never said otherwise. And Fowler I just said has broken out this year. Personally I like Fowler more but Lindholm is still an unreal dman

Kyle37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 01:28 PM
Kyle37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0bjectiveC0mput0r View Post
I looked to see what you would say about the Blues.
Weren't there.

Then I looked @ my Canucks and you forgot our best young Dman and arguably best Dman period, in Chris Tanev.
I did mention the blues in a comment, honestly I spaced on them. And I love Tanev but he's 24

Old
03-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Kyle37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WangMustGo View Post
For the Islanders right now its deHaan, the kid is just so smart and smooth. He is really impressive, the kid has some great wheels, and never makes mistakes. If he stays healthy I think he will end up being the best defenseman on the Island, no slight to Hamonic, Reinhart, or Pokka who should all be very good.
de Haan is good, and will be really good. I see them like a Stevens-Niedermayer type. A solid stay at home who can hit and a smooth skating puck mover. And personally back in those days, I would have taken Stevens over Niedermayer

Old
03-15-2014, 01:32 PM
Mischa
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 162
Maatta is obviously the pens best young one but Despres deserves a mention. there has actually been a maatta vs despres on the pens board (before the olympics) and he has some brilliant games.

had shero not acquired Scuderi, he'd likely have been Letang's partner

Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 01:37 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle37 View Post
There are a lot of good, young dman around the NHL making significant impacts already. My opinion on who will be each team's best, 22 and under, either playing or in the system. What's everyone's take?

Anaheim Ducks: His development hasn't progressed as many had hoped, but Cam Fowler's puck moving ability for his age is second to none.
just curious. why hasn't fowler's development progressed as many have hoped?

he's a #1 d-man right now on our team playing 1st PP/PK, on our shutdown pair.. and as your post indicates hes still very very young.
whats not to like?

last year he was actually pretty good, except for his ridiculous snakebitten-ness (definitely not a word ahahahaha). he made huge strides defensively last year and has carried it over this year and is hopefully still improving.

bumperkisser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 01:45 PM
WangMustGo
NYI

Quote:
de Haan is good, and will be really good. I see them like a Stevens-Niedermayer type. A solid stay at home who can hit and a smooth skating puck mover. And personally back in those days, I would have taken Stevens over Niedermayer
In terms of style I would agree with you, but I think Dehaan has higher upside. Dehaan's skating combined with his hockey IQ is what separates them. He knows where he needs to be, and he can get there before anyone else. I like Hamonic, he's a very good second pairing defenseman, but I think Dehaan has top pairing upside, maybe even a #1.

WangMustGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 01:59 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Buffalo Sabres: Slim pickins for players 22 and under, but I think Nikita Zadorov will turn into a good NHL player. This sound change if Buffalo does the right thing in the summer and drafts Ekblad.
"Slim pickins?"

Ristolainen - 19
Zadorov - 18
McCabe - 20
Pysyk - 22

All of these guys will easily be top-4 defensemen. Risto and Zadorov are roughly equal at this point, although Risto is almost always ranked slightly ahead of Zadorov. Pysyk has looked pretty solid in his NHL time so far, although he is still polishing his game in the AHL. McCabe captained the USA team to gold at the WJCs and was a tournament all-star and is kicking butt at Wisconsin.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
Maatta is obviously the pens best young one but Despres deserves a mention. there has actually been a maatta vs despres on the pens board (before the olympics) and he has some brilliant games.

had shero not acquired Scuderi, he'd likely have been Letang's partner
I'm not really a fan of Scuderi being brought back, Shero needed to have more faith in Despres before the Maatta rise in training camp, the team still had a solid defense before the Scuderi signing.

But yeah, Maatta is tops for Pens right now with Despres and another guy Shero really covets is Harrington.

I'd rank them..

Maatta
Despres
Bortuzzo - He has to be mentioned, then it's prospects after.
Pouliot
Harrington
Dumoulin

Then it's tough to say, I like Samuelsson and so does the team, but some Pens fans don't and those same said he'd never play an NHL game, yet he did. Several.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 03:38 PM
The Dream
Maximum Overdrive

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers: The Flyers need to do something about their lack of defensive prospects. It's ugly. I don't see any of their prospects having a significant NHL career, and their youngest dman on the team is 24 year old Luke Schenn.
I am pretty excited to see Ghost in a Flyers jersey. He is an amazing skater, and he has huge offensive potential. Morin has doubled his production in Rimouski despite being in a very defensive role with limited PP time. Hagg has not took off offensively but he continues to play solid as one of the youngest players in the SHL. I am confident at least 1 of them will be significant contributors, but who knows, maybe all of them have a ton of success, or the opposite as well.

The Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 03:42 PM
Brewster

Marincin should be added to the bit about the Oilers. Has been steady defensively and providing a consistent first pass for our forwards while playing tough minutes with Petry.

Brewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:07 PM
Solus

Torey Krug deserves a mention for the Bruins, he's made more of an impact this year than Hamilton. He's been a major catalyst in turning the Bruins powerplay around going from a bottom 5 of the league PP last season to top 5-10 this year, leading the team in PP points. He trails only players like Karlsson, Weber and Chara in goals by defensemen, not bad for an under-sized 22 year old defenseman.

Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Kyle37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solus View Post
Torey Krug deserves a mention for the Bruins, he's made more of an impact this year than Hamilton. He's been a major catalyst in turning the Bruins powerplay around going from a bottom 5 of the league PP last season to top 5-10 this year, leading the team in PP points. He trails only players like Karlsson, Weber and Chara in goals by defensemen, not bad for an under-sized 22 year old defenseman.
agreed. I'm a huge Krug fan, he's just 2 years older than Hamilton so I'd say for his age, Hamilton is more developed than Krug at 20

Old
03-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Lebowski

I have very high hopes for Trouba. I fully expect him to become one of the league's top D in a not so distant future.

Maata looks very promising as well.

Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:27 PM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Eric Gelinas, while not greatest defensively, has incredible offensive skills. I really think this kid can develop into something special.

Hopefully Devils fans will get to see him play with Larsson next season.

Merril is also a very talented defender. He shows composure way ahead of his age.

Add in the likes of Santini and Severson and the Devils have some excellent blue line talent, waiting in the wings.

They just need to get rid of DeBoer. The fact that the likes of Bryce Salvador, Anton Volchenkov and Peter Harrold have had more game time than Larsson is truly disgusting.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:30 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Mention canucks but no tanev?, the guy went from a #8 to a #3 d-man in two years

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:51 PM
Kyle37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Mention canucks but no tanev?, the guy went from a #8 to a #3 d-man in two years
I am a Canucks fan and I love Tanev, but he's not 22 and under

Old
03-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Jester9881

Quote:
I said nothing bad about them, but Hamonic and Reinhart IMO are the best young dmen you have
I'd wager that many isles fans feel that Calvin de Haan is already a better defenseman than Travis Hamonic, no slight to Travis.

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:39 AM
416Leafer

The group of rookie D this year is VERY good. Trouba, Jones, Krug, Maatta, Lindholm, Rielly, Murray, etc.

Looks like another wave similar to the 2008 draft of ridiculous defencemen. Pretty early right now to say which will be the best, though I'd give the edge to Trouba, Jones, and Maatta probably.

But then again, how would we have ranked Schenn, Bogosian, Myers, etc 2 years after being drafted compared to Josi, Karlsson, McDonagh (2007, I know), etc.

Some guys have GREAT rookie/sophmore seasons at age 18/19/20ish, and then plateau or even regress. Other guys don't start showing high potential until they're 21+.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:42 AM
jvirk

For Buffalo it should be included that Ristolainen is in that group...especially since he was selected 8th overall (ahead of Zadorov). Has similar size to him as well (both are hulking defensemen and a scary combo to say the least).

Game winner at WJC
Risto is a sound defensemen who makes the correct and simple play...really looking forward to Zadorov AND Ristolainen.

Although some may disagree, I'd also include Mark Pysyk because I think he's going to mold into a reallyyyyy good d-man, maybe not great because he'll play simple, but supposedly Murray really likes him when he saw him in Rochester. He could be a stable top 4 guy, just doesn't have the ceiling as Risto and Zadorov and Myers do.

jvirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:55 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by phosphene View Post
You're out to lunch on this one. The Sabres have one of the best collection of D prospects in the league.
I won't pile on- because this and other Sabres fans have already mentioned the glaring omissions- but I think the OP took a lot of time and effort to write this up, and it's a good superficial read.

SenzZen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:59 AM
WornWithPride
24 cups? Who cares.

Barrie of Colorado needs more than luck to become a top-10 dman in the NHL. He plays well under P.Roy because he has a run and gun type of game. I see him pintching numerous times without being successful but the structure they play usually has an F3 coming back to support. Also, Varly bails out alot of the Dmen on our team when they screw up.

Agree he has good offensive upside, but he needs to get stronger on his feet in order to become a top 2 on the team dman.

I just hope he doesn't end up like J-M Liles.

WornWithPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:31 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty zdeno View Post
Torey Krug is the clear cut winner here.
leads all deemen in rookie scoring 36 points to maata's 28.
Krug is 4th in points for a rookie,
and 5th overall for deemen.

Considering big buff if a forward most of the year and chara plays forward on the PP. Krus is really only behind weber and karlsson and ahead of some guy named subban.
So much

Why should defencemen be judged by point total alone.

Krug has been very good for the Bruins on the PP and has been a solid 3rd pairing defenceman. Definitely a very valuable contribution given the struggles of the Bruins' PP over the last few seasons.

But even looking at the Bruins alone, Krug is not in the discussion with Hamilton in terms of long term potential. As far as other defencemen around the league go, Krug is pretty far down the list. There are probably 5 defencemen in the league younger than Krug that are already better than him.

almostawake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:47 AM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 1075
I don't think the Sabres have slim pickens whatsoever.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:43 AM
Taze em

Good writeup. A couple things on the Blackhawks. You seem to be down on Leddy but I'd just like to point out that just because he's played as a #5D for 3 years doesn't mean that is all he can do. He's behind two of the best veteran pairings in the NHL. At this point in there careers Duncan Keith was playing in the AHL while Leddy is creeping up on his 100th pt in the NHL.

I don't think it's fair to say he is always going to be a depth D just because he's a depth D now. I expect him to be a top pairing defenseman and would be pretty disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Taze em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:31 PM
MurphyDump

Quote:
Originally Posted by nifty zdeno View Post
Torey Krug is the clear cut winner here.
leads all deemen in rookie scoring 36 points to maata's 28.
Krug is 4th in points for a rookie,
and 5th overall for deemen.

Considering big buff if a forward most of the year and chara plays forward on the PP. Krus is really only behind weber and karlsson and ahead of some guy named subban.
Krug was a healthy scratch against the Coyotes the other night...why?

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned, but Maatta has been playing against some pretty big talent due to the injuries to the Penguins blueline.

During one stretch, he and Niskanen were the top pairing, and they were winning.

Not saying who should win, but just adding this to the discussion.

MurphyDump is offline   Reply With Quote