HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Even Rossi says Orpik stinks

Old
03-14-2014, 10:36 AM
Shockmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Yes he does. I believe he is writing a biography for Geno so he obviously has close personal contact with him and several other players. I'm sure it's a tough situation to be in since the players probably don't want to talk to a guy that is calling them out in their articles.

That said, it's their job to write about the Penguins and part of that is ruffling some feathers when things aren't going well. Rossi and Yohe almost seem defensive of the team, as if they are employed by them.
To be fair, it isn't just Rossi and Yohe and it isn't just with the Penguins. It seems like the majority of the Pittsburgh sports media is like that will all three teams. It's almost as if our media is scared stiff to write anything negative about any of the teams.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
To be fair, it isn't just Rossi and Yohe and it isn't just with the Penguins. It seems like the majority of the Pittsburgh sports media is like that will all three teams. It's almost as if our media is scared stiff to write anything negative about any of the teams.
That's definitely fair and I touched on that earlier (or meant to). So what is it about Pittsburgh media then?

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 10:58 AM
ObsessedCreative*

Quote:
Yeah I think that's the most frustrating part about this for many fans. I know Pittsburgh is a different media market than Vancouver, NY, Toronto, Montreal etc. but a Penguins coaches press conference are so much more of a PR session that the others. It seems like the media is either too stupid, afraid, or don't really care to ask the difficult questions.

When you have Josh Yohe saying sarcastic things in his tweets like "yeah, Bylsma is an idiot" then you know they aren't having an honest conversation. I know that many fans on here are too cynical given the team's success in the regular season, but each year it's like groundhog day. "the penguins lead the league in man games lost and are in 1st place. you can't criticize anything". And then the playoffs roll around, we get clocked, and then the media and team have no answers. Rinse, repeat.
THAT tweet was the final straw that broke the camel's back for me and I couldn't stomach anymore of his moronic tweets. I had to unfollow.

ObsessedCreative* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:01 AM
ObsessedCreative*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
I think there's some element of truth to teams using the media as a sort of sound piece, but my experience in this realm is still very limited and I'm still not really in a position to comment on it much. I would say, as far as being critical and covering the team is concerned, there is a balance you have to find no matter what outlet you're working with.

Rob definitely knows hockey. There's no question about that. He and Josh are two of the nicest, hardest-working people I know.
No offense man, but this all seems like the "good ol' boy" suck job "reporting" that those two clowns put out, but when in Rome I suppose...

Old
03-14-2014, 11:04 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

Quote:
That's definitely fair and I touched on that earlier (or meant to). So what is it about Pittsburgh media then?
I'll take a stab... Pittsburgh sports journalists are simply giving the (vast majority) of their readers what they want -- pom poms and sunshine. I don't know that most people from the area actually want their favorite teams "challenged." People from this valley are extremely loyal. Sometimes to the point where even mild, valid criticism sounds like trash talk against "their guys."

Just my two cents.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:06 AM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
No offense man, but this all seems like the "good ol' boy" suck job "reporting" that those two clowns put out, but when in Rome I suppose...
Well look, it's in his best interest, as a blogger, to not bite the hand that throws him a bone every once in a while. Getting featured on something Rossi is doing is big for him, why would he jeopardize that?

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:07 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

Yeah... exactly.

It's not that hard to figure out. Not that I don't appreciate the article and candor... I do. But what do you guys truly expect him to say?

Old
03-14-2014, 11:11 AM
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedCreative View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. I just can't comment on the day-to-day aspects of the job because I'm not in the room with the players on that type of basis.

For example, I can write an article critical of Brooks Orpik, tweet about it all day, and the next day I don't have to go stand in a stall in front of Brooks Orpik and deal with any potential backlash from that in my work.

I had a lot of personal expectations on what the day-to-day of covering this team would look like. They were all way off the mark. My main contention, again, is that these two guys are the hardest working reporters I know.

Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:11 AM
ObsessedCreative*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Well look, it's in his best interest, as a blogger, to not bite the hand that throws him a bone every once in a while. Getting featured on something Rossi is doing is big for him, why would he jeopardize that?
No, believe me I get that, but this is just the type of crap that keeps this vicious cycle of "reporting" going...

Old
03-14-2014, 11:27 AM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

I just wish someone would question Dan about some of his decisions. For example, Despres. When he was asked about him last week, Dan looked dumbfounded. Drank his water and had his signature pause before talking. Take him to task and ask some difficult questions. That is what journalists are suppose to do. Not JUST write feel good stories about how great the team is all the time. But alas, we are the "Get along Gang" and everything is always sunshine and roses.

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
I just wish someone would question Dan about some of his decisions. For example, Despres. When he was asked about him last week, Dan looked dumbfounded. Drank his water and had his signature pause before talking. Take him to task and ask some difficult questions. That is what journalists are suppose to do. Not JUST write feel good stories about how great the team is all the time. But alas, we are the "Get along Gang" and everything is always sunshine and roses.
I'm still waiting for someone to question him about the use of Iginla.

Shockmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
I'll take a stab... Pittsburgh sports journalists are simply giving the (vast majority) of their readers what they want -- pom poms and sunshine. I don't know that most people from the area actually want their favorite teams "challenged." People from this valley are extremely loyal. Sometimes to the point where even mild, valid criticism sounds like trash talk against "their guys."

Just my two cents.
That's a solid point. I've been away from Pittsburgh for a while and when I bring up things to my hockey friends back home, they tend to look at me like I'm crazy. There must be something in the water.

Old
03-14-2014, 11:37 AM
steveg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to question him about the use of Iginla.
I don't even like to THINK about that...of all the things I've been frustrated about regarding DB, this was perhaps the BIGGEST...

What a WASTE of trade...which had NOTHING to do with Jarome himself, but in DB's use (mis-use, I mean) of him...

GEEZ.

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Til the End of Time

i think the pittsburgh mindset in general is kind of defensive about the city.

i recently went traveling many/most of the major cities in the us, interviewing for residency positions. during these interviews, programs tried to sell us not only on the medical aspects of the program, but they spent nearly half the time trying to sell applicants on the cities themselves.

but pittsburgh stood out. the upmc and agh folks seemed hell-bent on proving that pittsburgh is a great city, ad nauseum. they seemed very defensive and were over-compensating.

i guess you could call it pride, but i got the sense that pittsburgh people were very defensive about their city because its not traditionally viewed as a sexy destination.

other people that knew nothing about pittsburgh whose only experience in the city was from the interviews made similar comments.

my point is i think this defensive nature may be permeating into the sports media. all the media around pittsburgh feel this huge desire to prove that pittsburgh is a great place and a great team. it's kind of embarrassing imo.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:39 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt
ti kallisti

Quote:
There must be something in the water.
Sometimes even in a very literal sense, yes.

Old
03-14-2014, 11:39 AM
Til the End of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post

Just my two cents.
i agree with this 100%.

Til the End of Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:43 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post

i recently went traveling many/most of the major cities in the us, interviewing for residency positions. during these interviews, programs tried to sell us not only on the medical aspects of the program, but they spent nearly half the time trying to sell applicants on the cities themselves.

but pittsburgh stood out. the upmc and agh folks seemed hell-bent on proving that pittsburgh is a great city, ad nauseum. they seemed very defensive and were over-compensating.

i guess you could call it pride, but i got the sense that pittsburgh people were very defensive about their city because its not traditionally viewed as a sexy destination.

other people that knew nothing about pittsburgh whose only experience in the city was from the interviews made similar comments.

my point is i think this defensive nature may be permeating into the sports media. all the media around pittsburgh feel this huge desire to prove that pittsburgh is a great place and a great team. it's kind of embarrassing imo.
Interesting point. I'm not sure if I see the connection though. Pittsburgh as a sports city has a very strong history. The media doesn't need to sell the city or team to people. Being blessed with 4 of the best hockey players over the past 30 years is enough to sell the team to the world. I think it's more of selling locals what they want to hear, as BlindWilly said.

Old
03-14-2014, 11:43 AM
steveg

Quote:

I think you are probably right, about the "defensiveness" or "inferiority complex" around the city. I don't live in Pittsburgh anymore -- job moved me elsewhere, but family is all still there. Since I've moved, I've lived in several different cities, and when I tell someone I'm from Pittsburgh, it seems the general image conjured up in the mind of the person I'm talking to is "rust belt, polluted, can't-see-the-sun through all the smoke and soot, and didn't some river catch on fire up there?" (the river on fire thing may be the worst -- they are confusing Pittsburgh with CLEVELAND!! LOL/JK)

Anyway, I think that this may be part of the reason why folks feel they need to "sell" the city...not condoning it, just thinking about where this all may have stemmed from...

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:45 AM
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
I don't even like to THINK about that...of all the things I've been frustrated about regarding DB, this was perhaps the BIGGEST...

What a WASTE of trade...which had NOTHING to do with Jarome himself, but in DB's use (mis-use, I mean) of him...

GEEZ.
I think the two star centers on this team had a lot more to do with where he played than the head coach did.

Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 11:49 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
I think the two star centers on this team had a lot more to do with where he played than the head coach did.
You truly believe that Sid told DB that he didn't want Iginla on his line? I just can't buy that.

Old
03-14-2014, 11:57 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:

it's because most people think Pittsburgh is dirty and sucks when it is actually a great city to live in

SteelFish87* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:14 PM
DoktorZaius

Good article by Jesse. It seems ridiculous (and egotistical) to me that Rossi still has the byline there, and the "about the author" is his too, even though all he's providing is the space and not the content. At best he's the editor in this scenario, no? And usually the editor doesn't get on the byline at all (unless he's made serious contributions), much less the full thing.

DoktorZaius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:20 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Nice work, Jesse.

Slightly off-topic (and not directed at anyone specifically), I was looking at Niskanen's stats just now to see how much being paired with Orpik was affecting him negatively (surprisingly little) and I'm floored by Nisky's overall metrics this year. It's no secret he's having a great year, but his "advanced" statline looks like friggin Lidstrom's used to look.

I mean, if Niskanen's behind the Crosby line and a goal is scored, there's an 80% chance it's the Pens that scored. Without him on the ice, that number drops to 49%.

Hell of a way to head into UFA.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:25 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Rob didn't write this, I did.

I don't think the point of all this is that Orpik stinks, I think the point is that DB has to be very careful who he pairs him with based on the metrics alongside guys like Scuderi, Engo, etc.

Father time has caught up to Brooks Orpik and he's gotta have a mobile D partner to play with.
Jesse, whenever a defenseman has to be "insulated" with a particular partner, isn't it time to get rid of that guy once and for all?

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:27 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
Good article by Jesse. It seems ridiculous (and egotistical) to me that Rossi still has the byline there, and the "about the author" is his too, even though all he's providing is the space and not the content. At best he's the editor in this scenario, no? And usually the editor doesn't get on the byline at all (unless he's made serious contributions), much less the full thing.
This all probably has nothing whatsoever to do with Rossi. He's not a webadmin.

He probably just titles the thing then pastes in text, but isn't responsible for much else on the webpage. He cites faceoff-factor in the title, the real author in the preface, then again at the end. Probably all he can do, unless the Trib hired the author full time.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote