HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Even Rossi says Orpik stinks

Old
03-14-2014, 12:27 PM
Waffle Fries

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordy View Post
does rossi know what an f3 is yet?
Probably not. He also just tweeted about how the man games lost should help Fleury win the Vezina and Bylsma with the Adams.

Waffle Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:31 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

So Orpik really, really needs to be insulated with the best players possible and he isn't good for his partners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Probably not. He also just tweeted about how the man games lost should help Fleury win the Vezina and Bylsma with the Adams.

It might actually help Bylsma.

F3 is search. Search files, search a webpage. Duh. Rossi probably thinks it's refresh.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:35 PM
DoktorZaius

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
This all probably has nothing whatsoever to do with Rossi. He's not a webadmin.

He probably just titles the thing then pastes in text, but isn't responsible for much else on the webpage. He cites faceoff-factor in the title, the real author in the preface, then again at the end. Probably all he can do, unless the Trib hired the author full time.
Fair enough, I'm sure he's not physically posting the article. But afaik, byline goes to whoever writes the piece, whether they're your employee or a third party.

DoktorZaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:35 PM
joeyjake5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse View Post
You're entitled to your opinion. I just can't comment on the day-to-day aspects of the job because I'm not in the room with the players on that type of basis.

For example, I can write an article critical of Brooks Orpik, tweet about it all day, and the next day I don't have to go stand in a stall in front of Brooks Orpik and deal with any potential backlash from that in my work.

I had a lot of personal expectations on what the day-to-day of covering this team would look like. They were all way off the mark. My main contention, again, is that these two guys are the hardest working reporters I know.
Any pro athlete who listens to a talk show or reads the papers or reads twitters is an idiot.

joeyjake5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:39 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
I can't wait till Brooks signs his retirement contract this summer. Shero'll prolly give him a nice raise too!
I figure 7 yrs @ $5M per oughta do it.

TravisUlrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:46 PM
steveg

Quote:
I think the two star centers on this team had a lot more to do with where he played than the head coach did.
I'll take your word for it, since you are MUCH more "in the know" than I am, but I just can't make any logical sense of that in my head -- unless Sid simply said N-O to the K-C-D line being broken up...

steveg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:47 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorZaius View Post
Fair enough, I'm sure he's not physically posting the article.
He probably is physically posting the article...into a text box not terribly unlike the one we're using here on HF.

Quote:
But afaik, byline goes to whoever writes the piece, whether they're your employee or a third party.
In a print edition, it would be that simple, but if there's a hyperlink that goes to another page in the author names, someone needs to create and populate the other page and probably an associated account (with publishing rights) and an email address.

Jesse Marshall would almost certainly need to be a Trib employee to get that stuff.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 12:52 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffle Fries View Post
Oh gosh.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Jesse, whenever a defenseman has to be "insulated" with a particular partner, isn't it time to get rid of that guy once and for all?
I'm personally not a fan of bringing him back. Not only because of his age and on-ice performance, but specifically because of our pipeline.

Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:08 PM
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
This all probably has nothing whatsoever to do with Rossi. He's not a webadmin.

He probably just titles the thing then pastes in text, but isn't responsible for much else on the webpage. He cites faceoff-factor in the title, the real author in the preface, then again at the end. Probably all he can do, unless the Trib hired the author full time.
I believe the blog has that byline associated with it on every article. Plus, mine wouldn't be all that interesting anyway.

Something like, "Jesse Marshall watches hockey a lot and has a blog. He plays Titanfall too much and only has 3 goals in rec league this season."

Old
03-14-2014, 01:10 PM
steveg

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
I'll take your word for it, since you are MUCH more "in the know" than I am, but I just can't make any logical sense of that in my head -- unless Sid simply said N-O to the K-C-D line being broken up...
...although, I will also say that if DB did indeed want Iggy on Sid's RW and Sid didn't, and thus DB acquiesced (to the detriment of the team, IMO), then doesn't that still raise some questions regarding the coach, and his command of the team?

Old
03-14-2014, 01:11 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
I'm personally not a fan of bringing him back. Not only because of his age and on-ice performance, but specifically because of our pipeline.
Jesse what are your thoughts on Nisky? Let him walk or tender him an offer and see if he takes it?

Mo Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:19 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg View Post
...although, I will also say that if DB did indeed want Iggy on Sid's RW and Sid didn't, and thus DB acquiesced (to the detriment of the team, IMO), then doesn't that still raise some questions regarding the coach, and his command of the team?
Yes. It also doesn't explain all of the other stupid **** that went on which was also crippling.

vabm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:34 PM
madinsomniac

I still maintain that Orps is coasting in the regular season... not that I want him back, but he could still be useful in the right situation... How the D pairings have been made and used the past few seasons has been one of the biggest things that turned me off from Bylsma... The Nisky Letang pairing never worked yet was religiously used... Pairings like Scuds/Orpik this year weren't just ineffective but also were often used behind Crosby's line which neutered his production for a period as well...

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:37 PM
steveg

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
I still maintain that Orps is coasting in the regular season...
I am holding out hope that you are right on this; I thought he had a decent playoffs last year; after having a pretty crappy regular season IMO, I thought he visibly picked up his play come playoff time. I'm hoping it's deja-vu all over again, this year...

Old
03-14-2014, 01:38 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:
Pairings like Scuds/Orpik this year weren't just ineffective but also were often used behind Crosby's line which neutered his production for a period as well...
Yeah. That's infuriating. Happens a lot to the second line, too.

They're just overplayed, in general. But it would be nice for the coach to recognize their weaknesses and at least attempt to minimize their icetime while the top two lines are out. As those lines' primary functions, presumably, should be offense.

BlindWillyMcHurt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 01:38 PM
IcedCapp
Yummy and Delicious

Quote:
I still maintain that Orps is coasting in the regular season... not that I want him back, but he could still be useful in the right situation... How the D pairings have been made and used the past few seasons has been one of the biggest things that turned me off from Bylsma... The Nisky Letang pairing never worked yet was religiously used... Pairings like Scuds/Orpik this year weren't just ineffective but also were often used behind Crosby's line which neutered his production for a period as well...
Then why did he coast through the Olympics?

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Jesse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post
Jesse what are your thoughts on Nisky? Let him walk or tender him an offer and see if he takes it?
Well, FWIW, Madden reported today that he's going to ask for 5 years, 20 Mil. The average per year is okay with me, the term isn't.

As of Tuesday this week, Matt Niskanen had the highest goals-for percentage of anyone in the NHL, forward or defense. (Among players with at least 75% of games played.) Tarasenko and Kopitar have both passed him since, but of the 90 even-strength goals he's been on the ice for, 60 of them have been goals scored by the Penguins.

His metrics say what the eye-test says, he's having the best year of his career. The question posted to the Penguins front office is whether or not the numbers he's currently posting are: 1. Sustainable 2. An aberration.

To be fair, he hasn't been anywhere close to this at any point in his career. Maybe he's a young player that's figured it out, maybe he's a young player in a contract year fighting for his big money deal.

That being said, I'd be comfortable with a 3 year 12 mil contract for Niskanen. If he can do half of what he did this season, he'd still be a serviceable #4.

Old
03-14-2014, 03:17 PM
Ugene Malkin
ON THE WAGON TRAIL

Quote:
Well, FWIW, Madden reported today that he's going to ask for 5 years, 20 Mil. The average per year is okay with me, the term isn't.

As of Tuesday this week, Matt Niskanen had the highest goals-for percentage of anyone in the NHL, forward or defense. (Among players with at least 75% of games played.) Tarasenko and Kopitar have both passed him since, but of the 90 even-strength goals he's been on the ice for, 60 of them have been goals scored by the Penguins.

His metrics say what the eye-test says, he's having the best year of his career. The question posted to the Penguins front office is whether or not the numbers he's currently posting are: 1. Sustainable 2. An aberration.

To be fair, he hasn't been anywhere close to this at any point in his career. Maybe he's a young player that's figured it out, maybe he's a young player in a contract year fighting for his big money deal.

That being said, I'd be comfortable with a 3 year 12 mil contract for Niskanen. If he can do half of what he did this season, he'd still be a serviceable #4.
How do we fit him in as a #4 though?

Maatta, Letang
Despres, Martin
Scuderi, Niskanen
Bortuzzo

As a number 6 D-man it's a waste. Or do we just wait out Martin's contract and not resign him?

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 03:31 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugene Malkin View Post
How do we fit him in as a #4 though?

Maatta, Letang
Despres, Martin
Scuderi, Niskanen
Bortuzzo

As a number 6 D-man it's a waste. Or do we just wait out Martin's contract and not resign him?
Nisky isn't worth 4 mil to this team unless Letang is moved.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 03:49 PM
Freeptop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
i guess you could call it pride, but i got the sense that pittsburgh people were very defensive about their city because its not traditionally viewed as a sexy destination.
I'm saying this as someone born and raised in Pittsburgh (though one who spent several years away as well): Pittsburghers have an inferiority complex about the city.

A lot of it comes from what the city used to be: a dirty, smokey alley of steel mills. Many outside the city still perceive it this way, despite the fact that most of the steel mills have been gone since the '80s, and a major cleanup effort was initiated in the '70s. The fact that we still call it the "Steel City" and embrace the steel worker image probably doesn't help outside perception, even if it's the blue-collar work ethic and steel worker-toughness that we choose to embrace.

A lot of Pittsburghers have grown up never knowing the smoke, or even much of the steel mills. So it does get irksome when you encounter someone outside the city who immediately labels Pittsburgh as being dirty and covered in smoke. It's also shown in the way that people are almost invariably surprised when they visit Pittsburgh for the first time as to what the city looks like.

It also comes from the fact that once upon a time, Pittsburgh was a vital economic center for the United States, but with the loss of the steel mills, that's simply no longer true. We all grow up hearing about how important Pittsburgh used to be, but it's plainly obvious that's no longer the case.

All of which provokes a natural, albeit regrettable, reaction to prove that Pittsburgh is not what people outside the city think of it as being.

Freeptop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 03:50 PM
MtlPenFan

4M a year is actually pretty good.

He's had exactly one bad sequence since he joined the team, and that was after his leg injury last year. He's been nothing but solid to great for this team.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 03:59 PM
Sivek

If Niskanen truly wants only 4 mil per, the Pens would be stupid not to sign him.

Then again, Fatso has broken more non-deals than even Rossi over the years. I don't know how anyone can take him seriously on his rumor mongering since he's wrong on basically "everything he hears".

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:03 PM
Ugene Malkin
ON THE WAGON TRAIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Nisky isn't worth 4 mil to this team unless Letang is moved.
Quote:

He's had exactly one bad sequence since he joined the team, and that was after his leg injury last year. He's been nothing but solid to great for this team.
I agree with, MPF.

The point is do we ride out another year with all who's in place and Niskanen?

This would mean no promoting anymore young D-man unless injuries arise.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:

I agree. I'd give him 4mil as well. I just wonder what that means for all these dmen knocking on the door. At some point we have to give these guys permanent roles. Since I don't see Shero trading Scuds, moving on from Nisky makes sense. Honestly, I'm torn.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote