HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 67: Columbus at Minnesota | 3/15 8PM EDT

Old
03-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat110 View Post
XM Radio was saying earlier in the week how there may be some whining going on under new playoff format when some top teams have to meet in first round. Personally, I like the idea of building rivalries through the divisional seeding and it may benefit CBJ this year :-). As a hypothetical, if final standings were something like:

1. Boston 108 points
2 Pittsburgh 107 points
3. Toronto 100 points
4. Montreal 99 points
5. Tampa 98 points
6. Detroit 97 points
7. New York Rangers 94 points
8. Columbus 93 points

The "old" conference seeding would have:
1)Boston vs 8)Columbus
2)Pittsburgh vs 7)New York
3)Toronto vs 6)Detroit
4)Montreal vs 5)Tampa

Now, would be:
A) Boston vs Detroit
B) Toronto vs Montreal

C) Pittsburgh vs Tampa
D) New York vs Columbus

Winner A vs Winner B
Winner C vs Winner D

Although a hypothetical, you'd eliminate either the 3rd or 4th best team in Conference in round one (Toronto vs. Montreal) and Montreal wouldn't get home ice advantage. You could have Pittsburgh facing a tougher Tampa team (5th overall) instead of the 7th overall Rangers. And, 7th overall Rangers get home ice for first round against an 8th best overall Blue Jackets.
Good thoughts.

Personally, I like the divisional playoff format ... I agree with what you said here and think that it will bring back some of the old blood-hatred rivalries.

For those of us who grew up with the Chill, there was (and still may be) nothing like the Chill/Toledo Storm rivalry. I hated everything about that team ... I think part of that stemmed from them playing each other early in the playoffs from time to time, and never having the ability to get past them. I would much rather see us build some real inter-division rivalries than have a series against a team that out-classes us in every aspect.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:20 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

I don't know but right now it feels like the CBJ (and Philly, NYR, Toronto, Montreal, Tampa Bay and Detroit) have to win every game or drop out of the playoff race.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:02 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Finishing 3rd in your division means you've got the 3rd seed. It's not conference based anymore.
So they are doing 4 brackets? Lame.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:10 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Back at you.

And just to be ornery, there is only one team that finishes third in their division; in total there are 4 third place finishers, one in each division.
Not my fault they decided to go with the lame "division bracket" method. Didn't realize they were that stupid. You can easily overload a bracket with the best teams.

If it was conference brackets (like it should); there would have been 2 #3 seeds.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:36 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
So they are doing 4 brackets? Lame.
That's my understanding. There will no longer be any reseeding after the 1st round.