HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

When is the last time the Penguins made life miserable for other teams' stars?

Old
03-15-2014, 04:27 PM
billybudd
5 cups pls

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
Even though inwardly they probably saw the Thornton thing as a dick move, they still backed him up publicly. Not saying it's right from a moral standpoint, but from an organizational one? Absolutely.

Funny thing is, Mario's letter was like 3 years ago. Nobody would give a **** anymore if they went back to '09 feistiness, but it sounds like they're more interested in selling a brand now.
Yeah, I was just telling my brother this at lunch. That PR crisis is ancient history. Next talking point among journos is going to be clutch and grab. Player safety is yesterday's headline.

People will only remember "the letter" in the same sense that they remember 66 leaving the box to try and kick Kerry Fraser's ass. Which is to say, vaguely.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:29 PM
Shockmaster

Instead of "reforming" Cooke, the Penguins should have gotten rid of him and brought in another agitator that doesn't have the suspension history Cooke does. That way the Penguins avoid all the criticism of keeping Cooke, but don't become soft in the process.

Shockmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:40 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockmaster View Post
Instead of "reforming" Cooke, the Penguins should have gotten rid of him and brought in another agitator that doesn't have the suspension history Cooke does. That way the Penguins avoid all the criticism of keeping Cooke, but don't become soft in the process.

Bylsma had no control over Cooke and Cooke had to develop self-control to continue getting an NHL paycheck. Bylsma can't teach or develop or control or push anyone into a positive direction, which is the definition of a poor head coach.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:44 PM
MtlPenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Bylsma had no control over Cooke and Cooke had to develop self-control to continue getting an NHL paycheck. Bylsma can't teach or develop or control or push anyone into a positive direction, which is the definition of a poor head coach.
LOL NO!!!

They should have just kept Cooke and told the rest of the League to **** itself.

The object should be to win by any means necessary.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:46 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
Cooke just wasn't going to get the benefit of the doubt from anyone anymore. Even when he was "reformed" he would still get calls just because he was Matt Cooke. The Penguins can't keep killing penalties for a guy that gets reputation calls made against him. That's why I think the Penguins should have ditched him for another agitator. They don't become soft, but no more reputation calls would against the Penguins.

Old
03-15-2014, 04:54 PM
strandvag

The players need a coach "who tells it like it is"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agL3NHgb8Rk

strandvag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:57 PM
gordie
Journeyman Despres

They could have went after someone like Cal Clutterbuck (there were rumors) but decided not to go in that direction.

gordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:59 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
LOL NO!!!

They should have just kept Cooke and told the rest of the League to **** itself.

The object should be to win by any means necessary.
Yep.

It's as if Mario decided that other teams would stop trying to knock Sid's head off if only the Pens played by Marquis of Queensbury rules.

KIRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 04:59 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandvag View Post
The players need a coach "who tells it like it is"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agL3NHgb8Rk
I think now Therrien has become too much like Tortorella in that he may be the polar opposite of Bylsma. Besides, it isn't like Therrien never falls in love with washed-up veterans. Hell, he benches Subban and plays Douglas Murray more often.

The next Penguins coach needs to be a guy that's somewhere in between a Bylsma and a Therrien/Tortorella.

Old
03-15-2014, 05:01 PM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

Hell, it shouldn't be that hard for them. They've got years of experience making their own stars miserable.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:02 PM
KIRK

Quote:
I think now Therrien has become too much like Tortorella in that he may be the polar opposite of Bylsma. Besides, it isn't like Therrien never falls in love with washed-up veterans. Hell, he benches Subban and plays Douglas Murray more often.

The next Penguins coach needs to be a guy that's somewhere in between a Bylsma and a Therrien/Tortorella.
Much like we need a GM who's somewhere in between Shero and Holmgren.

Ever notice THAT straw man. Question Shero, and people will say 'what do you want him to do, go full Homer'. Same with Bylsma and Torts/Therrien. What a joke . . .

Old
03-15-2014, 05:23 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

I was going to say, "every game" but then I read "other teams'" in the title. My bad.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:26 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I was going to say, "every game" but then I read "other teams'" in the title. My bad.

Old
03-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Honour Over Glory

Harry Z, wasn't a fan of the guy being a Penguin, but he is definitely capable of getting under the skin of players with his speedy aggressive ways.

I'd rather see him on the team over Pyatt, Adams and Glass.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:

I really think Hynes could be that guy. But the WBS squad never really had any offensive fire power to see how he would use a team that had solid offensive tools, but that WBS team is constantly at the top for being one of the best defensively.

Honour Over Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:35 PM
12IsGreaterThan47
BEN LOVEJOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
That's right, you need to get on board with my rule if you want to be one of the survivors.

12IsGreaterThan47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:37 PM
Shockmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
I really think Hynes could be that guy. But the WBS squad never really had any offensive fire power to see how he would use a team that had solid offensive tools, but that WBS team is constantly at the top for being one of the best defensively.
Would Hynes keep the get along gang intact or would he actually shove his foot up the team's ass every now and then?

Old
03-15-2014, 05:37 PM
DrDangles

We need guys like Roussel and Garbutt.

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Zen Arcade
Seen Spaling?

We need Bobby Farnham.

Zen Arcade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Simmons' Nightmare

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vitale View Post
Winner is the "New Matt Cooke" era comment IMO. I'm not knocking Cooke's turnaround (something for him to be proud of), but that timeframe is roughly when the last semblance of toughness and agitation left this team. If on his own though, had he not changed much, he couldn't have done it by himself.
The funny thing is, even the "neutered" version of Cooke is much more difficult to play against than the majority of forwards on this current Pens roster.

I guess funny isn't the right word. ****ing sad is more like it.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:30 AM
Griffin6612

vCash: 920
God we used to have so many good bottom 6 players, Rupp, Cooke, Asham, Talbot, ect. And we did nothing to keep them.

Griffin6612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 01:34 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
RIP parabola

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
They've done it to Tavares a bunch of times. Ovechkin too.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:16 AM
Coach John McGuirk
ヽ(。_)ノ

I miss the days when Kunitz was as feared for his forecheck and punishing hitting as he was with the puck on his stick. I miss the days of a bottom six that would beat the Hell out of you with speed, grit, and physicality. I miss the days when the opposing team gave a second thought to going into the corners, or playing around the net. I miss being a team people feared playing because they knew they'd get bruised and bloodied, AND Sid and Geno were going to have free reign. It's kind of insane that I'm about to actually say this, but I think I miss the 3C model. We deviated from it, and Shero has done nothing to insulate our top two lines with legit, NHL-caliber impact players. Now we're as thin as we used to be on our top two lines, but we're out a good 3C as well.

Coach John McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:40 AM
DoobeeDoobeeDoo
The Doobster

I miss Matt Cooke.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo is offline   Reply With Quote