HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Selanne?

Closed Thread

Old
08-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Verbal Kint*

vCash: 500
I'd love to have Selanne end up with the Leafs.

Here's hoping.

Old
08-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo
Mogo vs Selänne's fan club
Hardly. More like Mogo vs. real world or Mogo vs. facts.

Maybe you can take your hate posts somewhere else, I think most people realized that you hate the guy with passion. Also spreading false information/rumors is nothing to be proud of.

Old
08-14-2005, 05:05 PM
guinness
those were the days

Selanne would look good on a line with Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Old
08-14-2005, 05:11 PM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SectionX
if Lindros is worth 1.55 then Selanne is worth like 1 million. This guy has been overpaid for a couple of years now.
All players were overpayed for years. Selanne doesn't have a history riddled with concussion problems like Lindros has. However, a similar type of deal might be in the works for Selanne as well, i.e. pretty low basic salary but laden with performance bonuses.

Old
08-14-2005, 05:15 PM
Slime

Quote:
if Lindros is worth 1.55 then Selanne is worth like 1 million. This guy has been overpaid for a couple of years now.
Ehm... you do realize that a healthy Lindros' value would be in the $3-4 M ballpark, right? (The $2M rebate Toronto got is because of the "50-50" (approx.) % risk per season of him having to retire due to another concussion... Hmm, I feel like a moron pointing out obvious factors like that... )

Quote:
Selänne is so overrated. He's never done anything for the national team. I know your gonna flip out your goals scored for national team 50% are scored against teams like Italy. Selänne has never won any team awards (except FEL), Selänne has never helped his teams when they have needed it the most (playoffs). Funny how Sharks and Anaheim played there best hockey in years after Selänne left. I bet your an Jokerit fan. That would explain why you have to stick up for him
Overrated? Well, in the past maybe. One-dimensional snipers tend to get more attention and credit than they deserve, but it's quite natural... for the big crowds and massmedia its easier to notice these kind of players, so they get the biggest headlines, become fan favorites and get the biggest $$ contracts. Of course Selänne belongs in that category. But it's the Selänne of 2005 we're talking about now. And I think most people here are aware of the fact that his move to San Jose hurt his numbers because he didn't fit in the system they play, so it wasn't just a result of natural decline of his skills.

The year in Colorado indicates he ain't a PPG player anymore, but that season was just a complete disaster for him in all ways... not getting proper ice time, tossing between lines and linemates, losing the coaches' confidence etc, making him doubt his own skills and motivation, all of which probably affected his general "feel for the game". I think, and many others too, that if Selänne is given back his classic role and linemates in a new team he can get in touch with his "old himself", and has a good chance of producing 30+30 or something like that.

(about the national team... you didn't enjoy Selänne in Nagano?? And FYI I'm not a Jokerit fan. Unfortunately I don't live in Finland, so I'm not a fan of any particular SM-liiga team, I just follow finnish hockey in general.)

Old
08-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Platapie

Quote:
The $2M rebate Toronto got is because of the "50-50" (approx.)
I just have to ask this. Where did you pull that stat out of? I have a guess, but it's not appropriate to mention.

Old
08-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

I thought Teemu was supposed to make a decision by now. This could mean that another team, likely one he has some sort of ties to(MTL, ANA, SJ) could've just entered the race. Or, he's just taking more time deciding. I'm guessing it's the latter option, although I hope Anaheim makes some sort of push to get him, especially if he comes cheap.

Old
08-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Slime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platapie
I just have to ask this. Where did you pull that stat out of? I have a guess, but it's not appropriate to mention.
Just my own quick guestimate. I figured a healthy 32 year old player with Lindros' qualities should be worth around $3.5-4M on the UFA market with the new CBA (which seems to be the price for the other 60pt UFAs signed so far). But obviously Eric wouldn't get that money since he is regarded by everybody as a huge risk due to his history of concussions... How much this "injury rebate" would amount to I couldn't have predicted myself...but since the $1.5 M deal became official I draw the conclusion that the "injury risk" apparently dropped his value a lot... 3.5M minus 1.5M gives the "2M discount" (well, part of the "discount" could also consist of a $0.5M rebate from Eric to make sure he would be signed by the Leafs in particular).

This makes any sence?

Old
08-14-2005, 07:25 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slime
Just my own quick guestimate. I figured a healthy 32 year old player with Lindros' qualities should be worth around $3.5-4M on the UFA market with the new CBA (which seems to be the price for the other 60pt UFAs signed so far). But obviously Eric wouldn't get that money since he is regarded by everybody as a huge risk due to his history of concussions... How much this "injury rebate" would amount to I couldn't have predicted myself...but since the $1.5 M deal became official I draw the conclusion that the "injury risk" apparently dropped his value a lot... 3.5M minus 1.5M gives the "2M discount" (well, part of the "discount" could also consist of a $0.5M rebate from Eric to make sure he would be signed by the Leafs in particular).

This makes any sence?
a healthy Lindros is a legit #1 center in the game, and worth more than $4mill IMO.

The fact is that he hasn't been a healthy Lindros for a long time.. even when he's not missing games, it's not the same Lindros on the ice anymore... there's no doubt his concussions have changed the player he once was.

I think that discount is alot more than just $2mill because he's unhealthy... he's a risk now for any team to take, just like Allison - another player who's a legit #1 center in the game if not injured, and worth more than $4mill.

The Leafs are still taking a big chance on these two... chances are that they'll be injured, or won't be playing anything close to their pre-injury days. I could understand a team giving a chance to one of these guys, but having them both on the roster is asking for trouble.

Dont' be surprised to see at least one of them out for a significant amount of time this year.

Old
08-15-2005, 02:40 AM
broman

Quote:
"Selanne's agent's comments seem to suggest no one is seriously considering the Finnish Flash at this point" - not surprising, considering his recent play
Nonsense. This is not a quote from any paper or interview, but Spector's personal interpretation of agent Baizley's comments. And Spector if any has for long been deeply doubtful of Teemu's return to NHL, always conveniently ignoring any rumors that would have suggested otherwise.

The quote's so far have been "5-6 teams" last week by a seemingly upbeat Selanne, and "numerous phone calls" from agent Baizley. Baizley did say the approaches could be described as "kicking tires" but that can be interpreted any which way you want. Myself I don't smell anything fishy there, it's just the old fox being his usual understated himself.

Old
08-15-2005, 02:42 AM
broman

Quote:
Selänne is so overrated. He's never done anything for the national team.
Worlds 2003 ring a bell? As in "hat", "trick" and "QF"?

Old
08-15-2005, 06:01 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
He's never done anything for the national team. I know your gonna flip out your goals scored for national team 50% are scored against teams like Italy. Selänne has never won any team awards (except FEL), Selänne has never helped his teams when they have needed it the most (playoffs).
Yes, that's it!

I loved Selanne when he started in Winnipeg. He was one of my favourite players. Then he went to Anaheim and I stopped watching him regularly. Then he goes to my beloved Sharks and... does nothing! Sure he scored a few goals here and there in the regular season, though his production seemed out of sync with the team's requirement. Insurance goals over tying and game-winning goals. The came the playoffs. HE DID NOTHING. Oh sure, the coach praised his defensive ability, but the Sharks went out and signed him to score goals, especialy come playoff time. I STARED at Selanne for many, many shifts of his during a playoff series against St. Louis, and he was playing as if it was a preseason game! As a Sharks fan, I have nothing good to say about what Selanne brings to a team. It's no surprise to me that he's often(NOT always) sucked when the national team needed him most. He ISN'T a clutch player. it takes a certain personality to elevate one's game come the postseason to become a playoff warrior. He doesn't have it. Perhaps because he's such a nice, relaxed guy off of the ice?

So, in today's NHL, where cap issues exist, he'll probably sign a one-year deal for a million or million and a half. Then he can prove himself to earn a three million dollar per long term deal after that.

Old
08-15-2005, 06:08 AM
sublimesept

I think its funny how people think Selanne is overated and not able to produce. Selanne had 1 bad year because he played a 3rd and 4th line role. If you guys dont think hes still capable of scoring 25+ goals then you jusr havent watched him play the last couple of years. Ill take the guy for 2.5 or less to play with the yotes.

Old
08-15-2005, 07:41 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
...in today's NHL, where cap issues exist, he'll probably sign a one-year deal for a million or million and a half. Then he can prove himself to earn a three million dollar per long term deal after that.
That's what I'm looking for, also... if he'll do that with the Blues, he can play with Tkachuk and Cajanek, or maybe go on the Weight line.

PB

Old
08-15-2005, 08:50 AM
kenabnrmal

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
Yes, that's it!

I loved Selanne when he started in Winnipeg. He was one of my favourite players. Then he went to Anaheim and I stopped watching him regularly. Then he goes to my beloved Sharks and... does nothing! Sure he scored a few goals here and there in the regular season, though his production seemed out of sync with the team's requirement. Insurance goals over tying and game-winning goals. The came the playoffs. HE DID NOTHING. Oh sure, the coach praised his defensive ability, but the Sharks went out and signed him to score goals, especialy come playoff time. I STARED at Selanne for many, many shifts of his during a playoff series against St. Louis, and he was playing as if it was a preseason game! As a Sharks fan, I have nothing good to say about what Selanne brings to a team. It's no surprise to me that he's often(NOT always) sucked when the national team needed him most. He ISN'T a clutch player. it takes a certain personality to elevate one's game come the postseason to become a playoff warrior. He doesn't have it. Perhaps because he's such a nice, relaxed guy off of the ice?

So, in today's NHL, where cap issues exist, he'll probably sign a one-year deal for a million or million and a half. Then he can prove himself to earn a three million dollar per long term deal after that.
Do you mean the playoffs with the Sharks where he played through a broken thumb, rendering him unable do anything other than skate and pass? Or the other playoff series where he scored 5 goals in 12 games, second on the team to Marleau's 6? All while the coach was praising his surprising committment to d? His playoff stats before joining the Sharks? 21 games-13 goals-20 points. Not too shabby.

Despite all of this, you're right. He'll likely sign a low-level, one-year deal. Making him a fantastic bargain for any team in need of scoring on the top-two lines.

Old
08-15-2005, 09:16 AM
broman

My guess is Leafs and Wings both have been "kicking tires" with Baizley, they've got the gap to fill in RW and could sure use a bargain sniper to beat the cap. Getting a fiery right-shooter for the PP is a bonus as well. Likewise for Ducks but I still think they're too far over the edge already to come back for another UFA unless Teemu is ready to sell himself really, really cheap.

Thrashers were reportedly in talks with both Selanne and Bondra, but IMO after Holik they are short of spare cash and will be looking to drive a hard bargain, which explains the lethargic rate of talks there. I think the two are in talks with several other teams as well so once one is signed I expect the other to follow soon, but until that the bargaining will continue.

Old
08-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Panopticon

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness

He sure would...

Old
08-15-2005, 09:57 AM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by broman
Worlds 2003 ring a bell? As in "hat", "trick" and "QF"?
Raimo as avatar and defending the guy (Selänne) who was one of the main reasons Raimo got fired

Old
08-15-2005, 10:01 AM
interminded

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness
As long as it's practice I don't mind...

Old
08-15-2005, 10:07 AM
SChan*

selanne just isn't a good playoffs performer.

Old
08-15-2005, 11:00 AM
RorschachWJK

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenabnrmal
Do you mean the playoffs with the Sharks where he played through a broken thumb, rendering him unable do anything other than skate and pass? Or the other playoff series where he scored 5 goals in 12 games, second on the team to Marleau's 6? All while the coach was praising his surprising committment to d? His playoff stats before joining the Sharks? 21 games-13 goals-20 points. Not too shabby.

Despite all of this, you're right. He'll likely sign a low-level, one-year deal. Making him a fantastic bargain for any team in need of scoring on the top-two lines.

Old
08-15-2005, 12:31 PM
KzooShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boucicaut

He did say he's a Sharks fan.

The average Shark fan's lasting memory of Teemu Selanne will always be him coming around the back of the net with Patrick Roy on the other end of the crease and Teemu missing the entire gaping net to push the puck right into Roy's skate in a scoreless game 7.

Old
08-15-2005, 12:41 PM
jb**

Quote:
Than he would fit in real well with the Flyers. Are him and Forsberg good friends?

Old
08-15-2005, 12:42 PM
Pepper

Quote:
Raimo as avatar and defending the guy (Selänne) who was one of the main reasons Raimo got fired
Stop spewing that BS, somebody might actually believe your crap.

Take your hate posts somewhere else.

Old
08-15-2005, 02:23 PM
ClaudeLemieux4HOF

Send a message via AIM to ClaudeLemieux4HOF
i could imagine he doesnt have serious interest from other clubs is probally because his price tag is too high? i could imagine a lot of teams wanting him for 1 mil, doesnt mean thats what hes shopping himself for...

Closed Thread