HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Here come the Boston Bruins ...

Old
03-15-2014, 08:53 PM
nmbr_24

vCash: 500
They are a contender, no doubt, but there are some really good teams in the West that will be hard for anyone to beat in a playoff series.

I think Chicago and St Louis are probably the favorites to win the cup. Plenty of people seem to think that Pittsburgh will come out of the east and there is an upset every single season, one of Chicago, St Louis, Boston or Pittsburgh is going to go down early, it happens almost every year.

nmbr_24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 08:55 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownofThornton View Post
B's haven't lost more than 2 games consecutively on the season as well.. which is pretty nuts.
Weird.

Until that last win against the Caps, apparently they lost to them a lot recently.

at any rate Bruins are a good team so no surprise they look good.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 08:59 PM
RapidFire

lol "cup favorites"

east favorites? abosolutely. Eastern conference sucks so its theirs to lose, but when you have teams like the Hawks, Blues, Ducks, and Kings they're further down the list on cup favorites

RapidFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:07 PM
David Krejci*
STANLEY CUP CHAMPS

They have been rolling lately and they can beat any team in the NHL in a 7 game series, but as we all know, anything can happen in the playoffs and a bounce here or there or an injury can change everything.

They need to rest some of their guys down the stretch here, mainly Chara. They have said that they are doing this by letting guys skip practices/morning skates, but they have to miss games.

They have a lot of depth on defense but Miller and Hamilton are inexperienced in the playoffs and we aren't sure what Meszaros is yet. Krug and Bart benefit greatly from the run last year, and Bart has really played well lately and in my mind established himself as someone who needs to be in the lineup when the playoffs start. Krug will be in because of his ridiculous offensive skill, I am also confident in him defensively, he's small but he battles, sort of like Ference.

That leaves Miller, Hamilton, Meszaros to fight out for that last spot (assuming McQuaid is healthy and ready to go for the playoffs, because if he's healthy he's in). But if McQuaid isn't ready to go then there will be two spots to be had. I think all of them bring something to the table, and if we're going to win the Cup, someone will probably eventually get injured. I really like what I've seen from Miller, he's a really strong player, reminds me of Boychuk but a better skater/not as good of a shot.

David Krejci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:11 PM
Pi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidFire View Post
lol "cup favorites"

east favorites? abosolutely. Eastern conference sucks so its theirs to lose, but when you have teams like the Hawks, Blues, Ducks, and Kings they're further down the list on cup favorites
Ducks have done nothing. Blues need to get out of the 2nd round to make it to the Cup Final. Bruins are better than the Kings.

Cup contenders in order:

1) Chicago
2) Boston
3) Rest...

I only put Chicago #1 because they won last year. Bruins are playing better than Chicago is this year.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:13 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
It that time of season where they become this ridiculous rolling juggernaut ? They've had some easy competition in their recent rout, but Jarome Iginla is having a silently great season with them. I donno man, I don't see how they aren't the cup favorite right now
There's too many teams that are just as ridiculous as them right now for any one team to be the favorites.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:21 PM
danmcn12
#freeRedmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
Ducks have done nothing. Blues need to get out of the 2nd round to make it to the Cup Final. Bruins are better than the Kings.

Cup contenders in order:

1) Chicago
2) Boston
3) Rest...

I only put Chicago #1 because they won last year. Bruins are playing better than Chicago is this year.
Kings, Chicago, Boston, St Louis, and Anaheim are all equal. LA having a difficult regular season schedule and St Louis' past playoff performances with a very different team means nothing.

danmcn12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:22 PM
I am Canadian
Foreverly Hopeful

Quote:
lol "cup favorites"

Obviously you are not a fan of the Bruins. Neither am I, obviously. Nonetheless, Bruins are just as good as the teams you listed.

I am Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:22 PM
Tek
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦

vCash: 1070
Here come the Bruins quietly

Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:23 PM
Corporal Komarov
Kadri's BFF

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcn12 View Post
Kings, Chicago, Boston, St Louis, and Anaheim are all equal. LA having a difficult regular season schedule and St Louis' past playoff performances with a very different team means nothing.
With dark horses like Avs, Dallas etc the West is just as open as the east IMO.

Corporal Komarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Jiminy Cricket
#TeamMeat

My Boston BooRangles are playing beautiful hockey, and it's so exciting to see! I am absolutely thrilled with the roster that Peter Chiarelli has assembled.

Jiminy Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:36 PM
Rask

Quote:
Originally Posted by D204 View Post
I expect an 'upset'
I dont think so, rask & johnson are playing well for the bruins. Also we are very solid on the point even with the rookies.

Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:36 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

Quote:
lol "cup favorites"

Look at this, the Vancouver homer/Bruins hater sees a Bruins thread and needs to get his two cents in. Nice avatar.

We are the top team in the East. Just as good a chance to win it all as the West's top teams.

PatriceBergeronFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:38 PM
Prophet
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmcn12 View Post
Kings, Chicago, Boston, St Louis, and Anaheim are all equal.
I don't think they can be. In a vacuum maybe, but let's remember that only one Western team can reach the SCF. Bruins might have 35-50% chance of reaching SCF, whereas Kings, Chicago, St. Louis and Anaheim only have around 15-25%, because they have to go through each other. Even if they had slight advantage in the finals, they'd still have lower overall chance of winning the cup.

Prophet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 09:46 PM
DBL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Reim View Post
With dark horses like Avs, Dallas etc the West is just as open as the east IMO.
Grouping Dallas with the Avs?

DBL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Kramerica Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlblues9 View Post
I think Boston will get there, but with Chicago winning the cup last season, they had a much shorter schedule than usual because playoffs went later than usual. They had all their top players in the Olympics and I just don't see them having the energy to go three tough rounds in which they will probably have to face 3 very good teams. I just don't see it. They are already starting to crack a little bit, whether it's just a bump in the road or they're legitimately tired already, who knows, but I just don't see them getting by Colorado, St. Louis and then Anaheim/SJ/LA.

Boston on the other hand has a very good chance of making imo.
Look, I'm not the most intelligent person out there; hell, frankly I'm a complete moron, but I need help trying to figure out something you wrote here.

Boston and Chicago met in the SCF last year. Did Boston...not play as long a schedule as Chicago ultimately did? I mean, you're saying Boston will get there but then saying Chicago won't because they'll be worn out because "they had a much shorter schedule than usual".

Look, I don't doubt fatigue catching up to Chicago here. It wouldn't be a shock and it wouldn't be a shock if St. Louis upends them in a playoff series. But the logic here doesn't register with me; please tell me if I'm reading this wrong.

Kramerica Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:13 PM
Its Alright Ma

No stop calling us the favorites damn you people go back to talking about pittsburgh.

Bruins are just some shmuck eastern team nothing to see here

HOW ABOUT THAT HABS COMEBACK EH?

Its Alright Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:22 PM
Kramerica Industries

It's kinda funny how Pittsburgh was the overwhelming favorite against Boston a year ago and now the tide has completely turned.

Of course, that just means that if you guys meet again in the ECF, it's Pittsburgh's turn to hold the Bruins to two goals in four games.

Old
03-15-2014, 10:22 PM
phosphene
NEVER WIN 4 CHYCHRUN

vCash: 148
It's been their conference to lose since 2010. Eriksson and Iginla more than offset the loss of Seguin and Jagr in the short term. Even Reilly frigging Smith is showing he's more than a throw-in. Great system supported by a perfectly balanced roster.

phosphene is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:36 PM
ORRMAN

Quote:
lol "cup favorites"

What a shock coming from you.

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:38 PM
RapidFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriceBergeronFan View Post
Look at this, the Vancouver homer
nope

Quote:
We are the top team in the East.
most likely

Quote:
Just as good a chance to win it all as the West's top teams.
I dont see them beating the Kings/Blues/Hawks. They would have a chance against the Ducks, but it wouldnt be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORRMAN View Post
What a shock coming from you.
I know right. Who would have thought I'd say the Bruins were the top team in the east!!

Of course thats not enough for you... Unless Im saying the bruins are the best team to ever exist, Im just a terrible hater

RapidFire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:44 PM
ORRMAN

Quote:
nope

most likely

I dont see them beating the Kings/Blues/Hawks. They would have a chance against the Ducks, but it wouldnt be easy.

I know right. Who would have thought I'd say the Bruins were the top team in the east!!

Of course thats not enough for you... Unless Im saying the bruins are the best team to ever exist, Im just a terrible hater
From what I have observed you are a certified Bruins hater. Am I wrong?

ORRMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:57 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramerica Industries View Post
It's kinda funny how Pittsburgh was the overwhelming favorite against Boston a year ago and now the tide has completely turned.

Of course, that just means that if you guys meet again in the ECF, it's Pittsburgh's turn to hold the Bruins to two goals in four games.
I'm surprised at how little mention Pens are getting considering they have been crazy injured. This year, what, practically everyone good except Crosby?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:59 PM
stlblues9

vCash: 9062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramerica Industries View Post
Look, I'm not the most intelligent person out there; hell, frankly I'm a complete moron, but I need help trying to figure out something you wrote here.

Boston and Chicago met in the SCF last year. Did Boston...not play as long a schedule as Chicago ultimately did? I mean, you're saying Boston will get there but then saying Chicago won't because they'll be worn out because "they had a much shorter schedule than usual".

Look, I don't doubt fatigue catching up to Chicago here. It wouldn't be a shock and it wouldn't be a shock if St. Louis upends them in a playoff series. But the logic here doesn't register with me; please tell me if I'm reading this wrong.
The West throughout the season and into the playoffs is a much harder grind though. You make a good point, but Boston also doesn't have to go against Colorado, St. Louis and a Pacific team to make it.

stlblues9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Kramerica Industries

Yeah, I certainly wasn't trying to be provocative or anything, it just seemed like something wasn't adding up to me there. I will say that Boston also had the easier road to the Final; after shaking off the Leafs, they went 8-1 through the ECSF and ECF while the 'Hawks went to a Game 7 vs. DET and had to shake off a 3-1 series deficit, and then played five one-goal decisions with the Kings, but the 'Hawks found their way through then. Obviously, the West winner will have the tougher road through; certainly the more grueling from start to finish (Pittsburgh is probably the only team that can legitimately hope to beat Boston; everyone else is essentially an arms race for collecting pixie dust), but I think we have a general tendency to overrate that "grueling" factor when it comes to championship games/series'.

I'm one of those people who will be expecting Chicago to prevail until I see them on the wrong end of the handshake line, but St. Louis has definitely helped change my opinion on them this season. I'm a firm believer in elite talent winning out in a short series, which is chiefly why I haven't been high on STL in either of the past two seasons, but they've got the ingredients this year to make a full on run. Absolutely legit.