HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Here come the Boston Bruins ...

Old
03-16-2014, 05:50 AM
X66

vCash: 500
Meh.

No Seidenberg, Seguin, Peverly, Jagr or Ference. They're going to miss these 5 in the playoffs.

X66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:03 AM
Flames1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
It that time of season where they become this ridiculous rolling juggernaut ? They've had some easy competition in their recent rout, but Jarome Iginla is having a silently great season with them. I donno man, I don't see how they aren't the cup favorite right now
Jarome Iginla is always a beast after the trade deadline, and has been for the most part of his career. I also agree with most posters on this board who state that the Bruins are the safest bet to count on in going to the finals in the east. If St Louis makes it to the finals mark my words we are in for the best Stanley cup finals we have seen in a good few years.

Both teams are matched so well and are the two teams in my opinion who portray the best mix of size and skill in the NHL. I mean it is not hard to think of the match-ups and how well they play off of eachother, but the only way I think Boston can win this one is if they can stay healthy. Hopefully speaking St Louis will be pretty banged up after going through the three rounds in the west.

So honestly I hate to cheer for another team to win but since Iginla is on Boston its easy to say i will be rooting for him. Would finally give him that ring to top off his great career.

Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:39 AM
johnny_rudeboy

vCash: 50
I of course hope Leafs will make it as far as possible but after that, a St Louis vs Boston final would be pretty sweet. Like watching two trains collide at full speed. Two teams who in recent years have set out a formula for what it means to be a player on their team, what kind of character and set of skills they are looking for. No trying to fit circle objects in to square holes etc. They have traded away some highly skilled players who did not fit their profile and they have become better by doing so. That is impressive.

Krejci is the Bruin with the most points, with 59 but they will most likely finish the season with 6-7 20 goal scorers and their regular team are all on the plus side.
TJ Oshie is the Blues with the most points, with 54 but they will most likely finish the season with 5-6 20 goal scorers and their regular team are all on the plus side.

I would probably give the edge to Boston over 7 games, they seem to be further in their development as a team but St Louis should be getting more chances with the team they have. And I do think it will be Boston and St Louis in the final. Boston for sure, can't see any team stoping them in the East. And I reckon St Louis will find a way to grind their way to the final now that they have Miller. And how awesome would that not be, having a goalie duel between Rask and Miller who have his history with the Bruins.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:46 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramerica Industries View Post
It's kinda funny how Pittsburgh was the overwhelming favorite against Boston a year ago and now the tide has completely turned.

Of course, that just means that if you guys meet again in the ECF, it's Pittsburgh's turn to hold the Bruins to two goals in four games.
That just doesn't seem likely. Maybe the Penguins could win the series, but their D has injuries and the way have been playing is more wide open and allows teams plenty of chances.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:50 AM
bosox1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang Krauser View Post
Meh.

No Seidenberg, Seguin, Peverly, Jagr or Ference. They're going to miss these 5 in the playoffs.
Not sure why you'd name Seguin, Peverly or Jagr but not Horton. Not having Seguin in the playoffs is a complete non-issue, as he really wasn't that good and apart from those two games in the '11 ECF (in which we went 1-1 in them), he really has done nothing other than score the OT winner in Game 6 against Washington that we all remember was a first round exit anyways. He did next to nothing in the '13 playoff run. But wee do have Iginla, who has been just as effective as Horton was in the regular season, if only a little less physical. And Jagr, for as good as he was, didn't notch a playoff goal and we are actually a great offensive team this year so I don't think we'll miss his assists in the playoffs.

Lucic, Krejci and Iggy are playing as good as any other top scoring line in the NHL, and our 2nd line is usually a matchup nightmare for most teams.

bosox1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Tuggy

Calling it right now, Bruins are out in the first round this year.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:54 AM
Kramerica Industries

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmbr_24 View Post
That just doesn't seem likely. Maybe the Penguins could win the series, but their D has injuries and the way have been playing is more wide open and allows teams plenty of chances.
Of course it's unlikely (and, as well as Boston played last year, it was still a fluke to hold an offensive juggernaut to 0.50 GPG). It was more tongue in cheek than anything but I didn't quite remember to hammer it home with a .

Kramerica Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:58 AM
4ORRBRUIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Could you tell us by who ? Since you are calling it

4ORRBRUIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:02 AM
Hali33

I'm a little worried we're peaking too early but yeah, we're on a good roll right now.
Anything could happen with this team in the playoffs, they're a different team than last year. Weaker defensively but much stronger offensively. Unless they get a bad matchup they should make it back to the finals but they've got some vulnerabilities that could make it interesting.

Hali33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:11 AM
774coach

Quote:
Wow ! I'm impressed ! don't tell me what my wife's making me for dinner though .....

774coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:16 AM
nmbr_24

Quote:
Meh.

Let's really examine this. Seidenberg is going to hurt but the addition of Miller seems to be a nice upgrade over McQuaid. Hamilton, Krug, and Bartkowski all look better than last year and Johnny Boychuk has become a very good top pairing defender and I actually think he has surpassed Seidenberg in most facets of the game. Mezaros adds another guy who is good on the PP and is solid physically.

Seguin did almost nothing in the playoffs, 1 goal in 22 games, Loui Eriksson is playing in the spot that Seguin played in the Playoffs and after getting healthy he is starting to look very good and it isn't much of a stretch to imagine him out producing Seguin's 1 goal while playing great defense.

Ference is a # 4-5 guy who stepped up in the playoffs. Bartkowski is playing in the spot Ference left behind and is better than Ference.

Reilly Smith is playing in the spot that Jagr and his 0 goals in the playoffs occupied. Jagr just didn't fit in on this team, Smith does. It isn't hard to imagine he will be more effective than Jagr was.

Peverley is replaced by Soderberg and Soderberg is showing why some people said he was one of the best players not playing in the NHL over the past few years. He looks absolutely fantastic. This is a big upgrade.

The only one that they will miss is Seidenberg, every other position looks fine or is an upgrade. Even Seidenberg being out doesn't look like it hurts them as bad as most people thought it would. They have a few guys in the AHL who have had a few looks in the NHL and guys like Trotman look like they are ready for the NHL, now we are talking about being 10 deep on D even with Seidenberg out.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:51 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Could you tell us by who ? Since you are calling it
Whoever they play in the first round...

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:55 AM
RedeyeRocketeer

Quote:
Whoever they play in the first round...
lol ok then.

RedeyeRocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:59 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Meh.

Seguin went AWOL last year, Pevs didn`t play well, Ference and more importantly Seidenberg will be missed...Jagr forgot how to score too

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Numbah4

Only one question remaining to be answered. Will Chara hand the Cup to Iggy? As, the great Joe Sakic did for Raymond Bourque a few years back.

Numbah4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 08:20 AM
Plural

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowi View Post
They're a contender. Probably one of the top ones. Calling any team cup favorite at this point is stupid.
Absolutely. Pens and Bruins are the best ones from their conference. Hawks, Ducks and many mroe can come out from the west. Although, Bruins is my pick for the Cup.

Plural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 08:29 AM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dangley One View Post
Not sure what last year has to do with this year
1. Most of the players are still there, as well as the coaches, and the system.
2. Teams with lots of speed still pose a challenge to the Bs.
3. Our defensive lynchpin Big Z isn't getting any younger or faster, and Seidenberg, his shutdown partner extraordinaire, is out with injury through next season. In his place (and Ference's) we have young rookies - promising, but prone to lapses.
4. I could counter with "not sure what the regular season has to do with the playoffs": the predictive value of regular season performance has its limits, as we all know.

Look, I know the Bs don't suck, and they probably have a better chance of making it out of the east than any other team, but I also know they have their vulnerabilities (amplified by certain kinds of opponents). If you want to feel like they'll keep rolling through the playoffs as they have through the season, that's fine, but I for one am not gonna get too comfortable.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 08:52 AM
illninofan*

Seidenberg is to Boston what Jackman is to the Blues (strictly in terms of role)?

illninofan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 08:54 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemons View Post
It that time of season where they become this ridiculous rolling juggernaut ? They've had some easy competition in their recent rout, but Jarome Iginla is having a silently great season with them. I donno man, I don't see how they aren't the cup favorite right now
Yeah... Damn.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 08:58 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
No doubt the B's are the favorite big time!! anything less than the ECF is a total fail for them!

Also a comment today by the B's broadcaster was pretty silly. The play was J.Faulk going into the corner to get the puck, he looked back and saw Lucic and slowed up and prepared for a puck battle but misjudged the whole thing and Lucic easily picked up the puck. The Broadcaster says "Lucic intimidated the puck from Faulk"
Lucic is intimidating enough that hemakes defensemen (some) crap tthemselves and botch a routine puck recovery in the corner. The only guy in the Nhl like that.

I'd love to see Bos vs Anaheim, St. Louis, or Chicago. If injuries aren't too bad, each could be a tough 7 game series.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 09:05 AM
slovakjou

I hope the Bruins win as I put money on them .. although Chara recent performances have me worrying a bit

slovakjou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 09:06 AM
nhindian

Best thing the Pens can hope for is Bs-Flyers first round matchup being an absolute bloodbath and going the distance, then having the winner of that series be eliminated in the 2nd round by them if it's Philly or someone else if it's Boston.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Zdeno33Lucic*

Quote:
Meh.

Mezaros, soderberg, eriksson, R.Smith, igilna, Krug, bartkowksi all say otherwise

I take the bunch i named all day and twice on sunday against the players you listed.

Oh and we still have seids so he could be back depending how far we go too

Zdeno33Lucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

Quote:
Meh.

You oddly enough picked some of the worst performers in last years playoffs

Seidenberg was horrrrrrible in the Chicago series

Seguin was invisible the entire playoffs

Peverley was a shadow of his former self

Jagr was ok, couldn't buy a goal though

Ference was actually not horrible though, so maybe we will miss him yeah

I would have been more concerned about losing Horton

You also failed to mention who we gained (Iginla>regular season Horton, Smith>playoff Seguin, Soderberg>Peverley, Eriksson>Jagr)

With the exception of Horton they have some pretty small shoes to fill

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 09:30 AM
burstnbloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyt911 View Post
No doubt the B's are the favorite big time!! anything less than the ECF is a total fail for them!

Also a comment today by the B's broadcaster was pretty silly. The play was J.Faulk going into the corner to get the puck, he looked back and saw Lucic and slowed up and prepared for a puck battle but misjudged the whole thing and Lucic easily picked up the puck. The Broadcaster says "Lucic intimidated the puck from Faulk"
I know this is off-topic, but you can hate on Jack Edwards, but Faulk totally Edler-ed that and played it soft bc of the forecheck.

burstnbloom is offline   Reply With Quote