HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Doug Murray

Old
03-16-2014, 11:40 AM
De Montreal
help

vCash: 500
Now that Diaz is gone here's what I'd do for the rest of the season

Until Gorges is back
Murray - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Weaver

Once Gorges is back
Gorges - Subban
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Weaver/Murray

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Tyson

I love Murray but he is wearing down, maybe time to alternating him til the end of the season

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:24 PM
dcyhabs

If they have to play Murray for size and intimidation play 7 D and shelter him even more.

dcyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:32 PM
habtastic

Same as what's been posted -- Murray is great when used within his limits. 3-4 games ago, everyone was praising him even in the midst of a slump. He is exactly what this team has been missing BUT at the same time incredibly bad at skating and defending. What he CAN do is hit, move bodies and be resilient against the boards. That, and I do feel good that he's in on the scrums. Nobody is messing with him.

Problem is when he has no idea who to cover, is soooo slow at getting to the opponent, is horrendous on odd man rushes and man oh man, where did he get the idea that he could skate the puck up the ice that far with ZERO players behind him!?? I'm shocked Eller was able to catch up.

I won't put him in the goat category cuz what you see is what you get and the guy competes 100%. He just needs to know his limits. Someone should explain that to him. You know, like if we had, say, a coach.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He's pretty bad on D, but what I continue to like is the "presence" after the whistle. I think you saw in the scrums, Neil literally would not even look at him... stirring up his usual stuff but painfully obviously avoiding Murray's glare. I think we can afford to make a little room for that presence, even if the player is a little subpar in other areas. He's still not as useless as a real goon. The Habs could use their better players a little more than they do in certain situations and manage Murray even more than they already do and probably get a little extra benefit. But still, he's worth keeping for another year IMHO.

Agreed 100 per cent..good points..I noticed the same thing with Neil. he'd start trying to bully Habs..and Murray would step in..suddenly Neil was a choir boy.

He struggled in a couple of recent games when he was overused and paired with the wrong partners, but I want him in the lineup down the stretch...there are no tough players in the Habs top nine...Smith and Neil took advantage of that when Murray wasn't on the ice.

Grant McCagg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Native

i have no problem at all with having murray consistently in the lineup. just as long as he's properly utilized. play him within his limits, don't overplay him. he's good on the pk and stay at home role.

he's had a couple moments where he jumped up and contained the puck in the offensive zone boards, very hard to move. they should at least try a couple times parking him in front of the opponents net. when all else fails, its worth a shot.

love his physicality, something we've lacked for a while. we need a mix in the back end and he brings that edge.

Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 01:40 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
He looked his best when Beaulieu was his partner. He seemed to embrace his role to shelter the young guy and not cheat too much offensively. He played within his limits and remained physical, blocking shots and all of the speed work/puck movement was done by Beaulieu.

In contrast, when Murray is paired with Tinordi, it brings out the worst in both players. Tinordi has a naturally big turning radius due to his large frame and long legs. Murray is just not a good skater. So once the big boys were pivoting, they were caught by skilled/speedy forwards.

The opposite was true when Tinordi and Subban were paired together. It's a promising sign for the future and I know Therrien won't run with two green rookies in the play-offs.. However, I'd do it for now until Gorges is back.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Call up Beaulieu or Pateryn or someone with actual puck skill and play 7 D. Weaver-Murray is brutal and Tinordi isn't good enough to be depended on to be the off-side D AND puck carrier of his pairing.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:12 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Hamilton isn't making the playoffs, tinordi and beaulieu should be playing over scrubs like murray and bouillon. It's ridiculous. They're already far better and have a place in this organisation.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:27 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

Guessing this has to do with when Murray lost the puck in the neutral zone which Ottawa countered on and almost scored.

Although it was a poor choice for Murray to skate up instead of passing to Weaver, Weaver also made a really bad read on the Ottawa counter attack.

As the last man back, instead of picking up on the guy breaking away in the middle, his instincts told him to pinch right to pick up the guy trailing on the outside, giving the guy in the middle a fairly clear breakaway. No idea what Weaver is thinking there. He looked absolutely lost on a simple defensive hockey play.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:17 PM
Beendair Donedat

He usually plays within his limitations and he commands a lot of respect out there... Chris Neil wanted to run around last night, and Murray put a stop to that very quickly. That's what we need. He does the tough things, and guys are quite leery of him. We needed someone with that presence.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:38 PM
habsfanatics

I don't believe there's any one trait or characteristics that can overcome being a terrible hockey player, Murray is a terrible hockey player. I'm not convinced a glare in a scrum adds much of anything.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:52 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Subban on the ice for two Sens goals.

Murray on the ice for zero Sens goals.

Yeah, let's start a bash Murray thread.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:09 PM
habsfanatics

LMAO comparing murrays putrid game with Subbans awesome game, priceless.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:12 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Hamilton isn't making the playoffs, tinordi and beaulieu should be playing over scrubs like murray and bouillon. It's ridiculous. They're already far better and have a place in this organisation.
They are not far better, and have a handful of NHL experience. You don't go in Playoffs with two greens like them in the line up.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:13 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
He usually plays within his limitations and he commands a lot of respect out there... Chris Neil wanted to run around last night, and Murray put a stop to that very quickly. That's what we need. He does the tough things, and guys are quite leery of him. We needed someone with that presence.
Exactly. Not hard to understand.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:15 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
LMAO comparing murrays putrid game with Subbans awesome game, priceless.
Defense is defense.

Old
03-16-2014, 04:24 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habstraction View Post
They are not far better, and have a handful of NHL experience. You don't go in Playoffs with two greens like them in the line up.
You don't go into the playoffs with one of the worst defensemen in the league, let alone two of them. Beaulieu put murray on his back when they played together. That's how good the kid is. Staple murray's ass to the bench and watch this team actually outplay others for a change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post

I honestly can't even tell if you're serious anymore.

Do you actually think your post means anything? That it holds any weight whatsoever? That it makes logical sense?

Old
03-16-2014, 04:36 PM
Koivu777

Murray is a Beast, he levels out people pretty much every game. Yea he is very slow, but plays good defensively.

Koivu777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:37 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
You don't go into the playoffs with one of the worst defensemen in the league, let alone two of them. Beaulieu put murray on his back when they played together. That's how good the kid is. Staple murray's ass to the bench and watch this team actually outplay others for a change.

I honestly can't even tell if you're serious anymore.

Do you actually think your post means anything? That it holds any weight whatsoever? That it makes logical sense?
Subban is an offensive DMan but he is still a defenseman. A goal scored while Subban is on the ice does not count less than a goal scored while Murray is on the ice.

Zero goals scored while Murray was on the ice. Why the angst and gnashing of teeth?

Old
03-16-2014, 04:44 PM
Lions999

Quote:

Both goals were bouillon fault, nowhere to be seen.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Subban is an offensive DMan but he is still a defenseman. A goal scored while Subban is on the ice does not count less than a goal scored while Murray is on the ice.

Zero goals scored while Murray was on the ice. Why the angst and gnashing of teeth?
Your post fails in the first 5 words. Subban is not an offensive d. He's a complete two-way defenseman. But you knew that already.

Old
03-16-2014, 04:49 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Murray is a good 7th. Problem is, we have like 3 good 7th's, yet we still manage to get them in the top 6 while Tinordi and Beaulieu are out. Ridiculous.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:58 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Your post fails in the first 5 words. Subban is not an offensive d. He's a complete two-way defenseman. But you knew that already.
Should I pull up his GA/60 for the season and point out where he ranks on just defense in the NHL?

I like PK. The only reason I used him was to show who was on the ice for a couple of goals (our best DMan) and who was not on the ice for a goal, Murray (The latest whipping boy).

Threads like this are as worthless and stupid as the multitude of DD threads that clogged this board.

Meanwhile, in reality, Murray and DD are doing the job they get paid to do, with or without the support of a few posters here.

Old
03-16-2014, 11:08 PM
capebretoncanadien

He is truly awful. He's an ox he can destroy people and is good on the PK but is just a disaster otherwise. I pray he doesn't re-sign.

capebretoncanadien is offline   Reply With Quote