HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Phoenix looking to make a move for a goaltender via Trade or free agent

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2005, 02:02 AM
Gwyddbwyll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
where were they when Thibault & Bulin were on the market ... day late & a dollar short if you ask me
Actually they were one of the most active bidders for Khabibulin.

They didnt seem to fancy Thibault who would have been my choice. Maybe his injuries scared them off.

Raycroft for Mara I guess is reasonable but I'd personally prefer to just sign Brent Johnson and hope LeNeveu turns into Raycroft.

Old
08-15-2005, 05:00 AM
sublimesept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I agree. It seemed like they snagged a bunch of players before the lockout, and now it seems like it's going to come back and bite them in the ass.

How is it going to bite them in the ass... there roster is set the only thing they could use is a better goalie which they will get and if not then they are planning on Lenny coming up this year and taking over the #1 spot. There team salary is under 30mil and there only question mark is goalie which there are quite a bit of options still, so think about that and tell me how they bit themselves in the ass!

Old
08-15-2005, 09:53 AM
jazuli14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Potvin would be a terrible, terrible signing. His style is to sit on the goal line and play the percentages making glove saves. No real sense of positioning, which has two big weaknesses. First, he is old and his reflexes are declining, second, the nets will be larger this year, which will directly impact his save percentage.
Goalie equipment will be smaller. Nets will only be "larger" in the sense that the shooter will have more space to score. Nets will not be physically larger.

Old
08-15-2005, 06:39 PM
hbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I agree. It seemed like they snagged a bunch of players before the lockout, and now it seems like it's going to come back and bite them in the ass.

Don't know if I agree with this assessment.

Phoenix was proactive during the 2004 free agent period and acquired assets at less than market value that fit their team. They acquired a top two line center in Nedved, a proven checking line center in Ricci, a good third line left winger with second line potential in Saprykin, speed on their 4th line in Chimera, and much needed physical d men in O'Donnell, and Gauthier to balance out their offensive rearguards. Overall, with the exception of goal, Phoenix is a much deeper and better team. Keep in mind that the decision to sign these players a year early with the 24% rollback and bidding frenzy that we've seen in recent weeks, Phoenix likely secured some of their free agensts for $2-4 million less than they otherwise would have. To put it another way, we can now afford to spend more on another more expensive player via trade or free agency without salary cap or budgetary restrictions.

Are they long players? Potentially, although there are some players such as Sjostrom who can likely be sent down the AHL so they may not be as long as it looks on paper.

Right now assuming that Sjostrom can be sent down without incident and we protect both Taffe and Kolanos (and one or both of these guys might be safe from reprisal as well) we have Devereux and McAllister exposed at $684 K and $500 K respectively. Hardly untradeable salaries. Phoenix is in pretty good shape.

Old
08-15-2005, 07:50 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

you want manny fernandez?

Old
08-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Yes

Old
08-15-2005, 08:44 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO
you want manny fernandez?
yeah.

Old
08-15-2005, 08:46 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah
I was looking at the Coyotes roster and they have way too many players. I think I counted 8 defenseman and about 15-16 forwards and only one goale. Somebody has to get moved, maybe not for a goalie but for something. Doesn't look like many of those players will be in the minors either.
Yes, because depth is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE thing.

Old
08-15-2005, 11:55 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

How about a bag of pucks, a jock strap, and a minor leaguer that will be going to Europe in three weeks for Fernandez?

Old
08-16-2005, 04:55 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
How about a bag of pucks, a jock strap, and a minor leaguer that will be going to Europe in three weeks for Fernandez?
Done. Why are Minnesotans so displeased with Fernandez?

Old
08-16-2005, 08:32 AM
Takeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB
Martin Biron?

And the wheel goes 'round again.

I don't see Dunham or Potvin as the answer in the desert. Those who know Dunham closely will talk about his work ethic and dedication. Potvin? I just don't see it working out for him and the Yotes. Cujo is an interesting candidate, though.
I could see the Sabres being interested in either Tanabe or Ference, Tanabe to pair with Tallinder or Ference to pair with McKee.

Old
08-16-2005, 09:18 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Tanabe, no. But Ference and a 5th or 6th for Biron or Noronen. Done deal.

Old
08-16-2005, 09:22 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Yote
Tanabe, no. But Ference and a 5th or 6th for Biron or Noronen. Done deal.
If Buffalo wanted Ference,they could have signed him as an unresticted free agent earlier this month

Old
08-16-2005, 09:32 AM
Alberta Yote
Nice run

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
If Buffalo wanted Ference,they could have signed him as an unresticted free agent earlier this month
But that would go against the self imposed moratorium on Buffalo UFA signings.

Old
08-16-2005, 01:29 PM
Llewzaher

Looks Like they are going after Cujo according to Toronto sun

Closed Thread