HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Okay, Canadians, I have a question about rivalries within your country...

Old
03-16-2014, 10:16 AM
Sportserie

vCash: 500
Okay, Canadians, I have a question about rivalries within your country...

I know there's a Toronto/Montreal rivalry. But generally speaking, I am not sure about all the rivalries you guys have within your country concerning NHL teams...

For example, does Toronto dislike both Montreal and Ottawa and what are the reasons why there's dislike? Just because it's a rivalry or any specific reasoning? Does Montreal dislike Ottawa? What about the western rivalries? Vancouver dislikes both Calgary or Edmonton or just Calgary? Does everyone generally like Winnipeg and how do Winnipeg fans feel about other Canadian teams?

You get my point... what is the breakdown here between all the teams in Canada and how they feel about each other and what are the true rivalries within the country?

Of course I don't want this to be a thread that causes drama and flaming posts. lol I am really curious as to how the rivalries break down in your country.

Thanks.

Sportserie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:19 AM
ResilientBeast
5-14-6-1

vCash: 300
Out west, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary hate each other horribly.

But the hate between Edmonton and Calgary when we were both good made for some of the most entertaining hockey ever.

ResilientBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:29 AM
smack66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
I know there's a Toronto/Montreal rivalry. But generally speaking, I am not sure about all the rivalries you guys have within your country concerning NHL teams...

For example, does Toronto dislike both Montreal and Ottawa and what are the reasons why there's dislike? Just because it's a rivalry or any specific reasoning? Does Montreal dislike Ottawa? What about the western rivalries? Vancouver dislikes both Calgary or Edmonton or just Calgary? Does everyone generally like Winnipeg and how do Winnipeg fans feel about other Canadian teams?

You get my point... what is the breakdown here between all the teams in Canada and how they feel about each other and what are the true rivalries within the country?

Of course I don't want this to be a thread that causes drama and flaming posts. lol I am really curious as to how the rivalries break down in your country.

Thanks.
First, I'm a non leafs fan... Outside of hockey, Toronto has an nba team an MLB team and will eventually get an nfl team. Outside of the NHL there is Toronto and then everyone else below them. No other Canadian city is even close to Toronto from an overall sports perspective

smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:30 AM
HarrisonFord
The Pain Is Coming

The Toronto Montreal rivalry is as old as the NHL itself. We haven't had any good playoff series recently to re-ignite the hate, but it will always be there.

The Toronto Ottawa rivalry comes from the really heated playoff series from the early 2000s, where Toronto beat Ottawa in every playoff series

HarrisonFord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:31 AM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Seems like every Canadian team (except maybe Calgary?) has a pretty strong dislike for the Leafs.

Our only real rivalries are Ottawa and Montreal, although even those are more for historical reasons than recent ones

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:31 AM
n00bxQb

For the most part, Vancouver hates Calgary, Edmonton, and Toronto. I don't see much hate for Winnipeg (though I'm sure it'll grow as they're no longer our farm team and are in our conference now). No one really cares about Ottawa and Montreal is somewhat liked (lots of BC players, never any historical rivalry).

Individual fans will have different opinions. That's just what I've noticed amongst Canucks fans I know.

n00bxQb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:32 AM
Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
The Toronto Montreal rivalry is as old as the NHL itself. We haven't had any good playoff series recently to re-ignite the hate, but it will always be there.

The Toronto Ottawa rivalry comes from the really heated playoff series from the early 2000s, where Toronto beat Ottawa in every playoff series
I would definitely be interested in a Toronto-Montreal 1st round series. First one since 1979, I believe?

03-16-2014, 10:33 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post

Toronto Montreal rivalry is as old as the country, man. It goes beyond hockey.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Tyrus
5 ft 8 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I would definitely be interested in a Toronto-Montreal 1st round series. First one since 1979, I believe?
If you guys would stop letting us hanging I'd be pleased too. Leafs - Habs can lead to some really interesting hockey nights.

Tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Hugo Sham

montreal-Toronto-Ottawa all hate each other
Calgary-Edmonton-Vancouver all hate each other
everybody hates Toronto
winnipeg is too young to be hated

Last edited by Hugo Sham: 03-16-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:36 AM
Erik Estrada

The historic rivalry is vs the Leafs (my great-grandfather disliked them)... It was our only real rivalry vs a Canadian team until last season... Now, we dislike the Sens too (following the bad blood from last season's playoffs.) So, for us 1-Leafs, 2-Sens...

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Blind Gardien
nexus of the crisis

Habs-Leafs rivalry is mostly a media concoction. Fans and players haven't really cared much about the other team for decades, except inasmuch as the media prods us to. It's a rivalry of convenience, basically, but not really anything like Habs-Bruins, for example, which is a "real rivalry" based on on-ice factors over many many years.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Kyle93*
LL4Life

vCash: 1255
I'm a leaf fan. All I can say is **** the jets. that is all.

Kyle93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:44 AM
frankthetank91

I'm Canadian and a Leafs fan and it's weird that the every team I dislike in the NHL is Canadian. Different levels though of course.

Hate:

Habs
Sens
Canucks

Dislike:

Jets
Oilers

Indifferent:

Flames

frankthetank91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:45 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Calgary-Edmonton-Calgary all hate each other
everybody hates Toronto
Excellent summary.

Vancouver is pretty universally disliked too in my experience, but not as universally as Toronto and that's only a recent and probably temporary phenomenon.

This thread reminds me of the map of hate from a few years ago... someone should break that out

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:48 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post

Of course I don't want this to be a thread that causes drama and flaming posts. lol I am really curious as to how the rivalries breakdown in your country.

Thanks.
Of course, Toronto-Montreal goes back to the fact that from 1938-70, they were the only two Canadian teams in the NHL.

There is a Toronto-Ottawa rivalry that was primarily fueled by several playoff series which the Leafs always won in the late 90s and early 2000s. Some of it is also driven by the large amount of Leafs fans at the Canadian Tire Centre when Toronto plays there, which angers some Ottawa fans.

I'm not all that sure about Vancouver's rivalries, but I think they consider both Edmonton and Calgary to be rivals. And of course, Calgary and Edmonton are provincial rivals, but I'm not sure how much of that is real and much is driven by media.

As for Winnipeg, I'm not sure that this current Winnipeg team has been around long enough for other teams to really care about them yet.

rojac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:51 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Habs-Leafs rivalry is mostly a media concoction. Fans and players haven't really cared much about the other team for decades, except inasmuch as the media prods us to. It's a rivalry of convenience, basically, but not really anything like Habs-Bruins, for example, which is a "real rivalry" based on on-ice factors over many many years.
Habs-Leafs rivalry is a byproduct of the sociological rivalry of Montreal-Toronto.

It's less about beating the other team, than upsetting the other city.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:53 AM
HarrisonFord
The Pain Is Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
And we've got a real chance of it happening this season too! It would be incredible for both teams and for the rivalry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Toronto Montreal rivalry is as old as the country, man. It goes beyond hockey.
very true. My girlfriend lives in Hull for school, and I always wear my Leafs hat out there. I get a comment from somebody or another about 80% of the time lol

HarrisonFord is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:53 AM
notsocommonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack66 View Post
First, I'm a non leafs fan... Outside of hockey, Toronto has an nba team an MLB team and will eventually get an nfl team. Outside of the NHL there is Toronto and then everyone else below them. No other Canadian city is even close to Toronto from an overall sports perspective
Nice irrelevant post that has nothing to do with the thread...Congrats on the unsolicited arrogance though!

Vancouver's main rivalries used to be Edmonton and Calgary strictly due to geography/divisional setting. Edmonton and Calgary have been bad for so long now that there hasn't been much of a rivalry there. And now we suck too so maybe we'll start a rivalry for who can be the worst.

There will always be a rivalry between Van and Toronto and Van and Montreal (for Nucks fans anyways), partly due to the fact there are so many transplants from those cities in Van and the arena is usually split when they come to town.

The heritage classic was a little ridiculous with Ottawa because other than a game 100 years ago, there is next to no history between the 2 teams, therefore no rivalry.

No rivalry with Winnipeg yet either, simply haven't been around long enough to hate.

Nothing gets a good rivalry going like a playoff series or 2.....in other words, no rivalries for us for about 5 years

notsocommonsense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:55 AM
coolasprICE

Truth is most of Canada regards the Leafs as a joke considering they haven't won a playoff series in ages.

Battle of Alberta is well non existant since both teams suck.

Ottawa - Montreal is getting better especially with a playoff matchup last year.

Personally have never been able to hate a Vancouver team.. Call it the gentle Sedin factor.

Quebec - Montreal was the best NHL rivalry of all time.

Winnipeg fans are amazing so it's always a treat.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:55 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 50
There's a huge Habs following here in Vancouver and the rest of the people are indifferent about them. There's also a huge Leafs following here but the rest of the people dislike them. Edmonton and Calgary are hated obviously. No one cares for the Sens and I'm not sure about the Jets.

maroon 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:56 AM
Erik Estrada

Of note:

-Our biggest rivalry is vs Boston (because of the playoff history)
-We also had a huge rivalry vs Quebec City when they played (it was in certain ways more nasty than the others)

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:57 AM
cheeeko

As a leafs fan, I'm kind of indifferent towards the sens. I don't hate them, I just don't really care about them. Montreal I have a strong, hateful respect for.

It's like Montreal and Toronto are brothers that are always trying to be better than the other, wanna beat them every time more than any other game. Ottawa is like the little brother of both teams. Kind of annoying, think that they're on the level of Montreal Toronto in terms of rivalry but they're not.

To me, anyway.

No offender Ottawa fans.

cheeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:58 AM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Speaking personally as a Toronto Maple Leaf fan.

I have a deep seeded hate for the Ottawa Senators (battle of Ontario) and the Boston Bruins (dirty yet successful team that has dominated us in recent years).

Most other Leaf fans I know heavily dislike the "Scabs" as they are known around these parts. I enjoy the games we play against the Montreal Canadiens because they have a similar team make-up as us. The game's are usually played at a great pace, involve some physicality, the crowd is loud and tend to have ~equal parts Leaf/Hab fans and generally have a bunch of goals scored and dramatics. However, I don't hate them per se. I actually consider Carey Price and P.K. Subban two of my favorite players leaguewide. I think a first round playoff series will really help to develop some animosity between our historic rivals.

The Western Canadian teams are hardly of consequence to me though.. We only face them two times a year and once per season in the past.. No real rivalry with them.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:59 AM
TootooTrain
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack66 View Post
Thanks for answering a question that wasn't asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Calgary-Edmonton-Calgary all hate each other
everybody hates Toronto
This sums is up pretty good. I will say though that the Ottawa/Toronto stuff is more like a sibling rivalry. Where as the Montreal/Toronto rivalry is alot more 'hate' induced.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote