HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Okay, Canadians, I have a question about rivalries within your country...

Old
03-17-2014, 07:34 AM
Ret

vCash: 500
From most hated to least hated as a Leaf fan.

1. Ottawa
2. Vancouver
3. Montreal
4. Edmonton
5. Winnipeg
6. Calgary

Don't really have an issue with Winnipeg or Calgary. Edmonton is just...meh.

Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:21 AM
Reign Nateo

One thing I've noticed from living in both Vancouver and Alberta a lot is that the average Canucks fan doesn't really have the same hate for the Alberta teams as they do for the Canucks and each other.

Radio personalities and newspapers take shots at the Canucks constantly, it's like they're always on the minds of Albertans, but in Vancouver, it's not nearly as big of a deal among the average fan.

To illustrate this, I was in Vancouver for both Alberta teams' Stanley Cup runs and people there were supportive and wanted to see the Oilers or Flames win (generally). Then I was in Alberta for the Canucks run and anti-Canuck hate was everywhere. Like the province would shut down if the Canucks won. It was kind of weird to be honest.

People really hate the Canucks in Alberta, but people in Vancouver don't think about Alberta much. They usually follow what Toronto is doing more.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 03:58 PM
btimbit

vCash: 1030
Quote:
Originally Posted by bWo View Post
Calgary winters are nothing close to mild. The community i live is ****ed come winter time. The people that live across the street from me had to shovel their garage out, Yes, i said shovel out their ****ing garage.
Did you suggest they close the door?

This winter got off to a snow-filled start, as did the rest of the country, but look at all the previous years. I can have my summer car out all the time in the winter here.

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Riddum

vCash: 1145
I hate Vancouver because of the riots.

Riddum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Virtanen18
SAMCRO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddum View Post
I hate Vancouver because of the riots.
I hate Montreal because of the riots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Riot

Virtanen18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SANTArelli25 View Post
I hate Montreal because of the riots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Riot
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_riot

Yeah there's been many major sports riots in recent history. But let's focus on Vancouver... Vancouver has had 2 hockey related riots. Montreal has had 5 if you count 2010.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victoria_Snelgrove

And at least no one died in Vancouver. Poor girl, should have been a celebration for the city of Boston and the Red Sox. Ended up being pretty sad because of some idiots.

There's idiots ready to riot in every city. Just need something big enough to bring them all together. You'll notice these events are prone to happen in cities with one sport that far out-weighs any other in that city. A common focus for the idiots. That's why we see riots in places like Montreal, Vancouver, and soccer cities all over Europe. One sport rules all others by a wide margin, and too many people get carried away. That's a lot of cities to hate around the world.

I hated the riots as much as the next person, but a little perspective is needed.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:16 PM
Fairweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMac View Post
There is a huge hate for Toronto in this city though. However, that's a one-way rivalry, because no one in Toronto cares about Vancouver in that way.
This is something that Toronto posters on HFBoards are eager to remind everyone as often as possible. That they Absolutely don't care about Vancouver.

Fairweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:25 PM
keslerbomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Lu View Post
From most hated to least hated as a Leaf fan.

1. Ottawa
2. Vancouver
3. Montreal
4. Edmonton
5. Winnipeg
6. Calgary

Don't really have an issue with Winnipeg or Calgary. Edmonton is just...meh.
Wow, Vancouver has overtaken 100 years of history to become more hated than the Habs?

Anyways, as a Canucks fan my list of most to least hated

1. Toronto
2. Calgary
3. Edmonton
4. Winnipeg (Recent, that last game they were playing really dirty)
5. Ottawa
6. Montreal (Don't actually dislike them at all, they're my Eastern team)

keslerbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:38 PM
icerocket

As a Habs fan:

1. Toronto
2. Quebec
3. Ottawa (Just because they whine so much)

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Kohr

Not sure why, but I feel like the Oilers/Jets are going to have a sick rivalry once both teams are competitive.

Kohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:00 PM
Do Make Say Think
& Yet & Yet

I'm a Sens fan

I hate:
Toronto
Montreal
Vancouver

Don't care about:
Winnipeg
Edmonton

Like:
Calgary

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:07 PM
JulianHopper*

Right now it's the Flames vs Canucks and also the Jets.

Before they moved to Phoenix, Flames vs Jets rivalry was pretty good. I know I always hated the Jets and still do.

Flames and Oilers used to be good but it just hasn't had the intensity of late. Probably has a lot to do with how bad the Oilers have been.

JulianHopper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:17 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bWo View Post
Calgary winters are nothing close to mild.
Depends on what you are comparing it to. Compared to the other Canadian NHL cities, winters are pretty mild in Calgary, warmer than every city except for Toronto and Van

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:21 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

to be honest, i don't think anyone in vancouver really gas about the oilers. but no matter how much they suck, or how much we suck and they're good, we'll always hate the flames.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:26 PM
vadim sharifijanov
ugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMac View Post
There is a huge hate for Toronto in this city though. However, that's a one-way rivalry, because no one in Toronto cares about Vancouver in that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairweather View Post
This is something that Toronto posters on HFBoards are eager to remind everyone as often as possible. That they Absolutely don't care about Vancouver.

actually, the same seems to hold true off the internet. i lived in toronto and was there for the 2011 cup run. never saw a city put so much effort into "not caring" about the canucks-- people were buying freakin' bruins jerseys...

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:27 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
One thing I've noticed from living in both Vancouver and Alberta a lot is that the average Canucks fan doesn't really have the same hate for the Alberta teams as they do for the Canucks and each other.
Its because teams generally have to be good to be hated. When I was growing up in the 80s, the Nucks were an insignificant little team that posed no threat. The Flames on the other hand were a heated rival that I hated passionately.

Now I dont really hate the Flames, since they suck as much as my Oilers do. Both Oiler and Flames fans have hated the Nucks for the past few years when they were a contending team, but I can feel my hate for the Nucks wane, as they slowly slide out of contention and watch their window close.

So right now I dont hate any Canadian team. Winnipeg's no good either, so they arent worth hate. The only decent Canadian teams are in the east, and I dont care about eastern teams.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:50 PM
Pierre Dagenais
pissening

I'm a Habs fan

Don't like:
Leafs
Sens

Like the team but don't like the fans:
Canucks

Don't care:
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Calgary

Pierre Dagenais is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:23 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
montreal-Toronto-Ottawa all hate each other
Calgary-Edmonton-Vancouver all hate each other
everybody hates Toronto
winnipeg is too young to be hated
Pretty much this.

@ the poster who suggested that the Toronto-Montreal rivalry is media-generated. That's false. There's so many transplants between the two cities that make for the rivalry.

seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:28 PM
OnsideM9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
I'm a Habs fan

Don't like:
Leafs
Sens

Like the team but don't like the fans:
Canucks

Don't care:
Winnipeg
Edmonton
Calgary

Sens fan

Hate:

1. Toronto

-Whatever team employs Burke

and I have to list Montreal after Saturday's game (how can the fans not admit they would have burned down the city if the calls went the other way) - come on! Still fresh.

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/kerry_fraser/?id=446567

OnsideM9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Lobstertainment
Oh no, my brains.

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
Toronto hates Montreal, and vice versa because of course as is tradition.

Toronto and Ottawa hate each other because, divisional rivals, in the same province, with 4 playoff series in what was it 5 years?

Edmonton-Calgary, both from Alberta, have a long established hatred for decades now.

Vancouver-Everyone: Their fans seem to relish in the misery of all the other Canadian teams, so equally **** them

Winnipeg-Everyone- They're weird, they've only been back for a few seasons now, and have not been in the same division as the other canadian teams, also for 2 seasons they were in the East, and now they're in the west so they haven't had time to develop a rivalry with anyone else. That said their fans seem to hate everyone not named the Jets. They boo every captain, everyone. It's very one sided though I think, I don't know if any other canadian fans hate the Jets, I think we're all still happy they got their team back and wish them good luck.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:46 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResilientBeast View Post
Out west, Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary hate each other horribly.

But the hate between Edmonton and Calgary when we were both good made for some of the most entertaining hockey ever.
Yeah, I feel sorry for fans who werent around for the 80s Battle of Alberta. Some of the most talented and tough players in the league all within 2.5 hours of each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
everybody hates Toronto
Do they? I dont. I'm indifferent to them.

I dont really understand the hate. They arent that great of a team. they sucked, then built themselves to become a playoff team. Its not like they just bought their success like they tried to pre-cap. They are a decent team thats not overly dirty, whiney or divey. At least not more than most other teams.

As for the fans, most of them have watched every other Canadian team succeed more than their team in their lifetime, so any fan obnoxiousness is kind of quaint, becasue they have nothing tangible to back it up. But they are a loyal patient bunch and understand and love the game.

As for the media, TSN has been called the Toronto Sports Network, but if you have a problem with that, go to one of the other numerous sports websites for your news. And its not like TSN is going to be the go-to for NHL anymore. And if you are sick of the Leafs getting stuck down your throat every saturday, maybe you should get Center Ice. Or watch the other game on the double header.

Maybe its just me, but I really dont get it.

Edit: This is from a Western perspective though. I understand why Habs or Sens fans would hate

Last edited by Cawz: 03-17-2014 at 09:06 PM.
Old
03-17-2014, 08:48 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Pretty much this.

@ the poster who suggested that the Toronto-Montreal rivalry is media-generated. That's false. There's so many transplants between the two cities that make for the rivalry.
Geographically-close. Rival cities culturally, economically and politically resulting in Ottawa becoming the capital. Lingual reasons as well. French is hardly spoken in Toronto despite being mandatory from grade 4 - 9 and being part of the same transport corridor.

Ottawa is sort of like the border between Montreal and Toronto. There's a lot more French elements over there. For that reason, I could see why they dislike both cities.

My ranking:

1. Montreal
2. Detroit ( 90s, etc)
3. Ottawa( 2000s)
4. Buffalo
5. Boston ( not really a rivalry, but could develop into one)

I personally don't care about other teams and can't see most Torontonians being different. Having spent a lot of time in the city, I knew scores of people who have never been to Vancouver, but been to the North-East American cities ( i.e. Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Chicago, NYC, etc) and the Caribbean nations SEVERAL times*. I'm thinking, maybe we need another team in the Toronto area or at least Hamilton to spice things up.

Added Later:

- Should include Los Angeles, Las Vegas. Must admit, Calgary, Vancouver and Winnipeg are nice cities, while Edmonton has an interesting mall. Worth visiting even though US is more cost-effective!

Last edited by The_Chosen_One: 03-17-2014 at 09:00 PM.
The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:51 PM
dkdaniel
GO HABS GO

As a Habs fan:
HATE:
Toronto
Ottawa

Rest are mehhh.

dkdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:59 PM
GOSENSGO1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeeko View Post
As a leafs fan, I'm kind of indifferent towards the sens. I don't hate them, I just don't really care about them. Montreal I have a strong, hateful respect for.

It's like Montreal and Toronto are brothers that are always trying to be better than the other, wanna beat them every time more than any other game. Ottawa is like the little brother of both teams. Kind of annoying, think that they're on the level of Montreal Toronto in terms of rivalry but they're not.

To me, anyway.

No offender Ottawa fans.
As a Sens fan, that's ANNOYINGLY exactly how I feel ( we're looked at as the little brother and always get picked on as such ) and a pretty good explanation of the Ottawa-Montreal-Toronto rivalries.

GOSENSGO1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

Montreal fan:

Hate Toronto. Ugh. Thankfully I can hide among my fellow fans in French bars while your fans congregate in our more English-friendly bars everytime Toronto is in town. They're obnoxious and annoying as hell. Bunch of frat-*******.

Ottawa. It wasn't always that way. Then came the Karlsson fanboys and a whole lot of crying. It's pretty unbearable.

Other teams... nothing really. I sort of like Edmonton / Winnipeg.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote