HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rank the California Teams

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2014, 04:44 PM
  #76
WHY LIE GUY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 748
vCash: 500
1. Sharks
2. Kings
3. Ducks

WHY LIE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 04:54 PM
  #77
Wolfpuck
More Finns More Wins
 
Wolfpuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Section 308
Country: United States
Posts: 14,370
vCash: 500
1. Kings (their team and style of play is built for playoff success)
2. Ducks
3. Sharks (still waiting for them to put it all together when it counts)

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:35 PM
  #78
SouthWest
Registered User
 
SouthWest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 885
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpuck View Post
1. Kings (their team and style of play is built for playoff success)
2. Ducks
3. Sharks (still waiting for them to put it all together when it counts)
today's shark team is way different then teams of the past, not really fair to group it all together at this point.

there is only 5 players still on the team that were present for the hight of their chocking, (president trophy year) and vlasic and pavelski were barely regulars in the league then...

SouthWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:45 PM
  #79
quackquackquack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,300
vCash: 500
So Kings over the Ducks and Sharks for what reason? Because they had a 7 game winning streak recently? That's cute, the Ducks have had 3 of those this season. Wow i guess its really "what have you done for me lately." People are living in last week. The Ducks just beat the Avs and Kings on the road. Where's our respect?

Ducks/Sharks



Kings.

quackquackquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:49 PM
  #80
Backpack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Baldwin Hills
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Ducks
Sharks
Kings

Ya know, like the standings.

Backpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 05:51 PM
  #81
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,814
vCash: 141
1. Ducks Sharks Kings

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:27 PM
  #82
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser
 
SnarkAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
I'm not going to rank the 3 teams, but as a Sharks fan I'm way more scared of facing the Kings than Anaheim.

Anaheim has objectively had amazing luck this year. Look at the 5 on 5 PDO numbers. They are a good team catching lots of breaks. Kings are a good team not catching breaks. PDO isn't foolproof, but a PDO of over 103 is indicative of some good fortune.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:28 PM
  #83
Magic Mitch
Auston 2:16
 
Magic Mitch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Citadel
Posts: 5,791
vCash: 590
1.Kings
2.Sharks
3.Ducks

Magic Mitch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:29 PM
  #84
Getz2perry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
I'm not going to rank the 3 teams, but as a Sharks fan I'm way more scared of facing the Kings than Anaheim.

Anaheim has objectively had amazing luck this year. Look at the 5 on 5 PDO numbers. They are a good team catching lots of breaks. Kings are a good team not catching breaks. PDO isn't foolproof, but a PDO of over 103 is indicative of some good fortune.
Oh NO ADVANCED STATS BEING PROOVED WRONG

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:33 PM
  #85
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by btlaffin View Post
The Sharks have never been to the Stanley Cup finals... How can they be ranked above a team who have been there twice and won the cup?
There were like 3 sharks on the team the last time the ducks made it that are still there and like 5 on the ducks

This can't be a serious post, but, yet, it is!

On topic

Sharks
Kings

Ducks

Sharks fans will say Sharks over Kings, ducks far below both, Kings fans will say Kings over Sharks, ducks way below both, but both SJ and LA fans know that Anaheim isn't even on their level

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:35 PM
  #86
Getz2perry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
There were like 3 sharks on the team the last time the ducks made it that are still there and like 5 on the ducks

This can't be a serious post, but, yet, it is!

On topic

Sharks
Kings

Ducks

Sharks fans will say Sharks over Kings, ducks far below both, Kings fans will say Kings over Sharks, ducks way below both, but both SJ and LA fans know that Anaheim isn't even on their level
At least you don't look dumb in that post

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:40 PM
  #87
MarleauApologist
#FireDougWilson
 
MarleauApologist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,522
vCash: 500
I'm just gonna make 2 different points

1. If you think the Sharks, Kings, or Ducks are different teams in the playoffs, then you don't know much about any of them. Regular season and playoff performance does not vary between these teams. You make your ignorance blatant when you say things like "regular season, team x, y, z, playoffs, team z, x, y".
2. If you think the ducks are on the same level as San Jose or Los Angeles, you haven't watched much of any of the 3 teams. The ducks can't even consistently make the playoffs, they are extremely lucky right now, once their luck drops back to normal, BAM, first round exit, they lost last year to Detroit in the first round lol

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:47 PM
  #88
Getz2perry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
I'm just gonna make 2 different points

1. If you think the Sharks, Kings, or Ducks are different teams in the playoffs, then you don't know much about any of them. Regular season and playoff performance does not vary between these teams. You make your ignorance blatant when you say things like "regular season, team x, y, z, playoffs, team z, x, y".
2. If you think the ducks are on the same level as San Jose or Los Angeles, you haven't watched much of any of the 3 teams. The ducks can't even consistently make the playoffs, they are extremely lucky right now, once their luck drops back to normal, BAM, first round exit, they lost last year to Detroit in the first round lol
2 years of extremely good luck.... #1 prospect pool in the league, 1 of the top lines in hockey and they don't even have a real 3rd person to it. Didn't the sharks lose to the ducks in the first round as a 1 seed? well this just got awkward... all time the sharks are what 0-4 vs California teams in the playoffs? Least cups, least cup appearances... sure you guys make the playoffs but you don't do anything with it ill take 2 cup appearenecs in the last 10 years over no cup appearances. For a team that constantly gets a high playoff seed and doesn't do anything with it shark fans are certainly high and mighty.

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:52 PM
  #89
Backpack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Baldwin Hills
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
I'm not going to rank the 3 teams, but as a Sharks fan I'm way more scared of facing the Kings than Anaheim.

Anaheim has objectively had amazing luck this year. Look at the 5 on 5 PDO numbers. They are a good team catching lots of breaks. Kings are a good team not catching breaks. PDO isn't foolproof, but a PDO of over 103 is indicative of some good fortune.
would you rather be good or lucky?

There is already a way of determining objectively (or as objectively as possible) which team is better than another - the standings, which are not determined by advanced stats.

Backpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:53 PM
  #90
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser
 
SnarkAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post
Oh NO ADVANCED STATS BEING PROOVED WRONG
No, they're showing that Anaheim has been lucky, not that they should be losing. Teams with a high PDO tend to overachieve, and teams with a low PDO tend to underachieve. This based on numbers that tend to regress to the mean. Lately Anaheim's PDO has been lower, and they've been doing worse.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:55 PM
  #91
Getz2perry
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 5,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
No, they're showing that Anaheim has been lucky, not that they should be losing. Teams with a high PDO tend to overachieve, and teams with a low PDO tend to underachieve. This based on numbers that tend to regress to the mean. Lately Anaheim's PDO has been lower, and they've been doing worse.
I get how they work and what they mean but there is a reason why teams get on the ice and play the game. Why watch the games if your just going to assume your magical stats will be right.

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:57 PM
  #92
Milan90
Registered User
 
Milan90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Etobicoke, Ontario
Country: Serbia
Posts: 1,465
vCash: 500
Sharks
Ducks
Kings

With the Sharks well ahead of the Ducks, IMO.

Milan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:57 PM
  #93
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser
 
SnarkAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpack View Post
would you rather be good or lucky?

There is already a way of determining objectively (or as objectively as possible) which team is better than another - the standings, which are not determined by advanced stats.
That's fine, but good luck very rarely continues over long periods of time. The latest bunch of games could very well be this regression to the mean.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:02 PM
  #94
Backpack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Baldwin Hills
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
That's fine, but good luck very rarely continues over long periods of time. The latest bunch of games could very well be this regression to the mean.
Sure, but to dismiss the success of Anaheim this season as purely luck is HUGELY short-sighted. They are the best team in the Pacific (as it stands right now), and I can prove it.

Backpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:10 PM
  #95
Colorado Avalanche
Registered User
 
Colorado Avalanche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Lieto
Country: Finland
Posts: 19,084
vCash: 500
1. Sharks
2. Anaheim
3. Los Angeles

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:14 PM
  #96
NinetyThree24
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,311
vCash: 500
Sharks
Kings
Ducks

Sharks have looked really good every time I've seen them this season.
Kings are great defensively, but can be questionable offensively.
Ducks are an enigma to me. Sometimes awesome, sometimes unimpressive.

NinetyThree24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:16 PM
  #97
SnarkAttack
Registered Loser
 
SnarkAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: East Bay, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,147
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backpack View Post
Sure, but to dismiss the success of Anaheim this season as purely luck is HUGELY short-sighted. They are the best team in the Pacific (as it stands right now), and I can prove it.
That proves that Anaheim has been more consistent throughout the season, not that they are better. The Sharks played about 10-15 games with an AHL bottom 6 due to injuries, so the full season point totals, while how playoffs are seeded, aren't the be all end all to which team is better either. It's pointlessly long-sighted to assume that games played in December have any bearing on which team is better.

Statistics can be used to prove just about anything(justly or unjustly), but that doesn't mean they're all wrong.

SnarkAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:18 PM
  #98
mattcookefan
Registered User
 
mattcookefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Matt Cooke's house
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
for the playoffs ill take
1.sharks
2.kings
3.ducks

I simply don't think hiller can compete with niemi and quick

mattcookefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:26 PM
  #99
Backpack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Baldwin Hills
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
That proves that Anaheim has been more consistent throughout the season, not that they are better. The Sharks played about 10-15 games with an AHL bottom 6 due to injuries, so the full season point totals, while how playoffs are seeded, aren't the be all end all to which team is better either. It's pointlessly long-sighted to assume that games played in December have any bearing on which team is better.

Statistics can be used to prove just about anything(justly or unjustly), but that doesn't mean they're all wrong.
I agree, but I also think the only way you can determine which team is "better" than another is to have every team play every other team multiple times to create a large sample size, in which case you HAVE to include games from December, though they have no bearing on the current performance of a team.

Not ideal. But on the other hand, if we were to just count say the last game the team has played, would that give a more accurate snapshot of a teams level of play? The Ducks beat the Kings last night. Therefore Ducks > Kings. This is your argument, no?

Backpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
  #100
Backpack
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Baldwin Hills
Posts: 256
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattcookefan View Post
for the playoffs ill take
1.sharks
2.kings
3.ducks

I simply don't think hiller can compete with niemi and quick
me too

Backpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.