HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Rank the California Teams

Old
03-17-2014, 07:34 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
1 - San Jose Sharks
2 - Anaheim Ducks
3 - Los Angeles Ducks

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:37 PM
4 goals and glory

All 3 teams are really close.
If I had to rank them for this year the playoffs will be

1. Ducks/Sharks
2. Kings
3. Ducks/Sharks

This is not a knock on the Kings. I think whoever wins the division will come out victorious in the end.
A first round of Ducks/Kings or Sharks/Kings will be a brutal series and the winner of that will then go on to face (presumably, I think the Sharks/Ducks will be able to beat Min/Dal/Phx) the winner of the division.

This winner of the 2-3 spot in the pacific will be much more worn than the division winner of the pacific and thus will lose to the top team.

4 goals and glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:40 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksFan1 View Post
Well if that's the case then they weren't considered one either in 2012, and yet they won the cup, so whether or not they are considered a "post season team" whatever that means seems irrelevant.
Apparently you didn't read with the acquisition of Richards we became cup favorites BEFORE the seasons started.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Apparently you didn't read with the acquisition of Richards we became cup favorites BEFORE the seasons started.
Which isn't particularly relevant when the team lost that status over the course of the regular season. Cup favorites have been named prior to the season before, and fallen out of favor.

03-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muelch View Post
Well said...

'07 was a great Ducks team, Pronger and Niedermayer on the same team was insane

Beauchemin and Robidas just aren't gonna cut it.

2014, LA is the best and San Jose is worth consideration. No chance the for Anaheim
Anaheim's top defenseman is Fowler, and having Beauchemin and Robidas as our #2 and #3 is much better. It's also a pretty deep blue line, with Lindholm, Lovejoy, Allen, Vatanen, Sbisa, and Fistric. For all the talk about how unimpressive that blue line is, they've gotten it done all season. They may not lock down the opposition quite the same way that the Kings do, but the team has made up for it by scoring quite a bit more.

Also, saying there is no chance for Anaheim is asinine. Anaheim has been one of the top teams all season, and were stapled to the top of the league until a recent hiccup. They've shown themselves competitive against Los Angeles and San Jose both, including beating Los Angeles on the second night of back-to-back games without their top defenseman. We'll see how Anaheim does, but to say they have no chance is really quite silly.

Last edited by Sojourn: 03-17-2014 at 08:46 PM.
Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:04 PM
mighty all the way

There's a lot of idiots in this thread. Sharks scare me more than the kings. I don't want to play either cuz kings games are boring as hell. But I gotta give them credit to playoff success and just cuz the sharks haven't won the cup doesn't mean they aren't good in the playoffs.

Playoff
Sharks
Kings
Ducks (Perry has got to score in these important games, couldn't do it last playoffs or Olympics)

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 01:51 AM
flyin_finn
Fighter Jet Pilot

Kings
Ducks
Sharks

Kings have the legacy of Gretzky and they've had couple of good playoff runs in last few years. Ducks have made the SC finals twice. Sharks... well, they are solid during regular seasons.

flyin_finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:52 AM
Honour Over Glory

1. Seals
2. Ducks
3. Shark
4. Kings

Last edited by Sojourn: 03-18-2014 at 02:58 AM. Reason: Nope
Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 02:59 AM
BrianSmith
Chokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin_finn View Post
Kings
Ducks
Sharks

Kings have the legacy of Gretzky and they've had couple of good playoff runs in last few years. Ducks have made the SC finals twice. Sharks... well, they are solid during regular seasons.
What does Gretzky have to do with anything in the year 2014? Seriously, that has nothing to do with the rankings, and if it does...

BrianSmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 04:08 AM
SeattleShark

vCash: 820
Sharks Fan, about to be impartial as i can... Who knows? I have a lot of respect for the Ducks and Kings and we can understand each others plight more than other teams. It is tough to attract Free agents here for some reason (soon to change imo) and we have had to fight for every ounce of respect we have got. I truly believe any of these teams could beat the other in a playoff series. I am glad the sharks addressed their depth at forward but with boyle regressing and niemi not playing as expected i doubt they can win a cup this year. I do have hope for both to pick up their performances as boyle is a big game player and niemi is better than he has shown. If hertl comes back and is near what he was before the injury i'd feel better about our chances than ever before. I'm not going to pretend im an expert but i truly feel sharks have the best team in the league and if the they play up to their potential it'll take a hell of a performance to get em out, but there are teams capable of it. I just hope we can beat out the ducks to avoid the Kings in the first round

SeattleShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 07:08 AM
James Franco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Because how teams do this year isn't based on how they've done before.
might as well shut this down then

James Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 09:36 AM
Muelch

What's with this thread? Every other post is someone arguing that they're all equal. They can't all win. How do you guys handle picking out of 30 teams?

The Kings are winning. We dominated this league 2 years ago, and there's one team that has our number last year. Care to challenge that Anaheim and San Jose? I hope so cuz it's getting really boring hearing how equal everyone is. We'll see how right you are at the end of the year when some of those who made a real pick might actually be right while those who picked all 3 discover the horrible truth that you can't tie for the cup.

LA in 5 max over either one of you

Muelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:09 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
What's with this thread? Every other post is someone arguing that they're all equal. They can't all win. How do you guys handle picking out of 30 teams?

The Kings are winning. We dominated this league 2 years ago, and there's one team that has our number last year. Care to challenge that Anaheim and San Jose? I hope so cuz it's getting really boring hearing how equal everyone is. We'll see how right you are at the end of the year when some of those who made a real pick might actually be right while those who picked all 3 discover the horrible truth that you can't tie for the cup.

Who wants a rational discussion? Screw that. Let's trash talk and get this thread closed down! Kings need to worry about making the playoffs first before thumping their chest about how this team is supposedly built for the playoffs.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:

But...LA has taken at best 7 games to beat a CA team in the playoffs...

Mafoofoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:25 AM
Arthuros

vCash: 2112
Quote:

Funny that you're calling out the Ducks when you're 1-3-0 against them...

We all know that the playoffs are a different beast, but you really think the Ducks don't have your number?

Arthuros is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:27 AM

Sharks>Kings>Ducks

5255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:55 AM
Territory

Based on the games the Leafs played these teams, the Sharks we're the toughest and best looking team.

Small sample size, but I don't have anything else to go off of.

Territory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:03 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Anaheim's top defenseman is Fowler, and having Beauchemin and Robidas as our #2 and #3 is much better. It's also a pretty deep blue line, with Lindholm, Lovejoy, Allen, Vatanen, Sbisa, and Fistric. For all the talk about how unimpressive that blue line is, they've gotten it done all season. They may not lock down the opposition quite the same way that the Kings do, but the team has made up for it by scoring quite a bit more.

Also, saying there is no chance for Anaheim is asinine. Anaheim has been one of the top teams all season, and were stapled to the top of the league until a recent hiccup. They've shown themselves competitive against Los Angeles and San Jose both, including beating Los Angeles on the second night of back-to-back games without their top defenseman. We'll see how Anaheim does, but to say they have no chance is really quite silly.
exactly why you won't win

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:04 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Territory View Post
Based on the games the Leafs played these teams, the Sharks we're the toughest and best looking team.

Small sample size, but I don't have anything else to go off of.
At least you admit it instead of saying "Sharks looked good regular season...Kings for playoffs" lol

Old
03-18-2014, 11:20 AM
SharksFan1

vCash: 147
Quote:

The Kings dominated 4 teams during the post season. They hardly dominated the league that year when that came into the playoffs as the 8th seed.

SharksFan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:23 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

to the cocky kings fans, you do remember that every game last series was won by the home team? Sharks were the only team who almost won on the road in game 2. They can't lose at home, they won't lose at home. If the Sharks and Kings play, Sharks will win easy. They won't lose at home.

Old
03-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Brad Doty
Compliance Hero

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleShark View Post
Sharks Fan, about to be impartial as i can... Who knows? I have a lot of respect for the Ducks and Kings and we can understand each others plight more than other teams. It is tough to attract Free agents here for some reason (soon to change imo) and we have had to fight for every ounce of respect we have got. I truly believe any of these teams could beat the other in a playoff series. I am glad the sharks addressed their depth at forward but with boyle regressing and niemi not playing as expected i doubt they can win a cup this year. I do have hope for both to pick up their performances as boyle is a big game player and niemi is better than he has shown. If hertl comes back and is near what he was before the injury i'd feel better about our chances than ever before. I'm not going to pretend im an expert but i truly feel sharks have the best team in the league and if the they play up to their potential it'll take a hell of a performance to get em out, but there are teams capable of it. I just hope we can beat out the ducks to avoid the Kings in the first round
I don't know about the free agents. Sure all three teams can provide a good team, but there's the travel, proximity to friends/family, the fact that your division beats each other up all year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Who wants a rational discussion? Screw that. Let's trash talk and get this thread closed down! Kings need to worry about making the playoffs first before thumping their chest about how this team is supposedly built for the playoffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
to the cocky kings fans, you do remember that every game last series was won by the home team? Sharks were the only team who almost won on the road in game 2. They can't lose at home, they won't lose at home. If the Sharks and Kings play, Sharks will win easy. They won't lose at home.
To be fair, you're talking to like three dudes. I think most rational fans of all three teams in this thread realize the razor's edge margin of victory.

BTW, you have no idea how shocked I was we won the last game in SJ. I called it a bad omen

03-18-2014, 11:38 AM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post
The ducks slumping beat the avs(2nd in central, and the amazing kings on back to back nights). Either way kings fans will pick Kings sharks, shark fans will pick kings/sharks sharks kings. Ducks fans will pick Ducks/sharks shark/ducks kings. The kings and sharks have there lil buddy-buddy friendship thing.

Kduck: Boyle... torres and havlat(I think?)
Yah

Brown-Hertl

Lotta love here

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:54 AM
Ventana*
Depressed Canuck Fan

Kings, Ducks and Sharks, in order. Kings have the ability to step their game up and if they start scoring on a regular basis, they're unbeatable. The Ducks are absolutely stacked and would be above the Kings if they made a move at the deadline for another forward but they didn't, they subtracted. The Sharks I just don't believe in this year in the playoffs, but I could be wrong, they're great too.

Ventana* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 12:04 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnarkAttack View Post
I'm not going to rank the 3 teams, but as a Sharks fan I'm way more scared of facing the Kings than Anaheim.

Anaheim has objectively had amazing luck this year. Look at the 5 on 5 PDO numbers. They are a good team catching lots of breaks. Kings are a good team not catching breaks. PDO isn't foolproof, but a PDO of over 103 is indicative of some good fortune.
Don't fool yourself. Getzlaf, Perry et al are not "lucky" They are NHL elite, no doubt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getz2perry View Post

2 years of extremely good luck.... #1 prospect pool in the league, 1 of the top lines in hockey and they don't even have a real 3rd person to it. Didn't the sharks lose to the ducks in the first round as a 1 seed? well this just got awkward... all time the sharks are what 0-4 vs California teams in the playoffs? Least cups, least cup appearances... sure you guys make the playoffs but you don't do anything with it ill take 2 cup appearenecs in the last 10 years over no cup appearances. For a team that constantly gets a high playoff seed and doesn't do anything with it shark fans are certainly high and mighty.
Not even a little bit high and mighty. Zero, especially compared to a cup winning team. I hate to admit, but I'm actually starting like the Ducks...Ach, can't believe I said that. They are not nearly as annoying as the Kings (Brown).
Shark fans are sensitive, because every time one of these threads pop up on the main board, they get crapped on. we are not high and mighty, nothing to be high and mighty about! The only thing we have going is that the Sharks are a fun team to watch, even when they suck...

I know, since the OP was from Canada, lets rank the Canadian teams regular season vs playoffs...

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote