HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2004 Flyers

Old
03-15-2014, 10:37 PM
jgrossman

vCash: 500
2004 Flyers

My God. I was just watching Game 6 vs Tampa in 2004. My God did the Flyers come close to the Cup Finals. For all you Philly fans, what do you think Flyers management could have done differently to help the Flyers beat Tampa and possibly win the Cup in 2004?

jgrossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:42 PM
Hollywood Couturier
Eagles That Quack

Not have every defenseman known to man get hurt.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 10:57 PM
The Couturier Effect

I was kinda young at the time, but IIRC there were so many injuries that Sami Kapanen had to play defense. If they're healthy, they're in the finals.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:00 PM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
I was kinda young at the time, but IIRC there were so many injuries that Sami Kapanen had to play defense. If they're healthy, they're in the finals.
I think they easily beat the flames.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

2004 & 2000 were two really great opportunities for the Flyers to come away with a Cup despite not being in the finals but ultimately they fell short, 2000 was frustrating because they were up 3-1 in the series & choked to the Debbie's.

Who know's what would have happened with the 2004-2005 team the next year with Clarke going all in with Forsberg, Rathje, & Hatcher that summer?

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2014, 11:14 PM
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST

vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Forsberg View Post
I think they easily beat the flames.
I wouldn't say easily, Tampa had a tough time against the Flames.

But i guess with the Flames roster, they could have beaten them pretty easily. Not being sarcastic either

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:00 AM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
2000 and 2004 really launched me into Flyer fandom. Crushing, devastating playoff losses.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:06 AM
jgrossman

Also, they never should have traded Fedotenko. I understand they wanted to get Pitkanen, but Fedotenko was great in Philly. He was the reason the Senators didn't sweep in 2002.

Old
03-16-2014, 12:08 AM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Not only were there injuries but the depth was greatly depleted when the injuries did happen because GM Clarke decided to trade Weinrich and Therien during the season as a favor to them towards the end of their careers to move to teams where they could play and that would be a favorable team for them... Clarke was being nice, but he shot himself... and the Flyers... in the foot. Kapanin had to be moved to D, where he did better than an admirable job and stayed there over the AHL depth D-men... However moving him there also took away a trusty and key winger... The team fought as hard as they could and rode on the shoulders of their Captain Primeau who had a career Playoffs and willed them as far as they went... as the rest of the team reached back and gave it all they had... Roenick, Recchi, Gagne, Esche, etal greatly contributed... Ultimately the team was gassed, and after the Game Six miraculous late game Primeau heroics and Gagne OT winner the team had nothing left as they went back to Tampa and couldn't pull it off... no matter how much they gave, as they had nothing at that point to give.

That's the story as I recall... and I'm sticking to it.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:10 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrossman View Post
Also, they never should have traded Fedotenko. I understand they wanted to get Pitkanen, but Fedotenko was great in Philly. He was the reason the Senators didn't sweep in 2002.
Ah I always liked Rusty, he was a solid second/third line tweener but that's not one to harp on. If he was so good he wouldn't have bounced around as much as he did.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-16-2014 at 12:55 AM.
LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:51 AM
Larry44

I have always blamed Jeremy Roenick. Not sure which game it was (it's a long time ago), but he had the puck one foot from the Flyers' blueline unchallenged and, instead of just making a smart play and getting it out he turned to go back in the zone to wind up on a rush. He coughed up the puck and Modin took a slapper that broke Ragnarsson's wrist. With all the other injuries, that was basically it. Bye bye Lord Stanley. Rags had been playing stalwart D and got knocked out of the series because of one stupid, selfish play by JR.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 01:12 AM
Winston Wolf

I've always blamed the Weinrich trade. Therien wasn't a huge loss, but Weinrich could've still played a large role with so many injuries on the backend.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 01:21 AM
zarley zelepukin

Yeah, all our defensemen got hurt, and we traded away a couple guys as favors who would have been able to help in the end. Not only were some guys out because of injuries, but Kim Johnsson was playing with a broken hand.

And on the other hand, Tampa's road to that series was a comparative cakewalk. They got the first seed in the conference because they played in a crap division, and got to play the Isles who were the weakest of the 16 playoff teams imo. They got Montreal in the second round after they upset Boston (I believe MTL had been down 3 games to 1) and that was just a good matchup for them since the Habs were basically a finesse team like Tampa except not as good. Meanwhile we had to play the damn Maple Leafs who basically made it a mission to wear us down as much as possible. We just ran out of gas.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 01:22 AM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I have always blamed Jeremy Roenick. Not sure which game it was (it's a long time ago), but he had the puck one foot from the Flyers' blueline unchallenged and, instead of just making a smart play and getting it out he turned to go back in the zone to wind up on a rush. He coughed up the puck and Modin took a slapper that broke Ragnarsson's wrist. With all the other injuries, that was basically it. Bye bye Lord Stanley. Rags had been playing stalwart D and got knocked out of the series because of one stupid, selfish play by JR.
On the other hand, had Roenick not scored the OT Goal in Toronto in the up and down action -- that Kapanin allowed to keep going after being literally concussed and all but down and out but staggered to the bench where Primeau hooked him in with his stick -- There very well may not have been even a Conference Finals series for the Flyers to be in... Toronto was applying great pressure.

Roenick was certainly a good soldier who gave them much more chances to win than than he allowed chances to lose, IMO... But, yeah, that certainly didn't help matters.

Old
03-16-2014, 01:24 AM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
I've always blamed the Weinrich trade. Therien wasn't a huge loss, but Weinrich could've still played a large role with so many injuries on the backend.
Therien would have been a big veteran body who could have allowed Kappy to go back to wing.

Old
03-16-2014, 02:32 AM
Jtown

Losing Therien hurt.

However I blame Leclair for not making the cup that year. He was absolutely dog **** in the playoffs. Had he just played as well as he had during the regular season I think we could have won.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 09:46 AM
jgrossman

One thing I never understood about Booby C. was why ded he trade all those playes for draft picks. For example, I was shocked when he traded Cechmanek for only a 2nd round draft pick and Weinrich for 4th or 6th pick. I felt he could have gotten so much in return than what he got for them.

Old
03-16-2014, 11:45 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Ah Game 6 was a beauty. Watching my hockey idol score the OT goal, great memory.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:17 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty but Good View Post
Ah Game 6 was a beauty. Watching my hockey idol score the OT goal, great memory.
Same. My brother has a framed, signed picture of the goal celebration. So sick.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Sawdalite
SelectLouNolan4PFHoF

It didn't look like Gags would get a chance to win in in OT as the Bolts were in control of the clinching game very late... hope seemed all but gone... Our seats were in perfect location to see Primeau come down the Left and send a pass across the crease, dart behind the net and retrieve his own pass and score the Game knotter. The Captain was a beast the entire PostSeason and continued in that OT. IIRC Gagne was on Keith's line as they applied pressure and Gags got the clutch winner.

The Center was almost as loud as the Spectrum was back when the Flyers force Game Seven against the Oilers in '87... the Spectrum was just a louder place to begin with... That TB game reminded me of the Oiler one... they are two of the most memorable games I have seen in over Forty years of attending Flyers games.

Old
03-16-2014, 03:44 PM
RJ8812*

It's funny because Gagne had a wide open net and would have missed the net completely if it didnt go in off of the goalie

RJ8812* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:03 PM
jgrossman

Lol. Yeah, I know. And it makes me wonder what would have happened if BC never traded Fedotenko, Williams, or Weinrich. And he should have gotten more compensation for Cechmanek than just a 2nd round pick.

Old
03-16-2014, 07:38 PM
SaveHextall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post

Agreed

Moving Weinrich probably cost us the Cup.

SaveHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 09:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
2004 & 2000 were two really great opportunities for the Flyers to come away with a Cup despite not being in the finals but ultimately they fell short, 2000 was frustrating because they were up 3-1 in the series & choked to the Debbie's.

Who know's what would have happened with the 2004-2005 team the next year with Clarke going all in with Forsberg, Rathje, & Hatcher that summer?
should of waited until after the ECF to bring back Lindros.
nobody will change my mind about that.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:41 PM
jgrossman

should of waited until after the ECF to bring back Lindros.
nobody will change my mind about that.

Lindros shouldn't have come back at all. Even if the Flyers made the Cup Finals against the Stars, they would have been better without Lindros, who would have disrupted the chemistry.