HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Sabres shopping top pick?

Old
03-16-2014, 07:01 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Wasted opportunities

vCash: 500
If Buffalo Management isn't exploring ALL options, they're not doing their jobs. That said, I can't see a player any other franchise is willing to break the bank over either...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:03 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Calgary wont get the 3rd overall..
Shoulda checked the standings. I still think it actually could happen. Oilers just won today too

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:08 PM
Sparky93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
What do you think the plus would have to be though
I assume Buffalo wants a centre and a lock on one of Reinhart, Bennett or Dal Colle. If the Flames finish 5th, the cost would be too much, 4th...Baertschi would be the cost. It's a bold move to trade down from 1st to 4th but I think that's a price both GM's would be happy with. I wouldn't do it, personally, but that would be the cost.

Last edited by Sparky93; 03-16-2014 at 07:18 PM..
Sparky93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:16 PM
Havok89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Not close at all?
I don't see any scenario where Calgary moves their 2015 1st.

Havok89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 08:13 PM
Heretic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Because it allows teams such as Buffalo who will never have the ability to attract top tier FA's the chance to obtain their own top tier players... Is it really THAT hard to comprehend?
It's more complicated than that. We haven't had the ability to spend wildly like other teams until recently. The Leino contract was stupid and the Ehrhoff contract was a muscle flex. Losing out on the Brad Richards sweepstakes was more that he just really wanted to play for the Rangers. You can't blame anybody for wanting to play on an original six team. Minnesota got their guys because that's a hockey hotbed. Pegula is playing the longgame by building up youth hockey in the area, he's trying to make it so the next generations sees us as something akin to a poor man's Minnesota (lolz!?). Free agent signings like Parise and Sutter are increasingly more rare as contracts are relatively set and teams are locking up important core guys longer these days. All of these factors AND the fact that the sabres are just one of many teams that have "money to spend" on free agency, and you can see how even though Buffalo has an advantage over Nashville, they have a hill to climb.

A positive for Buffalo is the commitment to youth hockey development (the big rink center thing in front of the arena, and the tournaments it will bring) and proximity too. Once we're firing on all cylinders with our tournaments and stuff, it will almost make it easier because a lot of hockey players come out of Ontario and we're close by. I wouldn't be shocked if the Sabres were able to sign a big fish free agent in the future, but at the rate we're going, we might not need one considering all of the assets we're drafting and can trade for.

I think it's an exciting time to be a Sabres fan but a time that requires a long term vision and extreme patience.

Heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:01 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHudlinator View Post
Maybe Jankowski + Ferland or just Klimchuck?
For the islanders pick? Maybe... for 1or 2?? jtfc, gtfoh

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:21 AM
tmack224

The only trade the Sabres would do is to move down from 1 or 2 to 3 or 4 lol.

We wont miss a chance on getting Reinhart, Bennett or Dalcolle.

So if one of Edmonton, NYI, Calgary or Florida want Ekblad then maybe a small move will be made. But I cant see them moving the pick and falling out of the top 4 unless a serious overpayment happens and teams would be dumb to do that in this draft.

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:00 AM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havok89 View Post
Tim Murray will definitely listen to offers on the pick, but I don't even think two top prospects are equal to the elite potential of a top 2 pick. Sabres need elite offensive talent up front, trading the pick would be stupid.
The elite potential of the top 2? Ekblad, Reinhart and Bennett have been touted as the #1 pick. That's 3 players right there. Dal Colle has been right there with them until very recently. That's 4. Button has Draisatl before Dal Colle. CSB has Bennett and Draisatl before Reinhart and Ekblad. ISS has Draisatl 7th. McKeen's has Bennett 1st and Draisatl 4th. Why would anyone in the top 4 even consider trading unless for need. There's some who think Fleury could be every bit as good as Ekblad and he's rated from 7th to 12th in places. Some of these proposals seem more like trading to get Tavares or Stamkos than Reinhart/ Ekblad/ Bennett or whomever

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:36 AM
sd1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
I think that guys like Bergeron,Richards,Carter,Sharp,Seguin et all are franchise players because they can be the face of a franchise. I think Reinhart and Bennett will end up in that category. But they won't be in the Crosby,Tavares mold
One of these things doesn't belong.

Last edited by sd1976; 03-17-2014 at 09:52 AM..
sd1976 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:39 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Ekblad is a beast. With the rumours persisting that Myers is on the block, I'd be shocked if Ekblad wasn't their focus. Even if Myers is kept, with Myers, Zadorov, and Ekblad heading up a deep pool of defenders the Sabres would be well off with that group.

Have another weak year, aim for McDavid, and have him in the fold with Grigorenko and Girgensons. Bam said the lady.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:45 AM
busspac

Would Tampa consider moving Drouin? I think that could be something to base a deal on.

busspac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:59 AM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by busspac View Post
Would Tampa consider moving Drouin? I think that could be something to base a deal on.
Everyone is available at the right price, the 1st overall is not the price we'd trade him for though. Top pair young RD would be the only option. We would have interest in Ekblad as he could be a great partner with Hedman for many years. We can offer some sort of package but quality > quantity so doubt you'd go for it.

Player's like Kucherov/Connolly/Killorn/Namestnikov/Panik + our 1st this year or Rangers 1st this year, if we get it, or next years would be available but not sure what it would take.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:10 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
Everyone is available at the right price, the 1st overall is not the price we'd trade him for though. Top pair young RD would be the only option. We would have interest in Ekblad as he could be a great partner with Hedman for many years. We can offer some sort of package but quality > quantity so doubt you'd go for it.

Player's like Kucherov/Connolly/Killorn/Namestnikov/Panik + our 1st this year or Rangers 1st this year, if we get it, or next years would be available but not sure what it would take.
Bingo.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:11 AM
tmack224

Quote:

it would take more than a prospect and a later 1st in 14.

From Tampa, it would take both 2014 and 2015 1st plus multiple prospects if Drouin isnt there.

But then it wouldn't work. Buffalo wont take quantity over quality on this one.

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Djp

Quote:

Would you trade drouin for the pick? That is what it would cost. Buffalo wants 1st liners not 2nd/3rd liners...plenty of those in the system.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:05 AM
KAPOW
has no rispeck

cmon tim. we let you pick up conacher for free...you owe us!

KAPOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:07 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

I'd trade the pick as part of a package for a better player than is available this year. That's about it. If Reinhart and Grigorenko got us MacKinnon, e.g., we'd have a deal.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:09 AM
La Cosa Nostra
Caporegime

vCash: 720
Sabres are not trading their #1 or #2 pick period. This isn't a bad draft, Reinhart and Ekblad are franchise star prospects and THE SABRES AREN'T LIKE EDMONTON

If a team wants Ekblad and the Sabres do retain #1(Knowing Buffalos luck we will lose the lottery and finish #2) then the team wanting Ekblad MUST have the #2 or #3 pick and be prepared to add in a 1st rounder or a top prospect. We aren't walking away from the draft without Reinhart, Bennett or Ekblad (if another team wins the lottery and takes Reinhart #1, then I would prefer to take Ekblad at 2 and move Myers and draft 2 forwards in 2015 with ours and NYIs likely top 5 picks)

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:18 AM
ManofSteel55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Sabres are not trading their #1 or #2 pick period. This isn't a bad draft, Reinhart and Ekblad are franchise star prospects and THE SABRES AREN'T LIKE EDMONTON

If a team wants Ekblad and the Sabres do retain #1(Knowing Buffalos luck we will lose the lottery and finish #2) then the team wanting Ekblad MUST have the #2 or #3 pick and be prepared to add in a 1st rounder or a top prospect. We aren't walking away from the draft without Reinhart, Bennett or Ekblad (if another team wins the lottery and takes Reinhart #1, then I would prefer to take Ekblad at 2 and move Myers and draft 2 forwards in 2015 with ours and NYIs likely top 5 picks)
Not sure of what the Oilers have to do with this particular topic. It's not like they have traded their 1st overall picks or done anything other than take the best player available each year.

ManofSteel55 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:21 AM
ColdSteel2

Makes no sense for Buffalo to move this pick. They've waited a long time to pick at the top and should select a player to help build a core.

ColdSteel2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:50 AM
TMLFC
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Makes no sense for Buffalo to move this pick. They've waited a long time to pick at the top and should select a player to help build a core.
It does if they covet a winger and the team trading up covets the guy going 1or2 so much so that they include next years 1st and a trade down.

Ehilers or Drisaitl or Dal Colle + 3 chances at top pick in 2015(if isles elect to keep)

Im sure they atleast consider it.

TMLFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:31 PM
HoseEmDown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Would you trade drouin for the pick? That is what it would cost. Buffalo wants 1st liners not 2nd/3rd liners...plenty of those in the system.
As I said in my reply no I would not trade Drouin for the 1st overall. If he was in the draft this year he'd be the clear cut #1.

Kucherov has 1st line potential as does Connolly but they may not reach that especially Connolly. Killorn is a top line player for us but is more a 2nd line guy. Namestnikov is 2C potential, Panik is the only 2/3rd line tweener. They are quality prospects not junk but I understand if you don't want them for the 1st overall.

HoseEmDown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:39 PM
Zaddy Zads

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
No, its not legit. Buffalo has been stock-piling picks, and for what, so they could trade the best one?
Picks can be used for different things than just drafting you know. They haven't stockpiled picks to draft a lot of players and wait 2-5 years for them to be NHL quality. They are gonna ship them if they can get something back which could help them sooner.

Wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teams is interested in Ekblad and Sabres are pretty content with their D core so they can trade down. I don't think there's really that much difference between the 5 top forwards or so. Even the ones later in the draft should turn out to be good players. I can see them do it.

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:44 PM
Jim Bob
....Rebooting....

The Sabres are shopping their pick like they were shopping Myers & Ehrhoff.

They won't move the pick unless someone makes Murray an offer he can't refuse. And that is highly unlikely to happen.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:48 PM
THall4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenFully View Post
How are either of them prospects? That's two number 3 overalls for a top 2 pick, and Florida adds??????????? I think Buffalo would do more than "think long and hard" about that one...
This.

Buffalo would be even more incompetent than the Oilers management if they passed or even had to think about making that deal..

IMO, Huberdeau alone is better then any of Reinhard's, Ekblad's and Bennett's upside.

THall4 is offline   Reply With Quote