HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sabres shopping top pick?

Old
03-18-2014, 05:37 PM
CaptPantalones

vCash: 500
Tim Murray has been adamant since the deadline about trying to acquire guys already "in their development".

If a team offered 2 very good (or great) young players for the 1st, I'm sure he'll be interested.

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 05:43 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Who cares..2015 overall 1st is way better.
And this adds to the discussion how...?

ZeroPT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 05:46 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrChill View Post
Van 1st
Markstrom - goalie for rebuild to backup enroth.
Corrado - young Dman ready to walk in and play in NHL.

For
1st overall. In a week draft.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y. Orangeman View Post
Enroth
STL #1
Ruhwedel

for

Horvat
I don't ever comment on suggested trades, but before Murray hangs up the phone he'd suggest you stop wasting his time.

Think someone like drouin. Not some nhl D that the sabres will have a plethora of in one year plus a backup when the sabres have plenty of goalie prospects as well.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 06:32 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Van 1st

For

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 06:33 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
in a week draft

Old
03-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Van 1st

For
Has anyone quoted this post? Magic lies within.

Tim Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 07:33 PM
MonahanFan

What do Sabre fans think of Johnny Gaudreau? Could he and someone like Baertschi, and a pick entice the Sabres?

MonahanFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 07:35 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonahanFan View Post
What do Sabre fans think of Johnny Gaudreau? Could he and someone like Baertschi, and a pick entice the Sabres?
No way.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Quite frankly the Sabres need as close to a franchise player out of this pick as they can get. Be it by using the pick at the draft or trading it.

I love Gaudreau, but it's not what they need out of this pick IMO. The value isn't there either.

Old
03-18-2014, 07:37 PM
MonahanFan

Just curious he is currently breaking all records in the ECHL. I think he is about to beat Paul Karyia's record of consecutive games with points. HE actually has only been held off scoresheet once all year in 38 games.

Old
03-18-2014, 07:38 PM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

Quote:
Just curious he is currently breaking all records in the ECHL. I think he is about to beat Paul Karyia's record of consecutive games with points. HE actually has only been held off scoresheet once all year in 38 games.
Nice player, should be a good one. Not what we need from this pick though.

Old
03-18-2014, 07:39 PM
MonahanFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Murray View Post
Quite frankly the Sabres need as close to a franchise player out of this pick as they can get. Be it by using the pick at the draft or trading it.

I love Gaudreau, but it's not what they need out of this pick IMO. The value isn't there either.
Fair enough, just thinking of 2 prospects that could be top 6 players on any team in a couple years. Gaudreau could end up being a crazy talent anyways, not sure if we should even try trading him.

Old
03-18-2014, 08:47 PM
MLoza92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Tim Murray has been adamant since the deadline about trying to acquire guys already "in their development".

If a team offered 2 very good (or great) young players for the 1st, I'm sure he'll be interested.
I'm pretty sure he meant that he'd prefer players already "in their development" in return for our savvy vets at the deadline, not in return for our franchise altering top 3 pick.

MLoza92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 08:55 PM
terrynb24

Just because it's a weak draft does not mean the top of the draft is weak. It just means there isn't as much depth in talent in later picks. Reinhart, Bennett, and Ekblad are all franchise players.

terrynb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:36 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post

Pretty sure that was prospects already in their development as opposed to picks. The only picks he's dealt are LA's 2 2nds back to them, which he quickly recovered (and probably improved) in the Moulson trade.

Old
03-18-2014, 10:59 PM
SabresBills2012

i only see the Sabres doing this with the Islanders pick and it's in the the top 5, otherwise i see them keeping and drafting the best froward available.

The other thought or hope is that that we get the First over all an the Oliers get the third pick and they're hot to get a D so we trade them the 1st for there third and 2015 1st. I'm holding out hope that the mess on the island gets worse and they Islanders finish 2nd and they keep the pick for this year.

Could you imagine the fit that Mr. Bettman would have if the Sabres ended up with picks 1,2 3 in the 2015 draft? Even better would be if the Islanders and the Oilers finished 1 and 2 , and the Sabres with their UFA spending (Ott, Callahan, Moulson) just make the playoffs.

LETS Say Hello to Mr.McDavid and Mr. Eichel.

SabresBills2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 11:05 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBills2012 View Post
i only see the Sabres doing this with the Islanders pick and it's in the the top 5, otherwise i see them keeping and drafting the best froward available.

The other thought or hope is that that we get the First over all an the Oliers get the third pick and they're hot to get a D so we trade them the 1st for there third and 2015 1st. I'm holding out hope that the mess on the island gets worse and they Islanders finish 2nd and they keep the pick for this year.

Could you imagine the fit that Mr. Bettman would have if the Sabres ended up with picks 1,2 3 in the 2015 draft? Even better would be if the Islanders and the Oilers finished 1 and 2 , and the Sabres with their UFA spending (Ott, Callahan, Moulson) just make the playoffs.

LETS Say Hello to Mr.McDavid and Mr. Eichel.
Pump the brakes bud. As much as I'd love for that to happen there's a better chance of me ****ing Mila Kunis than all of this happening. In other words,it won't happen.

Old
03-19-2014, 08:39 AM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

IMHO, the only way we ship out the #1 pick is if Calgary and Edmonton decided to have a **** swinging contest over Ekblad. Then we'll be talking fair return for Buffalo.

TakeThatTootoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Girgenburger

Don't feel like looking back through, but someone mentioned that they'll be irked if Buffalo doesn't use the pick after creating the whole rebuild culture and getting fans to buy into the idea. To some extent I agree. The 'tank' plan looks questionable if you're not going to use the 1st or 2nd overall pick to draft a franchise player.

With that being said, there are no generational talents in this draft. Tim Murray is going to operate in the Sabres' best interest. If that means shipping out the pick, so be it. Murray will have to decide whether two blue chip prospects (+?) is worth not getting one of the Sams.

For me, it would have to be two prospects that would be considered sure shots to be successful NHLers, rather than two William Carrier-esque prospects (meaning raw skills, uncertainty of ceiling, etc). We've got to be overly confident in the pieces we're receiving. I guess the disclaimer for my previous statement would be that no prospect is a sure shot. But with the advancement in ability to scout these days, it becomes a lot more clear whether a player is going to have success or not.

Last edited by Girgenburger: 03-19-2014 at 11:48 AM.
Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:40 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
Actually, it makes a lot of sense. Buffalo has lots of prospects and picks. It is very short on actual NHL talent. People look at the Pittsburgh model of getting 2 top 2 picks and winning a Cup. But there is no Crosby or Malkin in this draft. Instead you are looking at a RNH or Hall kind of pick. What has that done for Edmonton?

I'm not saying Buffalo will deal the pick, but that it makes total sense to explore options of adding an actual high quality proven NHL player. Stockpiling picks and prospects is nice, but without actual NHL talent around them you end up like EDM or NYI who have had boatloads of picks and prospects but haven't become contenders.
Sure you can be right about Crosby and Malkin, but I'm looking at a different Rebuilt team and their makeup:

Chicago:
2 High Quality Core pieces: Kane & Toews
Quantity and Quality of Middle 6 Forwards Talent(2nd Line and 3rd Line)
Defensive Core: (Keith, Seabrook, Leddy)
Free Agents to round out Missing Pieces
Quality GM who had history of being an assistant GM.

Buffalo:
2 High Quality Core Pieces: Reinhart & McDavid/Eichel
Quantity & Quality of Middle 6 Forwards Talent(2nd Line and 3rd Line guys)
Defensive Core: (Myers, Risto, Zadorov, McCabe, Pysyk)
Free Agents to round out Missing Pieces (TBD)
Quality GM who had history of being an assistant GM

It worked out pretty well for Chicago.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 03:19 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Sure you can be right about Crosby and Malkin, but I'm looking at a different Rebuilt team and their makeup:

Chicago:
2 High Quality Core pieces: Kane & Toews
Quantity and Quality of Middle 6 Forwards Talent(2nd Line and 3rd Line)
Defensive Core: (Keith, Seabrook, Leddy)
Free Agents to round out Missing Pieces
Quality GM who had history of being an assistant GM.

Buffalo:
2 High Quality Core Pieces: Reinhart & McDavid/Eichel
Quantity & Quality of Middle 6 Forwards Talent(2nd Line and 3rd Line guys)
Defensive Core: (Myers, Risto, Zadorov, McCabe, Pysyk)
Free Agents to round out Missing Pieces (TBD)
Quality GM who had history of being an assistant GM

It worked out pretty well for Chicago.
I think it's a bit early to pencil in SR,CM and JE but I get where you're coming from. Don't forget our 2 aces up our sleeves.. Mikhail Girgorenko and the NYI 1st. Grigs can either completely bust or become a dominat #1C and the Isles pick could potentially be in the top 5 either this or next year or a middle of the pack pick.

Old
03-19-2014, 05:47 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Legitimate or not, I think this is really fun to talk about. Sabres are a shoe in for a top 2 pick. He says they would ask for two top prospects +. What would it take to get Buffalo to trade that pick?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=58726
Yakupov straight up , no adds . Yakupov upside is higher then any one in this draft , but we have too much of the same .
With these picks we draft our 2 C and D of the future keep Sam and use him as a right winger or trade him to LA to Get some cap space/grit only if we need it to make a big splash in FA

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 06:06 PM
ZeroPT
Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Yakupov straight up , no adds . Yakupov upside is higher then any one in this draft , but we have too much of the same .
With these picks we draft our 2 C and D of the future keep Sam and use him as a right winger or trade him to LA to Get some cap space/grit only if we need it to make a big splash in FA
I wouldn't touch that deal.

Old
03-19-2014, 06:23 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
I wouldn't touch that deal.
Ditto. I'd rather have Reinhart.