HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dan Bylsma: Worst coach in the NHL?

Old
03-16-2014, 02:35 PM
DrDangles

vCash: 500
Aside from playing Glass with Sid, and aside from playing Engelland on the PP, my favorite part about the game was how he continually matched Sid up with Couturier.

"It's failed all game, better keep trying even though I have last change and can easily avoid it"

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:37 PM
jrolley325

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
Is Glass a 1st-Line caliber player? Is Adams a 2nd-Line caliber player?
it was pyatt that was on the 2nd line.

honestly, i'd rather be a 1-2 line team than try to "spread out" talent that ultimately holds down your 2 best players because glass should be no higher than the 4th line and pyatt shouldn't even be in hockey.

jrolley325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:37 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDangles View Post
Aside from playing Glass with Sid, and aside from playing Engelland on the PP, my favorite part about the game was how he continually matched Sid up with Couturier.

"It's failed all game, better keep trying even though I have last change and can easily avoid it"
You know it's bad when Edzo is the voice of reason. He was specifically saying how he'd hold Sid back a shift to get out of that matchup.

Also Bylsma is driving us to agree with Milbury. That is some serious ****.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:38 PM
fly4apuckguy
Mr. Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDangles View Post

He has never been a guy who adjusts during the game, but it was glaring today. I feel like Sid had one of the worst games of his career. Probably just wanted to get out of the game uninjured and hope that someone heals for the next one.

fly4apuckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolley325 View Post
it was pyatt that was on the 2nd line.

honestly, i'd rather be a 1-2 line team than try to "spread out" talent that ultimately holds down your 2 best players because glass should be no higher than the 4th line and pyatt shouldn't even be in hockey.
Adams got some shifts with Geno.

Don't forget that Pyatt was on the 2nd PP so he couldn't be continuously tied to Geno's hip.

Old
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

Quote:
- Plays an incredibly passive game including PK that allows Simmonds to literally set up wide open in front of Fleury / Zatkoff
To be fair, if you play more aggressively on the PK against that unit, that means you're giving Hartnell and Voracek more room like you did yesterday.

It's a double edged sword; either you play passive and tight, allowing that down low pass to Simmonds, or you play more aggressively and let Hartnell get shots off in the slot. It's tough to defend against, and I wouldn't blame Bylsma on this.

Random Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
tony d
Kyle Turris

Bylsma's not that bad a coach but I think if the Pens go out early in the playoffs this year he's as good as gone as coach.

03-16-2014, 02:40 PM
Saintpatrick*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricenyuk View Post
Nowhere near worse than Therrien.
Came to this thread to post the same thing. Bylsma is freaking Toe Blake compared to Therrien.

Saintpatrick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:45 PM
DrDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Bylsma's not that bad a coach but I think if the Pens go out early in the playoffs this year he's as good as gone as coach.
Nah, he'll have injuries to blame and get to finish out his two year contract assuming we're still pretty decimated by playoff time.

DrDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:48 PM
Frederick Stanley
MSF

He would be a good coach for teams like the Predators.

Frederick Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:53 PM
nhldiedinthe90s*
who farted lol

Quote:
You know it's bad when Edzo is the voice of reason. He was specifically saying how he'd hold Sid back a shift to get out of that matchup.

Also Bylsma is driving us to agree with Milbury. That is some serious ****.
Really?

I think Edzo is the smartest analyst working. He notices more subtle but meaningful nuances throughout the game than any broadcaster I've ever listened to.

Bylsma stock is falling but he's still a better than average NHL coach IMO. Not that this is a bold statement; we prop coaches up as intellectuals but most of these guys are former players that "know a guy" and fall into it over time.

Any time you have a sport like hockey which not a lot of people play due to $$$, it's going to be incestuous. This causes a lot of guys who are exceptionally stupid people to be employed in high dollar, high power positions throughout the league. Coaching, GM, etc.

It's an inevitability in our sport.

nhldiedinthe90s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:56 PM
foundhockey

I love this thread title.

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:58 PM
stavs*

Bylsma reputation is a product of Crosby/Malkin, take those 2 away and I think he would get alot more bad publicity

stavs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:58 PM
Dragon Priest
Elvenlegions

I'm as big a Pens fan as the next guy and will support that team and logo to the death, but I DO NOT support their belief in Bylsma. AT ALL. Enough is enough already. Being a fan of the team, I'm VERY tired of being embarrassed by his incompetence and how the team is eliminated or beaten ESPECIALLY in the playoffs. This goes for team USA too. Everytime the team I root for is eliminated, its in embarrasing fashion and that same man is behind the bench. This isn't just a couple of bad games with people jumping off bridges. This type of thing with him has gone on now 3-4 years and has cost the organization and if they don't act soon, could waste the primes of their core players. He, IMO, is among the top 10 worst head coaches in the NHL to answer your question OP.

Dragon Priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:59 PM
AJRAYMOND

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipops View Post
He pretty much ended any chance of Malkin being a top player ever. Under Therrian, Malkin was a decent 2 way player, who had responsibility for his actions

...Under Bysmal, Malkin is a trainwreck defensively, constantly floats and rarely gives effort. Malkin is no longer held accountable for his actions.

Bysmal is not strict at all on his players. Give the puck away, take a dumb penalty? It's ok.

Malkin's development has been stunted because there's no expectations placed on him. It's all placed on Crosby, Malkin just needs to make the other team sweat. It's aggravating.

brb tough loss, let's skip practise today... WTF!

Fluery has been carrying this team through injuries for years, yet it's bysmal that always gets the credit. But of course, Fluery sucks so there's no way he did anything to help a team that's gone years with Crosby,Malkin,Staal and their defense out

Ah what game are you watching? Malkin was all over the ice today back checking and breaking up plays. Crosby is a bigger floater than Malkin. Anybody going to give Chris Kunitz any credit yet? That's right, it's all Crosby! Letang, Martin Neal Dupuis and Kunitz are just scrubs- they shouldn't be missed.

AJRAYMOND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 02:59 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurghThang View Post
YAY!!!...let's overreact to a team dropping a home and home with an actual all star team on IR!! (Neal/Kunitz/Dupuis/Letang/Martin/Vokoun)...we could throw in Bennett for good measure I guess....
400 man games lost to mainly high caliber pieces...the team will still top 110 points this year...but yeah...coaching is horrible.
The last few seasons, haven't AHL players been coming up and thriving under Byslma? Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and others have been fighting injuries for years now and the Pens typically don't miss a beat.

Why is it different/an excuse now?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:01 PM
nhldiedinthe90s*
who farted lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
The last few seasons, haven't AHL players been coming up and thriving under Byslma? Crosby, Malkin, Letang, and others have been fighting injuries for years now and the Pens typically don't miss a beat.

Why is it different/an excuse now?
Excuse for what? He has the second best record in the eastern conference.

Old
03-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Frederick Stanley
MSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldiedinthe90s View Post
Excuse for what? He has the second best record in the eastern conference.
So what? Regular season doesn't matter.

Old
03-16-2014, 03:04 PM
nhldiedinthe90s*
who farted lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick Stanley View Post
So what? Regular season doesn't matter.
Understood but at least wait to bounce out before you guys kill him.

He might win a cup this year for god sakes. Then what?

Old
03-16-2014, 03:06 PM
Frederick Stanley
MSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldiedinthe90s View Post
Understood but at least wait to bounce out before you guys kill him.

He might win a cup this year for god sakes. Then what?
Then he can do whatever the **** he wants to for the next couple of years.

Let's say Pens lose in the second round. There is only one choice for management to make and I have no faith in Shero/Ownership anymore to make that decision.

Old
03-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by stavs View Post
Bylsma ... is a product of Crosby/Malkin
Thread title: "Is Bylsma a top 6 talent"?

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:12 PM
Never
Completely digital

Quote:
Top 5 worst coach easy

- Plays Engelland and Pyatt on the PP. Engelland falls over and Flyers score another shorty
- Gets outsmarted by CRAIG BERUBE and willingly lets Couterier matchup against Crosby
- Plays 4 different left wingers with Sid today. Starts with Glass and continuously goes back to him throughout the game
- Plays an incredibly passive game including PK that allows Simmonds to literally set up wide open in front of Fleury / Zatkoff
- "We don't want to be a skilled team, we want to be a grinding team"
This is what Therrien thinks the Habs are, which is downright laughable.

Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:14 PM
MtlPenFan

I don't know why this was started here. Fans of other teams don't watch our team enough to comment, and vice versa.

However, today was the single worse coaching performance I have ever witnessed. Some tangible, obvious mistakes today that were so bad, it seemed to be on purpose.

At least some of the uninitiated got a good glimpse of how bad he is at the Olympics. When Bylsma loses, it's in spectacular, jumbo jet full of fuel and fireworks fashion.

MtlPenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:15 PM
Satan
a e s t h e t i c

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
#fastestto200

Likely #fastestto300 too.
Hashtags don't work on HFBoards

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 03:17 PM
nhindian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtlPenFan View Post
I don't know why this was started here. Fans of other teams don't watch our team enough to comment, and vice versa.

However, today was the single worse coaching performance I have ever witnessed. Some tangible, obvious mistakes today that were so bad, it seemed to be on purpose.

At least some of the uninitiated got a good glimpse of how bad he is at the Olympics. When Bylsma loses, it's in spectacular, jumbo jet full of fuel and fireworks fashion.
Figured the sentiment would've been spread after the Olympics.