HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Dan Bylsma: Worst coach in the NHL?

Old
03-16-2014, 06:03 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhldiedinthe90s View Post
Understood but at least wait to bounce out before you guys kill him.

He might win a cup this year for god sakes. Then what?
This is the problem though.

We can see the problems in front of us and we can see how we're going to get played in the play-offs and what our chances our yet our coach has yet to fixed them after 67 games in an 82 game season.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:07 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

vCash: 500
People are over reacting a bit. Bylsma hasn't been perfect but Shero was the one to invest so much money, draft picks, and development on defense & then leave the forwards group so pathetic that 3 injuries and Tanner Glass is a 1st line winger.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
People are over reacting a bit. Bylsma hasn't been perfect but Shero was the one to invest so much money, draft picks, and development on defense & then leave the forwards group so pathetic that 3 injuries and Tanner Glass is a 1st line winger.
Bylsma and Shero are about as culpable as each other in my opinion at this point.

Shero has failed to build a team around Crosby and Malkin that can compete

Bylsma has failed to coach a team led by Crosby and Malkin that can compete.

Old
03-16-2014, 06:18 PM
TheGoldenJet

Quote:
Nah there was no need to pair Sid with tanner Glass, there are better forwards available to the Pens. Not by much, I grant you, but the point stands.

TheGoldenJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:24 PM
jrolley325

vCash: 498
pens should have two GM's. keep shero just for trades only and hire another that actually knows how to draft and develop forwards and sign decent free agents.

jrolley325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolley325 View Post
pens should have two GM's. keep shero just for trades only and hire another that actually knows how to draft and develop forwards and sign decent free agents.
Shero hasn't exactly coveted himself in trades either aside from a few.

Old
03-16-2014, 06:31 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Bylsma and Shero are about as culpable as each other in my opinion at this point.

Shero has failed to build a team around Crosby and Malkin that can compete

Bylsma has failed to coach a team led by Crosby and Malkin that can compete.
If you ask me Crosby and Malkin are probably trying to get him fired and are therefore horrible, uncoachable players as per HF standards.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
If you ask me Crosby and Malkin are probably trying to get him fired and are therefore horrible, uncoachable players as per HF standards.
I'm yet to see anything that says Crosby and Malkin are "mailing it in".

If they are then they're wasting their time.

Old
03-16-2014, 06:39 PM
jrolley325

if anything, this recent stretch busts the popular HF myth that "well an inflatable doll could put up 70 points a year with crosby."

Old
03-16-2014, 06:42 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

he is awful. i know some of it is on shero for continually missing out on finding wingers for crosby and malkin (outside of kunitz and neal), but that is not for lack of trying. bylsma is one of the worst coaches in the league when it comes to making adjustments mid-game. the playoffs are when you need to be sharpest as a coach and he's shown over the last few postseasons (and this year's olympics) that he cannot successfully adjust when the matchups are against him. megna was probably the best penguin forward on the ice today and he was rewarded by getting to watch tanner glass play with crosby and craig adams play with malkin.

the injuries aren't working in his favor but for how many years will mario and shero let bylsma slide?

i love watching the patented bylsma trainwreck against the flyers but even as a flyers fan it's getting old

edit: reread this and it sounds kinda snarky but i legitimately feel bad for pens fans. it could be worse but as long as they stick with bylsma it could be better.

Last edited by PhillyFlying: 03-16-2014 at 07:01 PM.
PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Mischa

Quote:
Shero hasn't exactly coveted himself in trades either aside from a few.
i liked last years trades quite a bit. if anything Shero did wrong about them was expect Bylsma to use them correctly. morrow was excellent with dupuis/jokinen till he got hurt. murray doesn't quite fit in with the team but he was exactly what they lacked and iginla produced despite playing on the wrong wing and looking lost a decent bit of the time. and i shouldn't have to say anything about jokinen.

Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Fordy
the kid signify

bylsma is ****ing trash

since 2009 he has done nothing but **** on my hopes and dreams. nowadays i barely want to watch the games. you never know what he's going to **** up next. it's mindboggling

i think he's completely lost any supporters he used to have on the pens board. you look at the lineup and think "well he can't possibly **** it up any worse than he already has", then in a week it's even worse.

even nbc is calling megna the best player on the ice for the pens. he got 10 minutes of ice time today. glass and adams CONTINUE to climb up the lineup. you think he can't give them even more time but he does, every game he proves you wrong.

the formula for malkin's line is so simple. a puck hound, geno, and a shooter. we have geno and neal. in the last four years, i can count on one hand the number of games he's put the right type of player on the other wing.

he benches players like despres and megna and bennett for the SLIGHTEST mis-step, and rewards guys like orpik and engelland for garbage play. orpik could stand stationary behind the net, get scored on, and take an awful penalty on the same shift and he'll be right back out there. he benched despres today (our best corsi defensemen yesterday) because he took "a bad penalty" in the first three minutes of yesterday's game.

he was giving deryk engelland over 20 minutes a night as recently as two months ago.

when dupuis was healthy, he consistently averaged more ice time a game than evgeni ****ing malkin.

it's unbelievable.

Last edited by Fordy: 03-16-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:54 PM
Lustaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrolley325 View Post
Soooo an assistant GM?

Lustaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Milan90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post

...Bylsma can't hold that distinction while ^THIS^ moron still works as a head coach...

Maybe if your fanbase didn't illogically demand a Francophone coach for idiotic reasons, you would have more than 6 candidates to choose from.

Milan90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:57 PM
SidGenoMario

Milan90 makes me smile. Francophones reap what they sow.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Tripod

I like how his big coaching move was to put Malkin and Sid together. Lol. Then he got ripped by the analysts because it allowed the Couturier line to shut them both down and gave Giroux easier matchups.

The Pens are still good but IMO, losing Staal has really affected Pitt. Having that 3rd C that could come at you offensively AND shut down top gets defensively has really affected Pitt.

I will say though, Couturier REALLY can get under the Pens stars skin. He was a beast this weekend and deserves props. He is doing for Philly what Staal was doing for Pitt.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 06:58 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischa View Post
i liked last years trades quite a bit. if anything Shero did wrong about them was expect Bylsma to use them correctly. morrow was excellent with dupuis/jokinen till he got hurt. murray doesn't quite fit in with the team but he was exactly what they lacked and iginla produced despite playing on the wrong wing and looking lost a decent bit of the time. and i shouldn't have to say anything about jokinen.
We overpaid for Morrow and overpaid for Murray. They were bad deals then and they're still bad deals now.

The Jokinen deal has been great though.

Old
03-16-2014, 07:02 PM
Randy Butternubs
| ( ◡)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ)

vCash: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyFlying View Post
he is awful. i know some of it is on shero for continually missing out on finding wingers for crosby and malkin (outside of kunitz and neal), but that is not for lack of trying. bylsma is one of the worst coaches in the league when it comes to making adjustments mid-game. the playoffs are when you need to be sharpest as a coach and he's shown over the last few postseasons (and this year's olympics) that he cannot successfully adjust when the matchups are against him. megna was probably the best penguin forward on the ice today and he was rewarded by getting to watch tanner glass play with crosby and craig adams play with malkin.
Wow. What that guy said. I'm glad Pens fans aren't the only ones that see the problems.

Randy Butternubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:28 PM
Mischa

Quote:
We overpaid for Morrow and overpaid for Murray. They were bad deals then and they're still bad deals now.

we overpaid sure but they easily could have been worth it if they were put in a place to succeed. and then they might have even re-signed and continued to do well. they were certainly expensive but it covered every problem there was with the roster.

I have no problem with any of those trades.

Mischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:39 PM
skroonk2002*

Last year should have been Bylsma's last year as coach of the Penguins.

The Penguins trade for Jarome Iginla, the sniping winger that Crosby has been looking for his entire career. And then Bylsma proceeds to play Iginla at LW on Malkin's line and on the 3rd-line beside Sutter and Cooke. He plays Iginla everywhere in the lineup except for at RW next to Crosby.

He does this even when the Penguins are getting completely shut-down by the Bruins. He fails to make any in-series adjustments.

He also fails to keep Crosby away from Bergeron and Chara, even during the games when the Penguins had last line-change.

skroonk2002* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

The worrying thing about this all is that Bylsma admitted during the game that "We're not a skill team, we're a grinding team" Or something to that effect.

Basically proof that he prefers players like Adams etc.

Old
03-16-2014, 08:06 PM
Weakside Lock
Trade Malkin???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigglysquishy View Post
Ever since Colorado fired Sacco he's had that distinction.

He looked back against the Flyers in the 2012 playoffs, against the Islanders and Bruins last year, and will against this year against the first round matchup.

He also looked horrible in the bronze medal game.

I don't think he actually understands how to coach.
Today, Pierre asked him whether the Pens were a grinding team or a skilled team. It took him a good while to put together a good answer.

- He favours vets (Orpik, anyone?).
- No accountability for full-time players. Rookies, however, are benched for questionable reasons.
- He puts together absurd line combinations.
- His system sucks.
- He refuses to make in-game adjustments. Heck, it takes a fair amount of games to correct things that need to be fixed.
- He still shows an inability to use the timeout in an appropriate fashion.

He is one of the worst coaches in the NHL, if not worst.

03-16-2014, 08:08 PM
syc

Quote:
Agreed if Bylsma the worst then Shero should be moved from most overrated to worst GM.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 08:09 PM
syc

Quote:

Throw enough turds on the wall eventually one of them will stick.

syc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 08:11 PM
jrolley325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Holt View Post
Today, Pierre asked him whether the Pens were a grinding team or a skilled team. It took him a good while to put together a good answer.

- He favours vets (Orpik, anyone?).
- No accountability for full-time players. Rookies, however, are benched for questionable reasons.
- He puts together absurd line combinations.
- His system sucks.
- He refuses to make in-game adjustments. Heck, it takes a fair amount of games to correct things that need to be fixed.
- He still shows an inability to use the timeout in an appropriate fashion.

He is one of the worst coaches in the NHL, if not worst.
he gets it from mike tomlin.

but seriously, this irks me a ton. they could have a 2 or 3 goal lead, start to play like crap, and he never bothers to use his timeout until the game is already tied. either that, or he'll blow it at the very first extended shift icing call.