HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

MD: Help on a Future Season Project

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-14-2005, 10:34 AM
  #1
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,384
vCash: 500
MD: Help on a Future Season Project

Hey Guys,

Need a little help on a project that I'm working on for next season.

I have a character that is half-Japanese, half-Caucasian. He supposed to be pretty tall and lanky, in his mid-twenties, American raised.

The person that comes to mind is John Cho, however, he's Korean. The movie will take place in Japan, so I figure, casting against ethnic background would stand out more.

The race of the character plays an important role into how he interacts with people, so I'm trying to find the right person for it.

So, does anyone have any suggestions, or should I go for John Cho. Any help is appreciated.

discostu is offline  
Old
08-14-2005, 01:15 PM
  #2
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Actually, I have nobody, but I figured I'd steal this one.

I'm doing another Batman project next season (TV this time) and need ideas for a TV level actor to play Batman/Wayne and a myriad of otehr actors for further characters (Alfred, Gordon, Dent/Two-Face, and a bunch of other small part roles).

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
08-14-2005, 01:26 PM
  #3
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master of Puppets
Actually, I have nobody, but I figured I'd steal this one.

I'm doing another Batman project next season (TV this time) and need ideas for a TV level actor to play Batman/Wayne and a myriad of otehr actors for further characters (Alfred, Gordon, Dent/Two-Face, and a bunch of other small part roles).
What type of spin are you planning on putting on it? Campy comedy like the original? Dramatic, action oriented? The beauty of the franchise is that you can go in a lot of different directions, and the actors you choose is what will define it.

discostu is offline  
Old
08-14-2005, 03:49 PM
  #4
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
What type of spin are you planning on putting on it? Campy comedy like the original? Dramatic, action oriented? The beauty of the franchise is that you can go in a lot of different directions, and the actors you choose is what will define it.
Well, think Sin City. Its going to be called Batman: Comic Tales or something of the sort and will be a frame for frame adaptation of 3 or 4 of the most famous Batman comics. I'm hoping to sign on Sady Collora as a designer for the project. Character's looks and even actions will change (such as the Joker) so I need someone at least a bit versatile for each role. SO far I'm sitting on Batman: Year One for the first four episodes, The Long Halloween for episodes 5-17 and The Killing Joke as a one-hour season finale.

All of them focus on drama though each does obviously have some action scenes to it.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
08-14-2005, 06:20 PM
  #5
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,384
vCash: 500
Someone that may be of use is David Cubitt. Probably best known for his role in Traders (Canadian TV drama), he left early in that series to try to make a better go of it in Hollywood. I think he may make a pretty good Harvey Dent in that type of film/Two-Face. He's an experienced TV actor, and would fit the role pretty well. He's a guy I've kept in the back of my mind if I had a good role come up for him.

For the Batman, I can see James Badge Dale, probably best known for his role in the third season of 24 as Jack's partner. He acted pretty well in his role. It gives him that TV experience that you need, especially in an action-oriented series.

Hope those suggestions help.

discostu is offline  
Old
08-14-2005, 08:15 PM
  #6
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Someone that may be of use is David Cubitt. Probably best known for his role in Traders (Canadian TV drama), he left early in that series to try to make a better go of it in Hollywood. I think he may make a pretty good Harvey Dent in that type of film/Two-Face. He's an experienced TV actor, and would fit the role pretty well. He's a guy I've kept in the back of my mind if I had a good role come up for him.

For the Batman, I can see James Badge Dale, probably best known for his role in the third season of 24 as Jack's partner. He acted pretty well in his role. It gives him that TV experience that you need, especially in an action-oriented series.

Hope those suggestions help.
Great help, I was thinking my Wayne/Batman would looking a bit older, but make up does wonders and Collora's a pro.

However, this is going to be a hell of a series to bulk out the cast of, after Dent and Wayne I'll need...

Alfred (thin, middle-aged brit)
Gordon (Average build, middle aged)
The Joker (Might go with Chris Eccleston on this one, he looks the part to a T and has an extensive acting background)
Selina Kyle/Catwoman (Jolene Blalock?)
Carmine (The Roman) Falcone (Tall, medium build, Italian, middle aged)
Salvator Maroni (Middle Aged, medium built, Italian)
Gilda Dent (attractive, 30-40)
Barbara Gordon Sr. (Middle aged, thin, attractive)

And a bunch of cameo (1-3 episodes) appearances...

Johnny Vitti (20-30, fat, Italian)
Sofia Gigante (30ish, tall, square faced, Italian)
Carla Vitti (Middle aged, overweight, short, Italian)
Calendar Man (30+, average built, Hannibal Lecterish)
Alberto Falcone (20-25, tall, thin, Italian)
Mad Hatter (Short, 30-50, thick build)
Scarecrow (Tall)
Poison Ivy (25-35, attractive, thin)
Flass (30ish, tall, muscular)
Commisioner Loeb (Short, fat, old)
The Riddler (Medium height, thin, odd)
Solomon Gruny (might be CGI/trick camera, massive, muscular, hulking character, think Andre the Giant)
Barbara Gordon Jr. (18-25, attractive)

I might post pictures from the comics to give people a better idea of some of the characters looks, but its going to be tough as hell.


Last edited by Verbal Kint*: 08-14-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
08-17-2005, 07:00 AM
  #8
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
Hey Guys,

Need a little help on a project that I'm working on for next season.

I have a character that is half-Japanese, half-Caucasian. He supposed to be pretty tall and lanky, in his mid-twenties, American raised.

The person that comes to mind is John Cho, however, he's Korean. The movie will take place in Japan, so I figure, casting against ethnic background would stand out more.

The race of the character plays an important role into how he interacts with people, so I'm trying to find the right person for it.

So, does anyone have any suggestions, or should I go for John Cho. Any help is appreciated.
No one's had any thoughts on this one? Maybe it got lost in the shuffle after MoP hijacked it.

discostu is offline  
Old
08-17-2005, 05:42 PM
  #9
Verbal Kint*
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The Bunny Vatican
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,132
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
No one's had any thoughts on this one? Maybe it got lost in the shuffle after MoP hijacked it.

Verbal Kint* is offline  
Old
08-17-2005, 08:50 PM
  #10
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 112,521
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
No one's had any thoughts on this one? Maybe it got lost in the shuffle after MoP hijacked it.


I can't think of anyone other than John Cho.

GKJ is offline  
Old
08-18-2005, 11:14 PM
  #11
Winger98
Moderator
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 14,175
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu
No one's had any thoughts on this one? Maybe it got lost in the shuffle after MoP hijacked it.
play him with two different people, a Japanese man and a caucasion. You can alternate between views of them depending on the perspective the shot is coming from. In shots where it's largely just us perceiving the character, where we would be focused on him and what he is thinking and doing, just have it played by some japanese actor (haven't seen many japanese films lately, so I'm a bit empty on actor names). When his mixed heritage comes into play, switch to the caucasion. Or, just go with a caucasion guy. Make him really stand out. Someone like Christopher Meloni. I'll see if I can dredge up some japanese films in the next week or so, though, and be of some actual help

Winger98 is offline  
Old
08-23-2005, 03:12 AM
  #12
Ironchef Chris Wok*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Red Sox Nation
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
I think Daniel Dae Kim (You know, AGENT BAKER!) would be a better choice than John Cho. John Cho has the "goofy reputation" now. It's like casting Sean William Scott for serious movies, he'll always be Stifler.

Ironchef Chris Wok* is offline  
Old
08-23-2005, 08:09 AM
  #13
discostu
Registered User
 
discostu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Nomadville
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok
I think Daniel Dae Kim (You know, AGENT BAKER!) would be a better choice than John Cho. John Cho has the "goofy reputation" now. It's like casting Sean William Scott for serious movies, he'll always be Stifler.
DDK is way too old, and doesn't fit the character at all, and I've seen John Cho in Better Luck Tomorrow, where he did in a dramatic role.

Besides, a little goofiness would fit the role to some degree.

discostu is offline  
Old
08-23-2005, 10:00 PM
  #14
Ironchef Chris Wok*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Red Sox Nation
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 12,538
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
What about that Takeshi Junichiro or whatever his Japanese name is?

He's like half everything! (He's fluent in English, Japanese, and Mandarin, and I htink he can speak a little korean too.)

Ironchef Chris Wok* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.