HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What happens if Florida outtanks the Oilers?

Old
03-17-2014, 01:45 PM
OzzyFan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucanthanzalthetruth View Post
Unfortunately, Luongo can't score. Florida's leading scorer has 34 points.
Yet the Panthers still are only 2 spots and .06 goals/gm worse than Edmonton's all star offense.

Your team offenses are just about even Oil/Pants, yet both your defenses suck, and you both got improvements in goal, Panthers more so. It's a draw at best for you guys with you guys getting the edge as a better team because Luongo is Luongo and the Panthers are a much better possession team than the Oilers.

Conclusion, you both suck but the Oilers definitely suck more on paper. I wouldn't count out the Flames(bad) or Isles(lost Tavares/Vanek/Grabner) yet for competing for that 2nd overall spot, everybody is within 4pts of each other. It's anybody's spot, with it being the Oilers spot to lose.

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:57 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

vCash: 50
Quote:
Because It'd be nice if the Oilers gave something of value up to Florida to move up.

If they draft another forward, that'd be just...wow.
If Florida takes Ekblad then "just....wow"

They'll take a forward if Ekblad is gone, plain and simple.

sepHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 02:02 PM
FinnSkillz28

Hope Oilers would take Bennett! Man he's a helluva competitor

FinnSkillz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 02:13 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Not a bandwaggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahrougem2 View Post
I think Buffalo would rather draft Ekblad and trade Myers for something than draft Reinhart. According to Button he's got Reinhart at #5 right now. Not that I ever agree with Button because I think he's clueless when he speaks, but I don't have Reinhart in the top 3 right now. I think there's a very good chance that if the Oilers don't get #1, they trade their pick
This was updated a week ago: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

I don't think he went from #1 to #5 in a week lol.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Rancourt Fist Pump
best of the worst

The Panthers think the tank is their ally; but they've merely adopted the tank. The Oilers were born in it, molded by it...

Rancourt Fist Pump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 02:26 PM
OkimLom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancourt Fist Pump View Post
The Panthers think the tank is their ally; but they've merely adopted the tank. The Oilers were born in it, molded by it...

Thank you very much...Made it better saying it in his voice as well.

OkimLom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 02:39 PM
Zaddy

Quote:
I think Buffalo would rather draft Ekblad and trade Myers for something than draft Reinhart. According to Button he's got Reinhart at #5 right now. Not that I ever agree with Button because I think he's clueless when he speaks, but I don't have Reinhart in the top 3 right now. I think there's a very good chance that if the Oilers don't get #1, they trade their pick
He's not ranking him #5, he was just saying that it was how he thought how the draft would pan out. He thinks Reinhart is the best player but that doesn't mean teams will pick him. Buffalo might value Bennetts compete level over what Reinhart brings and Oilers obviously would like Ekblad and Florida already has their 2 centers and would take Dal Colle.

Oilers will probably take Draisaitl if Ekblad is out of the picture. Personally I'd probably rather trade down and pick someone else although Draisaitl, in theory, could be a very good #2C for us down the stretch. It's not like a D-man is our only need. We need a #2C and big, physical wingers as well so Ritchie could work too.

Zaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 02:48 PM
tntkid

The Oilers will get the first pick again.

This is just how it works year after year.

tntkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 03:02 PM
btimbit

If the Oilers don't finish bottom 3 then I see some people getting fired or traded. Players and coaches not buying into the system and actually trying to win? Can't have that!

btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 03:59 PM
HockeyGuruPitka

Edmonton needs to draft Ekblad.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 04:06 PM
Goon42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancourt Fist Pump View Post
Lmfao, well done fine sir

Goon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 04:09 PM
KCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
He's years away from being a 1D, if he reaches it. Don't get me wrong. I like Nurse quite a bit. He's got an edge to his game I appreciate. I'm just not a believer in drafting D early in drafts that have talented forwards.
The team needs defense though and you cant build a good team for the future without good prospects. Defense is the one position that takes the longest to develop and with the team in rebuild mode anyways, they can afford to wait.

KCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 04:34 PM
berglund
go

Edmonton should trade down, get a minute eating defender and then draft Alex Tuch.

03-17-2014, 05:06 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldo17 View Post
Edmonton still wins the lottery
I would hope not, to continue to reward these guys for being inept, for so long.............

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 05:12 PM
Mr Positive
Cap Crunch Incoming

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoWings21 View Post
I think the first overall pick is Ekblad no matter which of these teams is making the pick.
They said the same thing about seth jones. He was the clear #1 as well.

Although, the excellent play of Jones might make GMs think twice could about this though

Last edited by Mr Positive: 03-17-2014 at 09:00 PM.
Mr Positive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 05:33 PM
OzzyFan

Quote:
Even if Buffalo would want to trade Myers, teams won't be paying a good price for the Sabres to balk at imo. He's been extremely up and down since his calder year and is a 5.5mil/yr cap hit for the next 5yrs. It's not like they are trading a Carlson or Alzner for forwards, they are trading a d-man who's struggled and is a high cap hit for a forward/forward prospect. What do you think they could even get? I don't think anywhere near Toffoli/Strome/Huberdeau territory. Think Etem/Moroz/Poirier territory.

OzzyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:39 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

If Ekblad is gone I hope Edmonton trades their pick for immediate D help but those trades are easier said than done.

sepHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:46 PM
nik-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Positive View Post
They said the same thing about seth jones. He was the clear #1 as well.

Although, the excellent play of Jones might make GMs think twelve could about this though
Jones was never the clear number 1. He was 1 for some, behind MacKinnon for others. They flip flopped for two years. Ekblad isn't clearly number 1 either though, but I could see Buffalo taking him and then moving other D prospects or roster players.

nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:55 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Edmonton should trade down, get a minute eating defender and then draft Alex Tuch.
I would do something like this...

Top 3 pick for 7-10 pick + roster defender

Top 7-10 pick for 10-15 pick + 2nd

Top 10-15 pick + 2nd + a 3rd late for two later 1sts

I like what CBJ did last draft... just let the BPA left come to them... they rebuilt their prospect pool quite quickly... Oil need a RHD and a top goalie prospect to ensure there is good year to year flow... but most of all they need an NHL player today... coming out of the 2014 Draft with not only someone who can help today but one of Haydon/Glover and one of Demko/Husso would be huge for this organization...

Last edited by SchultzSquared*: 03-17-2014 at 08:01 PM.
SchultzSquared* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Because It'd be nice if the Oilers gave something of value up to Florida to move up.
That would never happen.

Would Florida draft a dman? Drafting a dman is a tough thing to sell to your fans, since the immediate impact is rarely seen. Hell, Jones was supposed to be one of the best dmen to be available in a draft in a while, and him and stud-Weber are leading their team to 3rd last in the conference.

Florida has attendance issues, and drafting a dman is not the way to sell tickets. Thats why you so often see them drop on draft day.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:05 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

If Ekblad is gone. Bennett or Ritchie would be an ideal forward for the Oilers. If Ekblad is available and they pass over him, just throw in the towel Oilers fans.

Leafs87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:21 PM
Aceonfire*

Edmonton will be picking 1-5. They will keep that pick even if Ekblad is gone.

Ekblad, Draisaitl, Dal Colle, Ritchie etc.. They all fill a need.

Aceonfire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:28 PM
smackdaddy
x Edmonton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
If Ekblad is gone. Bennett or Ritchie would be an ideal forward for the Oilers. If Ekblad is available and they pass over him, just throw in the towel Oilers fans.
That's about as likely to happen as a Leafs Cup

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 08:54 PM
ucanthanzalthetruth
Not a bandwaggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
That would never happen.

Would Florida draft a dman? Drafting a dman is a tough thing to sell to your fans, since the immediate impact is rarely seen. Hell, Jones was supposed to be one of the best dmen to be available in a draft in a while, and him and stud-Weber are leading their team to 3rd last in the conference.

Florida has attendance issues, and drafting a dman is not the way to sell tickets. Thats why you so often see them drop on draft day.
#1. Ekblad is NHL ready.
#2. Dale Tallon doesn't give two ***** that Florida has attendance issues, he's trying like all GMs to fill the biggest need on draft day. Florida needs a #1 d-man to help an aging Campbell and erratic Kulikov. Their other pressing need, which is a line 1 or 2 winger, is available via free agency.

ucanthanzalthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Cawz

Quote:
#1. Ekblad is NHL ready.
#2. Dale Tallon doesn't give two ***** that Florida has attendance issues, he's trying like all GMs to fill the biggest need on draft day. Florida needs a #1 d-man to help an aging Campbell and erratic Kulikov. Their other pressing need, which is a line 1 or 2 winger, is available via free agency.
Of course he cares about the attendance. Its his job to put a team on the ice that can sell tickets.

All I'm saying is that you always see dmen drop on draft day becasue they are a tough sell to fans that had to endure a crap season. A young talented forward is a lot more entertaining than a young talented dman, since dmen take longer to develop and make an impact on the team. It happens every draft day.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote