HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's the hardest type of shot? (Besides slapshots)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2014, 06:40 PM
  #1
Runeskor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
What's the hardest type of shot? (Besides slapshots)

Just out of curiosity... And what player has the hardest version of a wrister or snapper?

So far I have Semin's wrister as the hardest non-slapper.

Runeskor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 07:17 PM
  #2
Weber6
Shea Weber
 
Weber6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 210
vCash: 500
Maybe Sid's backhander http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9kLJqp12Sc

Weber6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:21 PM
  #3
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 17,459
vCash: 840
My guess :
-Hardest wrist shot : Semin
-Hardest snap shot : Kessel/Ovechkin/Kovalchuk
-Hardest backhand : Crosby

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:20 AM
  #4
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator
 
tarheelhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Triangle
Country: United States
Posts: 45,389
vCash: 1020
Semin's wrist shot is so hard that you can't follow it visually. It's got to be right up there.

Interesting question whether a wrist shot or snap shot is harder. My gut says a properly executed wrist shot as a higher ceiling, since you're putting force into it for a longer distance along the ice.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 11:40 AM
  #5
silkyjohnson50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,551
vCash: 500
Yeah I would think wrist shots would have more velocity on them, but I don't know for sure?

If, however, I was only able to use one shot type for the rest of my playing days - I'd take a snap shot and it's not even close.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 04:33 PM
  #6
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 17,459
vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Semin's wrist shot is so hard that you can't follow it visually. It's got to be right up there.

Interesting question whether a wrist shot or snap shot is harder. My gut says a properly executed wrist shot as a higher ceiling, since you're putting force into it for a longer distance along the ice.
The difference between a wrist shot and a snap shot is the trade off between power and quick release. I usually lean towards a wrist shot in game situations since most of my shots on the rush are fired between the blue line and the top of the circle. If I'm closer, I'll just snap it off.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 04:44 PM
  #7
YMCMBYOLO
WEDABEST
 
YMCMBYOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,309
vCash: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetimersniper28 View Post
The difference between a wrist shot and a snap shot is the trade off between power and quick release. I usually lean towards a wrist shot in game situations since most of my shots on the rush are fired between the blue line and the top of the circle. If I'm closer, I'll just snap it off.
This. Unless I really put my body into a snap shot, it definitely won't be harder than my wrist shot.

YMCMBYOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 05:15 AM
  #8
10coach*
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2,036
vCash: 500
Only reason the wrist shot isn't common in the nhl is due to the shooters lack of time.

10coach* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 04:52 PM
  #9
Eazy for Kuzy
Allez les Bleus!
 
Eazy for Kuzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal
Country: France
Posts: 17,459
vCash: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
Only reason the wrist shot isn't common in the nhl is due to the shooters lack of time.
Exactly, but on a 5 on 3 PP, they sometimes rip those wrist shots top shelf. I could sit all day watching guys like Semin or Kessel shoot.

Eazy for Kuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 10:59 PM
  #10
57special
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MN
Posts: 10,028
vCash: 50
Wendell Clark had a ridiculously hard wrist shot.

57special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:04 PM
  #11
chapel
Registered User
 
chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salem MA
Country: United States
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
A well executed snapshot can be devastating at close range

chapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 06:52 PM
  #12
TatarTangle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 3,216
vCash: 500
Goalie here: If a snap shot isn't in your repertoire, it should be. After playing for 20+ years I can track a wrist shot and slap shot in my sleep. A well executed snap shot, not so much. If you can go backhand - forehand - snap shot you'll start scoring a lot more goals.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 07:01 PM
  #13
silkyjohnson50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatarTangle View Post
Goalie here: If a snap shot isn't in your repertoire, it should be. After playing for 20+ years I can track a wrist shot and slap shot in my sleep. A well executed snap shot, not so much. If you can go backhand - forehand - snap shot you'll start scoring a lot more goals.
Lol that's my go to move in scoring areas. Watching Datsyuk and then practicing and perfecting how to quickly transition from backhand to forehand to shot release has completely changed my game.

But even when I'm not in tight on the goal I prefer the snapshot. Quickly changing angles and releasing the snapshot when goalies aren't expecting it often catches them off guard - even when the shot power is not nearly as hard as a loaded up wrist shot.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 09:57 PM
  #14
TatarTangle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 3,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Lol that's my go to move in scoring areas. Watching Datsyuk and then practicing and perfecting how to quickly transition from backhand to forehand to shot release has completely changed my game.

But even when I'm not in tight on the goal I prefer the snapshot. Quickly changing angles and releasing the snapshot when goalies aren't expecting it often catches them off guard - even when the shot power is not nearly as hard as a loaded up wrist shot.
Absolutely. He's the best example. I typically skate out now and do it to low blocker side. I don't bother shooting anywhere else. You'll only run into a handful of goalies, for what level we're skating at posting on a message board, that are capable of making that save.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 12:58 AM
  #15
Clardz
Registered User
 
Clardz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: DFW
Country: Ireland
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
James Neal's snapshot is beastly. He rips it super fast and you can tell it's also a very heavy shot.

Clardz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 09:48 AM
  #16
chapel
Registered User
 
chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salem MA
Country: United States
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatarTangle View Post
Goalie here: If a snap shot isn't in your repertoire, it should be. After playing for 20+ years I can track a wrist shot and slap shot in my sleep. A well executed snap shot, not so much. If you can go backhand - forehand - snap shot you'll start scoring a lot more goals.
I always asked my goalies what they hated the most and it was always the same: point blank snappers.
A slap shot is always telegraphed. A wrist shot can be tracked. A point blank snapper is the one that hurts the most. You don't have enough time to visualize yourself in a protective posture and you have to make the decision to take the hurt and make a save, or protect yourself and stay healthy.

That's what separates the good goalies from the greats. Granted, most of those great goalies were injured a lot. Or are dealing with crippling pain later in life.

chapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 10:03 AM
  #17
WelcomeToGirouxSalem
Registered User
 
WelcomeToGirouxSalem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 736
vCash: 500
Fluttershots are the hardest (not fastest) never know where that ***** going when its only going 2 mph

WelcomeToGirouxSalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 12:13 PM
  #18
chapel
Registered User
 
chapel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salem MA
Country: United States
Posts: 62
vCash: 500
what's a flutter shot?

chapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 12:30 PM
  #19
silkyjohnson50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 9,551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel View Post
what's a flutter shot?
I'm assuming like a partially fanned shot that acts like a change up. In that case I could definitely understand why.

Even as a skater, I love knocking down passes and clearing attempts. But the slower they come, the harder it gets. It becomes less instinctive.

silkyjohnson50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2014, 06:01 PM
  #20
TatarTangle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Detroit
Country: United States
Posts: 3,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapel View Post
I always asked my goalies what they hated the most and it was always the same: point blank snappers.
A slap shot is always telegraphed. A wrist shot can be tracked. A point blank snapper is the one that hurts the most. You don't have enough time to visualize yourself in a protective posture and you have to make the decision to take the hurt and make a save, or protect yourself and stay healthy.

That's what separates the good goalies from the greats. Granted, most of those great goalies were injured a lot. Or are dealing with crippling pain later in life.
Oh, there are permanent bruises, PERMANENT BRUISES I say. I had to hop in net the other night and someone asked me how I made this one save; he said he couldn't even see the shot... t was a snapper. Told him it's half-luck and half-instincts after doing it for so long. Yea, still have a war wound from that one...

But in all seriousness guys, learn a snap shot if you truly want one of the "hardest" shots in the game. ****, I'm trying to learn and master it myself. Converted goalie so all I can do really well is skate and pass

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 03:11 AM
  #21
Burr08
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 145
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TatarTangle View Post
Oh, there are permanent bruises, PERMANENT BRUISES I say. I had to hop in net the other night and someone asked me how I made this one save; he said he couldn't even see the shot... t was a snapper. Told him it's half-luck and half-instincts after doing it for so long. Yea, still have a war wound from that one...

But in all seriousness guys, learn a snap shot if you truly want one of the "hardest" shots in the game. ****, I'm trying to learn and master it myself. Converted goalie so all I can do really well is skate and pass
Agreed, snapshots are probably the most versatile and useful. Quick to get off, accurate and at the NHL level guys still get a lot of velocity behind them.

Burr08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:54 PM
  #22
ArcataShark
in dubious battle
 
ArcataShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Eugene
Country: United States
Posts: 942
vCash: 500
Brent Burns has a hybrid wrist shot that seems to have alot on it.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.