HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raphael Diaz

View Poll Results: What should we do with Raph Diaz?
Signed him long term (4+ years) 5 5.81%
Signed him short term (1-3 years) 39 45.35%
Let him leave at the end of this season 42 48.84%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-01-2013, 07:50 AM
  #1
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen
 
HabsProspectsExpert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Raphael Diaz

Now that Emelin as been sign for 4 years; do you think that Marc Bergevin should do the same with Raphael Diaz?

What type of contract do you think he deserves?

HabsProspectsExpert is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 07:56 AM
  #2
PricePkPatch*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,494
vCash: 500
Markov or not Markov, that is the question

PricePkPatch* is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:02 AM
  #3
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Trade him now please !!!

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:03 AM
  #4
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 8,439
vCash: 500
I voted for the opposite of what they should really do. Since they aren't making any decent hockey decisions in this management group, why even bother.

vokiel is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:06 AM
  #5
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,412
vCash: 500
I will take the trade him option . Not in the poll. Ok, let him go .

Agnostic is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:06 AM
  #6
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,961
vCash: 1484
I don't really see how he fits in the plans going forward.

Tuggy is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:08 AM
  #7
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr
 
Stjonnypopo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mount Doom
Posts: 11,485
vCash: 500
I would not let him go. He's been solid this season.

1-3 year is good, at something like 2M per season. That way if ever we have a backlog on D he can be moved for picks or something. Letting a player go for nothing, especially one who's solidified his place on D, is just bad asset management.

Stjonnypopo is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:15 AM
  #8
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,021
vCash: 500
Yeah poll needs a "Trade him" option he has some value we should get something back.

JLP is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:22 AM
  #9
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,240
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I would not let him go. He's been solid this season.

1-3 year is good, at something like 2M per season. That way if ever we have a backlog on D he can be moved for picks or something. Letting a player go for nothing, especially one who's solidified his place on D, is just bad asset management.
Look at Emelin's contract. No way Diaz is getting that.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:31 AM
  #10
BrimStone64
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,117
vCash: 500
I'd bet they re-sign Diaz. Bergs is not a big mover and shaker and Diaz been fairly steady. Bouillon be gone next season, likely replaced by a Pateryn. Markov 50/50, according to if accepts a short term contract. I'd have an idea he's replaced by Nygren. Maybe Beaulieu

BrimStone64 is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:33 AM
  #11
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen
 
HabsProspectsExpert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 714
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I will take the trade him option . Not in the poll. Ok, let him go .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Yeah poll needs a "Trade him" option he has some value we should get something back.
I don't understand why people are saying we should trade Diaz, Gionta, Markov. We need those players for the playoff. Let's be realistic; we are going to be buyers, not sellers...


Last edited by HabsProspectsExpert: 11-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
HabsProspectsExpert is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:40 AM
  #12
Harry Wong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Sign him and trade him.

Harry Wong is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:42 AM
  #13
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
I don't understand why people are saying we should trade Diaz, Gionta, Markov. We need those players for the playoff. Let's be realistic; we are not going to be buyers, not sellers...
There is enough defensive depth to lose Diaz and still be ready for playoffs.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:47 AM
  #14
Harry Wong
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 348
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
There is enough defensive depth to lose Diaz and still be ready for playoffs.
Hard to imagine we are really going to the finals with this team. Maybe Diaz could be a piece of a bigger deal for a top four D man with a bit of grit.

Harry Wong is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 08:53 AM
  #15
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Diaz is NOT built for the playoffs. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Marky and Gionta ok.

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 09:07 AM
  #16
Spearmint Rhino
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 2,404
vCash: 500
Diaz is MTs new Boullion, personally I'd move him in a package but I got a feeling he'll get a 3 year deal around $3MM/per

Beaulieu & Tinordi will end up as the 6-7 next season replacing Murray & Cube
PK/Markov/Emelin/Diaz/Gorges is our top 5 with Drewiskie, Pateryn & Nygren the injury fillers

Not a bad D and doesn't leave us too thin as injuries pile up

Spearmint Rhino is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 09:20 AM
  #17
MXD
Registered User
 
MXD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 23,655
vCash: 500
He's useful, but keeping him this season would be extremely risky with the deal that has been given to Emelin. This supposes the team wants to keep Markov.

MXD is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 09:23 AM
  #18
hockeyfan2k11
Registered User
 
hockeyfan2k11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 10,240
vCash: 500
If you're Diaz...do you accept anything less than Emelin's deal? I wouldn't blame him if he wanted 4M/year.

hockeyfan2k11 is online now  
Old
11-01-2013, 09:43 AM
  #19
Habiton
Registered User
 
Habiton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 907
vCash: 500
Trade. No sense losing assets for nothing and no sense keep a redundant one.

Habiton is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:09 AM
  #20
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger
 
MasterDecoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beijing
Posts: 12,526
vCash: 500
I like Diaz but depending how the season unfolds, he's good, we keep him for the PO, he's average, trade at deadline.

MasterDecoy is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:31 AM
  #21
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate
 
Chris Cutter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Beauce
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,857
vCash: 500
Sign him for 2 years, trade him when Nygren is knocking at the door.

Chris Cutter is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:35 AM
  #22
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle
 
JLP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
If you're Diaz...do you accept anything less than Emelin's deal? I wouldn't blame him if he wanted 4M/year.
I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting $4M. Even I want four million dollars!

But who will pay? I think Emelin would have got that much as a UFA next summer, Diaz not so much. Diaz's best chance for a big payday comes from the scattergood M. Bergervin.

JLP is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 10:40 AM
  #23
Joe Cole
Registered User
 
Joe Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 3,209
vCash: 500
I was never a fan of the idea of re-creating Streit. The first experiment, Weber, was a failure. Diaz is better, but if he is not bringing the offense...what does he add to the team?

It always amazed me how much Weber and now Diaz got instant credibility without ever delivering the goods.

Diaz had a good stretch last season, but he just does not deliver the consistency to overlook the obvious over-matching he goes through on a nightly basis.

I would like to maximize the asset, instead of just giving it away, but I fear there is little market for him unless he turns it around and reappears as the player who could make fast good decisions in his own end, as he did last year.

For now, he is a place holder for the hopeful development of Beaulieu or others.

Joe Cole is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
  #24
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 25,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I was never a fan of the idea of re-creating Streit. The first experiment, Weber, was a failure. Diaz is better, but if he is not bringing the offense...what does he add to the team?

It always amazed me how much Weber and now Diaz got instant credibility without ever delivering the goods.

Diaz had a good stretch last season, but he just does not deliver the consistency to overlook the obvious over-matching he goes through on a nightly basis.

I would like to maximize the asset, instead of just giving it away, but I fear there is little market for him unless he turns it around and reappears as the player who could make fast good decisions in his own end, as he did last year.

For now, he is a place holder for the hopeful development of Beaulieu or others.
Wait, what goods was Diaz "supposed to" bring that he hasn't? All he has been (and continues to be) is a 20 min/night, 0.5 PPG, positive +/- puck moving defenseman, who has blocked more shots on a per game average than any other defenseman wearing the CH (by a fair margin too, I believe). Obviously completely redundant because he's not also physically imposing, and no possible market for this guy...

He breaks up plenty of plays "despite" his size because of his positioning and stick/eye-hand coordination, and does a better job moving the puck safely than just about everyone on the current D squad. Giveaways (as "official" as they are) so far: Markov 18, Subban 9, Bouillon 8, Beaulieu 4 (in 5 games), Diaz 3. It should also be pointed out how important he and Gorges have actually been to ES scoring so far this season, providing 8 points at ES so far, while Subban+Markov, amazingly, have only provided 7 at ES.

But yeah, legit secondary scoring from another puck moving defenseman is something we should be planning to get rid of as soon as possible. Two on the right side is too many.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
11-01-2013, 11:19 AM
  #25
sonnytheman
Registered User
 
sonnytheman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Ithaca, Mtl
Country: India
Posts: 1,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Wait, what goods was Diaz "supposed to" bring that he hasn't? All he has been (and continues to be) is a 20 min/night, 0.5 PPG, positive +/- puck moving defenseman, who has blocked more shots on a per game average than any other defenseman wearing the CH (by a fair margin too, I believe). Obviously completely redundant because he's not also physically imposing, and no possible market for this guy...

He breaks up plenty of plays "despite" his size because of his positioning and stick/eye-hand coordination, and does a better job moving the puck safely than just about everyone on the current D squad. Giveaways (as "official" as they are) so far: Markov 18, Subban 9, Bouillon 8, Beaulieu 4 (in 5 games), Diaz 3. It should also be pointed out how important he and Gorges have actually been to ES scoring so far this season, providing 8 points at ES so far, while Subban+Markov, amazingly, have only provided 7 at ES.

But yeah, legit secondary scoring from another puck moving defenseman is something we should be planning to get rid of as soon as possible. Two on the right side is too many.
Agreed, I don't understand the hate for him on this board. I'd definitely re-sign him, though not sure if I'd go longer than 3 years.

sonnytheman is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.