HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raphael Diaz

View Poll Results: What should we do with Raph Diaz?
Signed him long term (4+ years) 5 5.81%
Signed him short term (1-3 years) 39 45.35%
Let him leave at the end of this season 42 48.84%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
11-01-2013, 07:50 AM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

vCash: 500
Raphael Diaz

Now that Emelin as been sign for 4 years; do you think that Marc Bergevin should do the same with Raphael Diaz?

What type of contract do you think he deserves?

Old
11-01-2013, 07:56 AM
PricePkPatch*

Markov or not Markov, that is the question

Old
11-01-2013, 08:02 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Trade him now please !!!

Old
11-01-2013, 08:03 AM
vokiel
Nothing blind

I voted for the opposite of what they should really do. Since they aren't making any decent hockey decisions in this management group, why even bother.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I will take the trade him option . Not in the poll. Ok, let him go .

Old
11-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
I don't really see how he fits in the plans going forward.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:08 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I would not let him go. He's been solid this season.

1-3 year is good, at something like 2M per season. That way if ever we have a backlog on D he can be moved for picks or something. Letting a player go for nothing, especially one who's solidified his place on D, is just bad asset management.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:15 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Yeah poll needs a "Trade him" option he has some value we should get something back.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:22 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
I would not let him go. He's been solid this season.

1-3 year is good, at something like 2M per season. That way if ever we have a backlog on D he can be moved for picks or something. Letting a player go for nothing, especially one who's solidified his place on D, is just bad asset management.
Look at Emelin's contract. No way Diaz is getting that.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:31 AM
BrimStone64

I'd bet they re-sign Diaz. Bergs is not a big mover and shaker and Diaz been fairly steady. Bouillon be gone next season, likely replaced by a Pateryn. Markov 50/50, according to if accepts a short term contract. I'd have an idea he's replaced by Nygren. Maybe Beaulieu

Old
11-01-2013, 08:33 AM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I will take the trade him option . Not in the poll. Ok, let him go .
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Yeah poll needs a "Trade him" option he has some value we should get something back.
I don't understand why people are saying we should trade Diaz, Gionta, Markov. We need those players for the playoff. Let's be realistic; we are going to be buyers, not sellers...

Last edited by HabsProspectsExpert: 11-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.
Old
11-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Harry Wong

Sign him and trade him.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
I don't understand why people are saying we should trade Diaz, Gionta, Markov. We need those players for the playoff. Let's be realistic; we are not going to be buyers, not sellers...
There is enough defensive depth to lose Diaz and still be ready for playoffs.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Harry Wong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
There is enough defensive depth to lose Diaz and still be ready for playoffs.
Hard to imagine we are really going to the finals with this team. Maybe Diaz could be a piece of a bigger deal for a top four D man with a bit of grit.

Old
11-01-2013, 08:53 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Diaz is NOT built for the playoffs. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Marky and Gionta ok.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:07 AM
Spearmint Rhino

Diaz is MTs new Boullion, personally I'd move him in a package but I got a feeling he'll get a 3 year deal around $3MM/per

Beaulieu & Tinordi will end up as the 6-7 next season replacing Murray & Cube
PK/Markov/Emelin/Diaz/Gorges is our top 5 with Drewiskie, Pateryn & Nygren the injury fillers

Not a bad D and doesn't leave us too thin as injuries pile up

Old
11-01-2013, 09:20 AM
MXD

He's useful, but keeping him this season would be extremely risky with the deal that has been given to Emelin. This supposes the team wants to keep Markov.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:23 AM
hockeyfan2k11

If you're Diaz...do you accept anything less than Emelin's deal? I wouldn't blame him if he wanted 4M/year.

Old
11-01-2013, 09:43 AM
Habiton

Trade. No sense losing assets for nothing and no sense keep a redundant one.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:09 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

I like Diaz but depending how the season unfolds, he's good, we keep him for the PO, he's average, trade at deadline.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

Sign him for 2 years, trade him when Nygren is knocking at the door.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:35 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
If you're Diaz...do you accept anything less than Emelin's deal? I wouldn't blame him if he wanted 4M/year.
I wouldn't blame anyone for wanting $4M. Even I want four million dollars!

But who will pay? I think Emelin would have got that much as a UFA next summer, Diaz not so much. Diaz's best chance for a big payday comes from the scattergood M. Bergervin.

Old
11-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Joe Cole

I was never a fan of the idea of re-creating Streit. The first experiment, Weber, was a failure. Diaz is better, but if he is not bringing the offense...what does he add to the team?

It always amazed me how much Weber and now Diaz got instant credibility without ever delivering the goods.

Diaz had a good stretch last season, but he just does not deliver the consistency to overlook the obvious over-matching he goes through on a nightly basis.

I would like to maximize the asset, instead of just giving it away, but I fear there is little market for him unless he turns it around and reappears as the player who could make fast good decisions in his own end, as he did last year.

For now, he is a place holder for the hopeful development of Beaulieu or others.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
I was never a fan of the idea of re-creating Streit. The first experiment, Weber, was a failure. Diaz is better, but if he is not bringing the offense...what does he add to the team?

It always amazed me how much Weber and now Diaz got instant credibility without ever delivering the goods.

Diaz had a good stretch last season, but he just does not deliver the consistency to overlook the obvious over-matching he goes through on a nightly basis.

I would like to maximize the asset, instead of just giving it away, but I fear there is little market for him unless he turns it around and reappears as the player who could make fast good decisions in his own end, as he did last year.

For now, he is a place holder for the hopeful development of Beaulieu or others.
Wait, what goods was Diaz "supposed to" bring that he hasn't? All he has been (and continues to be) is a 20 min/night, 0.5 PPG, positive +/- puck moving defenseman, who has blocked more shots on a per game average than any other defenseman wearing the CH (by a fair margin too, I believe). Obviously completely redundant because he's not also physically imposing, and no possible market for this guy...

He breaks up plenty of plays "despite" his size because of his positioning and stick/eye-hand coordination, and does a better job moving the puck safely than just about everyone on the current D squad. Giveaways (as "official" as they are) so far: Markov 18, Subban 9, Bouillon 8, Beaulieu 4 (in 5 games), Diaz 3. It should also be pointed out how important he and Gorges have actually been to ES scoring so far this season, providing 8 points at ES so far, while Subban+Markov, amazingly, have only provided 7 at ES.

But yeah, legit secondary scoring from another puck moving defenseman is something we should be planning to get rid of as soon as possible. Two on the right side is too many.

Old
11-01-2013, 11:19 AM
sonnytheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Wait, what goods was Diaz "supposed to" bring that he hasn't? All he has been (and continues to be) is a 20 min/night, 0.5 PPG, positive +/- puck moving defenseman, who has blocked more shots on a per game average than any other defenseman wearing the CH (by a fair margin too, I believe). Obviously completely redundant because he's not also physically imposing, and no possible market for this guy...

He breaks up plenty of plays "despite" his size because of his positioning and stick/eye-hand coordination, and does a better job moving the puck safely than just about everyone on the current D squad. Giveaways (as "official" as they are) so far: Markov 18, Subban 9, Bouillon 8, Beaulieu 4 (in 5 games), Diaz 3. It should also be pointed out how important he and Gorges have actually been to ES scoring so far this season, providing 8 points at ES so far, while Subban+Markov, amazingly, have only provided 7 at ES.

But yeah, legit secondary scoring from another puck moving defenseman is something we should be planning to get rid of as soon as possible. Two on the right side is too many.
Agreed, I don't understand the hate for him on this board. I'd definitely re-sign him, though not sure if I'd go longer than 3 years.

Closed Thread