HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tokarski Shutout! Habs Beat Sabres, Continue Win Streak

Old
03-16-2014, 11:00 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Vanek is getting his chances, he is going to be a beast down the stretch. Happy for Tokarski! Habs did what they needed to do to win! Now comes the fun on Tuesday
If Vanek's slump continues it will end up costing him significant $$$.

Like 6 mill for 7 instead of 7 mill for 7...

He should be motivated... that's for sure.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:06 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RISPEK View Post
the fact that we got him for what we did, I have a good feeling vanek will NOT have a big pay day. the lack of interest in him at the deadline speaks volumes. his game thus far with the habs is not helping out his cause.
2 post I quote from you in 2 minutes. and 2 post where you clearly show your ignorance.

There was plenty of interest for Vanek at the trade limit. But you clearly have not actually researched why we ended getting him.

PricePkPatch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:08 PM
Ethereal Whisper
La Reine des Neiges

vCash: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
...yeah, but a 6'7 252 lb nerd that played Hockey, Basketball & Rugby as well as being in the Chess club & D&D club...of course, was a wee bit lighter then...
Hey! I'm big too! ... for a... okay I'm 6'1" but am like 140...

... okay I'll go hide in a corner now.

but I play hockey! ... non-checking hockey...

Ethereal Whisper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:09 PM
Ethereal Whisper
La Reine des Neiges

Also, Dungeons and Dragons is awesome. I play every Friday night.

Old
03-16-2014, 11:14 PM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrose Everdeen View Post
Also, Dungeons and Dragons is awesome. I play every Friday night.
wife material

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:14 PM
Ethereal Whisper
La Reine des Neiges

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
wife material
I play many RPG's and like to be a healer, therefore in D&D I play a cleric 9 times out of 10.

That said, this campaign, I'm the party rogue...

Old
03-16-2014, 11:16 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Oh yah plenty of interest....a 2nd round pick (CONDITIONAL) and a meh prospect won the sweepstakes.
So.. you do NOT know what the **** you are talking about, eh? Thanks for proving it to everybody.

Do us a favor; actually go research and find why Montreal won the sweepstake even if we were one of the lowest bidder. Do you want a clue?

Old
03-16-2014, 11:17 PM
FF de Mars

vCash: 50
I was watching the game, then hanging out with my roomate and my neighbor. We just switched it to the epic remontée we just had against Ottawa last night !

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:31 PM
No More Subban

Back to back wins!

Isaygoodday!

No More Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:35 PM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Montreal got Vanek because no one wanted to give Garth Snow anything relevant and Habs offered the most when the trade calls had to be made. Its a simple concept, when a player is auctioned...the team that offers the most wins. UUHHH DOYYYYY?

I hope you learned a thing or two today. Quit it with the pompous attitude. If you want soft floating euros and 5'6 midgets in the playoffs, be my guest...just letting you know you dont win cups with this calibre of player. Im in the STANLEY CUP business, not the regular season business BRAH

Oh man, you really are putting your ignorance on display, and are screaming "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!"

Now, if you had actually researched the topic a minute before ridiculing yourself; you'd have discovered that many teams had offered more to Snow than what we ourselves offered.

Now, why didn't Snow take them on these offers? simple. Snow wasn't given the opportunity (by his owner Wang) to retain any amount of salary so team would fit Vanek into their salary cap structure.

Therefore, the Habs were the only team that could afford Vanek's full salary (minus what the Sabres themselves retained), and won the sweepstake with a minimal bid.

Old
03-16-2014, 11:41 PM
Habsland35

Quote:
Montreal got Vanek because no one wanted to give Garth Snow anything relevant and Habs offered the most when the trade calls had to be made. Its a simple concept, when a player is auctioned...the team that offers the most wins. UUHHH DOYYYYY?

I hope you learned a thing or two today. Quit it with the pompous attitude. If you want soft floating euros and 5'6 midgets in the playoffs, be my guest...just letting you know you dont win cups with this calibre of player. Im in the STANLEY CUP business, not the regular season business BRAH
in Vanek's and the islanders case it wasnt simply about who offered more...as PricePKPatch said, you should really go do some research as to why the habs were able to get him so cheap...its really funny though to see you call him after he repeatedly told you to do some research about the trade because you are wrong

Vanek is far from a floater...hes been extremely consistent over the years, in his last 10 playoff games hes scored 7 goals and on free agency teams will be lining up to give him 7-8 mil per year over 7 years

Habsland35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:57 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Lol calm down. Post me actual evidence as to what other teams offered. I only deal with FACTS, not some scrub reporters hypothesis.
From what I've read, no one outside of the Habs actually made an offer on Vanek. Everyone else didn't want to bid in the pricing range that Snow was asking, so when it came down to the wire, Bergevin offered that package and Snow said "Welp, got nothing better and it's 3pm. Deal."

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:04 AM
Habsland35

Quote:
What research? An opinion from some writer? How about a direct quote from the horses mouth?

To sum it up. The market wasn't active for vanek and the habs offer was the best deal he had on the table...and he thought it was a good deal based on how things were going.

Hows that for "research"?

its hard to make snow a deal when the team doesn't have the salary cap to acquire Vanek and snow cannot retain any of his salary

obviously the habs deal was the best they got because no other team had the cap space to trade for him..so there was no other deal

Old
03-17-2014, 12:23 AM
LyricalLyricist

How we play? I missed the game.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:29 AM
Habsland35

Quote:
Yup, that's what happened. THe habs offered the best deal, no other team cared enough to make space for vanek because quite frankly he's not worth the hassle...his play right now is proving that the other gms were right in not making offers for vanek.

GMs were turned off by vaneks attitude at the Olympics, yo PricePkPatch go research that!
a comment from Lebrun a couple days before the deadline from an article from the score...

Lebrun emphasized that one of the main hang ups in a potential Vanek deal is the winger's substantial cap-hit, which is inconvenient when most of the teams that fancy themselves contenders are pressed right up against the upper limit of the salary cap.

thats why vanek went for so little...remember what NYI gave up for him?

if you watched him play since arriving here you would have noticed all the opportunities hes been creating and chances hes getting but, right now, things just arent going his way...come playoff time you will be eating your words

ive been a fan of vanek for a long time and as someone who has seen him play many times over the years you couldn't be more wrong about the kind of player he is

Old
03-17-2014, 12:31 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
played good in the first, enroth played great keeping buffalo in it. habs scored two goals in a short span and then go in cruise control...typical therrien. tokarski had to make some big saves as the habs weren't exactly pressuring much. wasnt a fun game to watch.
Thanks for the breakdown! Was hoping there was more of last games 1st period but highs and lows happen so I'm happy with the win. Hopefully more excitement next game.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:42 AM
Alexdaman
Wolfman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post

Oh man, you really are putting your ignorance on display, and are screaming "I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!! I DON'T KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT!!!"

Now, if you had actually researched the topic a minute before ridiculing yourself; you'd have discovered that many teams had offered more to Snow than what we ourselves offered.

Now, why didn't Snow take them on these offers? simple. Snow wasn't given the opportunity (by his owner Wang) to retain any amount of salary so team would fit Vanek into their salary cap structure.

Therefore, the Habs were the only team that could afford Vanek's full salary (minus what the Sabres themselves retained), and won the sweepstake with a minimal bid.
i believe you

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:44 AM
Alexdaman
Wolfman

Quote:
60 minute games? Not in our vocabulary unfortunately. I was hoping we'd throttle the sabres after the high of last nights game. i really hate therrien.
This year the Pens played the Sabres and won 3-0... does that make you hate Bylsma?

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 01:18 AM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

Just wanted to say that Tokarski reminds me of Theodore for his (lack of)style and attitude. I remember everytime Theo would get a puck thrown at him I would almost close my eyes. But he managed to being solid cause he was a fighter.

This is at least a good quality for a backup.

(In contrast when Price came in with the Habs my first reaction was "this is the perfect goalie". As opposed to Theo where I thought "this guy would never be the top goalie on my team" yet I completly forgot about this when we beat Boston in the playoffs. But he continued giving me heart attacks lol)

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 02:02 AM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Just wanted to say that Tokarski reminds me of Theodore for his (lack of)style and attitude. I remember everytime Theo would get a puck thrown at him I would almost close my eyes. But he managed to being solid cause he was a fighter.

This is at least a good quality for a backup.

(In contrast when Price came in with the Habs my first reaction was "this is the perfect goalie". As opposed to Theo where I thought "this guy would never be the top goalie on my team" yet I completly forgot about this when we beat Boston in the playoffs. But he continued giving me heart attacks lol)
Odd, that's how I felt about Halak. Battler that one, but god damn did I hate how often he went looking behind him for the puck.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 04:53 AM
morgan_mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkguy View Post
Why? Dubnyk deserves another chance. He's been a solid goalie for years until this year. A summer off might do him good and he might come back better than ever.

I don't see Mayer saying around.

Dubie could split time with Tokarski.

Condon can be ECHL/AHL call-up.

No harm in signing Dubie.
The Habs management will also have to start thinking about playing time for Fucale in Hamilton at some point.

morgan_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 05:02 AM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
Congrats to former Spokane Chief Dustin Tokarksi on his first NHL shutout! Nobody deserves it more than him; he's worked incredibly hard for everything he has and is truly one of the nicest kids I've ever met.

A winner at every level:
Telus Cup
Memorial Cup
World Junior Gold
Calder Cup

...just needs a Stanley Cup to finish it off. Best of luck to you all for the rest of the year!
Not sure where I stand on Tokarski. Goalies are hardest to judge for me.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 05:05 AM
JusticeBeaver
Twitter: @gar****al

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan_mtl View Post
The Habs management will also have to start thinking about playing time for Fucale in Hamilton at some point.
He's eligible for another year in Halifax and that's probably where he will end up, no reason to rush him. Plus another strong season and I believe he hold most wins by a goalie in the q - ever.

JusticeBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 05:29 AM
morgan_mtl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticeBeaver View Post
He's eligible for another year in Halifax and that's probably where he will end up, no reason to rush him. Plus another strong season and I believe he hold most wins by a goalie in the q - ever.
I agree with you . I was thinking more like what happened with Price after his season is over and if Hamilton was still playing his name might be considered.

morgan_mtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 05:30 AM
Spearmint Rhino

First regulation win since Feb 8th against the worst team in the NHL so I'm not going to do cartwheels just yet but great to see Tokarski get the SO and 2 pts is 2 pts

Still some sloppy play in our own end that would cost us against our next opponent - Need to stop making the fancy plays in our own end and get the puck off the boards and out but really happy to see all the players going hard to the net now instead of just Gallagher

Predicting a hat-trick for Vanek against the Avs!

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote