HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Are we gonna act like the Avs aren't ahead of the Blackhawks?

Old
03-16-2014, 10:57 PM
a flat hamster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko19 View Post
I like what Colorado has, but come back when they win the cup.
So a team isn't worth talking about unless it has just won the Cup?

a flat hamster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 10:59 PM
WarriorofTime
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiggityMiggityMack View Post
The fact that a former basement team is contending for home ice against the Stanley Cup champs is pretty impressive. I consider the Avs to be relatively close to the 2008 Hawks. A bit more fine tuning and the Avs could be a contender in the next few years.
I would say they're closer to the 09 Blackhawks who finished 4th in the west and made it to the western conference final.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:01 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Playoffs are what decides bragging rights. Neither fanbase is going to care if their team ends up with the better regular season record (or if they get to hoist a divisional championship banner) if the other team advances past them in the playoffs.

Nerd, don't estimate all humanity by the limits of your own capability. - Steve Smith, Professor of History, University of China, IL
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:02 PM
FloydTheBarber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
I think Gabriel Landeskog has robbed Johnathon Toews of all his intangibles.

How else can you explain what's going on here?

Whoever had the avs finishing ahead of the hawks in a prop bet is about a month from cleaning up.

What's more surprising, the Avs being second or the Hawks being third?
Perhaps after the Olympics, I didn't even know Landeskog participated in the Olympics after his performance. Whereas Toews, well everyone noticed him

FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:05 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Regardless of if they beat the Blackhawks in the playoffs (I'm assuming they're going to play each other), it's been a great season for Colorado and a step in the right direction. They're building something really strong. All the OP is saying is no one expected this, and no one is really talking about it.

Roy has gotten a lot of miles out of this defense but the forward depth is carrying them. I think they're the only team with 5 20 goal scorers, and they've got a 6th in McGinn knocking on the door.

Even if Colorado finishes ahead of Chicago, no one will have them as favorites. It's just a nice accomplishment for now.

The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:06 PM
MiggityMiggityMack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
I would say they're closer to the 09 Blackhawks who finished 4th in the west and made it to the western conference final.
Not enough D depth yet. Need a few prospects to pan out and a signing or two. Win or lose, the experience gained in a series against the Hawks will be vital for them to learn how to win. Much like how Chicago learned from Detroit in 2009 in the CF.

MiggityMiggityMack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:07 PM
wintersej
HFBoards Sponsor

Chicago is clearly coasting through the regular season a bit here and relying on an insane amount of loser points. They only have 2 more ROW than freaking Montreal, and they are clearly a way better team than that.

That being said, sometimes that playoff ON switch doesn't turn on when you want it to and Chicago fans should be a little more concerned than they are.

wintersej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:16 PM
Doughboy Cashout
It's Showtime

I see a lot of Chicago in Colorado's team game. Chicago is so used to being able to play wide-open considering they skate better than almost every team that they get caught off-guard by Colorado who can skate with Chicago. I think they'll be in a SCF in the next five years. If they can get a bit more balance with their young forward core, they'll be a contender pretty shortly.They still give up a ton of SOG against Chicago when they play. But they're a young, dangerous team with nothing to lose come playoff time. Could be like 2009 Chicago, they could surprise some people come postseason. I just hope Chicago puts them out of the playoffs in the first round.

Doughboy Cashout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:24 PM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Based

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
Perhaps after the Olympics, I didn't even know Landeskog participated in the Olympics after his performance. Whereas Toews, well everyone noticed him
agreed, greatest 1 goal tournament of all time

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:26 PM
skiba77777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfamadore View Post
Wow people need to simmer down a little bit. All this thread is saying is that as of right now a team that finished 29th last year is ahead of the defending Stanley cup champs. No one is discrediting the Hawks whatsoever it's more of a celebration that the Avs have been able to turn things around in a huge way. Most fans are just happy we're making the playoffs and no one, even Avs fans, think Colorado has a better shot at the cup then Chicago. Give some credit where it's due geez.

Btw, we're still waiting to "fall back down to earth".
He is the one who brought the Blackhawks into it. He could have just made a thread about how the Avalanche are on pace for 113 points or whatever.

The Avalanche are having an amazing season and will be a tough matchup in the first round. The Blackhawks are still a superior team. We have a lot more to go on than blind standings.

skiba77777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:30 PM
skiba77777

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEEROLE Vatanen View Post
agreed, greatest 1 goal tournament of all time
Probably. Did you watch the tournament? He was everywhere, Canada just had trouble finishing every game.

Old
03-16-2014, 11:33 PM
Tralfamadore
Don't Panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiba77777 View Post
He is the one who brought the Blackhawks into it. He could have just made a thread about how the Avalanche are on pace for 113 points or whatever.

The Avalanche are having an amazing season and will be a tough matchup in the first round. The Blackhawks are still a superior team. We have a lot more to go on than blind standings.
The Blackhawks were brought up as a point of comparison because they are such a great team but as I'm typing this Colorado is ahead of them in the standings.

Tralfamadore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:36 PM
skiba77777

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintersej View Post
Chicago is clearly coasting through the regular season a bit here and relying on an insane amount of loser points. They only have 2 more ROW than freaking Montreal, and they are clearly a way better team than that.

That being said, sometimes that playoff ON switch doesn't turn on when you want it to and Chicago fans should be a little more concerned than they are.
Their goal differential is still +52. They've outchanced their opponents by a wide margin all year long, but have struggled to get that big goal at the end of games.

Considering we know this team can finish, I'd be a lot more worried if they were getting outplayed every night but relying on experience to close out games.

I think other teams are hungrier for regular season wins and are more likely to be killing themselves for it. I'm not saying the Hawks aren't trying, but it's hard to expect them to be at full intensity for regular season games at this point.

Old
03-16-2014, 11:37 PM
skiba77777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfamadore View Post
The Blackhawks were brought up as a point of comparison because they are such a great team but as I'm typing this Colorado is ahead of them in the standings.
Well if he didn't want people to share their opinions on that comparison he shouldn't have brought it up.

Old
03-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Muffin
Avalanche Flavoured

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyFault View Post
Avs should be thankful they have Varlamov. That's really the big clear advantage between them in the Hawks.
Hawks should be thankful they have Toews. That's really the big clear advantage between them and the Avs

See what I did there?

Muffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Avs44

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiba77777 View Post
Well if he didn't want people to share their opinions on that comparison he shouldn't have brought it up.
The OP is a Ducks fan, he is just pointing out a fact. Are you truly so insecure that you don't like the fact that someone pointed that out(based off of your previous posts in the Avs GDTs after the Avs beat the Hawks you are, but that's beside the point)?

I don't think any sane Avs fan truly thinks the Avs are better than the Hawks. The Avs are having a fantastic year while the Hawks just seem to be coasting and nobody can truly say they are better than the Hawks(IMO) until they beat them in the playoffs. No need to get upset just because you don't like the title which reflects the current regular season standings.

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:55 PM
PatriceBergeronFan
Dismayed B's Fan

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyMo35 View Post
I highly doubt the Hawks care where they finish in the regular season. I'm sure they'd rather have home ice in the first round, and they'll do everything they can to take the division still, but I doubt they will lose any sleep if they don't pull it off. The Avs turnaround is nothing short of spectacular. I'd love to see a playoff series between the Hawks and Avs. That has potential to be a very exciting series.
We are hopefully going to be able to watch some very good playoff hockey this year.

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:56 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

I was going to act like it, but after seeing this thread, I feel guilty...

Romang67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2014, 11:56 PM
KingKopitar11*

Yes.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:00 AM
skiba77777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs44 View Post
The OP is a Ducks fan, he is just pointing out a fact. Are you truly so insecure that you don't like the fact that someone pointed that out(based off of your previous posts in the Avs GDTs after the Avs beat the Hawks you are, but that's beside the point)?

I don't think any sane Avs fan truly thinks the Avs are better than the Hawks. The Avs are having a fantastic year while the Hawks just seem to be coasting and nobody can truly say they are better than the Hawks(IMO) until they beat them in the playoffs. No need to get upset just because you don't like the title which reflects the current regular season standings.
Who is mad? People are in a Chicago/Colorado thread complaining that people are comparing Chicago and Colorado.

Old
03-17-2014, 12:04 AM
skiba77777

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin View Post
Hawks should be thankful they have Toews. That's really the big clear advantage between them and the Avs

See what I did there?
Are we just going to pretend like defense doesn't exist? Blackhawks have a much better defense.

Old
03-17-2014, 12:05 AM
The Kingslayer

Avs falling back down to earth any time now.

The Kingslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:07 AM
skiba77777

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Avs falling back down to earth any time now.
Probably. They'll be really good in the future but I don't see them with 110+ points again next season. That's really hard to do.

Old
03-17-2014, 12:11 AM
TurdFerguson

The only reason people aren't talking more about it is because fans of neither team only need to think about facing one of them since they'll play against each other, and most assume the Hawks will win. This appears to be one of the early drawbacks of this playoff format, it reduces excitement because match-ups can be decided so early.

As for whether people are justified in dismissing the Avs chances against the Hawks, I think whoever is healthier will win, if both are healthy, I take the Hawks.

TurdFerguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 12:11 AM
zytz
lumberjack

are we gonna act like everyone isn't legit surprised to see the Avs in a playoff spot?

don't get me wrong, I like the team, even if they have been crushing the Hawks all year long. it's good to see them bounce back, but honestly I think most folks had them pegged for another year or two of growing up before they started finding success. Roy has done a terrific job, and Varly also

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote