HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Do not feed the trolls, boys & girls

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-02-2003, 07:43 AM
  #1
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,112
vCash: 500
Do not feed the trolls, boys & girls

A since-deleted post was posted here by a troll last night, and virtually the entire board jumped on his little thread and made it a problem. Trolls are nothing more than a nuisance if nobody responds, but WE make them problems by responding to them.

Make life easier on us all and do not feed the trolls.

Mizral is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 08:07 AM
  #2
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
A since-deleted post was posted here by a troll last night, and virtually the entire board jumped on his little thread and made it a problem. Trolls are nothing more than a nuisance if nobody responds, but WE make them problems by responding to them.

Make life easier on us all and do not feed the trolls.
Not to be overly critical here, but had the situation been dealt with by the moderators earlier I don't think it would have gotten out of hand. Kurupt had been trolling the Canucks board for several days and it was apparent that his only intention was to post garbage here. I suspect that the fact that he was allowed to continue for so long contributed to a lot of posters' frustrations, which is probably why he got so many responses. He should have been kicked off after the first couple threads he posted to join his pal (alias?) "Burnaby Joe".

colonel_korn is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 08:13 AM
  #3
Jewelly
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Guilty of feeding the troll.

I couldn't help it though b/c this board has become somewhat 'uptight' lately and I was in need of some fun.

 
Old
10-02-2003, 08:16 AM
  #4
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
Guilty of feeding the troll.

I couldn't help it though b/c this board has become somewhat 'uptight' lately and I was in need of some fun.
Hehe, you should have seen the stream of profanity I let loose on that guy a couple nights ago. It's gone now though. I'm kinda surprised I'm still around.

colonel_korn is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 09:16 AM
  #5
nucks2001
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
Not to be overly critical here, but had the situation been dealt with by the moderators earlier I don't think it would have gotten out of hand. Kurupt had been trolling the Canucks board for several days and it was apparent that his only intention was to post garbage here. I suspect that the fact that he was allowed to continue for so long contributed to a lot of posters' frustrations, which is probably why he got so many responses. He should have been kicked off after the first couple threads he posted to join his pal (alias?) "Burnaby Joe".
I tend to agree with this. He had been trolling for quite a while and most people were just ignoring him. Everyone just eventually got sick of him and hence the thread that had been deleted. He has been doing this for over 2 weeks at least and I would imagine everyone has had enough

 
Old
10-02-2003, 09:42 AM
  #6
MVP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
Guilty of feeding the troll.

I couldn't help it though b/c this board has become somewhat 'uptight' lately and I was in need of some fun.


I think the "uptight" tension is the result of two different groups of loyal Canucks fans on this board are growing further apart due to different of viewpoint.



This Kurupt is totally another story.

MVP is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 10:07 AM
  #7
TonyTanti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
Guilty of feeding the troll.

I couldn't help it though b/c this board has become somewhat 'uptight' lately and I was in need of some fun.
No kidding, can people here handle a joke or an opinion that doesn't jive with theirs?

Edited to add smiley

TonyTanti is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 10:18 AM
  #8
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,697
vCash: 500
Since when did this become a "bash the Canucks' board" thread?

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 10:19 AM
  #9
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhockey1
You guys compain about everything, i grew up on the island, and this is my honest opinion canucks fans are the most biast fansn in the league.
And you came up with that oppinion by living around the fans of all 30 teams? Wow, you must've done a lot of traveling!

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 10:21 AM
  #10
MVP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Since when did this become a "bash the Canucks' board" thread?

See that is the problem though don't your think. i think most of the posts on this thread have been very honest opinion by the posters with no negative feeling intented, but since there is a difference of opinion, the people with different viewpoint will be look at as "Bash the Canucks".

MVP is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 10:48 AM
  #11
TonyTanti
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 173
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhockey1
This is to better griffiths, when you make sense and read a message properly then will talk hockey, we should be able to bicker in an appropriate manner and not slam each other, some cant do that. Make a post against me on the flyers board and youll get the reaction your looking for!
OK let's take it slow so you can follow along.

It's Peter not better.

when you make sense and read a messge properly then will talk hockey.

Pot. Kettle. Black.

your and you're are different words with different meanings. Say hi to your english teacher for me.

TonyTanti is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 10:56 AM
  #12
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?
 
colonel_korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: St John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,362
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhockey1
You guys compain about everything, i grew up on the island, and this is my honest opinion canucks fans are the most biast fansn in the league. You call this person down and brag about calling him a troll, as far as i can see your a troll for having double standards like that. Then again what should i expect on this board!
Speaking of trolls, you and your pal hexxy27 are the TweedleDum and TweedleDumber of HF. Please never post on the Canucks board again as neither of you have ever had anything to contribute in the way of meaningful discussion.

colonel_korn is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:06 AM
  #13
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
See that is the problem though don't your think. i think most of the posts on this thread have been very honest opinion by the posters with no negative feeling intented, but since there is a difference of opinion, the people with different viewpoint will be look at as "Bash the Canucks".
MVP,

I am a very optimistic fan, but this is one moderator who will NEVER allow dissenting view points to be banned. There are other boards like this, that ban anybody with even a hint of bad things to say about the home team. You won't see me doing it. I'm pretty sure I can speak for Kirk & Nalyd here, too. Feel free to be the dissenting voice.

Colonel,

Yeah, I know what you mean. Honestly, this is the first time I've seen Kurupt post. I wasn't on much last night, so I can't say I saw it and did nothing about it. With 3 moderators, we are pretty active, but there are times when the 3 of us aren't online now and then. You guys have to cut us some slack here.

jrhockey,

You're pushing it. You can post here, but don't be antagonistic.

Mizral is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:09 AM
  #14
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhockey1
This is to better griffiths, when you make sense and read a message properly then will talk hockey, we should be able to bicker in an appropriate manner and not slam each other, some cant do that. Make a post against me on the flyers board and youll get the reaction your looking for!
What? You're not making sense, I'm not sure that I'll be able to talk hockey with you until you learn how to type properly.


As for your previous post, you stated that you developed an opinion ,when living on Vancouver Island, that the Canucks fans were the most biased(notice the proper spelling of the word biased) in the league. Unless you've lived around the fans of every NHL team, that isn't saying much for your "honest opinion"...

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:13 AM
  #15
MVP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
MVP,

I am a very optimistic fan, but this is one moderator who will NEVER allow dissenting view points to be banned. There are other boards like this, that ban anybody with even a hint of bad things to say about the home team. You won't see me doing it. I'm pretty sure I can speak for Kirk & Nalyd here, too. Feel free to be the dissenting voice.

Thank you, i feel like there are a lot of quality Canucks posters on this board, but i am just afraid that we will soon have the reputation of the Habs fans due to over passional about the team, however, i think maybe as the team becomes contentors that is just a normal process within the fan base, such like the Habs, Avs and Lakers of the past.

MVP is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:13 AM
  #16
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
See that is the problem though don't your think. i think most of the posts on this thread have been very honest opinion by the posters with no negative feeling intented, but since there is a difference of opinion, the people with different viewpoint will be look at as "Bash the Canucks".
I agree, most of the posts have been productive. My comments were directed mostly at the "troll"...I have no problem with dissenting comments, but if they are unwarranted, what's the point?

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:18 AM
  #17
nucks2001
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
so people comming in and saying how much Canucks fans suck etc is okay? Cool, I'll start doing that on other boards.

 
Old
10-02-2003, 11:18 AM
  #18
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
What? You're not making sense, I'm not sure that I'll be able to talk hockey with you until you learn how to type properly.


As for your previous post, you stated that you developed an opinion ,when living on Vancouver Island, that the Canucks fans were the most biased(notice the proper spelling of the word biased) in the league. Unless you've lived around the fans of every NHL team, that isn't saying much for your "honest opinion"...
Peter, you win the award of 'Feeding the trolls in a 'Don't Feed The Trolls' thread

Mizral is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:19 AM
  #19
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin

As for your previous post, you stated that you developed an opinion ,when living on Vancouver Island, that the Canucks fans were the most biased(notice the proper spelling of the word biased) in the league. Unless you've lived around the fans of every NHL team, that isn't saying much for your "honest opinion"...
you wanna see bias fans... spend a little time in TO!

I wouldn't call fans in Vancouver any more biased than fans in other places.... but I do think there are a high number (comparitively) of bandwagon fans in Vancouver....

when the team is playing great, they're packing the garage... when they're sucking - and it won't take long - they'll find other things to follow...

in Toronto, you can pretty much gaurentee that they'll support the team... they may hate the direction or the coach (and they aren't big fans of Quinn right now), but the support won't die off as easily...

even in Calgary, after 7 non-playoff years, with only a fool's hope given by the team, they still get lots of support.... if the Canucks missed the playoffs for 7 years ... well, they wouldn't miss the playoffs for 7 years, because after 4 or 5 straight they'd be in the relocated to somewhere in the States.

NFITO is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:22 AM
  #20
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
Peter, you win the award of 'Feeding the trolls in a 'Don't Feed The Trolls' thread
Yay! But to be fair, I wasn't around last night to participate in the other thread...

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:24 AM
  #21
Peter Griffin
Registered User
 
Peter Griffin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,697
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
you wanna see bias fans... spend a little time in TO!

I wouldn't call fans in Vancouver any more biased than fans in other places.... but I do think there are a high number (comparitively) of bandwagon fans in Vancouver....

when the team is playing great, they're packing the garage... when they're sucking - and it won't take long - they'll find other things to follow...

in Toronto, you can pretty much gaurentee that they'll support the team... they may hate the direction or the coach (and they aren't big fans of Quinn right now), but the support won't die off as easily...

even in Calgary, after 7 non-playoff years, with only a fool's hope given by the team, they still get lots of support.... if the Canucks missed the playoffs for 7 years ... well, they wouldn't miss the playoffs for 7 years, because after 4 or 5 straight they'd be in the relocated to somewhere in the States.
I agree, Vancouver has quite a bit of bandwagon fans, but so do a lot of teams. Even Montreal has their fair share of bandwagoners.

Peter Griffin is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:28 AM
  #22
MVP
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 2,627
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
I wouldn't call fans in Vancouver any more biased than fans in other places.... but I do think there are a high number (comparitively) of bandwagon fans in Vancouver....

Great point, that is one of the problems i see. Unfortunately, there is nothing that the moderator can do about it, i mean the bandwagon fan still has the freedom of express their opinion, but they are often not very knowlegable and taken away some of the more meaningful discussion.

MVP is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:32 AM
  #23
KOMO_ROCKS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Richmond, B.C
Posts: 4,788
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Great point, that is one of the problems i see. Unfortunately, there is nothing that the moderator can do about it, i mean the bandwagon fan still has the freedom of express their opinion, but they are often not very knowlegable and taken away some of the more meaningful discussion.
Yep, it is often very clear to see who is a bandwagon fan and who is a true/loyal fan. Like you said, they still have freedoms of expression in voicing their opinion...but their credibility as a poster may be questioned

KOMO_ROCKS is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:34 AM
  #24
Jewelly
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Look! Suddenly we have new emoticons, this should clear up all misunderstandings from here on in. lol

:spam: :devious:

 
Old
10-02-2003, 11:35 AM
  #25
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,854
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVP
Great point, that is one of the problems i see. Unfortunately, there is nothing that the moderator can do about it, i mean the bandwagon fan still has the freedom of express their opinion, but they are often not very knowlegable and taken away some of the more meaningful discussion.
I don't know... I didn't really think about that comment reflective of fans that come to this board (those that are pro or anti-Canuck)... moreso as a response to the comments about bias fans in Vancouver that the poster (jrhockey) had met or been around...

I don't know how many bandwagon fans actually come on hockey boards... most fans that spend time on boards like this discussing hockey, I wouldn't really label as "bandwagon," rather most of them (us) are probably diehards.

NFITO is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.