HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Do not feed the trolls, boys & girls

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 11:37 AM
Peter Griffin

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelly
Look! Suddenly we have new emoticons:

:spam: :devious:

ooooohhhhh.....aahhhhhhh. So pretty!

Need to argue, lowering. Lowering. Lowering. RISING. Lowering. Gone.

:rocket:

Old
10-02-2003, 01:59 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
Not to be overly critical here, but had the situation been dealt with by the moderators earlier I don't think it would have gotten out of hand. Kurupt had been trolling the Canucks board for several days and it was apparent that his only intention was to post garbage here. I suspect that the fact that he was allowed to continue for so long contributed to a lot of posters' frustrations, which is probably why he got so many responses. He should have been kicked off after the first couple threads he posted to join his pal (alias?) "Burnaby Joe".
i am going to agree with this as well. nothing was done and it was getting to the point where i had to write complaints to admins which i hate doing.

it started out subtle, then every second thread was destroyed when the poster found out he could get away with just about anything. when his activity increased, and users were forced to view it over and over, they lose their ability to bite their tongue.

if you notice, nobody really fueled his trolling until he was posting garbage in every post.

Old
10-02-2003, 02:13 PM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhockey1
You guys compain about everything, i grew up on the island, and this is my honest opinion canucks fans are the most biast fansn in the league. You call this person down and brag about calling him a troll, as far as i can see your a troll for having double standards like that. Then again what should i expect on this board!
if you were here to see Kurupt's posts i doubt you'd be saying this. it is obvious his intents were never to participate in discussion, rather to start up trash talking. if i was to go to the board of your favorite team, and call your GM and best players names in threads that had nothing to do about it, i'm sure you wouldn't appreciate it very much either. if there was a thread about Burke, and Kurupt said he didn't like Burke because he thinks he whines too much... that would be fine. opinions are opinions. however, when there's a thread about who has impressed you from camp, and he uses that thread to bash Burke and other Canucks, then it becomes trolling.

he has made fun of Burke, Bertuzzi, our 2001 playoff loss to Colorado, the Sedins, etc in threads about:

- The CBA
- Player impressions in the pre-season
- Prospects
- Press conference about lotto tickets

he didn't do it in an opinionative manor either. "Bertuzzi is a big cry baby and so is his GM" as a post in threads like CBA talks deffinately aren't of a classy taste. there is no doubt Kurupt was trolling.

if you would frequent the Canucks board you'd find out in a hurry that we are one of the most hospitible sections of this board. we frequently involve and invite fans from other teams in game night threads and chats when we play against them, and we always get along quite well.

the thing that sets hfboards above the other's is it's sense of community. posters like Kurupt just lower the standards and degrade the forum.

Old
10-02-2003, 02:13 PM
Jon Burke

vCash:
For a fan of a team not to be biased is a very rare thing. I think all of us have rose-colored sunglasses when it comes to evaluating the Canucks. We can try to think about think about something objectively, but I really think that as Canuck fans we'll always be biased about our team. And so will every other fan of hockey.

And another thing, I don't know if it's appropriate to associate poor spelling with a lack of intelligence in hockey. I'm not going to start ranting on the subject, but the fact of the matter is that spelling has NOTHING to do with hockey intelligence. It does affect the quality and "readability" of someone's post, but the two are not linked in any way.

And how do you feed a troll? Clear this up for me so I don't. Is it if you get all cranky at them, or if you scold them or if you just respond in general?

Old
10-02-2003, 02:30 PM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik

And another thing, I don't know if it's appropriate to associate poor spelling with a lack of intelligence in hockey. I'm not going to start ranting on the subject, but the fact of the matter is that spelling has NOTHING to do with hockey intelligence.
Well there goes my job.

Really though, I think people in general are quite tolerant of others' spelling/grammar mistakes; we all make them.

It's when someone is obviously stopping by to bash rather than take part in the discussion that we tend to pick on their spelling/grammar mistakes.

I mean there's plenty of posters who are knowlegable, add to the topic and their writing skills aren't that great but no one mentions anything b/c we know their intentions are good and that's all that really matters.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:01 PM
maruk14

I think it is pretty simple. This is a discussion board about hockey. This is not a discussion board about hockey fans. Talk about the games, the teams, the players, etc. When that line is crossed and the discussion swings to another teams fans then the quality of a board goes downhill real fast. I would hate to see this board go that route. I have quit posting on other sites when it became nothing more than flame wars between opposing teams fans, and I gravitated to this board because there is usually a common respect between fans overall. We talk about each other teams, but usually save the "----- fans this", and "----- fans that" for other sites. Hopefully it stays that way.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:03 PM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danrik
And how do you feed a troll? Clear this up for me so I don't. Is it if you get all cranky at them, or if you scold them or if you just respond in general?
For me it's if you just respond in general. If they are ignored completely they go away real fast because all they want to do is draw you into a pissing match and get a reaction.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:17 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Sorry, but I agree 100% with cyrisweb...

Kurupt was trolling for at least 5 days before a Mod finally acted. It got out of hand because:

A)Nothing happened to him...he was allowed to post too long
B)People got fed up with the lack of mod response and tried to take matters into their own hands-which only made it worse, because Kurupt was finally getting what he apparently wanted-a name-calling war.

I don't mean to be critical, I honestly think Miz, Kirk and Nalyd have always done a great job "policing" the board, and only step in when necesary. Hopefully we can do a better job of ignoring these simpleton's from now on

Old
10-02-2003, 04:18 PM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14
I think it is pretty simple. This is a discussion board about hockey. This is not a discussion board about hockey fans. Talk about the games, the teams, the players, etc. When that line is crossed and the discussion swings to another teams fans then the quality of a board goes downhill real fast. I would hate to see this board go that route. I have quit posting on other sites when it became nothing more than flame wars between opposing teams fans, and I gravitated to this board because there is usually a common respect between fans overall. We talk about each other teams, but usually save the "----- fans this", and "----- fans that" for other sites. Hopefully it stays that way.
Great points Maruk... I think that about sums it up.

I'm notorious for 'teasing' opposing posters but to me it's all in good fun; I never take it seriously. I do agree however that responding to such posters does add fuel to the fire.

Shame on me.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:37 PM
Hobo

vCash:
There is a huge amount of disrespect for other posters in general out there - these HF boards are much better than most - so I agree don't feed the Trolls - but be careful: "Burke is an idiot" (not my opinion - actually I think he has done a great job) is a slightly relevant post to most threads, even though it may be ignorant and repetitive. BTW nobody will miss that particular Avs fan.

He is not worthy, unlike Nazzy

Old
10-02-2003, 04:37 PM
quat
intheDanRusseljungle

Send a message via ICQ to quat
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
you wanna see bias fans... spend a little time in TO!

I wouldn't call fans in Vancouver any more biased than fans in other places.... but I do think there are a high number (comparitively) of bandwagon fans in Vancouver....

when the team is playing great, they're packing the garage... when they're sucking - and it won't take long - they'll find other things to follow...

in Toronto, you can pretty much gaurentee that they'll support the team... they may hate the direction or the coach (and they aren't big fans of Quinn right now), but the support won't die off as easily...

even in Calgary, after 7 non-playoff years, with only a fool's hope given by the team, they still get lots of support.... if the Canucks missed the playoffs for 7 years ... well, they wouldn't miss the playoffs for 7 years, because after 4 or 5 straight they'd be in the relocated to somewhere in the States.
Wellllll I dunno know about the last bit there NFTO.... The Canucks have sucked for the majority of their 30 plus years, while the Flames were a great team for years before winning the SC. They went down hill since then, but if you are comparing the two franchises, I'd say the Flames have done infinitely more than the Canucks, and our Fans have suffered a great deal more without ever getting much back in the way of success. I've read many posts and articles by Canuck fans saying they would do absolutely anything (giving up limbs!), for Vancouver to bring home a cup... including still supporting the team if they sucked for years after.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo
There is a huge amount of disrespect for other posters in general out there - these HF boards are much better than most - so I agree don't feed the Trolls - but be careful: "Burke is an idiot" (not my opinion - actually I think he has done a great job) is a slightly relevant post to most threads, even though it may be ignorant and repetitive. BTW nobody will miss that particular Avs fan.

He is not worthy, unlike Nazzy
Welcome to the asylum.

Old
10-02-2003, 04:41 PM
LaVal

Quote:
but be careful: "Burke is an idiot" (not my opinion - actually I think he has done a great job) is a slightly relevant post to most threads
using that logic you can relate anything hockey related to any thread. bashing Burke on discussions of the CBA, player impressions at camp, etc are all unrelated and were done so in an unrelated manor.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:20 PM
Hobo

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVal575
using that logic you can relate anything hockey related to any thread. bashing Burke on discussions of the CBA, player impressions at camp, etc are all unrelated and were done so in an unrelated manor.
I don't disagree. If it were my call I would prefer to cut alot of slack for barely relevant posts. This isn't the United Nations discussing what country to blow up next.

Kurupt's posts are undefendable anyway - imagine sitting on a plane next to that! Yikes!

Old
10-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
I don't disagree. If it were my call I would prefer to cut alot of slack for barely relevant posts. This isn't the United Nations discussing what country to blow up next.

Kurupt's posts are undefendable anyway - imagine sitting on a plane next to that! Yikes!
You are the first person to use the 'banana man' on this board... congratulations. I'm sure many faithful will follow.

Old
10-02-2003, 07:37 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*

Old
10-02-2003, 07:41 PM
nuksforlife

Send a message via MSN to nuksforlife
hOW DO U DO THE BANANA'S?

Old
10-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Ironchef Chris Wok*

Send a message via ICQ to Ironchef Chris Wok*
Quote:
Guilty of feeding the troll.

I couldn't help it though b/c this board has become somewhat 'uptight' lately and I was in need of some fun.
I so nailed him good w/ taht your momma joke.

Old
10-03-2003, 01:19 AM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuksforlife
hOW DO U DO THE BANANA'S?
Check the list of emoticons... HF added a whole 'bunch' more. lol

Old
10-04-2003, 12:10 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Check the list of emoticons... HF added a whole 'bunch' more. lol
They've been removed now!

Edit: posting the url of the image still works though

Old
10-04-2003, 06:17 AM
Jewelly

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn
They've been removed now!

Edit: posting the url of the image still works though

Banana power is gone.

Bring back the banana.

Testing url:

I wonder if HF will add some more emoticons again. I liked some of them but the Rambo guy and marshmallows had to go.

Old
10-05-2003, 09:30 AM
g0dlike

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
MVP,

I am a very optimistic fan, but this is one moderator who will NEVER allow dissenting view points to be banned. There are other boards like this, that ban anybody with even a hint of bad things to say about the home team. You won't see me doing it. I'm pretty sure I can speak for Kirk & Nalyd here, too. Feel free to be the dissenting voice.

Colonel,

Yeah, I know what you mean. Honestly, this is the first time I've seen Kurupt post. I wasn't on much last night, so I can't say I saw it and did nothing about it. With 3 moderators, we are pretty active, but there are times when the 3 of us aren't online now and then. You guys have to cut us some slack here.

jrhockey,

You're pushing it. You can post here, but don't be antagonistic.
It's administrator remarks like these, that have made me come to these boards less and less. If someone wants to troll, buck up and ignore him, or get into a flame war with the troll. Why should it be an admin's divine right to delete a troll post? An admin should make sure that offensive, ignorant (read: racist, sexist, over the line sexual remarks) are deleted and not read. I find that there are too many "You be careful or you'll be banned" remarks from the admin's here. Boards like these are moderated because people don't like spam, or don't want to see the ignorant crap that makes it's way on to Usenet. If people here can't handle a troll that says, "Jovo is crappy", then they really need to grow up and not take life so seriously. Why can't someone be antagonistic? What gives you the right as a mod to stop them from starting a hockey argument? If people don't want to reply or "feed the trolls" they shouldn't. Censorship sucks, man. And for you to 'warn' someone that they are 'pushing it', that's BS.

Old
10-05-2003, 10:43 AM
LaVal

Quote:
Originally Posted by g0dlike
It's administrator remarks like these, that have made me come to these boards less and less. If someone wants to troll, buck up and ignore him, or get into a flame war with the troll. Why should it be an admin's divine right to delete a troll post? An admin should make sure that offensive, ignorant (read: racist, sexist, over the line sexual remarks) are deleted and not read. I find that there are too many "You be careful or you'll be banned" remarks from the admin's here. Boards like these are moderated because people don't like spam, or don't want to see the ignorant crap that makes it's way on to Usenet. If people here can't handle a troll that says, "Jovo is crappy", then they really need to grow up and not take life so seriously. Why can't someone be antagonistic? What gives you the right as a mod to stop them from starting a hockey argument? If people don't want to reply or "feed the trolls" they shouldn't. Censorship sucks, man. And for you to 'warn' someone that they are 'pushing it', that's BS.
there is a difference between someone posting "jovo is crappy" in a thread, and using every single thread that doesn't even involve Jovanovski to trash talk him for the lone purpose of making other poster's visit here less enjoyable.

- posting "I don't think Jovanovski is a good player, and here's why..." in a thread about say Canucks defense, or Jovanovski in general
- posting "You Canucks fans suck because you think Jovanovski is good and he sucks" in a thread about the impending CBA

now you can't tell me that you can't tell the difference between which one of those statements is an actual opinionated argument, and which is a blatent attempt at trolling.

what is he doing? using a common stereotyped trait in a hateful manor. so using your logic there should be no editing or deletion of things such as racism.

bottom line is anybody that comes here solely to lessen other people's enjoyment should be dealt with.

Old
10-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Waveburner
RIP Luc

Quote:
Censorship? It's called wasting people's time. If you don't like it, there are about 10000000000 other message boards that allow people to be as obnoxious as they want. Go to one of those. If you enjoy reading repetitive, pointless banter, I am sure the internet can provide that for you. Just don't encourage it to come here.

Old
10-05-2003, 01:23 PM
cc

Quote:
if posts from trollers become tolerated, it's a slippery slope that will lead to more and more of this kind of behavior and pretty soon, all you will see on other teams boards are trash talk that will flood the team boards with utterly useless antagonisms with nothing constructive being contributed.
I tolerate and ignore trollers, but I can see that letting statements meant to antagonize fans just leads to trouble..

Closed Thread