HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Purinton

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-01-2003, 06:11 PM
  #1
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,533
vCash: 500
Purinton

I dont know how you guys feel, but I think Dale is playing like crap. Not to say "I told you so," but weren't people on this board talking about Purinton being a top 4 defender? I gotta be honest, I have no problem with him as a 7th d-man, but I really don't want him to play 70 plus games this year. Id rather see Tyutin get some games at the NHL level. Even though hes young, he is playing a much better game then Dale right now. God forbid Leetch doesnt come back for awhile Id feel much more comfortable with Tyutin playing 17-20 min then Purinton, you could always send him down when Brian gets back... just so long as you dont send him back and forth 8 times. I like Dale, but hes not getting it done, so bring on Fedor.

Barnaby is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 06:29 PM
  #2
#37-#93-#27*
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 3,079
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I dont know how you guys feel, but I think Dale is playing like crap. Not to say "I told you so," but weren't people on this board talking about Purinton being a top 4 defender? I gotta be honest, I have no problem with him as a 7th d-man, but I really don't want him to play 70 plus games this year. Id rather see Tyutin get some games at the NHL level. Even though hes young, he is playing a much better game then Dale right now. God forbid Leetch doesnt come back for awhile Id feel much more comfortable with Tyutin playing 17-20 min then Purinton, you could always send him down when Brian gets back... just so long as you dont send him back and forth 8 times. I like Dale, but hes not getting it done, so bring on Fedor.
I agree with you. I've never liked Dale. Even when he played well during that stretch last year, I thought his play was being blown out of proportion. He has never impressed me.

#37-#93-#27* is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 07:11 PM
  #3
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck
 
donpaulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: nihon
Country: Japan
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
as long as you expect dale to clear the crease, take the body and hopefully avoid the penalty box you get what you want.
If you expect him to make the tape to tape pass or skate the puck out of the zone then you will be unhappy with the results.
Dale is a physical player, the knock on him was taking stupid minors. Assuming he does that I can see him being an important part of the rangers blueline, he is in no way a top 4 dman.

donpaulo is offline  
Old
10-01-2003, 08:27 PM
  #4
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,533
vCash: 500
taking the body and clearing the crease is terrific... if your quick and smart enough to be there when it needs to be done.

Barnaby is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 04:29 AM
  #5
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,054
vCash: 500
Who said anything about being a top 4? He CAN be a capable #6. Last night the goal that was scored when he was on the ice was when he had 2 people around him. The replay clearly showed the forward initially picking up the player and then letting him go. Thus Dale winds up w/ 2 people to defend. The question should be is why did the Rangers forward who initially picked up the Devils player then let him go?

Dale also made a nice play when he got back in time to lift Rupp's stick to prevent another goal.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 04:36 AM
  #6
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
It's not Dale from last year. That's a point no one can argue. If that level of play earns you a spot in our top 6, this team is doomed.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 04:42 AM
  #7
Davisian
Registered User
 
Davisian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Endicott
Posts: 6,074
vCash: 500
I don't recall anyone suggesting he could be come a top 4 guy, but I and many others thought that if he made the same strides in his play this year, as he has in previous years, then he'd command a full time job as the 5th to 7th..

But I don't think he has made another jump in play from what I've seen thus far, so now I'd consider him more of a 7th to 9th..

He'd definitely get picked up if left unprotected, he's a good guy to have around, and he can fill in when need be as long as he's not counted on for much, but I'd agree that the team's in trouble if he has to play any kind of big time role..

Davisian is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 04:45 AM
  #8
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisian
But I don't think he has made another jump in play from what I've seen thus far
Even I have to admit that his play, from what little I've seen so far, is not indicative that he made a similar jump as he did from 2 years ago to last year. Maybe it's a slow camp, or maybe it's that he cannot progress anymore. Only time will tell. Not like Poti or the M&M boys have looked stellar so far.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 05:10 AM
  #9
kazo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 959
vCash: 500
I got no problem repacing Dale. But if you do replace him you better have another tough, physical defenseman whose not afraid to get a bloody nose if need be waiting in the wings. Right now there's nobody on this roster who can get that done. Bobo ain't that guy.

kazo is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 06:32 AM
  #10
styles39
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Last night was the second preseason game I have seen thus far this year and I was absolutely disgusted in Puriton, Vlady and BoBo. Other than Vlady's goal, they were getting beaten all night. Yeah, Dale made a nice play on Rupp's stick, but anyone can do it and most defencemen wouldn't have been beaten. I was really impressed with Lindros' play, freight-training Marshall and Rupp and getting by Stevens on the outside instead of cutting to the middle. He also was in front of the net, looking for garbage goals and bothering Brodeur. MAybe he will be a different player this year, lets hope so.



Sigh a nar ah

 
Old
10-02-2003, 06:42 AM
  #11
oldtimer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BROOKLYN
Posts: 131
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
the M&M boys have looked stellar so far.
Are you kidding? I was at the game last night, and the M&M boys totally sucked! On for at least 2 against, and one giveaway leading directly to a goal. I hope you were being sarcastic.

On a slightly different topic, I notice Joel Bouchard is not being protected by Buffalo. I would take him back in a second, over either M.

oldtimer is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 08:02 AM
  #12
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimer
Are you kidding? I was at the game last night, and the M&M boys totally sucked! On for at least 2 against, and one giveaway leading directly to a goal. I hope you were being sarcastic.
Read my post again.

"Not like Poti or the M&M boys have looked stellar so far."

I agree. I think that the M&M boys have been pretty bad.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 08:13 AM
  #13
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
I think we all put WAY too much emphasis on the importance of guys like purinton & petrovicky whether it is good or bad...

reality is that if dale purinton is our biggest problem then we should be raising the stanley cup in june cause if we are focusing on the flaws of a 6/7 dman than that must mean that everything else is perfect...

and if there are other problems with lindros, kovalev, dunham, the pk, etc those issues overshadow purinton's play good or bad so much that it doesn't even matter

IMO the biggest problem with purinton's play is the fact that he isn't always the worst guy, you expect him to be the 6th guy so the REAL problem arises when others that should be 1-5 play worse than he does. i think if dale actually ends up being the 'weak link' that we'll be in pretty good shape compared to past years

NYR469 is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 08:24 AM
  #14
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
I think we all put WAY too much emphasis on the importance of guys like purinton & petrovicky whether it is good or bad...
When the level of anyone's play becomes a detriment to the team, then I'd say that person's play is pretty damn important.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 09:01 AM
  #15
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
klingsor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 14,106
vCash: 500
Silly question here, but is Dale playing on the right and Darius on the left?

Purinton played all last year on the left.

klingsor is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 10:13 AM
  #16
shmekel
Registered User
 
shmekel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Section 402
Country: United States
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I dont know how you guys feel, but I think Dale is playing like crap. Not to say "I told you so," but weren't people on this board talking about Purinton being a top 4 defender? I gotta be honest, I have no problem with him as a 7th d-man, but I really don't want him to play 70 plus games this year. Id rather see Tyutin get some games at the NHL level. Even though hes young, he is playing a much better game then Dale right now. God forbid Leetch doesnt come back for awhile Id feel much more comfortable with Tyutin playing 17-20 min then Purinton, you could always send him down when Brian gets back... just so long as you dont send him back and forth 8 times. I like Dale, but hes not getting it done, so bring on Fedor.
As much as I like him, I agree that Dale's a liability on defense. if it's a matter of him vs. Tjutin, then Tjutin is my choice hands down.

shmekel is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 10:20 AM
  #17
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmekel
if it's a matter of him vs. Tjutin, then Tjutin is my choice hands down.
Why? 'Cause Tyutin has been so impressive this camp? Tyutin had an impressive half a game against Boston. That's it. He came back down to Earth big time last night. Face it. The guy is NOT ready. Not to mention the fact that playing w/ the big club will preclude him from playing in the AHL next year when there is no NHL.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:13 AM
  #18
shmekel
Registered User
 
shmekel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Section 402
Country: United States
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Why? 'Cause Tyutin has been so impressive this camp? Tyutin had an impressive half a game against Boston. That's it. He came back down to Earth big time last night. Face it. The guy is NOT ready. Not to mention the fact that playing w/ the big club will preclude him from playing in the AHL next year when there is no NHL.
Tjutin "back down on Earth" still played better than Dale did, IMHO.

Now, allowing Tjutin to play in the AHL during a probable lockout is a whole other ball of wax, not to mention a very good point.

shmekel is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:15 AM
  #19
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Tyutin had an impressive half a game against Boston. That's it..
Well that's a 1/2 game more than Purinton's had this preseason. It was (is?) Dale's spot to lose and he's losing it. What's he doing to show that he belongs there and Fedor doesn't? Not much.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 11:29 AM
  #20
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
Well that's a 1/2 game more than Purinton's had this preseason. It was (is?) Dale's spot to lose and he's losing it. What's he doing to show that he belongs there and Fedor doesn't? Not much.
Can't really argue with that save for the fact that by playing Tyutin in the AHL this year,he can continue to develop there next year when ther is no NHL.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-02-2003, 05:23 PM
  #21
Barnaby
Registered User
 
Barnaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Port Jefferson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Can't really argue with that save for the fact that by playing Tyutin in the AHL this year,he can continue to develop there next year when ther is no NHL.
Out of curiosity, how many games could Fedor play for the Rangers until he became ineligable for Hartford?

Barnaby is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 06:01 AM
  #22
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Who said anything about being a top 4? He CAN be a capable #6. Last night the goal that was scored when he was on the ice was when he had 2 people around him. The replay clearly showed the forward initially picking up the player and then letting him go. Thus Dale winds up w/ 2 people to defend. The question should be is why did the Rangers forward who initially picked up the Devils player then let him go?

Dale also made a nice play when he got back in time to lift Rupp's stick to prevent another goal.
The replay clearly showed that Dale had the guy going to the net(Berglund) and released him in favor of trying to defend the guy still in the faceoff circle.Don't try and scapegoat Lundy on the play because if he failed to pickup somebody it was the guy in the faceoff circle.

Dale released his guy going to the net which is just ridiculous.I have the game on tape for anybody who wants to attempt to dispute any of this.

And as for the goal he "saved", how about it was a scenario he created by not being able to stick with his man going to the net again causing him to come in full force at the last second in an attempt to catch Rupp causing him to barrell over Dunny hard and akwardly.

And the other great play by Dale was him playing his usual backing in defense where he simply allowed Langer to just gain the zone with 5ft of room as Dale was just coasting backward as to not get toasted allowing Langer to get off the slapper with nobody even close to him.

But yeah, it's Mironov and Malakhov that need replacing.

JR#9* is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 06:17 AM
  #23
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,054
vCash: 500
JR, I already replied in another thread to this. But here we go again. The problem began when Lundmark released his man. That's the origin of the breakdown. He has to begin to take the blame for a poor defensive play. The problem then continued when Purinton moved up to take the man that Lundmark released. Sather's system calls for one of 2 things (not sure which). Either Dale was supposed to move up to pick up the man that Jaime released and Kasper was supposed to move and pick up Berglund or Dale should have never moved up. Neither you nor I know what Sather's "system" calls for.

"And as for the goal he "saved", how about it was a scenario he created by not being able to stick with his man going to the net again causing him to come in full force at the last second in an attempt to catch Rupp causing him to barrell over Dunny hard and akwardly."

Revisionist history. That WOULD be the way that YOU choose to see it as a Dale basher. I looked at it the other way as a Dale supporter.

"But yeah, it's Mironov and Malakhov that need replacing"

Bash Dale all you want, but that does not take the light off the fact that Bobo has had a HORRIBLE camp and him and Vlad looked simply awful the other night. Trupmet that Dale needs to be removed all you want, but please do not turn a blind eye to the fact that the M&M boys have been a horror show.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 06:29 AM
  #24
JR#9*
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,733
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
JR, I already replied in another thread to this. But here we go again. The problem began when Lundmark released his man. That's the origin of the breakdown. He has to begin to take the blame for a poor defensive play. The problem then continued when Purinton moved up to take the man that Lundmark released. Sather's system calls for one of 2 things (not sure which). Either Dale was supposed to move up to pick up the man that Jaime released and Kasper was supposed to move and pick up Berglund or Dale should have never moved up. Neither you nor I know what Sather's "system" calls for.

"And as for the goal he "saved", how about it was a scenario he created by not being able to stick with his man going to the net again causing him to come in full force at the last second in an attempt to catch Rupp causing him to barrell over Dunny hard and akwardly."

Revisionist history. That WOULD be the way that YOU choose to see it as a Dale basher. I looked at it the other way as a Dale supporter.

"But yeah, it's Mironov and Malakhov that need replacing"

Bash Dale all you want, but that does not take the light off the fact that Bobo has had a HORRIBLE camp and him and Vlad looked simply awful the other night. Trupmet that Dale needs to be removed all you want, but please do not turn a blind eye to the fact that the M&M boys have been a horror show.
It's Lundy's fault, or it could be Darius' fault or it could be Slats fault, ANYBODY but the guy who was 100% responsible for the guy that really is responsible for the fact that a man he was body to body with and released was standing infront of the net ALONE on his side of the ice.

When is it ever the defenseman's responsibility to take the guy in the faceoff circle when there is a guy going straight to the net on that guys side of the ice?What system would that be???

And Darius had a guy going to the net on HIS side of the ice.He accordinly moved over to HIS side and picked up that guy as he should.

As for the play where he barrelled over Dunny, did he not get beat to the front of the net by Rupp causing him to come barrelling in like an out of control bull in an attempt to recover, possibly causing injury to his own #1 goalie in a preseason game???

As I said, I have it all on tape and would gladly send it to ANYBODY who wants to dispute this is exactly how it went down.

JR#9* is offline  
Old
10-03-2003, 06:32 AM
  #25
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,054
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR#9
It's Lundy's fault, or it could be Darius' fault or it could be Slats fault, ANYBODY but the guy who was 100% responsible for the guy that really is responsible for the fact that a man he was body to body with and released was standing infront of the net ALONE on his side of the ice.
If we are going to argue about this, can we just do it in one thread instead of 2? I replied in the other one if you wish to continue.

True Blue is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.