HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais a legit #2 center. Part Deux

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2014, 12:03 AM
dreamingofdrouin*

vCash: 500

who...check out the buffalo goal by DD...the way he scored it and the time on the clock....its exactly like the ottawa game....erie

Old
03-17-2014, 12:07 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RISPEK View Post
Who says he can't? The National Hockey League says he can't because its never happened and never will.

I don't understand your second point. The chicago blackhawks had the lowest goals against and their two top line centers were toews and handzus---6'2, 208 and 6'5, 215.
I meant GA while on the ice. DD was best on the entire team last playoff with Eller out and pacioretty less than 100%.

His defensive game isn't great but it's average IMO. He hustles and works for the puck which has good results but in contrast he's small so it balances out to average/decent or whatever word you want to use.

Old
03-17-2014, 12:08 AM
PricePkPatch*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I meant GA while on the ice. DD was best on the entire team last playoff with Eller out and pacioretty less than 100%.
Well, I don;t think you can really bet on Eller's performance during last year's serie.

Old
03-17-2014, 12:10 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Well, I don;t think you can really bet on Eller's performance during last year's serie.
My point was without Eller there to play defensive role DD still managed to play well defensively.

Not a fluke either, to start year DD had little points but high FO % (was team leader) and also lead team in least GA while on the ice 5 on 5. So his defensive game is underrated but not great. Just I think he has the compete to hold his own, backchecks very hard.

Old
03-17-2014, 02:10 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Who said he can't? You know who had least GA while we got blown out last year's playoffs? Do I really need to say it?
you mean the P.O. we lost ?

yeah! great way of disproving his point.

Old
03-17-2014, 02:18 AM
HABS win CUPS*

aside from his point production his faceoff wins have been really solid this year

Old
03-17-2014, 02:36 AM
MasterDecoy
Lo Pan's lovechild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
you mean the P.O. we lost ?

yeah! great way of disproving his point.
maybe the team had bigger problems than little david

Old
03-17-2014, 02:45 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
maybe the team had bigger problems than little david
even if they wanted, Habd couldnt get smaller problems than DD that's for sure

Old
03-17-2014, 03:07 AM
Saundies

The guy's been playing well so yes, the contract is fair. It might be a year too long for my liking but if they can make it work so that Chucky finally gets a centre spot then I will be happy regardless. It sucks that it took him so long at the start of the year to finally get on track but he's been great ever since. I was just TO'ed at the start of the year because it looked like Eller was ready to bust out and yet DD was still getting the better starts/opportunities. Now that Eller has tailed off and DD has gotten back on track, the deal seems fine.

Yeah he didn't do great in the playoffs last year, but really who did outside of Gallagher/Galchenyuk/Subban? Can't write him off as an underperformer after one bad playoff year. Him, Patches, and Vanek is a dangerous line.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:06 AM
Winter Eclipse

Quote:
Who said he can't? You know who had least GA while we got blown out last year's playoffs? Do I really need to say it?
So he was our best defensive forward in the playoffs to you?

Old
03-17-2014, 07:11 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
If he continues to be a top 20 center in scoring as he's been the past four months...most teams would consider $3.5M as being a bargain. In talking with the Islanders' director of player development Eric Cairns a couple of weeks ago, he regrets having lost Desharnais few years ago, and thinks he's developed into a pretty decent NHLer. He likes Cammaratta..and compared him to DD...which he thinks would make him a helluva pick in the long run.

Some teams aren't going to be crazy about DD given his size, but if he fizzles in the playoffs and Bergy shops him at draft time I'm sure there'd be some teams interested in a player who was a top 20 center in points over the last 2/3 of the season.

I think Chuck needs to be a top two center next season..time to get some size/skill up the middle, regardless of what DD does in the playoffs.

If it's DD and Chucky as the top two next season..fine. It's time for Pleks to be the third line center. Eller? Either fourth line center or a switch to wing...I think he should be given a shot in the top-six on the wing next season. I'd give Bournival a full shot as fourth line center..have him mentor under Plekanec for the third-line center role.
Better trade him with Max then. DD is producing at a high clip because Max is producing at a 40 goal pace. What team would give up assets to make DD their top line center without Max? If DD can produce with other wingers at a good clip then the values is there. If he is a product of big players scoring at a ridiculous clip then that's a diff story. I don't like the length of the contract but since this organization sees him as a top line center (a mistake) then the deal is fine.

Playoffs will either cement DD as a top 2 line center or just a regular season performer who is a did in the playoffs. We shall see.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:14 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingofdrouin View Post
I'll admit a few month's ago I wanted him gone asap...thats the habs fan in all of us...jumping to conclusions...changing our minds over night...over reacting and just simply being bat **** crazy. Don't deny it...its true....we're ****ing nuts. But desharnais has been one of our best players recently....we played ****** today even though we won and i noticed DD the most....the guy just holds on to the puck when the rest of our forwards juggle it and bobble it to living hell....he's the only guy who can score in the shootout....and despite being 5'7 he does have tremendous heart......briere has to go...bouillon has to go...gionta has to go...but if we fill all those spots with appropriately sized players....i actually think theres a spot in this lineup for DD...especially for 3.5 mil and if he can recapture his 60 point season.
We finished at the bottom of the standings that season. I think loading up on DD does hamper the team. There is a happy medium somewhere.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:17 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saundies View Post
The guy's been playing well so yes, the contract is fair. It might be a year too long for my liking but if they can make it work so that Chucky finally gets a centre spot then I will be happy regardless. It sucks that it took him so long at the start of the year to finally get on track but he's been great ever since. I was just TO'ed at the start of the year because it looked like Eller was ready to bust out and yet DD was still getting the better starts/opportunities. Now that Eller has tailed off and DD has gotten back on track, the deal seems fine.

Yeah he didn't do great in the playoffs last year, but really who did outside of Gallagher/Galchenyuk/Subban? Can't write him off as an underperformer after one bad playoff year. Him, Patches, and Vanek is a dangerous line.
Last year wasn't his first playoffs

Old
03-17-2014, 07:39 AM
MXD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Better trade him with Max then. DD is producing at a high clip because Max is producing at a 40 goal pace. What team would give up assets to make DD their top line center without Max? If DD can produce with other wingers at a good clip then the values is there. If he is a product of big players scoring at a ridiculous clip then that's a diff story. I don't like the length of the contract but since this organization sees him as a top line center (a mistake) then the deal is fine.

Playoffs will either cement DD as a top 2 line center or just a regular season performer who is a did in the playoffs. We shall see.
If he doesn't cement his status as a top-2 lines center during these playoffs...

Well, he'll be one of our five so-called top-6 players who never established themselves as playoffs performers.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:57 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
If he continues to be a top 20 center in scoring as he's been the past four months...most teams would consider $3.5M as being a bargain. In talking with the Islanders' director of player development Eric Cairns a couple of weeks ago, he regrets having lost Desharnais few years ago, and thinks he's developed into a pretty decent NHLer. He likes Cammaratta..and compared him to DD...which he thinks would make him a helluva pick in the long run.

Some teams aren't going to be crazy about DD given his size, but if he fizzles in the playoffs and Bergy shops him at draft time I'm sure there'd be some teams interested in a player who was a top 20 center in points over the last 2/3 of the season.

I think Chuck needs to be a top two center next season..time to get some size/skill up the middle, regardless of what DD does in the playoffs.

If it's DD and Chucky as the top two next season..fine. It's time for Pleks to be the third line center. Eller? Either fourth line center or a switch to wing...I think he should be given a shot in the top-six on the wing next season. I'd give Bournival a full shot as fourth line center..have him mentor under Plekanec for the third-line center role.
This...

DD's good and he finally deserves his contract, but the problem is the center situation with the habs...

I say we trade him and try to get a stay at home RH defenceman à la Roman Polak for him...

Old
03-17-2014, 07:57 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
If he doesn't cement his status as a top-2 lines center during these playoffs...

Well, he'll be one of our five so-called top-6 players who never established themselves as playoffs performers.
Like who? DDs production is what is keeping him as a top line center. If he can't produce then he shouldn't be here since he's pretty marginal everywhere else.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:11 AM
CGG

Quote:
HOwever you don't see teams winning 16 playoff games with 5'6 centerman that can't play a lick of defense.

From the past 15 years find me an example where a stanley cup team had a centerman similar to DD utilized in the role that he's currently getting. Just one. Okayyyy, go!
Andy MacDonald. 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks. A few inches taller but just as "weak" and defensively challenged. # 1 centre on the team, second on the team in scoring next to Selanne. Of course you can't win with a # 1 centre like that, until they did.

The nonsense that you *can't* win with a certain player in the lineup is ridiculous. In 1995 you couldn't win a cup with Steve freakin' Yzerman as your # 1 centre, until the Wings finally did a few years later.

The last time we won a Cup you couldn't win with Gary Leeman in the lineup. Or with diminutive Stephan Lebeau as your 2nd line centre, especially since we had even more diminutive Paul DiPietro as the 3rd line centre. But then we did.

The idea of trading DD is equally ridiculous, especially since most still view it as a salary dump, to get picks back at best. Too many good centres is never a problem. Deliberately gutting the depth at centre led to the awesome Pierre-Turgeon-for-Shayne-Corson swap.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:12 AM
MTL-rules

Quote:
10 games, 2 points in his playoffs...that's against the east. You think lil ole desharnais can do anything in a series vs the west provided the habs ever get that far? Lets be real.
The mythical West again...

Somehow they're more physical than the Atlantic division ??

Come on... Anaheim has one punch line and zero depth, SJ no leadership, Colorado no experience... Chicago is the team to beat, I admit while LA has a cup experience and STL, well... we'll see, but lacks a true offensive leader, they're build like Boston, But I say the original version is better than the copycat.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:17 AM
CarrePrisme

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABS win CUPS View Post
aside from his point production his faceoff wins have been really solid this year

Not to mention that he's pretty much the shoot out go-to guy.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:18 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
Andy MacDonald. 2006-07 Anaheim Ducks. A few inches taller but just as "weak" and defensively challenged. # 1 centre on the team, second on the team in scoring next to Selanne. Of course you can't win with a # 1 centre like that, until they did.

The nonsense that you *can't* win with a certain player in the lineup is ridiculous. In 1995 you couldn't win a cup with Steve freakin' Yzerman as your # 1 centre, until the Wings finally did a few years later.

The last time we won a Cup you couldn't win with Gary Leeman in the lineup. Or with diminutive Stephan Lebeau as your 2nd line centre, especially since we had even more diminutive Paul DiPietro as the 3rd line centre. But then we did.

The idea of trading DD is equally ridiculous, especially since most still view it as a salary dump, to get picks back at best. Too many good centres is never a problem. Deliberately gutting the depth at centre led to the awesome Pierre-Turgeon-for-Shayne-Corson swap.
Lol. This is like people that say you can win a Superbowl with a poor qb because the Ravens did with Dilfer. Possible but damn near impossible.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:20 AM
BrimStone64

DD and Eller...hard to see how thay can flip back and forth from good player to dud

Old
03-17-2014, 08:28 AM
CGG

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Lol. This is like people that say you can win a Superbowl with a poor qb because the Ravens did with Dilfer. Possible but damn near impossible.
The QB is a wee bit more influential in the outcome of a game than 1 of 12 forwards. And by the way, no one said DD is poor. May not match the prototypical stereotype of a tough Western Canadian farm kid who weighs 220 and puts up 100 points a year, but he's still a damn good hockey player.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:34 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGG View Post
The QB is a wee bit more influential in the outcome of a game than 1 of 12 forwards. And by the way, no one said DD is poor. May not match the prototypical stereotype of a tough Western Canadian farm kid who weighs 220 and puts up 100 points a year, but he's still a damn good hockey player.
A qb that had a limited role vs a 1st line center? I'd say their importance is similar. DD is not a poor player at all. He is what he is. But some make him out to be a lot more than he is while others give him no credit.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:43 AM
JLP
Refugee

Whether a contract is good or bad depends on the player's NHL market value. LeBrun and other insiders are on record saying no other team wanted Desharnais last summer and fall. So we can debate all we want but NHL GMs generally shy away from little people. Bergevin has made a Montreal a sanctuary for them but he's on his own with that.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:48 AM
Respeck
RESPECK MY NAME

If he keeps playing like he has then its definitely fine, I'm not even just talking about the points. At the beginning of the year he was backing down from contact whenever possible, the last half of the year he's been going to the dirty areas and not backing down from anyone which is what he needs to do to be successful in this league.

I was really harsh on him at the beginning of the year but I'm glad he's proved me wrong.

Closed Thread