HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais a legit #2 center. Part Deux

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2014, 09:59 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 883
There will be no better time to trade him like Burke traded Stajan in package for Phaneuf. Boost value, sell high, move Galchenyuk to offensive C. Won't happen, but a DD, Gorges, etc type package will likely never look better.

Old
03-17-2014, 10:07 AM
Devourers

vCash: 500
If Desharnais played the way he does when the game is on the line, but all the time, he could be as dangerous as St. Louis.

Problem is, he doesn't. Whenever it's overtime or we're down by a goal, suddenly Davey starts winning puck battles. Straight up out-battling and out-thinking opponents. When I see him pull off his overtime heroics and getting shootout goals it makes me wonder two things.

1) Why doesn't he fight hard to win puck battles all the time instead of the odd occasion?
2) Why doesn't he shoot more?

He's probably our best forward playmaker, but it's predictable when he feeds Pacioretty 9/10 times rather than shoot or pass elsewhere. The guy actually has a low center of gravity, good hands, a pretty good shot. He should use it more. We would be far less predictable.

As for his contract, so long as he's a 50-60pt guy he's worth the contract, I just wish they'd start putting him on the wing. I think he'd be a much better winger anyways. He isn't half bad at chipping the puck around the opponent and getting it.

Old
03-17-2014, 10:14 AM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
There will be no better time to trade him like Burke traded Stajan in package for Phaneuf. Boost value, sell high, move Galchenyuk to offensive C. Won't happen, but a DD, Gorges, etc type package will likely never look better.
There would be pandemonium on here if DD was traded. I don't think that happens...but I also didn't think Bergie had the balls to go after Vanek so who knows? I hope DD produces like a madman for the rest of the season so we can deal him for an overpayment...something around DD+ prospect/pick/player whatever for Evander Kane.

Old
03-17-2014, 10:29 AM
Finnhabs

He has the best offensive vision from all of our centers by far atm, his wingers just need to produce from all the goalscoring opportunities he provides to them.
Really good around the net even given his size (which showed once again last nite with his assist that he threw from the air in front of the net). I like his faceoff, skating and hustling abilities aswell.
I have no worries about his performance in the playoff situation given his trackrecord from the previous leagues he has played.

Only his defensive play needs working. He can be so lost in the defensive zone sometimes.

Old
03-17-2014, 10:33 AM
NobleSix
Dynasty to Tragedy.

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Whether a contract is good or bad depends on the player's NHL market value. LeBrun and other insiders are on record saying no other team wanted Desharnais last summer and fall. So we can debate all we want but NHL GMs generally shy away from little people. Bergevin has made a Montreal a sanctuary for them but he's on his own with that.
Bergevin did not do this.

If any GM is to blame, its Gainey.

Old
03-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Finnhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devourers View Post
If Desharnais played the way he does when the game is on the line, but all the time, he could be as dangerous as St. Louis.

Problem is, he doesn't. Whenever it's overtime or we're down by a goal, suddenly Davey starts winning puck battles. Straight up out-battling and out-thinking opponents. When I see him pull off his overtime heroics and getting shootout goals it makes me wonder two things.

1) Why doesn't he fight hard to win puck battles all the time instead of the odd occasion?
2) Why doesn't he shoot more?

He's probably our best forward playmaker, but it's predictable when he feeds Pacioretty 9/10 times rather than shoot or pass elsewhere. The guy actually has a low center of gravity, good hands, a pretty good shot. He should use it more. We would be far less predictable.

As for his contract, so long as he's a 50-60pt guy he's worth the contract, I just wish they'd start putting him on the wing. I think he'd be a much better winger anyways. He isn't half bad at chipping the puck around the opponent and getting it.
Gotta agree. His low center of gravity makes him harder to bump of the puck given his size. You can wrestle him down ofc but there is a danger you get a penalty fro doin so. I do see some Marty in him aswell, they way he moves on the ice. But you cannot really compare of those guys. Would be interesting to see him tried as a winger but he is a playmaker foremost and good on faceoffs, so they would go more to waste as playin in the wing.

It also took Marty five years in NHL, three of them bouncin between farm/NHL before he really started to produce in the NHL level.

Old
03-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Lafleurs Guy

You still would get very little to anything for him in a trade. I don't see a lot of teams wanting this guy at all.

Old
03-17-2014, 11:03 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricenyuk View Post

Gainey started it true, Bergevin and Therrien sort of kept it going with the DD extension and Briere signing, even playing Gionta and Bouillon so much and bringing in Weaver.

I think DD's improved hustle has probably given him actual trade value for the first time in a long time, and we may get something this summer if we trade him. In which case the extension is good asset management, although it may have cost us a year.

I hope Gio, Bouillon, Weaver are gone this summer. And one of Briere or Desharnais.

Old
03-17-2014, 12:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Gainey started it true, Bergevin and Therrien sort of kept it going with the DD extension and Briere signing, even playing Gionta and Bouillon so much and bringing in Weaver.

I think DD's improved hustle has probably given him actual trade value for the first time in a long time, and we may get something this summer if we trade him. In which case the extension is good asset management, although it may have cost us a year.

I hope Gio, Bouillon, Weaver are gone this summer. And one of Briere or Desharnais.
If it's briere or dd to go it's easily briere...

Old
03-17-2014, 12:29 PM
Fozz

Love Desharnais. Play much bigger than he is and has the best offensive IQ on the team. Ideally, for this team to take the next step, you need him to be your 2nd line center. Hopefully, Galchenyuk keeps growing and fills that role within a year or two.

Last edited by Fozz: 03-17-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old
03-17-2014, 12:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pricenyuk View Post

Bergevin's the one who added Briere... that move was and is a total mystery.

Old
03-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Finnhabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Bergevin's the one who added Briere... that move was and is a total mystery.
Is it? We needed an offensive winger for FA Ryder. Its not his fault he is being misused by MT. He has been performin quite allright given his icetime. He is creating lots of chances to himself and to his linemates lately. Just that they havent gone in for what reason. Thing is the chances are there, i would be more worried if he wasnt be able to create those chances at all.

Old
03-17-2014, 01:35 PM
RuggieriHabs76

David Desharnais a legit #2 center. Part Deux

The playoffs are coming up soon and its nice to see all the love/hate towards DD. Lets hope he could prove everybody wrong or right if we get to the playoffs.

Old
03-17-2014, 01:39 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*

152 pts in 244 games

Old
03-17-2014, 01:40 PM
Uber Coca

Desharnais has been one of the most consistent forwards since the beginning of the season. He's been winning his board battles lately by smart stickworking. He has yet to show anything in the playoffs though - he was putrid last year.

Old
03-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Smokey Thompson

Not much left to talk about. He's been playing with intensity lately and he's been productive. Whether I agree or disagree with role with the Habs down the road, he's been playing well.

I shall return to the DD thread in the playoffs, when his real test begins.

Old
03-17-2014, 01:52 PM
Philantropic Subban
PK for Norris

People need to start lowering the expectations for this year's Habs. They won't go far in the Playoffs.

DD isn't good enough to carry all this team's offense. Not a knock on him he does very well lately but this is just a sign of very poor pieces at center. Ideally he'd be 2nd or 3rd center and legitimately the team would rely less on him producing on a daily basis.

Right now, people need to give him credit for his performances as he's helping the team to get in the Playoffs.

Old
03-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 50

Old
03-17-2014, 02:07 PM
overlords
#bargainbanned

I'll just toss a warning in here right away that if you don't like the thread, stay the **** out of it. It's that simple.

Old
03-17-2014, 02:19 PM
Uber Coca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfsFTW View Post
People need to start lowering the expectations for this year's Habs. They won't go far in the Playoffs.

DD isn't good enough to carry all this team's offense. Not a knock on him he does very well lately but this is just a sign of very poor pieces at center. Ideally he'd be 2nd or 3rd center and legitimately the team would rely less on him producing on a daily basis.

Right now, people need to give him credit for his performances as he's helping the team to get in the Playoffs.
Let's just remember that the New Jersey Devils made the Stanley Cup Finals two years ago... With Boston and Pittsburgh being the only real contenders in the East this year, I'd say that the chances have never been this high of getting far in the playoffs.

Old
03-17-2014, 02:27 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'll just toss a warning in here right away that if you don't like the thread, stay the **** out of it. It's that simple.
Also I merged this with the previous thread about Desharnais' contract because I don't really think the conversation will be different enough to warrant two separate threads.

Old
03-17-2014, 02:34 PM
JAVO16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I would be more than happy to get a player equivalent to Phaneuf at the time for that package, but who would you target and why would they be a more valuable addition to this team than the subtraction of Gorges and DD ?

Old
03-17-2014, 03:03 PM
HockeyF3ind

DD is good value for the point production, and is money in the shoot out. I believe we will be able to flip him for something of value to a team that doesn't have the size problem we do.

Old
03-17-2014, 03:17 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnhabs View Post
He has the best offensive vision from all of our centers by far atm, his wingers just need to produce from all the goalscoring opportunities he provides to them.
Really good around the net even given his size (which showed once again last nite with his assist that he threw from the air in front of the net). I like his faceoff, skating and hustling abilities aswell.
I have no worries about his performance in the playoff situation given his trackrecord from the previous leagues he has played.

Only his defensive play needs working. He can be so lost in the defensive zone sometimes.
So in your mind it's Pacioretty/Gallagher/Vanek that are dragging Desharnais down.

Is this real life?

Old
03-17-2014, 03:21 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
My point was without Eller there to play defensive role DD still managed to play well defensively.

Not a fluke either, to start year DD had little points but high FO % (was team leader) and also lead team in least GA while on the ice 5 on 5. So his defensive game is underrated but not great. Just I think he has the compete to hold his own, backchecks very hard.
If true then he should take more defensive responsibilities and give up some of those prime offensive opportunities. Because if's he decent defensively then it makes no sense to shelter the crap out of him like we do.

Closed Thread