HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our possible playoff matchups - 13/14

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2014, 07:08 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

vCash: 500
Our possible playoff matchups - 13/14

How it is looking now? What is the most likely scenario? What is the best-case scenario? The worst-case?

Right now, it looks like the Bruins are running away with the conference title and the Pens will finish 2nd. That means they will face the better of 2 wildcard teams. Itīs VERY LIKELY that the Pens will play an Atlantic division opponent in the 1st round.

R1:
Itīs probably one of MTL/TOR/TBL. Which of these teams would you like as our R1 opponent the most and which the less? Personally, Iīm OK with all of them. Habs & Leafs would be exciting and we should be able to beat them in a 7-game series despite our problems. The Bolts are quite cold lately and we are matching up really well against them the last 2 years or so.

R2:
The R2 is very likely gonna be a winner of PHI vs CBJ/NYR series. The Jackets/Rangers would be very acceptable R2 opponent for us, the Flyers not that much. I believe our series vs Flyers would be 50/50 if weīre healthy. I still canīt believe how the ****ing Flyers can stay healthy all year long, though.

The R3 is most likely the Bruins, but it would be nice to get a break here if someone eliminates them.

I donīt want to go any further. Just talk about the R1 scenario and possibly R2. It doesnīt look that bad to me right now, except of potentially R2 vs Flyers.

Last edited by Will Hunting: 03-17-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old
03-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Will Hunting
Immortal Adams

Also, I should add, why I created this thread.

1)The playoffs are nearing and Iīm looking at the scenarios more and more.
2)I donīt believe we can beat everybody, we are not that good. The formula "If you want a SC, you have to beat everybody" is not working for our current version of a team. We really need some breaks in good PO matchups, just like we got when the Canes kicked out the Bruins in our SC year and then got swept by us. Thatīs our only chance.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:35 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

If it's one of TB / MTL / TML, I'd take MTL and TB over Toronto. They somehow always play us well, least in the last few years.

I can't imagine Tampa puts up a huge fight.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:42 PM
mpp9

I'd like to see us play the toughest possible opponent first. If we're legit, we should be able to get past them. If not, we're out early and there's a ton of pressure to change things up this offseason.

I think any of them could give us issues. Toronto has the skill up front to give us fits. Price could steal a series. Tampa would probably be easiest.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:47 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Hunting View Post
How it is looking now? What is the most likely scenario? What is the best-case scenario? The worst-case?

Right now, it looks like the Bruins are running away with the conference title and the Pens will finish 2nd. That means they will face the better of 2 wildcard teams. Itīs VERY LIKELY that the Pens will play an Atlantic division opponent in the 1st round.

R1:
Itīs probably one of MTL/TOR/TBL. Which of these teams would you like as our R1 opponent the most and which the less? Personally, Iīm OK with all of them. Habs & Leafs would be exciting and we should be able to beat them in a 7-game series despite our problems. The Bolts are quite cold lately and we are matching up really well against them the last 2 years or so.

R2:
The R2 is very likely gonna be a winner of PHI vs CBJ/NYR series. The Jackets/Rangers would be very acceptable R2 opponent for us, the Flyers not that much. I believe our series vs Flyers would be 50/50 if weīre healthy. I still canīt believe how the ****ing Flyers can stay healthy all year long, though.

The R3 is most likely the Bruins, but it would be nice to get a break here if someone eliminates them.

I donīt want to go any further. Just talk about the R1 scenario and possibly R2. It doesnīt look that bad to me right now, except of potentially R2 vs Flyers.
I just think that there are too many options at this point to even narrow down the options.

What we know is that the Pens are going to get one of the two wild card teams and those teams COULD be MTL, TOR, TB, DET, PHL, NYR, CMH, WAS, NJ.

OTT and CAR have a slim chance, but I think both are done. Everyone else is done. So, I'm focusing on these teams, which really ALL are within 10 points of one another.

Looking at that list, the ONLY teams where I'd bet money on the Pens if you stuck a gun to my head and told me my life depended on the pick would be against Washington, Columbus, and Tampa.

I think the Pens would be underdogs to Philly.

I'd call it even money against Detroit.

I wouldn't like the matchups against New York, Montreal, Toronto, or New Jersey.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:52 PM
specialized

Pens will be out by the second round, I have very little faith in this team making a deep run. But I will still watch and root for them.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Whoever we get will probably beat us.

Old
03-17-2014, 07:57 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
You're really going out on a limb with that one.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:05 PM
vabm8
Injured Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
They might be able to take Columbus... maybe...

Yeah, unless the talent manages to overcome Disco and carry the rest of them they're screwed. They can't be trusted against anyone because they'll inevitably end up getting baited into doing what the other team wants them to and the other coach will thwart Bylsma.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:06 PM
cheesedanish87

TBL is my first choice followed by TOR and MTL.

I'm not worried about the Flyers, i think whoever plays them in round 1 will beat them, they wouldn't win in the playoffs with that def and goalie.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:08 PM
alcanalz
whys and wherefores

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I just think that there are too many options at this point to even narrow down the options.

What we know is that the Pens are going to get one of the two wild card teams and those teams COULD be MTL, TOR, TB, DET, PHL, NYR, CMH, WAS, NJ.

OTT and CAR have a slim chance, but I think both are done. Everyone else is done. So, I'm focusing on these teams, which really ALL are within 10 points of one another.

Looking at that list, the ONLY teams where I'd bet money on the Pens if you stuck a gun to my head and told me my life depended on the pick would be against Washington, Columbus, and Tampa.

I think the Pens would be underdogs to Philly.

I'd call it even money against Detroit.

I wouldn't like the matchups against New York, Montreal, Toronto, or New Jersey.
Well, I'll certainly be curious to see how different Vegas sees it than you. I'm sure half the board was freaking out this weekend, but underdogs to Philly, really?

Old
03-17-2014, 08:14 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcanalz View Post
Well, I'll certainly be curious to see how different Vegas sees it than you. I'm sure half the board was freaking out this weekend, but underdogs to Philly, really?
Oh, Vegas surely will have us as favorites against anyone save Boston.

Taking Philly on the money line will help soothe the pain. And, if by some miracle the Pens win, well, it's not like I'd really have lost, eh?

Old
03-17-2014, 08:15 PM
invictus

I hope we get embarrassed by Columbus in round 1.

A) I have no ill will towards them and there are no recent hate-filled playoff series to make me hate them
B) It will be good for helping to grow the sport there
C) It seems needed to oust Daniel Bylsma.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:29 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

I hope we get the Flyers in round 1

Old
03-17-2014, 08:30 PM
SidTheKid8787

To be honest here. Toronto(or Columbus) is probably an easier matchup for the Pens than Montreal, Tampa.

I think the Pens could score a ton of goals versus Toronto compared to Mtl or Tampa.

Just my opinion.

Good thread though. Worth discussing.

ETA: Going off KIRK's list. Preferred matchups for me Wash, Columbus, Toronto, Montreal or Tampa.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:39 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I hope we get the Flyers in round 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
To be honest here. Toronto(or Columbus) is probably an easier matchup for the Pens than Montreal, Tampa.

I think the Pens could score a ton of goals versus Toronto compared to Mtl or Tampa.

Just my opinion.

Good thread though. Worth discussing.

ETA: Going off KIRK's list. Preferred matchups for me Wash, Columbus, Toronto, Montreal or Tampa.
Toronto and Montreal would be A LOT tougher than the other three.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
I love that you're just linking me to all my favorite scenes. Thanks, it's saving me time.

But seriously, the Flyers are the best match-up for us.

Either we beat the Flyers and... we BEAT THE FLYERS!!

or... we lose to the Flyers and heads roll. And I'm very convinced heads will roll if it happens again.

Old
03-17-2014, 08:45 PM
mpp9

Yeah my votes the flyers. We could get on a roll if we beat them. And DB deserves praise.

If we lose in usual fashion, DB deserves shot out of the nearest cannon. As well as a few players.

Old
03-17-2014, 09:05 PM
nhindian

I hope we get TB, Philly, Boston, Chicago.

Exorcise all our demons in one playoffs!

Old
03-17-2014, 09:09 PM
Michael8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhindian View Post
I hope we get TB, Philly, Boston, Chicago.

Exorcise all our demons in one playoffs!
I hope you're right and personally I'd rather play the Flyers in round 2 than round 1.

Old
03-17-2014, 09:30 PM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

We'll squeak by CBJ then get ***** by the Flyers.

Dan will get another extension and Orpik will get 4 years, 20M.

Old
03-17-2014, 09:40 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
I love that you're just linking me to all my favorite scenes. Thanks, it's saving me time.

But seriously, the Flyers are the best match-up for us.

Either we beat the Flyers and... we BEAT THE FLYERS!!

or... we lose to the Flyers and heads roll. And I'm very convinced heads will roll if it happens again.
I did not understand your plan.

Alas, the dark side of the force clouds everything.

Old
03-17-2014, 09:42 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragamuffin Gunner View Post
We'll squeak by CBJ then get ***** by the Flyers.

Dan will get another extension and Orpik will get 4 years, 20M.
Dan getting another extension is least likely, but that's only because he just got one in June.

Old
03-18-2014, 03:33 AM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

I don't care who it is but I just really want to get this first round bouncing out of the way so that they HOPEFULLY AND FINALLY fire Bylsmas stupid ass.

For the LOLZ salt in the wounds factor I hope it's either the Flyers or devils that sweep us.

Old
03-18-2014, 04:17 AM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Give me the Flyers in the 1st round. That way, we'll get embarrassed again by our bitter rivals and Shero will be forced to make changes. If Shero won't, maybe Lemieux will get his head out of his ass and force changes.

Closed Thread