HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Rogers Place Construction Thread

Old
05-09-2014, 02:44 PM
oiler-dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Rooftop? Really? Wow, that'll be awesome in that location. I'm not a downtown resident and unaware of "Crafts" where is that place.

thanks for the info in anycase.
Craft is on Rice Howard Way, just across the street from Sherlock Holmes Pub. They completely gutted & rebuild the little narrow building there. 3 stories, looks great!

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 04:33 PM
oilers9799

Quote:
Wow, that's pretty amazing. The ACC less so because it was in an easily serviced region with lots of area to work and Toronto in general is easily serviced.

Toronto and Winnipeg I think though also have the project completion advantages in not having a superheated economy where labor, supplies, materials, freight, isn't so tapped out. In Alberta here we're off the charts with projects and especially Edmonton and Northern Alberta. It will be interesting. I figure betting on it just makes it more interesting.
Guess who built the ACC? PCL Ding Ding

Craft is in Rice Howard Way, big beer hall that started in Calgary.

oilers9799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 04:35 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
Craft is on Rice Howard Way, just across the street from Sherlock Holmes Pub. They completely gutted & rebuild the little narrow building there. 3 stories, looks great!
Oh, thanks, RHW has been a nonstarter for me since Coco di (sp?) and the whole block burned down. Not a fan of Sherlock Holmes (I'm spoiled by real Brit pubs) so don't go down that street anymore.

Where Craft is at, is that the place that used to be named and owned by Terry Vaughn?

Or I could be getting confused with my downtown geography.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
Guess who built the ACC? PCL Ding Ding

Craft is in Rice Howard Way, big beer hall that started in Calgary.
Not discounting PCL ftr. I am discounting how a superheated sector here will have all the most competent staff freely available for what should be a fairly complicated build.

If staffing shortages weren't chronically occurring here I wouldn't be saying the same thing.

Old
05-09-2014, 05:06 PM
oilers9799

Quote:
Oh, thanks, RHW has been a nonstarter for me since Coco di (sp?) and the whole block burned down. Not a fan of Sherlock Holmes (I'm spoiled by real Brit pubs) so don't go down that street anymore.

Where Craft is at, is that the place that used to be named and owned by Terry Vaughn?

Or I could be getting confused with my downtown geography.
Its right beside Terry Vaughn's (which is now 100). Craft is the old Hy's Steakhouse.

oilers9799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 06:05 PM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
Its right beside Terry Vaughn's (which is now 100). Craft is the old Hy's Steakhouse.
All of these establishments stand to gain the most from a revitalized downtown district. Places like 100, if they can attract the young crowd with disposable income, could boom quite a bit on game nights, especially if it's Saturday night.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 09:36 PM
Slicknitty
:[🍕]

vCash: 391
Friday May 9, 2014

Full size (11.1 mb): http://eyesy.com/arena/2014/may/05-09-2014-GR.jpg

Slicknitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q Continuum View Post
The thing I find interesting is that people complain about Northlands being in a sketchy area, yet they're building the new arena in an even sketchier part of the city...
The difference is that Rexall Place is sketchy for, what, 15 blocks in any direction? You walk 1-2 blocks from the arena site and it's a completely different world. The hope is that the district should make the area a good area (like it did in Columbus and LA and it did for the ballparks in Pittsburgh and San Diego).

I live in Oliver and I've walked home from Mercer many times and never felt unsafe.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Slicknitty

Saturday May 10, 2014

Full size (10.9 mb): http://eyesy.com/arena/2014/may/05-10-2014-GR.jpg

Sorry about the funky white balance...I blame the clouds.

Old
05-11-2014, 09:57 PM
Slicknitty

Sunday May 11, 2014

Full size (11.6 mb): http://eyesy.com/arena/2014/may/05-11-2014-GR.jpg

Old
05-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Speed220DChalavan

Was in LA last week, and we checked out LA Live. To be honest, was not impressed at all. The surrounding area was ghetto. LA live itself consisted of some public space, a sequence of chain restaurants, but nothing that truly stood out.

The novelty factor will, i suspect, run out very shortly if Edmonton's new arena district is similar.

I think it's a mistake the Oilers are making by suggesting there won't be too much retail and the focus will be on restaurants/bars/pubs. Retail is what will attract the general public - need a healthy balance. One needs to stroll on Whyte ave in the summer afternoons and see it's full of activity. I fear it will be a deadzone on non-game nights without that retail.

Lets hope those overseeing this project will aim higher than L.A. Live.

Speed220DChalavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 01:34 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewafa View Post
Was in LA last week, and we checked out LA Live. To be honest, was not impressed at all. The surrounding area was ghetto. LA live itself consisted of some public space, a sequence of chain restaurants, but nothing that truly stood out.

The novelty factor will, i suspect, run out very shortly if Edmonton's new arena district is similar.

I think it's a mistake the Oilers are making by suggesting there won't be too much retail and the focus will be on restaurants/bars/pubs. Retail is what will attract the general public - need a healthy balance. One needs to stroll on Whyte ave in the summer afternoons and see it's full of activity. I fear it will be a deadzone on non-game nights without that retail.

There's retail extremely close by already - it's just that they all close at 5 pm because everyone leaves downtown after 5 so there's no point staying open. If the arena can get people in that area later at night, a lot of those retail stores will hopefully stay open. A lot of them are the upper middle class type of retail too, which presumably those with the disposable income to attend Oilers games would have an affinity towards.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 01:46 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
I just find it funny everyone is worried about the left side of these pictures. It's the right side that if you had the money that's going to make you rich. All garbage buildings and real estate. But you see on the news the money people are spending for rental space in that warehouse to the left.

Once that building is up, people won't care what side the fun is on. God I wish I was rich enough to prey on that.

Oscar Acosta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 03:45 AM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

I just can't get over how narrow this lot is.

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 02:29 PM
fysloc

The area to the right of the picture isn't exactly "cheap" enough that you can buy it. The buildings, nobody cares about. The property, they will demand top notch prime real estate dollars for it.

And alot of the buildings to the right are small office buildings, and not exactly unoccupied (in the picture anyways). The ones outside the pictures to the immediate right of the arena, yeah those can be had, but the property itself still costs tons.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:29 PM
OilersDieHard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
I just can't get over how narrow this lot is.

Go down to site and measure it's not narrow

OilersDieHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 06:53 PM
Slicknitty

Monday May 12, 2014

Full size (11.1 mb): http://eyesy.com/arena/2014/may/05-12-2014-GR.jpg

Old
05-12-2014, 08:01 PM
Speed220DChalavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
There's retail extremely close by already - it's just that they all close at 5 pm because everyone leaves downtown after 5 so there's no point staying open. If the arena can get people in that area later at night, a lot of those retail stores will hopefully stay open. A lot of them are the upper middle class type of retail too, which presumably those with the disposable income to attend Oilers games would have an affinity towards.
By retail, I mean street retail, not enclosed malls like City Center.

Think Robson in Vancouver, Whyte Ave in Edmonton, or Stephen Avenue in Calgary.

Old
05-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Philly85*
I Ain't Even Mad

^^^yes

Philly85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bewafa View Post

Whyte ave is full of activity because tonnes of students live there. If the city really wanted to revitalize downtown they should have given $400 Million to Grant MacEwan to expand the campus.

I can't see the arena district having the kind of impact that you want it to have.

I suspect there will be a bunch of restaurants opening around the area as more suits will stay after work to eat before the game rather than going home. Maybe a couple of bars, but all the young people will still be down at whyte ave and jasper ave so I imagine people that want to go out after the game continue to go there.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 09:56 PM
Speed220DChalavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
Whyte ave is full of activity because tonnes of students live there.
That may be true on Friday and Saturday evenings. But what explains during the day?

Quote:
I can't see the arena district having the kind of impact that you want it to have.
It's not my expectation. It's the picture the Oilers are painting. I'm tempering down the expectations

Quote:
I suspect there will be a bunch of restaurants opening around the area as more suits will stay after work to eat before the game rather than going home. Maybe a couple of bars, but all the young people will still be down at whyte ave and jasper ave so I imagine people that want to go out after the game continue to go there.
There are a number of condo projects in construction and planned in the upcoming years. Higher density in the surrounding arena will increase activity - but I do have some level of doubt that it will be a thriving area on non-game nights or afternoons.

Appropriate street level retail is vital, IMO.

Old
05-13-2014, 01:47 AM
smackdaddy
x Edmonton

Quote:
Whyte ave is full of activity because tonnes of students live there. If the city really wanted to revitalize downtown they should have given $400 Million to Grant MacEwan to expand the campus.

Broke students with loan payments to revitalize the downtown. Wiser words have never been spoken. Don't have much of a pulse on the current generation do we.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 02:18 AM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Broke students with loan payments to revitalize the downtown. Wiser words have never been spoken. Don't have much of a pulse on the current generation do we.
Broke, starving students who more often then not have money for beer and eating out, because their only other expense is rent. And the 20% international students who usually have money. And all the kids with rich parents. Plus all the staff. The U of A has 40,000 students and 15,000 staff for example.

There is a little money to be spread around, but mostly it creates a vibrant atmosphere that attracts others to hang out in the area and spend their money as well.

I'd say that does a lot more for an area than an arena which people typically just want to get into and out of when they need to.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 07:25 AM
Vagabond

vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
I'm looking everyday at the Meadows rec center which is already months overdue for completion and now isn't expected to be completed until late in the year. Judging from what I'm seeing I'd be amazed Meadow will be done ANYTIME in 2014.

Again with this being a much smaller in scale build, with no issues of accessibility or constraints of working in a downtown environment.

The timetable for the Arena build is pure fantasy. I'm taking bets now ftr. I guarantee at this point that a complete season won't be played in the new arena in 2016-17. This is a fast tracked estimate of an unknown build assuming nothing at all will go wrong. Anybody could consider the AGA and the unexpected complications and unforeseen overruns in that design.

Much more money involved at the Rogers sight. Way more focus and contractors.

Try to be a little positive once in a while.

Let me know if you need a hug!

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2014, 07:34 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Much more money involved at the Rogers sight. Way more focus and contractors.

Try to be a little positive once in a while.

Let me know if you need a hug!

The Oil Kings looked good last night. That's something.

Being positive about the Edmonton Oilers and anything related to them? That's going to take a little effort.