HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rogers Place Construction Thread

Old
05-14-2014, 11:19 AM
Section337

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
^Not a big fan of that tower tbh. Just another box tower with some minor edifice masking a pretty bland design. I thought we were trying to get away with such "good enough" designs.
We're spending a lot on a signature arena. This as backdrop is not exactly impressive. Certainly nothing even remotely close to signature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schutney View Post
I agree, it's just a big square. There's nothing cool about it. It's nice but compared to Brookfield Tower, Telus Sky, and City Centre in Calgary coming up - it isn't very signature.
Not sure it is going to be a box, I believe these are some other angles:

Last edited by Section337: 05-14-2014 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Removed 3rd picture, which may be not as synched.
Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

I redact the statement that its a box. Its worse when seen from other angles. Particularly that last angle. This thing is hideous. I see now its trying not to be a box, but it speaks box, with a few angles thrown in to try to faux non-box. With net result being unbox that may as well be box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Not sure it is going to be a box, I believe these are some other angles (though the 3rd is not quite as glossy or from same group?):

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:19 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Not every tower has to be a profound statement of architecture, a lot of what makes a skyline great is how well these types of towers compliment the centre piece. Take NYC for example and then contrast it with the gaudy look of Dubai.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:24 PM
Mcnofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

For Replacement's perusal, the Calgary City Centre building - seems like an upgrade (marginal, maybe) on the Edmonton building.

To say nothing of the architectural delight that is the Telus Sky Building.

I read an article in the paper (reading!) about how Edmonton was going to say no to disposable buildings and build meaningful ones, at least downtown. I wish they could equate meaningful with inspiring and inventive. Not to say the new building will be ugly out of hand. It's instead to say I wish the city would put itself on the map by trying something different. Like, unfortunately, Calgary.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:25 PM
Alex87

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Not every tower has to be a profound statement of architecture, a lot of what makes a skyline great is how well these types of towers compliment the centre piece. Take NYC for example and then contrast it with the gaudy look of Dubai.
It's true, and I think the building is definitely an improvement over what we already have downtown (i.e. it's not just another concrete slab). But I do have to agree somewhat with Replacement and others... from a design perspective, it's not particularly innovative and given how rare office towers in Edmonton seem to have been, it just comes off as disappointing and a missed opportunity.

Alex87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:44 PM
Mcnofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Before we get sidetracked...
Dubai 1960 -
New York 1960 -

Dubai was built in the 1990s and 2000s. Of course it's going to be gaudy. It's a city of a bunch of companies trying to make their tower the biggest for the singular purpose of showing off. Compare it to the other cities truly built in that time - Shenzen, Mumbai, Shanghai and Hong Kong, if you want to stretch it. They all kind of look interchangeably gaudy.

New York, London, Paris, Chicago, Toronto (even)? They've had a lot of time to do what they need to do to be architectural wonders. Not that these cities have not had a competition to see what becomes the tallest/non-tallest. New York had a Chrysler Building - Empire State - WTC - Freedom Tower thing going for it, and Chicago was planning the world's biggest tower.

To bring this more back to Edmonton and Rogers Place - Edmonton has no singular "tower" that makes a profound statement of architecture. Manulife and the Scotia Place building are, in some aspects, unique, and Hotel McDonald is beautiful in its own right, but as for a "city-defining" tower, Edmonton doesn't have one. The Telus building dominates the downtown core - lights up during Christmas! - prop it in any comparably large city in the world (especially the ones in the former Soviet Union) and it would be a nothing building. Is this necessarily a bad thing? No.

But for those who want Edmonton to be a "real" city (or at least look like one) (myself included), a few more striking towers making profound statements of architecture would be perhaps the move we should look to make.

Then again, I have no visual art skill, so this might all be bogus.

By the way...
- that doesn't even give this justice, but yes. Gaudy.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:48 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section337 View Post
Not sure it is going to be a box, I believe these are some other angles (though the 3rd is not quite as glossy or from same group?):

The last one is not the same tower. That one was a proposal for the City of Edmonton tower when they put out their RFP, I think. It would've been the parking lot near CDI College / Shaw Conference Center on Jasper Ave.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 01:06 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

vCash: 50
So what, Replacement found another object de jour to complain about?

McBooya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 01:54 PM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiler-dude View Post
The last one is not the same tower. That one was a proposal for the City of Edmonton tower when they put out their RFP, I think. It would've been the parking lot near CDI College / Shaw Conference Center on Jasper Ave.
Okay, that makes sense, it had a look of a much more preliminary design.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 01:56 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Fresh looks

Last edited by smackdaddy: 05-14-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old
05-14-2014, 02:10 PM
CantHaveTkachev
Cant Have McTkachev

vCash: 1722
Quote:
Fresh looks
those are all 100% a go?

I thought the City of Edmonton tower was the only one underway at the moment....

CantHaveTkachev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 02:23 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
those are all 100% a go?

I thought the City of Edmonton tower was the only one underway at the moment....
Not a go yet as far as I can tell, just the "staples tower", but the Arena District called for 4 towers with the first being the City of Edmonton tower.

Then again, Stationlands was supposed to have 4 towers too..

Old
05-14-2014, 03:30 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
In all of these mock ups I see a ton of trees everywhere. I sure as **** hope they aren't just to make these pictures more appealing to the eye, and they actually provide more greenery to the arena district, and surrounding area.

People forget how positive an impact nature is in our daily lives.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 06:00 PM
Mcnitty
such wow

vCash: 391
Wednesday May 14, 2014

Full size (11.4 mb):http://eyesy.com/arena/2014/may/05-14-2014-GR.jpg

I went by the old Staples site and took pictures of it if anyone is interested. The link is to my public dropbox folder:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7pffo70rk...2014%2C%202014

JimmiJenkins, thanks buddy, I appreciate your kind words!

Mcnitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 06:22 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
In all of these mock ups I see a ton of trees everywhere. I sure as **** hope they aren't just to make these pictures more appealing to the eye, and they actually provide more greenery to the arena district, and surrounding area.

People forget how positive an impact nature is in our daily lives.
Completely agree. That area of downtown could certainly use it.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 06:25 PM
McPuritania
5-14-6-1

vCash: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Completely agree. That area of downtown could certainly use it.
Amenx1000

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

Quote:
Thanks, you tricked me. That's the EAST intersection. Sorry to point that out.
It's actually the west intesection. You are facing south in this photo.

Valic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 08:02 PM
Mcnitty
such wow

Thursday May 15, 2014

Full size (12.2 mb): http://eyesy.com/arena/2014/may/05-15-2014-GR.jpg

Old
05-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Domino1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
It's actually the west intesection. You are facing south in this photo.
If you're facing south then would East not be to the left?? West would be towards Greyhound

Domino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:00 PM
Replacement
Now 11.5% more Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domino1 View Post
If you're facing south then would East not be to the left?? West would be towards Greyhound
Yep. Not sure why this is confusing. People don't know what direction west is from looking at an aerial photo of Edmonton?

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 11:49 PM
Mcnitty
such wow

Quote:
Yep. Not sure why this is confusing. People don't know what direction west is from looking at an aerial photo of Edmonton?
I'm pretty sure he knows which direction west is. I should have said the west part of the intersection to allow for both directions but oh well!!!!Thanks for keeping us on our toes, Replacement!

Old
05-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Nunymare
Global Moderator
In 11.5% we trust

vCash: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
Thursday May 15, 2014

A bit windy up there today?

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 12:02 AM
samiam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
Thursday May 15, 2014

It looks as though they seem to be excavating quite a bit deeper on the area where the community/practice rink will be.
Wonder how much deeper they'll go??

samiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 12:03 AM
McOkMcgoMcoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Before we get sidetracked...
Dubai 1960 -
New York 1960 -

Dubai was built in the 1990s and 2000s. Of course it's going to be gaudy. It's a city of a bunch of companies trying to make their tower the biggest for the singular purpose of showing off. Compare it to the other cities truly built in that time - Shenzen, Mumbai, Shanghai and Hong Kong, if you want to stretch it. They all kind of look interchangeably gaudy.

New York, London, Paris, Chicago, Toronto (even)? They've had a lot of time to do what they need to do to be architectural wonders. Not that these cities have not had a competition to see what becomes the tallest/non-tallest. New York had a Chrysler Building - Empire State - WTC - Freedom Tower thing going for it, and Chicago was planning the world's biggest tower.

To bring this more back to Edmonton and Rogers Place - Edmonton has no singular "tower" that makes a profound statement of architecture. Manulife and the Scotia Place building are, in some aspects, unique, and Hotel McDonald is beautiful in its own right, but as for a "city-defining" tower, Edmonton doesn't have one. The Telus building dominates the downtown core - lights up during Christmas! - prop it in any comparably large city in the world (especially the ones in the former Soviet Union) and it would be a nothing building. Is this necessarily a bad thing? No.

But for those who want Edmonton to be a "real" city (or at least look like one) (myself included), a few more striking towers making profound statements of architecture would be perhaps the move we should look to make.

Then again, I have no visual art skill, so this might all be bogus.

By the way...
- that doesn't even give this justice, but yes. Gaudy.
True True, but many think Dubai may be a bit of a bust city. In the sense it was never destine to be a NYC.

I think Shanghai is the real up and comer in terms of skylines that might some day rival NYC

For the Edmonton tower, I like it. I think people have to realize Edmonton will never have a breathtaking skyline, so it is more about buildings that compliment what is already there.

McOkMcgoMcoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 12:27 AM
Mcnitty
such wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunymare View Post
A bit windy up there today?
It was, but no big deal