HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rogers Place Construction Thread

Old
07-28-2014, 05:54 PM
sepHF
Patreeky

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGr1ff View Post
I don't understand how this is any different than what you want...
This is pretty much the same thing, just from a worse angle and the quality is drastically worse, but you can still get an idea.

sepHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 05:57 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
This is pretty much the same thing, just from a worse angle and the quality is drastically worse, but you can still get an idea.
Its like saying a 1970's self developing polaroid is the same thing as a high resolution highest definition capture.

At least to the extent that they are both technically photos...

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 06:13 PM
BGr1ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I was going to refer you to Slicknittys high resolution photos that were the focal point in discussion going on in the thread but then realized all of Slicknittys excellent work is no longer available. Not only is he not able to persist in taking continued shots all the shots that were taken and posted are now "forbidden" and link to nothing but error messages.

A real shame. All those shots are now lost. Anybody else noting this?

If you saw both you would recognize difference immediately
I saw Slicknittys, they were very good. But the resolution of the images in the time lapses aren't terrible. Initially, when loaded, the resolution is poor but on my PC anyway, after about 5 seconds a higher resolution image renders that can hardly be described as poor. I can read the writing on buildings etc. maybe its a performance thing and varies from machine to machine.

As a reference, there is a building on the left hand side of the images that reads, when zoomed in on, "Affordable Storage Centre; We Sell Boxes!" that is clear and readable to me.

Maybe my expectations are just too low?

BGr1ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2014, 06:22 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGr1ff View Post
I saw Slicknittys, they were very good. But the resolution of the images in the time lapses aren't terrible. Initially, when loaded, the resolution is poor but on my PC anyway, after about 5 seconds a higher resolution image renders that can hardly be described as poor. I can read the writing on buildings etc. maybe its a performance thing and varies from machine to machine.

As a reference, there is a building on the left hand side of the images that reads, when zoomed in on, "Affordable Storage Centre; We Sell Boxes!" that is clear and readable to me.

Maybe my expectations are just too low?
heh, I can't even spot the sign you are referring to and any I can see are blurry. just saying

For instance when I look at Mercer's tavern I can't see what that print reads on the upper part of that building. Its just blurred.

Perhaps there is a resolution specific disparity depending on opertating system, software, etc.

Old
07-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
heh, I can't even spot the sign you are referring to and any I can see are blurry. just saying

For instance when I look at Mercer's tavern I can't see what that print reads on the upper part of that building. Its just blurred.

Perhaps there is a resolution specific disparity depending on opertating system, software, etc.
Time for an Optometrist appointment Replacement....just sayin.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2014, 09:34 PM
Auguste McEscoffier

Ian O'Donnell suggests Stantec's tower will be 36-45 storeys or 150-190 meters.

The CoE tower will be 140 meters, making it the 4th (1. Stantec 2. Manulife 3. EPCOR) largest tower in the city.

So that's 2 of the 4 tallest buildings in Edmonton, located in the arena district.

I can't wait to hear about the hotel.

Auguste McEscoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 12:31 PM
McLotto 97
Believe in 13.5%

vCash: 305
I just got back from NYC and took a tour of the newly renovated MSG and I can say wow am I excited about the new arena. That place was beautiful. The scoreboard was awesome and the 17 degree seating angle made every seat a great view. It was set up for the boxing match that was held last Saturday but the views were awesome.

Can't wait

McLotto 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Bobieque

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
Ian O'Donnell suggests Stantec's tower will be 36-45 storeys or 150-190 meters.

The CoE tower will be 140 meters, making it the 4th (1. Stantec 2. Manulife 3. EPCOR) largest tower in the city.

So that's 2 of the 4 tallest buildings in Edmonton, located in the arena district.

I can't wait to hear about the hotel.
I know at one point there was the limitation of how high a tower could be due to the muni airport.

Is that restriction now gone? Or is the Arena far enough away from the flight path?

Bobieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 12:49 PM
Tarus
FireChia#

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post
I know at one point there was the limitation of how high a tower could be due to the muni airport.

Is that restriction now gone? Or is the Arena far enough away from the flight path?
The Airport was closed last November.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2014, 04:15 PM
oiler-dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookie boy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
The Airport was closed last November.
Thought I read the other day on Connect2Edmonton that the municipal by-law for height restriction is lifted, but the official NAV Canada overlay is still there, because Government works slow. So they'd need approval, but since there are no runways, I don't imagine there would be any problems in getting it.

oiler-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Philly85*
I Ain't Even Mad

They need to make Edmonton downtown more walk friendly, more European/cosmopolitan. Make things denser. Still too spacy and random in certain areas. Need more areas like the one off Jasper and 100 st, with 100, The Craft, Sherlock Holmes etc. and 104 st, where they set up the markets and have The Helm, Workhall etc.

Philly85* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Speed220DChalavan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I see only darkness View Post
I just got back from NYC and took a tour of the newly renovated MSG and I can say wow am I excited about the new arena. That place was beautiful. The scoreboard was awesome and the 17 degree seating angle made every seat a great view. It was set up for the boxing match that was held last Saturday but the views were awesome.

Can't wait
Thinly veiled brag about going to NYC.

Speed220DChalavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 01:54 PM
McPuritania
Fire Woodcroft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
They need to make Edmonton downtown more walk friendly, more European/cosmopolitan. Make things denser. Still too spacy and random in certain areas. Need more areas like the one off Jasper and 100 st, with 100, The Craft, Sherlock Holmes etc. and 104 st, where they set up the markets and have The Helm, Workhall etc.
Absolutely. They also need to provide more foliage. It gets hot as **** in the summer, and more shade downtown would go a long way to making it nicer all around. I'm going to keep pushing the need for a lot of greenery and trees in the area. It will go a long way to making a fantastic district amazing.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 02:27 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by I see only darkness View Post

Can't wait
It strikes me that a 17degree seating angle would produce horrible sightlines of an ice surface and with tall people in row in front(or with large hats, my favorite) blocking view.

How could you gauge the view in an empty building during a tour?

17degrees seems way too slight to offer each row an adequate view. I'd like to see steeper inclines which can result in better and less obstructed views.

Old
08-02-2014, 03:05 PM
RipsADrive
Be afraid

Quote:
It strikes me that a 17degree seating angle would produce horrible sightlines of an ice surface and with tall people in row in front(or with large hats, my favorite) blocking view.

How could you gauge the view in an empty building during a tour?

17degrees seems way too slight to offer each row an adequate view. I'd like to see steeper inclines which can result in better and less obstructed views.
17 degrees does seem very gradual to me.

By the time you're in the nose bleeds you're going to be extremely far from the ice.

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipsADrive View Post

By the time you're in the nose bleeds you're going to be extremely far from the ice.
I absolutely loved the view in the ol Maple Leaf Gardens. From the upper tier you'd lean over and feel like if you leaned too far you might end up on center ice... You could almost get fear of heights.

It was exciting and feeling like being on top of the action compared to most rinks I've been. Definitely you are closer to the action.

Old
08-02-2014, 03:57 PM
Wheathead
Formally a McRib

Send a message via ICQ to Wheathead
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
That works in places where it doesn't hit -40 in the winter.

You have to remember that yeah, prairie summers are awesome, but the late fall/winter/early spring isn't all that nice.

Realistically, a small percentage of the population is going to spend a lot of time walking around downtown anywhere in -30 and colder.

Wheathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 04:41 PM
s7ark
Fast and Up - JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRib View Post
That works in places where it doesn't hit -40 in the winter.

You have to remember that yeah, prairie summers are awesome, but the late fall/winter/early spring isn't all that nice.

Realistically, a small percentage of the population is going to spend a lot of time walking around downtown anywhere in -30 and colder.
Not to go too far off topic, but that is where I think the pedway system comes in. The city needs to expand that and spruce up the design. Some plants and decoration would go a long way. A fully developed pedway system would allow downtown residents to still walk most places when it's cold outside. The city could help finance it with increased tax revenue from the businesses along the system.

Edmonton gets cold, so there are months people just stay in with friends mostly. But it is better for a local economy when people want to leave their houses and wander and perhaps spend money. The pedway system seems like a great solution for downtown residents. It could be turned into a really nice walk that people do for fun during cold days. And they could frequent restaurants/bars and businesses that it connects.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2014, 10:20 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Quote:

95 degrees or bust... get some proper viewing angles in there... something other rinks can't come close to... make it so Katz.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
95 degrees or bust... get some proper viewing angles in there... something other rinks can't come close to... make it so Katz.
You want people to hang off the walls?

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 12:27 AM
RipsADrive
Be afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Still too small. I'm looking for a full 360 degrees.

I'm not even sure what that is supposed to look like but this arena needs to be world class damnit!

RipsADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 12:39 AM
Cloned
Dial M for Michelle

Quote:
Still too small. I'm looking for a full 360 degrees.

I'm not even sure what that is supposed to look like but this arena needs to be world class damnit!
Holographic arena dome where the game is visualized in 3D from within the playing surface.

Get 'er done Mr. Katz.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 12:49 AM
McPuritania
Fire Woodcroft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Holographic arena dome where the game is visualized in 3D from within the playing surface.

Get 'er done Mr. Katz.
Not in my back yard.

McPuritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 02:10 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post

Get 'er done Mr. Katz.
pffft. You guys are way off here.

I propose a rocket propulsion system that lifts the entire complex up in the sky every time an Oiler scores.

Who needs a horn.

Bring it home Katz, bring it home!

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Mcnofool6110
#bringbacktheTeddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
pffft. You guys are way off here.

I propose a rocket propulsion system that lifts the entire complex up in the sky every time an Oiler scores.

Who needs a horn.

Bring it home Katz, bring it home!
Something something snarky shouldn't there be one to rocket us down when the other team scores followed by how that's already happening in Rexall.

I dunno guys, this fever is making me crazy. Bed ridden for 4 days. Tell Yakimov to score me some goals.

Mcnofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote