HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rogers Place Construction Thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-25-2014, 10:36 PM
  #776
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
What exactly needs to get done before the winter? I know little of construction but hopefully they can continue to make progress during the winter.
The main thing that "needs" to get done before winter would be sub surface utilities. Basically anything that involves digging.

Anything can be done in the winter it just costs more for hording, temporary utilities, etc. To keep costs under control the more done now the better.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 10:37 PM
  #777
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Makes A LOT of posts in the previous arena debate threads look downright silly.
They looked silly even when they were made.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 10:55 PM
  #778
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,498
vCash: 500
"Hi we're holding a meeting at Stantec Center. The public is welcome to come along to see a big big announcement, (whatever this is), at our Stantec Center (wherever that is) and we do hope you can show up and be quiet and respectful. Especially don't tell Replacement where this is, oh but he probably googled the address by now.."

To be helpful, and since the announcement isn't and for anybody not living downtown Stantec happens to be located at 112st and 101ave but I presume were somehow supposed to know that..

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 10:58 PM
  #779
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Makes A LOT of posts in the previous arena debate threads look downright silly.
How so? Plus please explain how an Arena has created a boom that is being felt all over Edmonton and has been for a decade?

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-25-2014, 11:40 PM
  #780
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
They looked silly even when they were made.
The arena is going to be a wonderful place to watch hockey games but it will never be a smart financial decision. It's a "We're a real city, see!" type decision that is going to cost taxpayers money.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 12:09 AM
  #781
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,133
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Love the big towers!

Hopefully we get a bar in this mixed tower on a higher floor (love bars/clubs in high rises )

As a younger guy, its safe to say Calgary has a much better downtown, hopefully Edmonton catches up soon
Calgary's downtown crushes Edmonton's, but Edmonton's has massive potential, I don't know if it will ever be able to realize it though due to a number of factors, Could go either way. This is a nice start however.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 12:26 AM
  #782
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
The arena is going to be a wonderful place to watch hockey games but it will never be a smart financial decision. It's a "We're a real city, see!" type decision that is going to cost taxpayers money.
It was always going to cost taxpayers money, whether the team stayed on Rexall or moved to a new arena downtown.

Development surrounding the arena makes it a win for the city and it's taxpayers over the long run.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 02:51 AM
  #783
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO
 
Oiltankjob Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabomb View Post
Sounds like a big announcement coming tomorrow regarding the EAD, most likely to do with the Stantec tower. Can't wait to see the renderings and how tall this baby will be. An announcement on the hotel would be sweet too.

Edm Arena District
‏@edmontonAD
Psssst...stay tuned! There are some new BIG things to report later this week. #Edmonton #YEG

https://twitter.com/edmontonAD/statu...35033052426241


vinesh pratap @vineshpratap
according to release: "new mixed-use tower"

will house 17 hundred #stantec employees in #yegarena district
Rumor has it its over 200 m

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 04:44 AM
  #784
Krut
Registered User
 
Krut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
How so? Plus please explain how an Arena has created a boom that is being felt all over Edmonton and has been for a decade?
Huh?

You'll just never admit to being wrong. All we heard from you for years is that there's no proof an arena will spur development, and then when it actually does all of a sudden it isn't that great because some of the developers aren't local (lol) and now this absurd comment. I must have missed all the high rises going up this rapidly in the downtown core in the decade prior to the rink being announced. Never mind the developers that flat out say they wouldn't think about building of there wasn't a rink going up.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Krut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 08:02 AM
  #785
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
It was always going to cost taxpayers money, whether the team stayed on Rexall or moved to a new arena downtown.

Development surrounding the arena makes it a win for the city and it's taxpayers over the long run.
This whole conversation has been played out in these forums (and in forums of other cities who go down this road) in the past so I won't rehash it all again. Let's just say I don't see things in the same positive light as you appear to.

I look forward to enjoying the team at the new arena though, regardless of the economics of it all.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 08:30 AM
  #786
Zihuatanejo
Rookie User
 
Zihuatanejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
I won't pretend to know the specifics of any economical benefits or lack thereof, that being said as an Oiler fan not residing in Edmonton the prospect of a new arena makes me very excited to travel to the city for games.

I do try and get to at least one game a year but I can see that number going up with a more accessible location and easier access to "suitable hotels and restaurants". (If I'm paying for the trip to Edmonton I don't want to be staying and eating in places that make me worried for my health).

Zihuatanejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 08:49 AM
  #787
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,596
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
"Hi we're holding a meeting at Stantec Center. The public is welcome to come along to see a big big announcement, (whatever this is), at our Stantec Center (wherever that is) and we do hope you can show up and be quiet and respectful. Especially don't tell Replacement where this is, oh but he probably googled the address by now.."

To be helpful, and since the announcement isn't and for anybody not living downtown Stantec happens to be located at 112st and 101ave but I presume were somehow supposed to know that..



Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 08:54 AM
  #788
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,287
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
The main thing that "needs" to get done before winter would be sub surface utilities. Basically anything that involves digging.

Anything can be done in the winter it just costs more for hording, temporary utilities, etc. To keep costs under control the more done now the better.
Hopefully unlike the last leg of the Anthony Henday they understand this.


Also, I read something about two towers going up in Chinatown.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 08:55 AM
  #789
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,596
vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zihuatanejo View Post
I won't pretend to know the specifics of any economical benefits or lack thereof, that being said as an Oiler fan not residing in Edmonton the prospect of a new arena makes me very excited to travel to the city for games.

I do try and get to at least one game a year but I can see that number going up with a more accessible location and easier access to "suitable hotels and restaurants". (If I'm paying for the trip to Edmonton I don't want to be staying and eating in places that make me worried for my health).
your health, or your safety?

fancy hotels and restaurants are just as likely to have health violations than your average joe type of place. expensive or "nice" doesn't always mean clean.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 08:56 AM
  #790
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,287
vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
your health, or your safety?

fancy hotels and restaurants are just as likely to have health violations than your average joe type of place. expensive or "nice" doesn't always mean clean.
But going to the closest hotel and bar to Rexall sure as hell isn't the safest place to be.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 09:21 AM
  #791
Oilerz
Registered User
 
Oilerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: River City. E-Town
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,328
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Huh?

You'll just never admit to being wrong. All we heard from you for years is that there's no proof an arena will spur development, and then when it actually does all of a sudden it isn't that great because some of the developers aren't local (lol) and now this absurd comment. I must have missed all the high rises going up this rapidly in the downtown core in the decade prior to the rink being announced. Never mind the developers that flat out say they wouldn't think about building of there wasn't a rink going up.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
Preach!

Oilerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 09:31 AM
  #792
Zihuatanejo
Rookie User
 
Zihuatanejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
But going to the closest hotel and bar to Rexall sure as hell isn't the safest place to be.
Yes this was my point, without being rude and naming specific locations. I did live in Edmonton for many years while going to school so I am very familiar with the area around where our current arena is. Call me crazy but it's not very inviting or the kind of place you want to vacation to on a regular basis. Moving the location of the arena will be a great boon to vacationing Oiler fans.

Zihuatanejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 09:35 AM
  #793
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doulos View Post
This whole conversation has been played out in these forums (and in forums of other cities who go down this road) in the past so I won't rehash it all again. Let's just say I don't see things in the same positive light as you appear to.

I look forward to enjoying the team at the new arena though, regardless of the economics of it all.
I don't really have all that positive of an outlook on the situation. We'll see how things play out on the construction, but even if there are no extra costs in those areas, it's probable that Katz and friends will be demanding renovations/renegotations in 10 - 15 years.

Time will tell how the city does on the economics of the deal, but the actual anti-arena crowd never really had much of a leg to stand on. Even if they had won out, it would only have delayed things as money would have to be spent on something at some point(a different arena project, or the unappealing route of rexall renovations/replacement etc)

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 09:36 AM
  #794
Zihuatanejo
Rookie User
 
Zihuatanejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
your health, or your safety?

fancy hotels and restaurants are just as likely to have health violations than your average joe type of place. expensive or "nice" doesn't always mean clean.
It was a tongue and cheek reference to the less than hospitable environment the arena is currently in. In terms of attracting new fans or people from outside of Edmonton to come to the city and deem seeing an Oiler game as a desirable addition to their list of activities, it's current location is not very suitable to that.

Zihuatanejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 10:04 AM
  #795
doulos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I don't really have all that positive of an outlook on the situation. We'll see how things play out on the construction, but even if there are no extra costs in those areas, it's probable that Katz and friends will be demanding renovations/renegotations in 10 - 15 years.

Time will tell how the city does on the economics of the deal, but the actual anti-arena crowd never really had much of a leg to stand on. Even if they had won out, it would only have delayed things as money would have to be spent on something at some point(a different arena project, or the unappealing route of rexall renovations/replacement etc)
I don't agree at all, but that's fine. We can both agree that it will be fun to be in the new building, and hopefully watching a better Oiler team as well.

doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 10:08 AM
  #796
Dabomb
Registered User
 
Dabomb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
well another hour and half and we'll see our new tallest tower for Edmonton. I feel like a kid on Christmas morning.

Dabomb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 10:15 AM
  #797
fysloc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 321
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
"Hi we're holding a meeting at Stantec Center. The public is welcome to come along to see a big big announcement, (whatever this is), at our Stantec Center (wherever that is) and we do hope you can show up and be quiet and respectful. Especially don't tell Replacement where this is, oh but he probably googled the address by now.."

To be helpful, and since the announcement isn't and for anybody not living downtown Stantec happens to be located at 112st and 101ave but I presume were somehow supposed to know that..
I'm pretty sure the message posted was for employees of Stantec only. They only invited the media, didn't say they invited the general public.

And Stantec centre is their headquarters in downtown...

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 10:41 AM
  #798
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krut View Post
Huh?

You'll just never admit to being wrong. All we heard from you for years is that there's no proof an arena will spur development, and then when it actually does all of a sudden it isn't that great because some of the developers aren't local (lol) and now this absurd comment. I must have missed all the high rises going up this rapidly in the downtown core in the decade prior to the rink being announced. Never mind the developers that flat out say they wouldn't think about building of there wasn't a rink going up.

Can't wait to see what you come up with next.
I guess you missed Pearl, Icon twin towers, Fox towers, the towers going up in Stationlands just to name some and I don't keep up on this stuff as much.

Also the RAM going up for infrastructure.

You can think I'm wrong, and that's fine, but its an odd view as well because nobody, not even Farbrother was saying that an arena alone was going to spur development. What was expected is that the arena would serve as one of many conjoint catalysts and priorities to get things jumping in downtown. This including such things as Art Gallery, new LRT lines leading to downtown, RAM as mentioned, work on Jasper Avenue, etc.

I'm wrong in that the arena is seemingly a part catalyst. I'll admit that. I'm surprised at that. Maybe in time if things line up I'll admit that the investment could be worthwhile if it looks like the taxbase is increasing accordingly to recoup investment. Of course its too early for that.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 10:45 AM
  #799
Speed220BChalavan
Registered User
 
Speed220BChalavan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 100
vCash: 500
Credible sources suggesting it will be 230M - 60-62 storey's. Mixed use - 30 office, 30 condo. Will be Edmonton's new tallest by far. Manulife/Epcor are in the 146-148M range for comparison.

The Bow in Calgary is 238M for reference.

City is growing before our very own eyes.

Speed220BChalavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2014, 10:53 AM
  #800
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed220BChalavan View Post
Credible sources suggesting it will be 230M - 60-62 storey's. Mixed use - 30 office, 30 condo. Will be Edmonton's new tallest by far. Manulife/Epcor are in the 146-148M range for comparison.

The Bow in Calgary is 238M for reference.

City is growing before our very own eyes.
One source from what I've heard and from the other board we know who it is.

Again I'd be amazed. Not sure why you would build a 230M tower in Edmonton or if the clay composition here would even be that ideal for a building of that height. Would require pretty incredible base and concrete piles for a tower of this height to be built here.

Not to mention relaxing of some height restrictions which for some reason are still in effect.

Oh, and the Bow is a beautiful building. We'll see what this one looks like.

Gotta say as well that in the new millennium a lot of the fun of these things have gone away. The main reason you would want a tower of this height as a citizen is if you had a chance to go up the tower and look at the building and the new viewpoint. They don't make these public viewing platforms a part of these builds anymore and there isn't one at the Bow, not at EPCOR, and not likely at this one. Nice to look at I guess but you never get up there unless you work there.

Would be nice for Edmonton to have even one publicly available viewing platform from any tower downtown. We're the only city I know of that doesn't have this.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.