HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rogers Place Construction Thread

Old
03-24-2014, 08:09 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 500
So...the pictures are great and all, it certainly LOOKS like there is work being done. But what exactly are we seeing in the photos? Are they currently digging trenches for the pipes and such? Are they starting to grade the area at the moment?

The pics are fantastic and much appreciated...BUT I WANT MORE CONTEXT DAMMNIT.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 08:46 PM
n7

Awesome pictures.

Love the high rez shots.

Keep it up!

n7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:20 PM
OilChuck
Clutch and Crutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
So...the pictures are great and all, it certainly LOOKS like there is work being done. But what exactly are we seeing in the photos? Are they currently digging trenches for the pipes and such? Are they starting to grade the area at the moment?

The pics are fantastic and much appreciated...BUT I WANT MORE CONTEXT DAMMNIT.

They are digging out the parking garage below the Arena. 3 stories deep I believe. Gotta go backwards a bit before it goes forward. Still too early for ground work(Under slab piping and electrical) I would think.

OilChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2014, 09:24 PM
Hockey Nightmare

How many backhoes did they ruin breaking through that frozen ground?

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 12:03 PM
gokeefe

This is going to be an epic thread. Keep up the good work.

gokeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 06:02 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

Tuesday March 25, 2014

high resolution image link: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4...03-25-2014.jpg

Last edited by Slicknitty: 04-09-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: fixed secure links
Slicknitty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 07:23 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
The whole area north of the new arena site needs to be redeveloped. It's not just the site of Boyle Street Community Services that brings undesirables to the area but also the Hope Mission is just a couple of blocks north along with an overall sketchy look and feel over there. Essentially the city is building its new crown jewel in the area it decided to concentrate the less fortunate. But now that the arena is under construction, the asking price for the land in this area is going to go sky high. It's looking like another expensive solution for the planning mistakes of the past. So unless you start walking south towards Jasper Ave after a game, you might still feel the need to flee the area for some time.
There would never have been a conscious decision to concentrate lower income people in any particular area of the city. If anything the city has made conscious efforts to keep services for the needy out of Edmonton's "distressed neighbourhoods" due to some misguided advocacy by community leagues in those neighbourhoods.

Ghettos tend to form due to a number of reasons. Economic forces, like attracts like, walkability, etc. No planning mistakes to be atoned for here, other than perhaps the original route plan of the LRT.

This is an area of the city that needed to be re-developed and well be. Ten years from now the transformation in the area will be amazing.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2014, 07:28 PM
NugentHopkinsfan

Those daily pictures are awesome! please keep taking them!

NugentHopkinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:41 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilChuck View Post
They are digging out the parking garage below the Arena. 3 stories deep I believe. Gotta go backwards a bit before it goes forward. Still too early for ground work(Under slab piping and electrical) I would think.
At this rate there won't be any need for parking at the new facility..

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 12:48 AM
Hockey Nightmare

Yeah these look great, now all we need is for someone to start building us a hockey team...

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 01:02 AM
PETRYDISH

Appreciate the pics!

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 10:52 AM
fysloc

I'm not really seeing any changes or deeper hole being dug in the past few pictures. It's especially in stark contrast to Japan where I just went to vacation and got back from. One night, a building would be there, the next morning, the entire building has a full blown crane and scaffolding structure set up.

I was like .... when did that happen?

Then 2 days later, scaffolding structure torn down and building repaired with new sidewalks. Efficiency man, efficiency.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 11:53 AM
SephF
See you next time

I can see my apartment from your pictures, you must be in epcor tower right?

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 05:23 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

Wednesday March 26, 2014

High resolution image link: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4...03-26-2014.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I can see my apartment from your pictures, you must be in epcor tower right?
yup.

Last edited by Slicknitty: 04-09-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: fixed secure links
Old
03-26-2014, 06:37 PM
oiLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysloc View Post
I'm not really seeing any changes or deeper hole being dug in the past few pictures. It's especially in stark contrast to Japan where I just went to vacation and got back from. One night, a building would be there, the next morning, the entire building has a full blown crane and scaffolding structure set up.

I was like .... when did that happen?

Then 2 days later, scaffolding structure torn down and building repaired with new sidewalks. Efficiency man, efficiency.
Looks to me like they are making pretty good progress. The latest picture shows 8 track hoes working. Unfortunately earth work takes time and is more complex process than people give it credit for. By the looks of it there is three hoes ripping (frost picking to make the material workable) and 5 hoes digging. If this was a a different time of year obviously they would just use paddle scrapers and work less hoes but alas Edmonton is still frozen.

They also seem to be a number of hydraulic hammers that are presumably pounding foundation piles throughout the site. Not to mention all of the miscellaneous other machinery working dozers skid steers and rock trucks.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2014, 06:49 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokeefe View Post
This is going to be an epic thread. Keep up the good work.
My sentiments exactly.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 12:18 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
There would never have been a conscious decision to concentrate lower income people in any particular area of the city. If anything the city has made conscious efforts to keep services for the needy out of Edmonton's "distressed neighbourhoods" due to some misguided advocacy by community leagues in those neighbourhoods.

Ghettos tend to form due to a number of reasons. Economic forces, like attracts like, walkability, etc. No planning mistakes to be atoned for here, other than perhaps the original route plan of the LRT.

This is an area of the city that needed to be re-developed and well be. Ten years from now the transformation in the area will be amazing.
That's so wrong. When the government builds low income housing or gives permits for several soup kitchens to be built within a few blocks of each other what do you think they're doing? These are both planned and deliberate. Look at the addresses of the Hope Mission at 9908-106 Ave, Boyle Street Community Services at 10116 105 Ave, the Bissell Center at 10527 96 st, the Mustard Seed at 10568 114 St etc. 105 Ave or 106 Ave shows up on all their addresses, does that seem like a fluke to you?

It's not like they put these in Strathearn or Royal Glenora. They put them on the fringes of downtown in sketchy areas where these people live or stay so they have easy access to their services. These things don't happen in a vacuum. Developers choose not to revitalize an older area when the market isn't there and the city chooses not to give these developers sweet incentives to revitalize these areas when the market wasn't there. We've gone through more than one real estate boom yet the poor parts of town are still the poor parts of town.

Now that a major project has been dropped into this area people are talking about revitalization of the poor area. The project is a deliberate planning move by the city, developers and Rexall Sports. It didn't just happen because our economy is strong otherwise it would've happened before.

Look at east downtown, there's a lot of work being done just east of Canada Place and a couple of hotels are going up including a Hyatt and now there's talk of multiple projects going up to "revitalize" the area after the first couple projects have been approved. It's totally deliberate man.

The Big Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 01:15 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Just reading through this thread, it's like all the positivity went from the Oilers to the hope a new arena provides.

I love you guys all. Especially SlickNitty, though, no offense.

nofool6110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 05:30 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

Thursday March 27, 2014

They dug a lot of dirt out today. At one point I saw almost 20 dump trucks looping around in the middle of the development getting loaded up...I wanted to take a picture but I figured they'd be around all day. I'll get them next time.

High resolution image: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4...03-27-2014.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofool6110 View Post
Just reading through this thread, it's like all the positivity went from the Oilers to the hope a new arena provides.

I love you guys all. Especially SlickNitty, though, no offense.
no offense taken here, thanks!

Last edited by Slicknitty: 04-09-2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: fixed secure links
Old
03-27-2014, 06:51 PM
czar99

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pourinthecoal View Post
Bravo Slicknitty this thread may become an all time great, my hat goes off to you on this project. However, I hope you know what you're getting into here. From this point on to 2016, you are not allowed to get a promotion, get fired, or change offices in any way, shape or form. No sick days or holidays allowed either.

Get ready to become a legend my friend, this may gain some national exposure when complete.

By the way, the camera is just fine, pics look great.

They should name a pub in the arena after him. Slicknitty's has a nice ring to it.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 08:28 PM
KlimasLoveChild

Quite the circle jerk going on by the 2 dumpsters there. I hope they didn't light those up as a tribute to the Oil.

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2014, 08:42 PM
TKB21

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlimasLoveChild View Post
Quite the circle jerk going on by the 2 dumpsters there. I hope they didn't light those up as a tribute to the Oil.
"Safety" meeting I'm sure...

TKB21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 05:15 PM
Slicknitty
"80,000 peoples"

Friday March 28, 2014

High resolution image: http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4...03-28-2014.jpg

Last edited by Slicknitty: 04-09-2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: fixed secure links
Old
03-28-2014, 05:21 PM
Hugo Stiglitz

vCash: 400
Excellent thread!

For those of you on twitter, follow @YEGArenaBuild, who's doing the exact same thing, but from a different location.

Hugo Stiglitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2014, 07:32 PM
EgoEakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicknitty View Post
Friday March 28, 2014

High resolution image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...03-28-2014.jpg
Hopefully you can take the same image "Fixed Tripod" every day, Then make a time lapse video of it. They would probably play that on the scoreboard, opening night..

Keep up the great updates...

EgoEakins is offline   Reply With Quote