HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Closes quarters defensive tactics

Old
03-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Mattio

vCash: 754
Closes quarters defensive tactics

I am fairly new to playing hockey and I'm confused as to what to do with my stick as I get close to the opposing player on defense. I feel like I come within inches of the puck all the time but can't make those steals/interceptions... Do you guys keep your stick in close to your body to sucker them in and then go in for the kill when you see an opportunity or do you keep your stick out and sweep? Also, when you know they're about to pass in a certain direction do you hold the blade on the ice or keep it off the ice an inch or two so it's easier to stop the saucer pass??

Thanks!!

Matt

Mattio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2014, 09:15 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Diversity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattio View Post
I am fairly new to playing hockey and I'm confused as to what to do with my stick as I get close to the opposing player on defense. I feel like I come within inches of the puck all the time but can't make those steals/interceptions... Do you guys keep your stick in close to your body to sucker them in and then go in for the kill when you see an opportunity or do you keep your stick out and sweep? Also, when you know they're about to pass in a certain direction do you hold the blade on the ice or keep it off the ice an inch or two so it's easier to stop the saucer pass??

Thanks!!

Matt
You have to use a variety of approaches to avoid being predictable.

Canadiens1958 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2014, 04:37 AM
American in Paris

I try to skate at them on a vector bi-secting their passing options. As I move in, I spread my legs wide and bend my knees to make myself as stable as possible. I wave my stick (two hands on it) back and forth in a non-predictable way across the player's available passing angles.

I've learned not to skate too fast at the player. If you give him a bit of time while eliminating the opportunity to make a clean pass, you can often get him to make a mistake.

If he doesn't unload the puck by the time you get there, skate right into him. I play on a non-checking team, so this is a gentle nudge... but hard enough to knock him off balance as I poke for the puck and check his stick.

American in Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 11:55 AM
chapel

I play the body. There's too much variation in the stick. Make them think you're going to play the puck, then play the body.

chapel is offline   Reply With Quote