HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Why was Snow so quick to get rid of Moulson

Old
03-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Isles Junkie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
You can't be a one line team and win anything. I really don't care about Vanek padding JT & KO's stats. I'd rather have a more well rounded team and a winning season. To be honest I think Vanek hurt us this year because they were trying to coddle him so he would resign. We were so top heavy with that one line that it should have been changed up but they didn't want to piss Vanek off by dropping him down.
of course we can't be a 1 line team. but we were a 1 line team with Moulson also.

not to veer too far off topic, but the main problem with the Islanders forwards isn't Moulson v Vanek. it's the total and complete absence of Josh Bailey and to a lesser degree Michael Grabner this season.

Hopefully the combination of Strome, Lee, Nelson & the reliable Nielsen give us a good 2nd line next year.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnceAgain View Post
I think you are forgetting that the Islanders were a playoff team last year, and this year we were in a playoff spot when Snow made that trade
Playoff spot? He made the trade in October.

Quote:
So what is your plan, when Vanek does not get the offers he is hoping for should we raise our offer to 8 years at 56 Million?
If you're asking whether I'd rather have Moulson or Vanek, then yes... I'd rather have Vanek. Whether it was worth the expense of assets or whatever is a different question. My plan would be to get a player better than Matt Moulson.

Snow failed for sure, but at least he tried to get something better.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:09 PM
2LeftSkates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
Snow failed
Fixed your post. Same as last year, and the one before that.
It has little to do with Moulson, and everything to do with being over your head in your job.

2LeftSkates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:22 PM
bigd

After last seasons playoff exit all us fans knew what the team needed to take the next step. Why didn't Snow know what was needed? Bring back Nabby as your #1 tender, Big fail. Bring in low lying fruit in Regin and PBM, Big fail, expect rookie Donovan to take over for Mark Streit, Big fail. So the season gets underway and we go make a lateral move at best, still, without addressing our obvious needs, an even bigger fail! There is no one to blame more than Snowflake. That's more than three strikes, he should be out!

Last edited by bigd: 03-19-2014 at 12:50 PM.
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:30 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Big Brock

People here seem to forget that when Moulson was actually on the team, he held JT back and we were calling for his head. He was far from the reason they made the playoffs last year.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:36 PM
seabass45

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
People here seem to forget that when Moulson was actually on the team, he held JT back and we were calling for his head. He was far from the reason they made the playoffs last year.
I wouldn't go as far to say "calling for his head", but yeah, remember when he was demoted to the third line in the playoffs?

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:40 PM
gramatanboy

Quote:
After last seasons playoff exit all us fans knew what the team needed to take the next step. Why didn't Snow know what was needed? Bring back Nabby as your #1 tender, Big fail. Bring in low lying fruit in Regin and PBM, Big fail, expect rookie Donovan to take over for Mark Streit, Big fail. So the season gets underway and we go make a lateral move at best, still, without addressing our obvious needs, an even bigger fail! There is no one to blame more than Snowflake.
I think that these three points are more important to the reason why the Islanders have been terrible this year than the trade of MM. Moulson reminds me a lot of Derek King--good size & scoring ability, but no defensive or physical play. You do not win in the playoffs with guys like Moulson and maybe the same can be said of Vanek. You win with guys that play a well rounded game and will sacrifice their body to block shots and then jump up and get back into the play to help on the offense, which we know MM would never be able to do. Think higher standards my Islander friends and don't mourn the loss of Moulson. Now having said that, SNOW and CAPUANO need to go as well if the Isles are to become a true Stanley Cup contender in the not too distant future and unfortunately, I don't think that this will happen next year.

gramatanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:42 PM
MattMartin
KillerInstinct™

Send a message via MSN to MattMartin
Quote:
After last seasons playoff exit all us fans knew what the team needed to take the next step. Why didn't Snow know what was needed? Bring back Nabby as your #1 tender, Big fail. Bring in low lying fruit in Regin and PBM, Big fail, expect rookie Donovan to take over for Mark Streit, Big fail. So the season gets underway and we go make a lateral move at best, still, without addressing our obvious needs, an even bigger fail! There is no one to blame more than Snowflake.
I will play devils advocate here.

Many of us (including the media) thought last year was UFA class was pretty awful to say the least. Throw in the bloated contracts/years to average players didn't help either. There was very little help on the D side as well as Goaltending. I would have liked to get Bernier,Bishop, or Khudobin in. Bishop went at the deadline and LA didn't like our offer on JB. Khudobin was the head scratcher in the situation, but, we don't what exactly transpired there either.

Let us all hope that we get in the top 3 and land either Ekblad, Bennett, or Reinhart.
Let us hope we sign a #1 goalie, namely Halak, Miller, or Hiller.
Let us hope we can land Pitkanen.
Let us hope we can have one last playoff series at the old barn.

MattMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:44 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
The really bad things about the Vanek trade:

1. giving up too much to get him, specifically including the 1st round pick. MM + two 2nd rounders would have been much better;

2. sucking so bad afterwards and not doing anything (coach, goalie, defense) to fix it.

I suspect Snow was talking to Regier about Miller for a huge price tag, and when that fell apart Snow had been sufficiently softened-up and was hoodwinked into giving up too much for Vanek instead.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:47 PM
doublechili

vCash: 600
I've never understood this fanbase wanting to overpay mediocre guys who played for us when we also sucked. How about, let's get new guys who are more than mediocre so that we don't suck anymore.

The problem with this team is not that we don't have Moulson, it's that the coach and goaltending stink with no end in sight, and the defense stinks with a potential fix 2-3 years away. The forwards don't quite stink, but they still lack experience and size/grit to various degrees.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 12:52 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
I've never understood this fanbase wanting to overpay mediocre guys who played for us when we also sucked. How about, let's get new guys who are more than mediocre so that we don't suck anymore.

The problem with this team is not that we don't have Moulson, it's that the coach and goaltending stink with no end in sight, and the defense stinks with a potential fix 2-3 years away. The forwards don't quite stink, but they still lack experience and size/grit to various degrees.
When you put them all together the stink gets on everyone, even the forwards.

Old
03-19-2014, 12:54 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechili View Post
1. giving up too much to get him, specifically including the 1st round pick. MM + two 2nd rounders would have been much better;
I don't think the trade would have looked so bad if the Islanders made the playoffs(which at the time they were fighting for a playoff spot)

It's just Islanders luck they got a couple key injuries around the time of the trade and tanked for the next dozen of games

boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:03 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
I don't think the trade would have looked so bad if the Islanders made the playoffs(which at the time they were fighting for a playoff spot)

It's just Islanders luck they got a couple key injuries around the time of the trade and tanked for the next dozen of games
A good GM plans for injuries acquiring quality depth players at key positions. Another Snowflake failure! There's really no excuse for taking a step this far backwards.

Old
03-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Strome18

Quote:
A good GM plans for injuries acquiring quality depth players at key positions. Another Snowflake failure! There's really no excuse for taking a step this far backwards.
Wrong, he can but resources will come in 2 ways.

a) financially capable
b) wanting to come

The Isles lack in both cases.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:16 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strome18 View Post
Wrong, he can but resources will come in 2 ways.

a) financially capable
b) wanting to come

The Isles lack in both cases.
I don't buy that excuse!

Old
03-19-2014, 01:18 PM
MJF

Is there anyone here who thinks Moulson is going to be any better than he is right now? A 30 goal scorer who is not physical and weak defensively. And who here would pay him first line forward money?

I think that's what went through Snow's head when he made the trade for Vanek.

MJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:23 PM
First Blood

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOcFsE0ud7k

Hope it burns we knew Vanek was gonna test the market yet he still made the trade

Guy was an Islander thick and thin. He loved being here. You don't get of players like that. He wanted to be a part of this blank future until Brooklyn.

First Blood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:25 PM
Strome18

Quote:
I don't buy that excuse!
So you do not buy that Wang is cheap?
So you do not buy that players do not want to come to LI?

Old
03-19-2014, 01:34 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strome18 View Post
So you do not buy that Wang is cheap?
So you do not buy that players do not want to come to LI?
They just offered Vanek 50 mil and Amac 16 mil. I don't think that's coming out of Snows bonus fund. And no I don't buy the fact that he couldn't get good players to come here, esp after the progress that was made last season. But now taking a big step backward he may.

Old
03-19-2014, 01:38 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
4-4-3 and in a playoff spot, and the Isles did not have 1 bad game the entire season except for the night before when they were playing a Philly team that was due for a breakout game (and the Islanders had played and beat a Pittsburgh team in Pittsburgh the night before that game)
You must be trolling talking about playoff spots 11 games into the season...

Vanek is better than Moulson, it just isn't debatable. I don't care if he wanted to stay here, there is no room for him for a 5 year $STUPIDAMOUNTOFMONEYHERE deal.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 01:42 PM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post

Vanek is better than Moulson, it just isn't debatable. I don't care if he wanted to stay here, there is no room for him for a 5 year $STUPIDAMOUNTOFMONEYHERE deal.
There is no denying that Vanek is a superior player to Moulson but he did nothing to help this team move forward. I don't blame Vanek for that, I blame Snowflake.

Old
03-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Strome18

Quote:
They just offered Vanek 50 mil and Amac 16 mil. I don't think that's coming out of Snows bonus fund. And no I don't buy the fact that he couldn't get good players to come here, esp after the progress that was made last season. But now taking a big step backward he may.
Starters and backups are 2 different levels. He may get internal players to stay here but good reserves will not come here.

Old
03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
iLandHer

Quote:
There is no denying that Vanek is a superior player to Moulson but he did nothing to help this team move forward. I don't blame Vanek for that, I blame Snowflake.
People wanted a top end winger for Tavares, Snow addressed that. He should have prioritized better, I agree, but if Vanek signed we'd be pretty happy. Unless your saying we should've waited until the deadline to deal just Moulson?

It was a gambled and it failed. I'm much more pissed off at his return from the deadline deal involving Vanek and the lack of a real coach being brought in.

iLandHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 02:08 PM
OnceAgain*

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLandHer View Post

there is no room? Considering the Isles have one of the lowest payrolls in the league I would say there is alot of room

anyway good luck to yours and Snows team that you think is going to come together, having a proven 30 goal a year scorer who actually wanted to be here would have been awesome

and when you speak of 11 Games into the season, it was the Isles GM who thought the Isles were off to a "Unacceptable" start and they needed to make a deal

OnceAgain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2014, 02:21 PM
And You Feel Shame

Quote:
there is no room? Considering the Isles have one of the lowest payrolls in the league I would say there is alot of room
No room as in there is no proper spot on the roster for him. He's not the answer on the first line. He's the Dave Kingman of hockey, without the fame or notoriety.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find many more on these forums who share your confidence in his ability to serve as a proper complimentary player to Tavares for the next 4-6 years.

He will probably get his contract payday but whatever team gives it to him is going to probably regret it.

The ONLY reasons I would have considered resigning him to be a good idea would have been to keep Tavares happy and if they were moving him to another line on a contract of reasonable cost and term.

Vanek was a gamble that didn't pay out, but the 1st hurts the team a heck of a lot more than losing MM, and even at that it shouldn't make that large of an impact despite the absolute waste of a season we just endured.

And You Feel Shame is offline   Reply With Quote