HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Hockey in Great Britain, Early Years

Old
04-30-2014, 02:06 PM
Canadiens1958

vCash: 500
Hockey Tourists

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
That's an interesting and plausible suggestion, I'm gonna have to take a look at your thread about that topic again.

Also of interest (and probably to be seen in this context): The rise and fall of the Maritime Senior Hockey League from 1932-1935 with its talent pool of quality players from all over Canada. It's going to play a role when I get to the 1935 off-season.
The issue of "Hockey Tourists" players at the amateur or semi-pro level who made a living a short term hockey mercenaries was an on going concern in Canada in the mid 1930's. Steps were take to address the problem:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=267

Raids of Ontario teams by the Maritimes was a concern:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=248

Story about Dave Campbell one of the better known or admitted "Hockey Tourists"

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...6658%2C2300733

Includes his time on a European tour in 1927.

Last edited by Canadiens1958: 06-06-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:03 PM
WhiteTiger

Since this thread covers early British hockey... I'm wondering if anyone who's posted in it has any additional knowledge or information on the "Admiral Maxse Challenge Cup"?

I know it was put up for challenge by Princes IHC and was first won by Niagara IHC in 1898, and served as the British Championship in most years through 1931. I have not however managed to find results from any actual games played during that time period. Though I've also heard that the team "considered" to be the top squad in the country was often "awarded" the Cup.

WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 12:59 PM
Sanf

Okay I don´t know if this have much to do with hockey, but I found this regarding the 1913 Bandy EC.

24.01.1913 Finskt idrottsblad (Old finland-swedish sport newspaper)
Quote:
VÄRLDSMÄSTERSKAPET I BANDY, som tidigare var afsedt att försiggå i Stockholm vid Nordiska spelen, har man numera beslutit förlägga till Davos eller St Moritz i Schweiz...
With my weak english and even weaker swedish this loosely translates "Bandy World Championship which were supposed to take place in Nordic Games in Stockholm, is now supposed to take place in Davos or St. Moritz in Switzerland. (someone can do better tranlation)

I was searching other thing and just for fun decided to test if there is anything about that tournament in Finnish newspapers. Material before 1911 is free online, but this I would have to go to National library to check (this is everything that the search engine gave) . And going to Helsinki to read finland-swedish newspapers is not something that I look forward to. So is this old news?

Sanf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Sanf

Suomen Urheilulehti (Finnish language sport magazine) (22.2.1913 ) Verify that Leipzig just few days before the Nordic Games send a telegram that they can´t come (reason is not shown in free parts of the article). "almost all other foreign participants" had cancelled their participation earlier. Yet again I can see only see the "freebies" from this article.

Last edited by Sanf: 09-10-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old
09-11-2014, 04:18 PM
steve141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanf View Post
Okay I don´t know if this have much to do with hockey, but I found this regarding the 1913 Bandy EC.

24.01.1913 Finskt idrottsblad (Old finland-swedish sport newspaper)

With my weak english and even weaker swedish this loosely translates "Bandy World Championship which were supposed to take place in Nordic Games in Stockholm, is now supposed to take place in Davos or St. Moritz in Switzerland. (someone can do better tranlation)

I was searching other thing and just for fun decided to test if there is anything about that tournament in Finnish newspapers. Material before 1911 is free online, but this I would have to go to National library to check (this is everything that the search engine gave) . And going to Helsinki to read finland-swedish newspapers is not something that I look forward to. So is this old news?
Very interesting. I thought the consensus in this forum was that this event never took place, and that there were no contemporary sources. This seems to indicate that the event was at least PLANNED to take place, which is interesting in itself.

steve141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2014, 05:26 PM
Sanf

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve141 View Post
Very interesting. I thought the consensus in this forum was that this event never took place, and that there were no contemporary sources. This seems to indicate that the event was at least PLANNED to take place, which is interesting in itself.
I don´t know if there ever was consensus, but strong claims was made that this tournament was definitely a hoax (I wasn´t part of that discussion and might remember wrong). These few sentences from articles are poor proof of anything, but when there was a claim that heavy research was made I thought that these articles might have been familiar to the historians in here. I could make further research, but it would be quite pointless if these are already known and "debunked". The hoax claims was pretty much only thing that made this subject intresting to me.