HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Thu., Mar. 20, 2014| Stars 2 at Flyers 4

Old
03-21-2014, 10:56 AM
kelmitchell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Did I say that?

I was being serious, have you seen Lindros play?

JVR had one good series and we make him out to be a god. He is getting around 21 minutes of ice time in Toronto and still is playing pretty poorly on the defensive side of the game. Yes, he has produced offensively but that's not the end all in evaluating a player. He is on their PK for his speed, other than that I have no clue haha.

Don't get me wrong, JVR is a talented player, but he was very inconsistent here and the Flyers were never really happy with his decisions starting with his decision to go back to NH for another year. Not saying we should have traded him for Schenn but the kid probably needed a change of scenery more than anyone on the team at the time of the trade.
i was gonna say we have had more than jvr lol lindros hello leclair took over and dominated games as long as they weren't in the playoffs, mark recchi had that ability at times, i guess he doesn't recall the legion of doom

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 11:00 AM
ybnvs

Aspects of the game which stood out to me:

-Raffl is developing nicely, and also learning to how protect the puck with his body. His off-puck movement is improving, as he's positioning himself into open ice areas and learning how to predict the flow of the game much better. We need to get him signed soon. 3 yrs for 3.5m, methinks.

Mason - Couldn't ask for a goalie to stand on his head any better than that. Great game for him, especially in a game where our defense (aside from our first pair) struggled to maintain/clear the zone.

Defense - Coburn/Timonen were fine, as usual. It's hard to catch on TV sometimes, but when you watch Timonen live, you really see how old he is by the way he shies away from any and all hits and bumps. Considering his age and body, that is smart play, but every time he does get involved in a board battle I cringe at the possibility of his frail, old body shutting down and him getting seriously injured by the slightest of hits or if he slips and falls down onto the ice and breaks his hip like the old man he is.

Streit's offensive ability is starting to show, as our wingers are rotating, filling in and playing a more defensive role when he brings the puck up through the neutral zone. Grossman had a few moments of clarity and understanding of the game of hockey, where he played the man and took him out of the play. Overall, the 2nd pairing did okay, but there were numerous times I noticed where we couldn't clear the puck. Schenn/Mac are a good combo. Mac, as others have pointed out, is playing smart, calm defense, which allows Schenn to play the big-body defensive hockey we all know and expect from him. Schenn still scares me when he holds onto the puck, or any time he attempts a stretch pass, but with Mac playing so calm and collective, for now, it seems to be working out, as the acquisition of Mac has truly helped bolster our blue line and inspire more confidence for Mas/the team in general. He's eating up a lot of ice time, too, which is a very good thing. And yes, I saw a few of Schenn's giveaways/takeaways last night, too. Need to work with him on finding the outlets and knowing without looking where his men are "suppose" to be.

Simmers - Putting that A on his chest has been the best thing to happen for the guy. Love where his game is at right now; he's playing with the same intensity G brings to each game. He's most certainly stepping up as another team leader.

ybnvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 11:02 AM
kelmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Please find the quote where the Flyers rule out ever playing Laughton on the wing.
id also like to see that quote but i do think brayden schenn may be on his way out once laughton makes the jump that's just my opinion though

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 12:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

We're back to a positive goal differential . Actually, it might be the first time this season we are.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:19 PM
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
How quickly you forget that boston series. As god as my witness I have never seen a single player dominate a series like that wearing a flyers jersey. Everytime he was on the ice it was a breakaway.

The following year he got to a rough start , then had about 3 diffrent injuries during the year including a broken ankle. It was as if once he didnt materialize that year they thought he was done in philly , and were unable to look beyond the injuries and lack of production. That team was stacked on offense and JVR wasn't even on the main pp. You can't put a guy like him on the 3rd line and not give him pp time with giroux and expect him to produce.

Jvr had one good game and the announcers were saying the Flyers had an other superstar on their hands.

Legion of Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Primeau 04 > JVR 11

One actually almost willed his team to a Cup while the other willed his team to a sweep in the second round.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:32 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Primeau 04 > JVR 11

One actually almost willed his team to a Cup while the other willed his team to a sweep in the second round.
It isn't even close. That run was one man's will against the universe.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:35 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
We're back to a positive goal differential . Actually, it might be the first time this season we are.
The Flyers scored the first goal of their season... as soon as the Leafs took the lead in that game the Flyers had been playing catch up ever since.

03-21-2014, 01:37 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
It isn't even close. That run was one man's will against the universe.
Yup, I would even give the edge to Lindros in 97 despite the SCF. He steamrolled a Rangers team loaded with HoF's & all-stars.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2014, 01:41 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Primeau 04 > JVR 11

One of the few instances where the dreaded "AINEC" is fully appropriate.

JackStraw is online now   Reply With Quote