HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Your Game Plan For A Full Fledged Rebuild: Buffalo

Old
03-21-2014, 10:23 PM
Djp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeise View Post
I would be shocked if any of Baptiste, Compher, and Fasching are on this team in 2015-16. Compher and Fasching will have just finished up their sophomore seasons of college hockey and, if they're even signed away from Michigan and Minnesota, they'll need AHL seasoning. Baptiste will be in the OHL next year and won't go straight from the OHL to the NHL. I'm excited to see what he comes, but he'll need time in Rochester, too.
Baptiste turns pro and likely plays in Rochester w/ a potential call up

I see both Compher and Fasching turning pro as well in 2015 and likely start in rochester.

all 3 would have a chance to earn an NHL spot in camp.

Quote:
Deslauriers will be here in 2014-15 (waiver eligible), so assuming he shows he's an NHL player and isn't moved he'll be here in 2015-16. Grigorenko and Armia should be here if their development continues correctly. Catenacci could be here in the bottom six if he progresses a lot next year in his second AHL season.
Both Grigs and Armia should be on the big club in 15/16. I also expect Catenacci to get called up.

Deslauriers has to clear waivers starting in 14/15 so he is with Buffalo. This off season he get a 2 yr bridge contract.

Quote:
Possler should be in Rochester (hopefully in his second season in the AHL), Hurley will be in college, Bailey should be in his first season in Rochester, and Carrier should be in Rochester (he'll be old enough to play there in 2014-15, but a couple of seasons there would be best). Just posting this to show that we need to hold our horses on penciling in most of the forward prospects in the system in 2015-16. Of the crop of prospects, Larsson, Deslauriers, Grigorenko, Armia, and Catenacci are the only ones I could envision realistically cracking that lineup. Rochester should be a powerhouse, though. I'd need to get the AHL package to watch that team.
What I read elsewhere was that Possler has signed to a 2 yr extension with MODO. He likely does not come over until 16/17 season. Buffalo has his rights for 4 years.

in 15/16 Larsson would have to clear waivers.

Djp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:20 AM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
Baptiste turns pro and likely plays in Rochester w/ a potential call up

I see both Compher and Fasching turning pro as well in 2015 and likely start in rochester.

all 3 would have a chance to earn an NHL spot in camp.

Both Grigs and Armia should be on the big club in 15/16. I also expect Catenacci to get called up.

Deslauriers has to clear waivers starting in 14/15 so he is with Buffalo. This off season he get a 2 yr bridge contract.

What I read elsewhere was that Possler has signed to a 2 yr extension with MODO. He likely does not come over until 16/17 season. Buffalo has his rights for 4 years.

in 15/16 Larsson would have to clear waivers.
I'm not disagreeing that Compher and Fasching could be pros that year, but I'd be shocked if they jump straight from the college ranks to the opening day 2015-16 lineup. It would be Baptiste's first professional season and, with the way this regime has treated young players, I highly doubt he starts it in the NHL. They'll be given the chance to compete for spots, but the likelihood of them actually earning spots is extremely low. And Fasching and Baptiste won't be filling 4th line roles as 20 year olds; they'd need to win spots in the top 9.

And Larsson, Pysyk, and Ristolainen basically assuredly will be here by then. Like I said, Grigorenko and Armia should be here if everything goes according to plan. Zadorov likely will be able to make the jump from the OHL to the NHL in 2015-16 (assuming he doesn't make the team next year). Catenacci may be able to win a bottom 6 center role by then, which I'd really like to see. We basically both said the same thing in our posts. I didn't know that Possler had agreed to an extension in Europe, though.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:53 AM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike203 View Post
You're correct. I should have said this is where I envision them playing when they're ready which might only be another year, two at most.
Yeah, those guys should be at least bottom 6 NHL regulars by the time they're 22/23, assuming they continue developing at this rate. The good thing about Baptiste, Fasching, and Compher is that, even if their offensive upside doesn't translate to the next level, they should be able to contribute in bottom 6 roles. I don't expect them here until 2016-17, though.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:05 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
That is what it will take for teams to unload dead weight salaries. There will be a few teams up near the cap ceiling who still needs to sign their own players or get a big time player.

teams are not going to take on bad contracts for free.
You didn't answer the question.

When was the last time a team traded a 1st round pick to lose a contract? It's great that you think teams will be willing to do that, in a year when the cap isn't nearly the issue it was last year or in some prior years, but other than wishing, thinking and hoping, is there ANY evidence of such a deal?

Many of those teams up against the cap also have at least one buyout left too. I just don't think Buffalo should be factoring in mythical scenarios with no historical basis in their rebuild.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 09:07 AM
schickster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starat327 View Post
The problem with that is that they'll have a hard time selling anyone else left on that roster (outside of Myers) for a 2015 1st.
Stewart, Stafford and Ehrhoff

schickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Roof Daddy

As an Oil fan I will echo the value people are putting on signing character vets. That was our biggest mistake - not having enough vet presence/leadership. As for the Sabres itinerary...

Sign Callahan. I would think it will take a bit of overpay to convince him to put up with a couple years of suckage, but the long term forecast looks pretty bright for the Sabres. I'll guess the deal would need to be 7x7.

Sign some older vets to 1 year deals. Why would they sign 1 year deals on a bottom feeder? Because you are going to overpay them and give them the assurance that they get traded to a playoff bound team. Derek Morris and Michael Handsuz could be decent targets. Might take around 4.5 mil, but retaining salary at the deadline will make them a tradeable commodity, should be worth 3rd rd picks. I would add Steve Ott to the mix, but I have a feeling he'll get the long term deal he's looking for from a good team.

Look for cap casualty teams and trade some picks (late 1sts/early 2nds) for guys they can't give raises to, much like Atlanta did with Chicago after 2010 (Ladd, Byfuglien). They also did something similar this off-season obtaining Frolik (TOR got Bolland for cheap as well). A suggested target might be Berglund out of STL?

Drafting well with a little luck attached. Draft for high end as well, meaning move back up into the first round as much as possible with all those 2nds and 3rds. If the Sabres have really invested heavily in their scouting team, they'll still hit a homerun or two in rounds 4-7. I think having half a dozen high end prospects is better than a dozen good prospects, there's only so many roster spots.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 10:57 AM
ZeroPT
Jan0ary

vCash: 416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
As an Oil fan I will echo the value people are putting on signing character vets. That was our biggest mistake - not having enough vet presence/leadership. As for the Sabres itinerary...

Sign Callahan. I would think it will take a bit of overpay to convince him to put up with a couple years of suckage, but the long term forecast looks pretty bright for the Sabres. I'll guess the deal would need to be 7x7.
I don't think he'll go to UFA. I could see him re-signing in TB. Taking a small cut to play for a team that's shaping up into a contender
Quote:
Sign some older vets to 1 year deals. Why would they sign 1 year deals on a bottom feeder? Because you are going to overpay them and give them the assurance that they get traded to a playoff bound team. Derek Morris and Michael Handsuz could be decent targets. Might take around 4.5 mil, but retaining salary at the deadline will make them a tradeable commodity, should be worth 3rd rd picks. I would add Steve Ott to the mix, but I have a feeling he'll get the long term deal he's looking for from a good team.
I think this is spot on. They'll sign some hard workers and flip them at the deadline. You mention Morris and Handzus but I wonder if they could maybe pick up Legwand?

Quote:
Look for cap casualty teams and trade some picks (late 1sts/early 2nds) for guys they can't give raises to, much like Atlanta did with Chicago after 2010 (Ladd, Byfuglien). They also did something similar this off-season obtaining Frolik (TOR got Bolland for cheap as well). A suggested target might be Berglund out of STL?
This will be done after the draft next year. This year isn't the time to be going after the Berglund types. I expect Murray to sign warm bodies this offseason and next offseason to look for a couple young vets to be placeholders until the kids are fully ready for prime time NHL action.

Quote:
Drafting well with a little luck attached. Draft for high end as well, meaning move back up into the first round as much as possible with all those 2nds and 3rds. If the Sabres have really invested heavily in their scouting team, they'll still hit a homerun or two in rounds 4-7. I think having half a dozen high end prospects is better than a dozen good prospects, there's only so many roster spots.
The sabres have been great in mid-late rounds recently. Ullmark,Baptiste,Possler come to mind as guys who have far surpassed their draft value.

ZeroPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 11:30 AM
schickster

[QUOTE=Pheasant the peasant;82030717]It looks to me like the Sabres are about as close to a blank slate as it gets in todays NHL. Loads of cap space, and no immediate expectation to win now. And they look like they are at the start of a complete, top to bottom, rebuild of the roster. So, my question to you would be, what would be your game-plan if youwere in charge?

Here goes:
At the 2014 draft to Edmonton:
Myers+Ennis+Stewart for 2014 1st+ Gagner+Moroz+Chase
Draft Reinhart and Bennett. Use remaining picks for best player available.

Free Agency:
RFA
Foligno (2 yrs)
Conacher (2yrs)
Ruwhedl (2yrs)
Deslauriers (4yrs)
UFA
Moulson (4yrs)
Ott (4yrs) Captain
Orpik (1yr)
D'Agostini (1yr)
Pitkanen or Niskanen (3yrs)
Chris Butler 2yrs

2014 line combos and pairings
Moulson-Reinhart-Stafford
Hodgson-Girgensons-Conacher
Gagner-Bennett-Ott
Foligno-Mitchell-Deslauriers
Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Orpik-Ruhwedel
Pitk/Nisk-Weber
Xtras: Butler, D'Agostini, Flynn
Rochester gets an infusion of Grigerenko, McCabe, Moroz + the added depth of Porter (ufa), Ellis, Adam (ufa). Pair them with Larrson, Armia, Cantenacci, Varrone, and Risto who is still eligible for waivers. Lieuwen gets another year as starter. Zads gets another year in juniors as well as Carrier

2015 Trade Deadline
Stafford, Hodgson, Enroth/Neuvirth, and Ehrhoff should all be moved... Ist rd picks and prospects only need apply

2015 Draft
Could have up to 5 or 6 1sts in a DEEP draft.. Draft McDavid!!!!!!

2015 Free Agency
?????????????

2015 Lines and Pairings
Moulson-Reinhart-Armia
Larssons-McDavid-Girgensons
Gagner-Bennett-Grigerenko
Foligno-Ott-Deslauriers
Pitk/Nik-Pysyk
Risto-Zads
Ruhwedel-McCabe
Xtras Butler, Catenacci, Moroz

Rochester gets an infusion of big time talent. Baptiste, Carrier, Compher, Fasching, Kea, Bailey, Locke, Possler, Ullmark and whatever they draft and trade for...

2016 Trade Deadline
Gagner, Foligno, Deslauriers, Rhuwedel, Conacher could all be moved for picks or prospects..

2016 Draft
Ist, 3 2nds 2 3rds already+ whatever else they acquire..

2016 Free Agency
Fill in the holes which will be miniscual with Their Depth

2017-2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!

Old
03-22-2014, 12:21 PM
MLoza92

[QUOTE=schickster;82070037]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheasant the peasant View Post
It looks to me like the Sabres are about as close to a blank slate as it gets in todays NHL. Loads of cap space, and no immediate expectation to win now. And they look like they are at the start of a complete, top to bottom, rebuild of the roster. So, my question to you would be, what would be your game-plan if youwere in charge?

Here goes:
At the 2014 draft to Edmonton:
Myers+Ennis+Stewart for 2014 1st+ Gagner+Moroz+Chase
Draft Reinhart and Bennett. Use remaining picks for best player available.

Free Agency:
RFA
Foligno (2 yrs)
Conacher (2yrs)
Ruwhedl (2yrs)
Deslauriers (4yrs)
UFA
Moulson (4yrs)
Ott (4yrs) Captain
Orpik (1yr)
D'Agostini (1yr)
Pitkanen or Niskanen (3yrs)
Chris Butler 2yrs

2014 line combos and pairings
Moulson-Reinhart-Stafford
Hodgson-Girgensons-Conacher
Gagner-Bennett-Ott
Foligno-Mitchell-Deslauriers
Ehrhoff-Pysyk
Orpik-Ruhwedel
Pitk/Nisk-Weber
Xtras: Butler, D'Agostini, Flynn
Rochester gets an infusion of Grigerenko, McCabe, Moroz + the added depth of Porter (ufa), Ellis, Adam (ufa). Pair them with Larrson, Armia, Cantenacci, Varrone, and Risto who is still eligible for waivers. Lieuwen gets another year as starter. Zads gets another year in juniors as well as Carrier

2015 Trade Deadline
Stafford, Hodgson, Enroth/Neuvirth, and Ehrhoff should all be moved... Ist rd picks and prospects only need apply

2015 Draft
Could have up to 5 or 6 1sts in a DEEP draft.. Draft McDavid!!!!!!

2015 Free Agency
?????????????

2015 Lines and Pairings
Moulson-Reinhart-Armia
Larssons-McDavid-Girgensons
Gagner-Bennett-Grigerenko
Foligno-Ott-Deslauriers
Pitk/Nik-Pysyk
Risto-Zads
Ruhwedel-McCabe
Xtras Butler, Catenacci, Moroz

Rochester gets an infusion of big time talent. Baptiste, Carrier, Compher, Fasching, Kea, Bailey, Locke, Possler, Ullmark and whatever they draft and trade for...

2016 Trade Deadline
Gagner, Foligno, Deslauriers, Rhuwedel, Conacher could all be moved for picks or prospects..

2016 Draft
Ist, 3 2nds 2 3rds already+ whatever else they acquire..

2016 Free Agency
Fill in the holes which will be miniscual with Their Depth

2017-2018 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!!!!
Ew. I think I'm gunna be sick.

MLoza92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 12:33 PM
schickster

[QUOTE=MLoza92;82071487]
Quote:
Originally Posted by schickster View Post

Ew. I think I'm gunna be sick.
Don't be a hater

Old
03-22-2014, 12:53 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
You didn't answer the question.

When was the last time a team traded a 1st round pick to lose a contract? It's great that you think teams will be willing to do that, in a year when the cap isn't nearly the issue it was last year or in some prior years, but other than wishing, thinking and hoping, is there ANY evidence of such a deal?

Many of those teams up against the cap also have at least one buyout left too. I just don't think Buffalo should be factoring in mythical scenarios with no historical basis in their rebuild.
You don't get a 1st rounder for a cap dump. But it does hold value and could bump up a 2nd or 3rd round return into a 1st.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Jax Teller

- Move Stafford and Erhoff at the draft for the best combination of picks/prospects.
- Pick Reinhart.
- Sign Callahan long-term, 6.5 x 7 years. Aswell, as Downie and Moss to short-term deals.
- Sign Ennis and Stewart long-term at about 4 mil for 5-6 years.
- Buyout Leino.

FORWARDS
Zemgus Girgensons ($0.894m) / Cody Hodgson ($4.250m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Tyler Ennis ($4.000m) / Sam Reinhart ($1.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.500m)
Cory Conacher ($1.500m) / Mikhail Grigorenko ($0.925m) / Steve Downie ($3.500m)
Marcus Foligno ($1.500m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.900m) / David Moss ($2.000m)
Johan Larsson ($0.763m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Nikita Zadorov ($0.925m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Henrik Tallinder ($2.000m) / Rasmus Ristolainen ($0.925m)
Mike Weber ($1.667m) / Mark Pysyk ($0.870m)
Nicolas DesLauriers ($0.800m) / Jamie McBain ($1.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($2.500m)
Jhonas Enroth ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS
Ville Leino ($0.000m)
Nathan Gerbe ($0.308m)

BURIED
Patrick Kaleta ($0.325m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,352,500; BONUSES: $3,131,667
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $18,747,500

- Gun for McDavid in 2015.
- Keep Hackett, Adam, Ruhwedel, Flynn, Kaleta for depth or move them for picks.
- Move Tallinder, Mitchell and Moss next deadline for picks.

Jax Teller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 02:23 PM
ZeroPT
Jan0ary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax Teller View Post
- Move Stafford and Erhoff at the draft for the best combination of picks/prospects.
- Pick Reinhart.
- Sign Callahan long-term, 6.5 x 7 years. Aswell, as Downie and Moss to short-term deals.
- Sign Ennis and Stewart long-term at about 4 mil for 5-6 years.
- Buyout Leino.

FORWARDS
Zemgus Girgensons ($0.894m) / Cody Hodgson ($4.250m) / Chris Stewart ($4.150m)
Tyler Ennis ($4.000m) / Sam Reinhart ($1.500m) / Ryan Callahan ($6.500m)
Cory Conacher ($1.500m) / Mikhail Grigorenko ($0.925m) / Steve Downie ($3.500m)
Marcus Foligno ($1.500m) / Torrey Mitchell ($1.900m) / David Moss ($2.000m)
Johan Larsson ($0.763m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Nikita Zadorov ($0.925m) / Tyler Myers ($5.500m)
Henrik Tallinder ($2.000m) / Rasmus Ristolainen ($0.925m)
Mike Weber ($1.667m) / Mark Pysyk ($0.870m)
Nicolas DesLauriers ($0.800m) / Jamie McBain ($1.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($2.500m)
Jhonas Enroth ($1.250m)

BUYOUTS
Ville Leino ($0.000m)
Nathan Gerbe ($0.308m)

BURIED
Patrick Kaleta ($0.325m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $52,352,500; BONUSES: $3,131,667
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $18,747,500

- Gun for McDavid in 2015.
- Keep Hackett, Adam, Ruhwedel, Flynn, Kaleta for depth or move them for picks.
- Move Tallinder, Mitchell and Moss next deadline for picks.
Baring massive progression Murray will not put Pysyk,Ristolainen and Zadorov in the NHL. It's the exact opposite of what he's said he's going to do which is allow his prospects to progress in the lower leagues

Old
03-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Dunkster19

Sign Callahan
Trade either Ehrhoff to either Edmonton or Florida
- Ehrhoff plus Ennis and Armia for Floridas 2014 1st and Quinton Howden or to Edmonton for their 2014 1st and Eberle. Prefer the first one.
Draft Ekblad 1 st overall
Draft Reinhart or Bennett
If the Islanders give us their 1st this year draft Dal Colle or Ritchie
2015 end up drafting McDavid or Eichel

2015 line up
Howden...McDavid/Eichel...stafford
Dal Colle/Ritchie...grigo.... Hodgson
Girgensens...Reinhart/Bennett....Callahan
Carrier... DesLauriers....Foligno
Extra- Kaleta
Compher and Fasching as call ups from Rochester

Zadorov...Ekblad
Myers...Risto
Mccabe...Pysyk
RuH as 7th D

The possibilities are endless...

Dunkster19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 04:03 PM
ZeroPT
Jan0ary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkster19 View Post
Sign Callahan
Trade either Ehrhoff to either Edmonton or Florida
- Ehrhoff plus Ennis and Armia for Floridas 2014 1st and Quinton Howden or to Edmonton for their 2014 1st and Eberle. Prefer the first one.
Draft Ekblad 1 st overall
Draft Reinhart or Bennett
If the Islanders give us their 1st this year draft Dal Colle or Ritchie
2015 end up drafting McDavid or Eichel

2015 line up
Howden...McDavid/Eichel...stafford
Dal Colle/Ritchie...grigo.... Hodgson
Girgensens...Reinhart/Bennett....Callahan
Carrier... DesLauriers....Foligno
Extra- Kaleta
Compher and Fasching as call ups from Rochester

Zadorov...Ekblad
Myers...Risto
Mccabe...Pysyk
RuH as 7th D

The possibilities are endless...
Really far fetched with those trade offers. They're pretty bad.

all that needs to be done is
-Manipulate the roster next year similarly to this year (bringing in the likes of dags,Konpka and Conacher) for the team to be bad
-Sign 1 or 2 good but not great UFA's (Legwand comes to mind) to 1 year deals to get to the cap floor+ flip them at deadline for picks
-draft high in 2015 (McDavid/Eichel/Barzal/Konecny)
-Fill out the roster with placeholders via UFA/Trade
-wait
-prospects will develop and eventually take over the placeholders and voila your contending team will start to create itself.

Old
03-22-2014, 05:05 PM
RC51

start with the understanding that a great goalie prospect in needed. it takes them 3-4 years after the draft to get to the NHL. Next understand the d-men also take 3-4 year to develop before they get to the NHL, then next comes the forwards, starting with big centers and so on. then look to the future and understand that you want all you best prospects getting to the BIG team about the same time so you don't have a cap problem. All this should get you a good team with a 3-5 year window to go for that CUP. If you play you cards right you should have a very good core and then with any money left over go for UFA you NEED.
Passing up on a good forward in order to get a goalie and then d-men is something your just going to have to live with.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:51 PM
Mike203

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
start with the understanding that a great goalie prospect in needed. it takes them 3-4 years after the draft to get to the NHL. Next understand the d-men also take 3-4 year to develop before they get to the NHL, then next comes the forwards, starting with big centers and so on. then look to the future and understand that you want all you best prospects getting to the BIG team about the same time so you don't have a cap problem. All this should get you a good team with a 3-5 year window to go for that CUP. If you play you cards right you should have a very good core and then with any money left over go for UFA you NEED.
Passing up on a good forward in order to get a goalie and then d-men is something your just going to have to live with.
We already have the d-men...
Myers
Ehrhoff
Ristolainen
Zadorov
Pysyk
McCabe

We have goalie prospects
Ullmark
Lieuwen
Neuvirth

We need top end forwards. All of our 1st and 2nd round draft picks the next 2 years should be on forwards. All 32,000 of them!

Mike203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:57 PM
ZeroPT
Jan0ary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
Goaltending most certainly is not the most important part of building a team. It's the last piece you try to fill out. Look for an identity, draft players that fit that identity, wait and see for goaltending because it's such a crap shoot, in the sabres situation..

1.Identify how you want to build your team:
Size,Speed,skill,Hockey sense,Depth up front/ Size,physicality,Hockey sense on the back end.

2.Draft/acquire players that fit that mold:
F:Compher,Fasching,Deslauriers,Foligno,Larsson,Gir gensons,Grigorenko,Carrier and Armia
D:Zadorov,Ristolainen,Myers,McCabe,Ruhwedel and Pysyk.

they'll add a couple top end guys through the next two drafts up front.
and then they'll wait for the goalies. I think they have 3 goalies with legit NHL potential and they are Makarov,Ullmark and Lieuwen.

Old
03-22-2014, 06:00 PM
Watch for the Yeti

Building through the draft is overrated, ask the Islanders and Oilers.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 06:01 PM
ZeroPT
Jan0ary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watch for the Yeti View Post
Building through the draft is overrated, ask the Islanders and Oilers.
Yeah I mean it's not like the Penguins and Blackhawks are Stanley cup winning teams that are built through the draft

You bring up the Oilers and Islanders but you don't even take into consideration what they've done past their drafting, both teams have incompetent management and one of them has a stingy as hell owner. Also, the Isles and Oilers draft record isn't too impressive (more so the Oilers)

Old
03-22-2014, 06:09 PM
Watch for the Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroPT View Post
Yeah I mean it's not like the Penguins and Blackhawks are Stanley cup winning teams that are built through the draft

You bring up the Oilers and Islanders but you don't even take into consideration what they've done past their drafting, both teams have incompetent management and one of them has a stingy as hell owner. Also, the Isles and Oilers draft record isn't too impressive (more so the Oilers)
We'll see how it plays out.

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:14 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Man Buffalo is has really become your stereotypical HF'ers wet dream: traded all their vets and have a team full of picks and prospects.

I actually thought they'd need to spend this summer to reach the cap floor, but they actually have enough money players signed with Leino, Hodgson, Stewart, Stafford, Myers, Ehrhoff, and Neuvirth. Right now their incomplete team is at 39.27 million for next season, throw in resigned RFA's and a UFA or two to fill out the roster and they should get there.

Considering how they've played it so far and with McDavid up for grabs next year I can't see them doing anything different next season. Maybe they'll go for a big UFA, but who's going to want to play there right now? Unless they offer a major overpayment. Seriously though once the McDavid draft is over they better making an effort to acquire and trade established players rather than just shipping them out.

RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:22 PM
ZeroPT
Jan0ary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Man Buffalo is has really become your stereotypical HF'ers wet dream: traded all their vets and have a team full of picks and prospects.

I actually thought they'd need to spend this summer to reach the cap floor, but they actually have enough money players signed with Leino, Hodgson, Stewart, Stafford, Myers, Ehrhoff, and Neuvirth. Right now their incomplete team is at 39.27 million for next season, throw in resigned RFA's and a UFA or two to fill out the roster and they should get there.

Considering how they've played it so far and with McDavid up for grabs next year I can't see them doing anything different next season. Maybe they'll go for a big UFA, but who's going to want to play there right now? Unless they offer a major overpayment. Seriously though once the McDavid draft is over they better making an effort to acquire and trade established players rather than just shipping them out.
Leino will likely be bought out. and also, the sabres still have quite a few veteran players on the team and more importantly AREN'T RUSHING PROSPECTS. Apart from Ristolainen (who's only up because of the injury to Myers) and Girgenons (curreently injured) every single one of Buffalo's top 20 prospects are all playing in developmental leagues.

Old
03-22-2014, 08:23 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post

That's the plan. They've stated this year and 2015 Drafts will be key and the "build will start after the 2015 draft.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 08:24 PM
Sleepy

do what they're doing, but get a solid GM. No rebuild is ever successful without a good GM. I have no idea if Murray is good or not, but there are many good rebuild GM's out there that aren't necessarily high priced GM's. Lombardi was one of those guys before the cup. Tallon is another in Florida. Hopefully, Murray's your guy.

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote