HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 3)

Old
04-29-2014, 09:58 PM
4th Line Plug

vCash: 500
Bought a 20K stick. Big deal for me since I've been an Easton man for 7 or 8 years. Excited to see if I can feel a difference in stick handling/snap shot.

4th Line Plug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 01:00 AM
El Nino 22

Played my first adult tournament game of the four this weekend(I'm 16). My team lost 4-7, we lacked speed and the other team was flying but I scored half our goals. One on a sweet one-timer and the other was a shot I tipped from the point. Had a blast, although it got really chippy, funny how when you add refs and a score board people act like its game 7 of the SCF. One clown on the other team even tried to fight the ref (who was hosting the tourney). Hopefully tomorrows games go better.

El Nino 22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 05:23 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
I went to Pro Hockey Life for the first time yesterday (I now love that place ) and tried out the Bauer Vapor APX2 stick which I loved as well. I bought a Reebok 10K stick with an ABS blade in a Datsyuk curve. I also bought my first ever two piece stick. I couldn't spend too much so for that I went with a Bauer Vapor X80 shaft with a Reebok 10K ABS blade with a Datsyuk curve again. I figure I'll use those to really work on my shooting fundamentals on concrete as well as continuing to use my Rebook 14K and 16K sticks on my shooting pad.

I also grabbed a 10 ounce weighted puck and a 6 ounce puck which is all white.

Anyone know if those 10 ounce weighted pucks are just for stickhandling and passing??? Or can you use them to develop your wrist shot power too???

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 09:40 AM
JZCislesHockey

(Well, yesterday)

I tried out for my high school JV team, and although there are a few more weeks of tryouts, I made it!

Last edited by JZCislesHockey: 05-04-2014 at 02:59 PM.
JZCislesHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2014, 10:09 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

I practiced stickhandling with my 10 ounce weighted puck for 1.5 hours this morning.

Old
05-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Greasy Sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
I went to Pro Hockey Life for the first time yesterday (I now love that place ) and tried out the Bauer Vapor APX2 stick which I loved as well. I bought a Reebok 10K stick with an ABS blade in a Datsyuk curve. I also bought my first ever two piece stick. I couldn't spend too much so for that I went with a Bauer Vapor X80 shaft with a Reebok 10K ABS blade with a Datsyuk curve again. I figure I'll use those to really work on my shooting fundamentals on concrete as well as continuing to use my Rebook 14K and 16K sticks on my shooting pad.

I also grabbed a 10 ounce weighted puck and a 6 ounce puck which is all white.

Anyone know if those 10 ounce weighted pucks are just for stickhandling and passing??? Or can you use them to develop your wrist shot power too???
I've always thought the pucks were designed to strengthen shooting

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 02:48 AM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Went out of the playoffs today to the team who eventually ended up winning the whole thing. Not really unexpected for us.

Going to take a season out and sign up for some hockey skating classes on ice as playing inline in this heat right now is a killer.

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Pacifist Goon

Played twice. Pick up in the morning and game proper tonight. Pretty happy, two of my better outings to date and confidence returning. Skating and stick handling are starting to come together and finding both more time on the puck and more time to make the play. Getting noticed and paid a little more attention by both the opposition and my own team too.

Off ice stick handling starting to pay dividends and executing my signature move without losing the puck. Felt damned good afterwards. Conditioning up there now too.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 08:33 AM
aguynamedjoe

Got my *ss out of bed to go to a stick and puck at 6AM, only to find out that it was cancelled due to some figure skating b******t at the rink this week. This makes each of the 4 times in the past 2 weeks I've tried to get on the ice end up as times I've been turned away. Getting pretty discouraged.

aguynamedjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguynamedjoe View Post
Got my *ss out of bed to go to a stick and puck at 6AM, only to find out that it was cancelled due to some figure skating b******t at the rink this week. This makes each of the 4 times in the past 2 weeks I've tried to get on the ice end up as times I've been turned away. Getting pretty discouraged.
I've got the same bad luck lately! Last time, my friend said it was scheduled and so we went to find that the schedule had changed. Spent an hour after arriving looking up and checking with other rinks before finally giving up.

Yesterday, we made a half hour trip to the only place around that currently runs an S&P session, and we must have been no more than 5 minutes late from them filling up the open spots. As we walked in, they were writing the sign to put on the door that said they were full.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 02:35 PM
4th Line Plug

Played drop in shinny last night. There was a guy from the O, 2 from the ECHL and 3 guys from the McMaster team. Fun to watch.....play....not so much. Didn't really tone it down so it sucked the fun out of it for everyone else. Then it got physical which was fun.

Old
05-04-2014, 09:53 PM
Ozz

...had 5 assists in a 10-3 beatdown.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-04-2014, 10:37 PM
McMaster27

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4th Line Plug View Post
Played drop in shinny last night. There was a guy from the O, 2 from the ECHL and 3 guys from the McMaster team. Fun to watch.....play....not so much. Didn't really tone it down so it sucked the fun out of it for everyone else. Then it got physical which was fun.
McMaster team eh... Do you mean the University? Where about do you play I'm just curious? Hamilton or Burlington?

McMaster27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:16 AM
fish7

vCash: 1776
i wanted to post this yesterday but i could not get into the site

we only had 1 sub for our game we lost a close one 6-5 because our goalie stood on his head while most of us huffed and puffed. Also our token young guy was all over the place he scored 2 of our goals and set up two others. I was the lucky recipient of 2 great set ups from him

i am still extremely sore this morning I guess i will show my students a movie

fish7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Nibbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZCislesHockey View Post
(Well, yesterday)

I tried out for my high school JV team, and although there are a few more weeks of tryouts, I made it!
Congrats!

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 03:53 PM
polysaturate

Had a Beer League Gordie Howe Hat Trick

Goal, Assist and a Roughing penalty(can't fight in our league without a 1+ suspension)

polysaturate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 04:36 PM
JZCislesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
Congrats!
Thanks!

JZCislesHockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 08:53 PM
4th Line Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMaster27 View Post
McMaster team eh... Do you mean the University? Where about do you play I'm just curious? Hamilton or Burlington?
Yea.
This was in Brampton.

Old
05-05-2014, 09:43 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

I bought a new and much larger shooting pad as well as the clamp-on version of the Extreme Passer from Hockeyshot.ca which is one of these...

http://www.hockeyshot.ca/HockeyShot_...ng-aid-012.htm

Also bought the Smarthockey MAXX Ball which is a normal Smart Hockey Ball but what sets it apart from the original is that it weighs 10 ounces.

Old
05-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Today I signed up to play in my buddy's summer league. It's mainly AAA and AA players, so I'm likely to get wrecked, but it's gonna be a lot of fun and a good learning experience.

EDIT: Almost forgot, it's also my first time playing contact hockey in four years. If anybody has any tips for me on transitioning from no contact to full-contact they would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Mikey 48: 05-05-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Mikey 48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-05-2014, 10:57 PM
4th Line Plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post
Today I signed up to play in my buddy's summer league. It's mainly AAA and AA players, so I'm likely to get wrecked, but it's gonna be a lot of fun and a good learning experience.

EDIT: Almost forgot, it's also my first time playing contact hockey in four years. If anybody has any tips for me on transitioning from no contact to full-contact they would be greatly appreciated!

Sounds simple but keep your head up.
Don't try any hot dog toe drags etc the first few games.

Old
05-06-2014, 03:27 AM
theMajor

finally got my first goal of the season out of the way 1/3 in, it was gross but ill take it

edit: 666th post \m/

theMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 11:34 AM
haveandare

Played my first game in a long time. Didn't score, but I made some clean zone entries as well as a few nice setups. Had one beautiful saucer pass over a defenders stick. Broke up a few passes going the other way as well.

I was worried that my speed would be an issue since I have older/crappier skates, and I just felt like I got my stride down, but I was able to keep up very well.

Im still not comfortable enough playing the puck while at max speed. Gotta work on that. I assume its one of those practice until it feels right kind of hockey skills.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Quote:
Seems easy enough. Keep things simple while I'm adjusting, and head on a swivel. Thanks for the advice!

Mikey 48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 02:50 AM
raptor5191
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 48 View Post

Quote:
And...

1. Bend your legs. And then keep your legs bent. That is a great way to absorb hits and avoid getting destroyed.

2. If you are going to get hit, do not pull off the hit. "Hit back" or lean into the hit. If you try to pull away from it or lean away you are asking to get obliterated.

3. If you are getting hit along the boards, try to get flat against them. Good chance the guy will bounce off you and will help keep your feet under you as much as possible.

4. Since you are just jumping into checking hockey, do not go LOOK for hits. Spend most of your time being ready to have guys play the body on you so they do not see you are an easy mark. As soon as guys see you are susceptible to getting bounced off the puck, everyone will do it. So, watch for it till you get the rhythm brother.

5. Speed beats contact once you understand when they are going to try to hit you. Takes a bit of experience though.

6. Remember the "one, two..take a look" rule. Never look down for more than a couple of ticks.

7. Try to get lower than the guy hitting you. The lower your center of gravity, the better off you are. If you can go shoulder to bicep or thorax instead of shoulder to shoulder you are going to be better off.

raptor5191 is offline   Reply With Quote