HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 3)

Old
05-08-2014, 06:54 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

vCash: 50
Tried out my new shooting pad and I worked out for 40 minutes stickhandling with my 10 ounce SmartHockey MAXX ball and a stick weight.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 08:46 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor5191 View Post
And...

1. Bend your legs. And then keep your legs bent. That is a great way to absorb hits and avoid getting destroyed.

2. If you are going to get hit, do not pull off the hit. "Hit back" or lean into the hit. If you try to pull away from it or lean away you are asking to get obliterated.

3. If you are getting hit along the boards, try to get flat against them. Good chance the guy will bounce off you and will help keep your feet under you as much as possible.

4. Since you are just jumping into checking hockey, do not go LOOK for hits. Spend most of your time being ready to have guys play the body on you so they do not see you are an easy mark. As soon as guys see you are susceptible to getting bounced off the puck, everyone will do it. So, watch for it till you get the rhythm brother.

5. Speed beats contact once you understand when they are going to try to hit you. Takes a bit of experience though.

6. Remember the "one, two..take a look" rule. Never look down for more than a couple of ticks.

7. Try to get lower than the guy hitting you. The lower your center of gravity, the better off you are. If you can go shoulder to bicep or thorax instead of shoulder to shoulder you are going to be better off.
Amazing, I'll try and incorporate this into my play. Thanks a lot!

Mikey 48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 10:46 PM
raptor5191

No problem man! Have fun!

raptor5191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-08-2014, 11:44 PM
Ozz

Got part of my front tooth chipped off from a high stick, and of course there was no call. Team played like total **** too, so that was just the icing on the cake for me. We were down by 5 but had a good comeback and only lost by 1. Still, if our D was even remotely decent tonight, 4 of their goals wouldn't have even happened.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-09-2014, 12:25 AM
Boulder Avalanche
Pull the Goalie

Finshed up researching equipment and finding it on sale. All that I need to do is to add money to my account and then my hockey comeback will begin. Played a ton of roller and bit of ice in my younger years as a goalie but being a skater will competently different.

Boulder Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 06:59 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Shot a good 50 pucks and am trying to learn how to slapshot the right way.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2014, 08:08 PM
Ozz

3 assists in a 7-4 win against a tough team. I think with that win, we replaced them as the 2nd place team with 2 games remaining.

Old
05-11-2014, 08:56 PM
TherapyforGlencross
I'm the Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Tried out my new shooting pad and I worked out for 40 minutes stickhandling with my 10 ounce SmartHockey MAXX ball and a stick weight.
Is yours an actual shooting pad or one of those HD panels from Home Depot?

TherapyforGlencross is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-12-2014, 10:22 PM
Mikey 48
#NYRTank2015

I missed this weekend's game because my alarm didn't go off, and the next one isn't until the 31st. I wasn't too happy, lol. Gives me time to work on shooting, I guess.

Mikey 48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 08:25 AM
wils5150

Tonight I will play my first game in 20 years. At the age of 48 I said what the heck I am going for it. i have been hitting public skate trying to get my legs back. We had a draft scrimmage and I learned my mind knows what to do but my body is 1 step behind lol. No turning back now! I met a member on here matt gti who convinced me to go for it. so i guess the HF community has gotten another old dude back on the ice.

wils5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 08:38 AM
AntsSheffield

I got an hour at public skate with no one else on the ice so I took my stick on

. . . and spent nearly all that time working on outside edges.

I think I thought til now that better outside edges would 'just come' by skating more. Now I know you have to consciously work on em

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Ozz

Moved from D to F on one of my teams because our offense has been horrible. Put in a hatty and we won handily.

Old
05-14-2014, 12:11 PM
fryer98

Quote:
Originally Posted by wils5150 View Post
Tonight I will play my first game in 20 years. At the age of 48 I said what the heck I am going for it. i have been hitting public skate trying to get my legs back. We had a draft scrimmage and I learned my mind knows what to do but my body is 1 step behind lol. No turning back now! I met a member on here matt gti who convinced me to go for it. so i guess the HF community has gotten another old dude back on the ice.
Just 1 step behind? I'm mid-30s and miss a few weeks and feel 1 step behind!

Good for you!

fryer98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2014, 12:18 PM
wils5150

lol ok maybe 3 or 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryer98 View Post
Just 1 step behind? I'm mid-30s and miss a few weeks and feel 1 step behind!

Good for you!

wils5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Been having a good spring season. Funny thing is it's "beginner to intermediate" but it's definitely the fastest level I've played. Still, beer league so it's not super competitive.

League doesn't keep stats, but I do, and I've got 8g+2a in 7 games now. I'm usually a ~0.5 goal per game player but running just two lines most nights I get more ice and I'm getting some good looks against, frankly, meh goalies.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Pacifist Goon

Today I get to play hockey. Game proper. The standard isn't as quite as high as the pick up skills wise but the intensity's higher and there's a little more rough and tumble. First game in the new skates and looking to go up a level. No more sore feet.

..and hopefully no babies tonight whining that they got bumped into.

..and the wife organised dinner out with friends. Sorry but I'm gonna be a little late to that one.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 12:50 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

After a long layoff from adult league and a team split due to geography, the team finally gets to play again tomorrow. We lost our original goalie (best goalie in the league) and 4 skaters. I am the only holdover from the previous management group. New guys stepped up and helped get everything organized and transferred over (sponsor communication, team account, etc.), second best goalie was a new found free agent (from rival team) and a new era begins.

Bittersweet but exciting. Chance to change some things and get back in the lockerroom with everyone.

On the plus side, most of us including the new goalie skate in a weekly pickup game together so chemistry should still be there.

Feels good.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Ozz

Games at 6 and 8:30 tonight. Woohoo!

Old
05-19-2014, 12:55 PM
AntsSheffield

. . . got down as low as I really should and checked my reflection in the plexi. Got a fix on where I should be in relation to the screws up the stanchions so I can measure my knee bend easily in future.

. . . and it felt so much easier round bends on my outsides edge when I had proper knee bend.

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Voltana

Went to Jason Strudwicks D Camp the last few days. Twice he got dangled while showing a drill...

Voltana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 06:29 AM
terranraida

Today I played a game of pick up hockey with one goalie. that wasn't very fun, but I used it to get better on the ice, and everyone was really nice about helping me get better, including this one guy letting me use his right handed stick to help, and it made me feel like less of a loser. It was essentially an entire team using the pick up as practice, and they were all really helpful.

terranraida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2014, 08:10 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Games at 6 and 8:30 tonight. Woohoo!
First game: played D on a weak team; good for a couple assists. The other team had 2 top-division players on hand to try to walk us, but me and the other good guy on our team were too good for that. They were pretty upset

Second game 1.5 hours later: 3-2 shootout loss. I had 2 of our goals, including the opener from a breakaway 45 seconds in. Unfortunately I also whiffed majorly on the GWG in the final minute from a one-timer snap. The pass was pretty rough but it was a tough one to make from the corner. I barely got toe on it but I *** cranked it so hard it bounced off the boards a couple inches wide of the post and flew right past me again past the circles

I also hate that I missed in the shootout. Put me on a breakaway and I'm almost never going to miss; put me in a shootout on this lowly team and I'm probably at under 50%. The weird thing is, in the higher divisions, I almost never miss in the shootout. I should ask if I can have an opposing player chase me so I feel more natural

Old
05-24-2014, 05:44 AM
Pacifist Goon

Bagged a goal in a 6-2 loss. Ordinarily not something to celebrate, but brought my mini slump to an end. Took a turnover down the left boards, had some speed on and caught the d-man napping, around him and cut to the crease, put it five hole, unassisted. Nearly had a double but snapped a loose puck at the top left corner, clipped the goalies shoulder with it and it went just wide and high.

Been a little frustrating of late. Change of sticks and change of touch. Got some mojo back.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 04:19 PM
flyers10

First game back after 5 weeks due to groin pull.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Onetimersniper28

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
First game back after 5 weeks due to groin pull.
Ouch. All I can say to this is "ouch".

Onetimersniper28 is online now   Reply With Quote