HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 3)

Old
05-24-2014, 06:46 PM
Pacifist Goon

vCash: 500
Injuries suck, especially stuff like groins or backs which you can't just grin and bear.

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 06:59 PM
MattGTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by wils5150 View Post
Tonight I will play my first game in 20 years. At the age of 48 I said what the heck I am going for it. i have been hitting public skate trying to get my legs back. We had a draft scrimmage and I learned my mind knows what to do but my body is 1 step behind lol. No turning back now! I met a member on here matt gti who convinced me to go for it. so i guess the HF community has gotten another old dude back on the ice.
I knew we shouldn't have given you guys our goalie from my other team!
Seriously though, good job out there. Looks like you didn't miss a beat over the last two decades!
We got you guys next time we meet up though.

MattGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2014, 09:12 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
went to a store to buy a new stick. Found out the test shooting cage they have is pretty good. Need to do accuracy more. And also, hitting the glass(Shots go wide because my accuracy is WOAT) scared the dickens out of the other shoppers...

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 03:51 PM
BrummieRed

Didn't score and my rec/scrim team got thrashed, but had a really good game. Felt like my skate training was paying off - I was moving faster, getting to the other team on the forecheck and back in our zone (I play LW) and making a nuisance of myself stick-lifting/winning the puck. And would have buried a couple o goals if the other forwards weren't worse than me

BrummieRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2014, 07:56 PM
flyers10

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
First game back after 5 weeks due to groin pull.
And re-tweaked it. Argh!

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 08:41 AM
wils5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattGTI View Post
I knew we shouldn't have given you guys our goalie from my other team!
Seriously though, good job out there. Looks like you didn't miss a beat over the last two decades!
We got you guys next time we meet up though.
I felt like a bucket of rust lol I did get a assist so I won't be held pointless lol.

wils5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Ozz

3g1a in a 7-4 win. Scoring didn't open up until the final 5 seconds of the 1st, I set up my streaking winger on a long pass to break out of our zone and he ran through the last defender back to beat the buzzer.

In the 2nd we ran roughshod on them; a guy on the other F shift scored 2 back to back in the same spot, so I went out on my shift and scored one in the same spot I tried to do it on my 2nd one but he got me good, though I was able to put in the rebound as the D was slow to get on me. Then I finished off the hatty with a nice backhand top-shelfer while a defenseman hung off my wrist. I was actually surprised I was able to get it up w/that hook, let alone get it how I wanted it.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 01:26 PM
Nibbler

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
And re-tweaked it. Argh!
Groin pulls are awful. You think it's fine until you get out there, and 1 little wrong move sets you back weeks.

Nibbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 11:51 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last night I subbed on defense. Not a bad idea, even though I'm not the prototypical defenseman (short and stocky and offensive minded). At this level though, I'm above average backwards skater and can move the puck decently, plus have a good shot.

Attempted about 15 shots, got about 8 through, and then hit three posts, including two on breakaways. Nothing going. One shot did create a rebound for an assist though.

Right after the game, the ref came up and said I should think about moving to defense full time. He thought I had more chances and space to shoot, and I was keeping the puck in the zone well. Never had a ref say stuff like that in all my years of playing.

He also must not have noticed that I was on the ice for four goals against in a 5-4 loss. I was only responsible for one of those, but it still stings.

Ended up a -2 even though we were clearly in control most of the game.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
Ozz

2g1a, 7-4 win for my horrible team. Our 7th goal was scored by our low-talent female, off a one-timer from atop the circles. How that found the net we'll never know, but we were glad to finally see her end the season with one!

Old
06-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Okay, so I finally got to play a game in the league filled with AA/AAA guys. The pace is a lot faster than what i'm used to, so I was almost dead about halfway into the first, but I kept up well when I wasn't completely out of gas. Now I know I'll have to work hard on endurance and conditioning this summer if I want to regularly play with these higher-level guys. Also, I only got decked twice, so that was okay.

As for how I did, I was pretty bad due to the aforementioned lack of endurance. I somehow managed to pot one in off a rebound, I just threw it on net and it went in. You know what they say about pucks on net. I also had a few scoring chances in front that I just couldn't get past their goalie, and I also blew a breakaway. I had their goalie beat with a forehand-backhand move, but then I sent the puck right over the net.

Anyways, I had a lot of fun, and this gave me a great idea on what I need to improve to play at the next level.

Mikey 48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2014, 10:02 AM
Pete Mitchell
"Watch the canopy!!"

Got punched in the chops by a former Colorado Eagles CHL player on Saturday in a charity tournament for holding his stick while battling along the boards. I told him that was a bit excessive to which he replied that he hit me in the chest (even though my lip was bleeding) and that I'd be "out cold" if he hit me in the jaw.

Pete Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 08:31 AM
Ozz

Got robbed a bunch last night, goalie was on his game for sure. I did get an assist, and final revenge by scoring the game winner in the shootout.

Old
06-04-2014, 11:09 AM
wingnutks

Played in a pick up game with a kid that is projected to go in the first round of this years draft.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 11:16 AM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

Had my first shootout the other day. Hit the post, bounced off the goaltender, and hit the other post.

Could have won the game against the best beer league team in our division, too.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 03:55 PM
stocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
Played in a pick up game with a kid that is projected to go in the first round of this years draft.
Who?

stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 09:09 PM
nexusrage21

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocky View Post
Who?
I'm guessing it was Sonny Milano saturday night.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Mikey 48
Still D.R.E.J.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusrage21 View Post
Confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutks View Post
I played with this kid yesterday. Great skill, silly good back hand, cocky. His play and personality reminded me of Patrick Kane.

Mikey 48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2014, 09:56 PM
nexusrage21

I wasn't a fan of the way he was playing. Ruined the game for a lot of people. I know a bunch of guys that were playing on his side left early because of it.

Crazy good though.

nexusrage21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 08:50 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusrage21 View Post
Sonny Milano Monday afternoon lol

Old
06-05-2014, 09:36 AM
Brunomics

where were you guys skating? Rinx?

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2014, 10:54 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunomics View Post
where were you guys skating? Rinx?
Yea, the 1145am-145pm slot

Old
06-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Won our "playoff" game last night 5-4. Ref called a penalty on us with 2 minutes left to make it interesting. One more week of free hockey! Also scored again last night so I officially have at least one goal per game for the season, which is neat.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Pacifist Goon

Today I was just absolutely ******* terrible on my skates like I couldn't believe. Touch of cold or flu of late and just had no gas in the tank after a few minutes, felt like I'd done a leg workout prior and had jelly legs. I felt and must have looked hopeless, like I'd regressed months. Embarrassing.

Should have just pulled the pin

Pacifist Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2014, 03:25 PM
BrummieRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacifist Goon View Post
Today I was just absolutely ******* terrible on my skates like I couldn't believe. Touch of cold or flu of late and just had no gas in the tank after a few minutes, felt like I'd done a leg workout prior and had jelly legs. I felt and must have looked hopeless, like I'd regressed months. Embarrassing.

Should have just pulled the pin
Well that sucks, but glad to hear it happens to other people.

I had an alright night tonight at LTP. Felt lacking in balance/energy early on but got some steam up by the time we went to full ice.

Still, my skating skills are so much reduced in a game situation. But then I've been skating less than 2 yrs and I'm gonna keep banging away at those skating fundamentals.

BrummieRed is offline   Reply With Quote