HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

LeClair signs with Pens

Closed Thread

Old
08-15-2005, 01:18 PM
Shadowtron

vCash: 500
LeClair signs with Pens

Money continues to fall out of the sky for the Pens is seems (www.sportsnet.ca). I posted this because I don't know about you guys but this is definitely a relief. I've been fretting for a while of the possibility of Sather signing Leclair. At his age, and with his health always being an issue, it just wasn't the type of player the Rangers needed. Doesn't leave much left for us, so this is definitely a good thing.

Opinions?

Old
08-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron
Money continues to fall out of the sky for the Pens is seems (www.sportsnet.ca). I posted this because I don't know about you guys but this is definitely a relief. I've been fretting for a while of the possibility of Sather signing Leclair. At his age, and with his health always being an issue, it just wasn't the type of player the Rangers needed. Doesn't leave much left for us, so this is definitely a good thing.

Opinions?
Pens have a 15M payroll without LeClair right now.
So I'm not sure I understand your statement about money falling from the sky...

Old
08-15-2005, 01:21 PM
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey

It is a good thing, but I think everyone's getting screwed. Were the Pens really that desperate and in poor shape before? Seems to me Mario and Pitt's working the NHL/fans over.

Old
08-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
Pens have a 15M payroll without LeClair right now.
So I'm not sure I understand your statement about money falling from the sky...
For a team that was on the verge of bankruptcy, it's funny how Palffy, GOnchar, LeClair, etc. is no big deal for them.

Old
08-15-2005, 01:36 PM
True Blue

Quote:
For a team that was on the verge of bankruptcy, it's funny how Palffy, GOnchar, LeClair, etc. is no big deal for them.
I said it before. It is rather amazing that, after a year where they took in no revenue whatsoever and considering that they were one of the louder cries of poverty, where they get the money to sign Gonchar to a $5m deal. I could care less how many tickets they sold, the fact that their payroll is going to increase about $10m from last year is rather amazing.

Old
08-15-2005, 01:41 PM
MagnusJondus
Faneca meets Stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I could care less how many tickets they sold...
Last time I checked there is a corrolation between making money and spending money in the business world.

Old
08-15-2005, 01:55 PM
Entrancemperium

Quote:
Yeah 'cause the Rangers are paying their bills this season

Old
08-15-2005, 01:59 PM
Fletch

I don't think there was a lot...

of smoke and mirrors in regards to PITT's money situation. The arena was exactly packed the last few seasons, which obviously affects revenues. I believe it's already been posted somewhere on this board and the spending is a result of a new owner, and pending new arena. Makes perfect sense to me. What doesn't make sense is how the Pens get to a $15 million payroll without Leclair. I thought their payroll was a bit higher, and their target's around $30 million.

Old
08-15-2005, 02:11 PM
dedalus

Quote:
Yes because Palffy, Gonchar, LeClair, etc. would never in the past have worked for the money they now earn.

Old
08-15-2005, 02:13 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus
Yes because Palffy, Gonchar, LeClair, etc. would never in the past have worked for the money they now earn.

True. I stand corrected. It's just sour grapes on my part, I guess. I'll admit it. Seeing another "home-run" prospect again fall in their laps is frustrating.

Old
08-15-2005, 02:30 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
of smoke and mirrors in regards to PITT's money situation. The arena was exactly packed the last few seasons, which obviously affects revenues. I believe it's already been posted somewhere on this board and the spending is a result of a new owner, and pending new arena. Makes perfect sense to me. What doesn't make sense is how the Pens get to a $15 million payroll without Leclair. I thought their payroll was a bit higher, and their target's around $30 million.
Morozov, Tarnstrom, Malkin, Orpik, Kraft, Malone and Mario haven't signed yet. With these, you can pretty much add 12M at least.
With the defenseman they'll sign or trade for, you can expect a 30-32M payroll.
People seem to forget CP made Gonchar and Pallfy sign for 3.5M in the first year so that he sees what the revenues are this year.

Old
08-15-2005, 02:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Just be thankful we didn't sign this guy

Old
08-15-2005, 02:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

LeClair can keep Mario company in the pressbox when both of their backs go out

But Mario will make sure to play in the Olympics

Old
08-15-2005, 02:40 PM
Evilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
LeClair can keep Mario company in the pressbox when both of their backs go out

But Mario will make sure to play in the Olympics
He's just skipped camp to be on the UFA front.

Old
08-15-2005, 02:42 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilo
He's just skipped camp to be on the UFA front.
Camp?

Old
08-15-2005, 02:43 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
LeClair signed a two-year deal
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05227/554369.stm

Old
08-15-2005, 02:48 PM
Fletch

For cap purposes...

Palffy and Gonchar are signed for $9.5 million a year combined, no matter how it's structured (even if he's only paying $7 million this season for the pair).

Old
08-15-2005, 03:12 PM
shoothepuck

Just glad the Ranger's didn't sign him.

Old
08-15-2005, 03:14 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
Palffy and Gonchar are signed for $9.5 million a year combined, no matter how it's structured (even if he's only paying $7 million this season for the pair).
I was just going to comment on this as well, Fletch. It makes no difference what Patrick signed these guys for. Gonchar signed for something like 5 years/$24m, right? Then for the next 5 years, he counts as $5m against the cap.

Old
08-15-2005, 03:35 PM
eco's bones

We've been down the road before of taking on other peoples problems. If Pittsburgh wants Leclair and his back, the Kings want Roenick and his concussions, and the Leafs want both Lindros and Allison--good for them. As far as I'm concerned they are all one big injury away from being done. Giving a player such as this more than a year is really throwing the dice. As far as what the Penguins or even what the Rangers have spent some salaries in both camps have yet to be disclosed.
They might be higher than some assume. On Jagr both NHLPA and TSN have him listed for the full $8 mill to us.

Old
08-15-2005, 04:41 PM
natureboy*

Quote:
It is amazing. Especially considering the team was bankrupt and in danger of moving.

Old
08-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Fletch

It isn't that amazing...

while many companies fail, many also come out of bankruptcy. Things have started to turn around for PITT and in Pittsburgh. Seems as though they'll get a new arena, which helps, and have a new investor. Put that together and you have a turnaround. Wasn't Ottawa near the brink and Buffalo in the drink?`

Old
08-15-2005, 05:08 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Dont forget Recchi, T-Bo and Lemieux but i think he dont count and isnt his contarct like 1 mill per year.

Ptts did what Washington did, or is doing now and they bombed seasons to get #1 picks then sign all the vets to fill roles.

Yes indeed they lied to fans stating they were so broke, though there team salary is not even 25 Mill its still the point of the way they went with doing things, stating your broke and going with a team full of kids then grabbing three picks two being #1's and one pick being a # 2, plus some solid young d-kids they have drafted, pretty shady if you ask me.

Old
08-15-2005, 05:17 PM
nrf83

I'm sure there is a valid reason why LeClair signing w/Pens is posted on NYR board, but for the life of me I cannot fathom it.

Old
08-15-2005, 05:22 PM
NYC Aim 4588

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrf83
I'm sure there is a valid reason why LeClair signing w/Pens is posted on NYR board, but for the life of me I cannot fathom it.
I dont get what you cant "FATHOM". Basically it was word NYR was looking to sign him so , the reason for posting info on LeClair is so basically NYR fans dont have to think about J.L coming here.

Closed Thread