HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier (June 25 update: cyst removed from his left foot; using crutches)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-26-2014, 06:13 PM
  #276
LegionOfDoom91
Registered User
 
LegionOfDoom91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,398
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I don't think you understand exactly what I meant, I probably could have phrased it better.

Those were two different thoughts, not really linked together.

1- I'm saying that I think his floor is probably still as an NHL player because he's a smart player, mean, huge, a very good skater, and his offensive skills are improving when he actually got opportunities

and separately

2- That he might end up in a role similar to Coburn (defensive defenseman who is a great skater). I'm not saying Coburn is his floor, just that if he doesn't end up as a #1D, like we obviously hope he will, he could end up as a similar player to Coburn (aka not his floor, but somewhere in the middle of his floor and his ceiling).
Oh well then I agree with that assessment.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 06:35 PM
  #277
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
I can honestly say that I wanted Hamilton....until Couturier fell to them. I still wanted Hamilton but felt they HAD to draft Couturier with the upside he has.

When Laughton was picked, I wanted Maatta. I felt that he was the BPA at that point. Time will tell if a Laughton was the right pick.

Last year, I was hoping Risto fell but wanted Zadorov at our pick. I didn't expect us to pick him due to the Russian factor but that was who I wanted. And I was screaming at the a TV to pick Hagg with the 2nd rounder. I felt I was going to be disappointed, just like I was with us passing on Maatta.

But I will say this, we have an EXCELLENT track record off the forwards we pick in the 1st round. I am confident that when we take a F, had will develop into a very good player.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 04:21 AM
  #278
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I can honestly say that I wanted Hamilton....until Couturier fell to them. I still wanted Hamilton but felt they HAD to draft Couturier with the upside he has.

When Laughton was picked, I wanted Maatta. I felt that he was the BPA at that point. Time will tell if a Laughton was the right pick.

Last year, I was hoping Risto fell but wanted Zadorov at our pick. I didn't expect us to pick him due to the Russian factor but that was who I wanted. And I was screaming at the a TV to pick Hagg with the 2nd rounder. I felt I was going to be disappointed, just like I was with us passing on Maatta.

But I will say this, we have an EXCELLENT track record off the forwards we pick in the 1st round. I am confident that when we take a F, had will develop into a very good player.
I agree that Laughton over Maata was more baffling than Couts over Hamilton.

Couts had the upside and visible skillset but with Laughton the decision seemed to be based only on Flyers brand of hockey and half hearted Mike Richards comparisons...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:47 AM
  #279
flyershockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,725
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I can honestly say that I wanted Hamilton....until Couturier fell to them. I still wanted Hamilton but felt they HAD to draft Couturier with the upside he has.

When Laughton was picked, I wanted Maatta. I felt that he was the BPA at that point. Time will tell if a Laughton was the right pick.

Last year, I was hoping Risto fell but wanted Zadorov at our pick. I didn't expect us to pick him due to the Russian factor but that was who I wanted. And I was screaming at the a TV to pick Hagg with the 2nd rounder. I felt I was going to be disappointed, just like I was with us passing on Maatta.

But I will say this, we have an EXCELLENT track record off the forwards we pick in the 1st round. I am confident that when we take a F, had will develop into a very good player.
Maatta fell pretty far on draft day, so it's not like the Flyers were the only ones with questions about him. I like Maatta as a player, but HF has really hyped him up past what he's capable of. He was pretty terrible after the Olympics. I guess you could blame that on age and inexperience, but Maatta always strikes me as a guy with limited upside. I think he'll be a nice top four defenseman, but he's not in the same class as Trouba, Jones, Murray, etc. like a lot of people were saying 2 months into the season.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:00 PM
  #280
MP92
Registered User
 
MP92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I agree that Laughton over Maata was more baffling than Couts over Hamilton.

Couts had the upside and visible skillset but with Laughton the decision seemed to be based only on Flyers brand of hockey and half hearted Mike Richards comparisons...
Idk, Im no expert but Laughton seems to have a fair bit of skill himself.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:08 PM
  #281
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
Idk, Im no expert but Laughton seems to have a fair bit of skill himself.
No denying that and I expect he's an even better player than most fans here give him credit for even today, but given the organizational depth at Center and weakness at D at the time of the selection it was literally shocking to see the Flyers pass on Maatta to select Laughton. As that pick was approaching, I was praying they'd move up to select TT as he kept sliding, but felt like Maatta was going to be a potential excellent consolation prize. When they ended up with neither, I admitted to be a bit deflated, but am now content to simply see it play out.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:28 PM
  #282
Tripod
Registered User
 
Tripod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,113
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
No denying that and I expect he's an even better player than most fans here give him credit for even today, but given the organizational depth at Center and weakness at D at the time of the selection it was literally shocking to see the Flyers pass on Maatta to select Laughton. As that pick was approaching, I was praying they'd move up to select TT as he kept sliding, but felt like Maatta was going to be a potential excellent consolation prize. When they ended up with neither, I admitted to be a bit deflated, but am now content to simply see it play out.
I feel the same way. Watching a Dman FALL to us, then not pick him, was deflating. But Laughton has proven to be a good prospect himself. But guess what, we STILL have way to many C and need yo move some out for either LW or D help.

The team has certainly shown to be confident in who they pick at F in the 1st round. Maybe they just lack that confidence in picking d's so go to the comfort level.

And hell, San Jose has had many C successfully convert to wing. Must be nice. We sure could use it.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 09:23 PM
  #283
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,080
vCash: 500
The only obvious solution is to go to a 5-line, 2-D pairing line-up.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 12:38 AM
  #284
flyersfan187
Registered User
 
flyersfan187's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Morrisdale, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I feel the same way. Watching a Dman FALL to us, then not pick him, was deflating. But Laughton has proven to be a good prospect himself. But guess what, we STILL have way to many C and need yo move some out for either LW or D help.

The team has certainly shown to be confident in who they pick at F in the 1st round. Maybe they just lack that confidence in picking d's so go to the comfort level.

And hell, San Jose has had many C successfully convert to wing. Must be nice. We sure could use it.
Just like LA has too many centers. You need center depth, a top defense-man and a goalie. The Flyers have two. I am hoping the Flyers can bring in a top defender in the off season but we will see. Pronger would have been great for the Flyers and it is a pity to see the way he went down. A Pronger/Doughty/Weber or anyone with their potential would do wonders for this team. It is just so difficult to bring in.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 06:04 AM
  #285
The Rage Kage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
A top defensemen and a good first line scorer is really all we need to be a lot better, then a serviceable fourth line could really help

The Rage Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 06:30 AM
  #286
dats81
Registered User
 
dats81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Carinthia
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Just like LA has too many centers. You need center depth, a top defense-man and a goalie. The Flyers have two. I am hoping the Flyers can bring in a top defender in the off season but we will see. Pronger would have been great for the Flyers and it is a pity to see the way he went down. A Pronger/Doughty/Weber or anyone with their potential would do wonders for this team. It is just so difficult to bring in.
In all fairness, even if Pronger did not get PCS the Flyers would have had a narrow window for winning a cup since he was obviously on the decline, losing a step and getting injury prone before the eye injury. If winning a cup is tied to letting Couts|Schenn|Simmonds,... mature and round out their game, Pronger was an ill fit age-wise anyway and maybe with Pronger still in the fold Holgren would not have drafted Morin and Hägg.


Last edited by dats81: 05-28-2014 at 08:49 AM.
dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 08:30 AM
  #287
The Rage Kage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
You raise a good point, although to have an aging defensemen you'd be crazy not to draft any d

The Rage Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 12:02 PM
  #288
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,877
vCash: 500
I wonder if he is working on his skating again this off season. I remember there were reports last year he was and also he put on 10 pounds or around there. Bulk up a little more and improve his acceleration and I think we could rely on him for 50 points next year.

__________________
#BobbyRyan #SheaWeber #MikeBabcock #RyanO'Reilly
Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 12:05 PM
  #289
Funf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 617
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I wonder if he is working on his skating again this off season. I remember there were reports he was and also he put on 10 pounds or around there. Bulk up a little more and improve his acceleration and I think we could rely on him for 50 points next year.
Honestly, I thought his skating looked markedly better than in the past to start this season. I think his sports hernia probably slowed him down a bit, too. I can't imagine that it wouldn't. But yes, he should definitely be working on it again. I'm sure the coaching staff has made him well aware of how to spend his time this offseason.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:50 PM
  #290
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
He looked much much faster at the start of last season and especially in the preseason, but looked slower as the season progressed. Maybe an injury was the cause.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:59 PM
  #291
Stizzle
Registered User
 
Stizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,003
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
He looked much much faster at the start of last season and especially in the preseason, but looked slower as the season progressed. Maybe an injury was the cause.
He had a sports hernia, dude.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:03 PM
  #292
Jtown
Registered User
 
Jtown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Fairfax, Virginia
Posts: 10,374
vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
He looked much much faster at the start of last season and especially in the preseason, but looked slower as the season progressed. Maybe an injury was the cause.
agree. He took a huge jump in terms of his speed last year. If he takes another huge jump he could be well on his way to a breakout year. If he doesn't then its safe to assume he has all but peaked in terms of speed and If that is the case any improvement in points is going to be due to increased ozone and pp time.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:45 PM
  #293
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
He had a sports hernia, dude.
I know, but we don't know when that happened. It could have been towards the end of the year and what I was saying was that his speed seemed to slow down pretty early in the year after being much quicker in the very beginning,

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:52 PM
  #294
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
He looked much much faster at the start of last season and especially in the preseason, but looked slower as the season progressed. Maybe an injury was the cause.
From my viewings, the big jump in his skating came right after Chief took over and started emphasizing skating at practice. You could see a noticeable improvement in several guys, including Couturier and Simmonds.

One has to also wonder if in addition to the injury, whether the increased practice skating created conditioning challenges in the playoffs, especially after the Flyers brutal schedule down the stretch. Impossible to know, but Couturier and much of the rest of the team definitely looked a step behind their own pace against the Rangers.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:58 PM
  #295
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
From my viewings, the big jump in his skating came right after Chief took over and started emphasizing skating at practice. You could see a noticeable improvement in several guys, including Couturier and Simmonds.

One has to also wonder if in addition to the injury, whether the increased practice skating created conditioning challenges in the playoffs, especially after the Flyers brutal schedule down the stretch. Impossible to know, but Couturier and much of the rest of the team definitely looked a step behind their own pace against the Rangers.
No, he looked noticeably faster during the preseason, Berube becoming coach had nothing to do with it.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
  #296
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
No, he looked noticeably faster during the preseason, Berube becoming coach had nothing to do with it.
After the transition to Berube, I distinctly remember a number of GDT where the improvement of Couturier's skating (and others) was palpable relative to the end of Lavy's tenure.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-10-1...-kimmo-timonen

Quote:
What's happening is possible because of an upgrade in team conditioning. Berube’s Skate Zone practices accentuate skating and high-paced drills with little stoppage.

Simmonds said he began to see the results of all that skating in his own game last week. The Flyers aren’t looking winded when the third period arrives.
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-second-nature

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 03:11 PM
  #297
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
After the transition to Berube, I distinctly remember a number of GDT where the improvement of Couturier's skating (and others) was palpable relative to the end of Lavy's tenure.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-10-1...-kimmo-timonen



http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-second-nature
But again, if it started in the preseason, before Berube took over, it obviously couldn't be because Berube took over...

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 03:18 PM
  #298
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
But again, if it started in the preseason, before Berube took over, it obviously couldn't be because Berube took over...
I never saw a dramatic improvement in skating in the pre-season... not that the pre-season is the best time to assess such things as various players are getting into shape at different stages, but I and many others, including those that follow the Flyers professionally saw the improvement in skating in a lot of different players after it was emphasized.

Sean absolutely looked stronger on the puck in the early going, probably due to the muscle and increasing confidence as a player, but in talking about speed, the biggest jump occurred after Berube took over (as it did for others on the team as the articles I linked and others I didn't articulate).

It stood out at the time is all I'm saying.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 03:51 PM
  #299
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
I never saw a dramatic improvement in skating in the pre-season... not that the pre-season is the best time to assess such things as various players are getting into shape at different stages, but I and many others, including those that follow the Flyers professionally saw the improvement in skating in a lot of different players after it was emphasized.

Sean absolutely looked stronger on the puck in the early going, probably due to the muscle and increasing confidence as a player, but in talking about speed, the biggest jump occurred after Berube took over (as it did for others on the team as the articles I linked and others I didn't articulate).

It stood out at the time is all I'm saying.
And I'm just saying that 100% for sure I noticed it before Berube did anything. There was a very noticeable boost in his speed all the way from the preseason through the time you're talking about. Whether you saw it or not, it was there, which just means that it wasn't Berube that was the reason.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 04:10 PM
  #300
Broad Street Elite
Registered User
 
Broad Street Elite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
And I'm just saying that 100% for sure I noticed it before Berube did anything. There was a very noticeable boost in his speed all the way from the preseason through the time you're talking about. Whether you saw it or not, it was there, which just means that it wasn't Berube that was the reason.
Whatever. We agree to disagree. You saw what you saw and I saw what I saw. Unless someone else cares to chime in, this discussion is clearly going nowhere.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.