HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Couturier (June 25 update: cyst removed from his left foot; using crutches)

Old
05-26-2014, 06:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
I don't think you understand exactly what I meant, I probably could have phrased it better.

Those were two different thoughts, not really linked together.

1- I'm saying that I think his floor is probably still as an NHL player because he's a smart player, mean, huge, a very good skater, and his offensive skills are improving when he actually got opportunities

and separately

2- That he might end up in a role similar to Coburn (defensive defenseman who is a great skater). I'm not saying Coburn is his floor, just that if he doesn't end up as a #1D, like we obviously hope he will, he could end up as a similar player to Coburn (aka not his floor, but somewhere in the middle of his floor and his ceiling).
Oh well then I agree with that assessment.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Tripod

I can honestly say that I wanted Hamilton....until Couturier fell to them. I still wanted Hamilton but felt they HAD to draft Couturier with the upside he has.

When Laughton was picked, I wanted Maatta. I felt that he was the BPA at that point. Time will tell if a Laughton was the right pick.

Last year, I was hoping Risto fell but wanted Zadorov at our pick. I didn't expect us to pick him due to the Russian factor but that was who I wanted. And I was screaming at the a TV to pick Hagg with the 2nd rounder. I felt I was going to be disappointed, just like I was with us passing on Maatta.

But I will say this, we have an EXCELLENT track record off the forwards we pick in the 1st round. I am confident that when we take a F, had will develop into a very good player.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 04:21 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I can honestly say that I wanted Hamilton....until Couturier fell to them. I still wanted Hamilton but felt they HAD to draft Couturier with the upside he has.

When Laughton was picked, I wanted Maatta. I felt that he was the BPA at that point. Time will tell if a Laughton was the right pick.

Last year, I was hoping Risto fell but wanted Zadorov at our pick. I didn't expect us to pick him due to the Russian factor but that was who I wanted. And I was screaming at the a TV to pick Hagg with the 2nd rounder. I felt I was going to be disappointed, just like I was with us passing on Maatta.

But I will say this, we have an EXCELLENT track record off the forwards we pick in the 1st round. I am confident that when we take a F, had will develop into a very good player.
I agree that Laughton over Maata was more baffling than Couts over Hamilton.

Couts had the upside and visible skillset but with Laughton the decision seemed to be based only on Flyers brand of hockey and half hearted Mike Richards comparisons...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:47 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:

Maatta fell pretty far on draft day, so it's not like the Flyers were the only ones with questions about him. I like Maatta as a player, but HF has really hyped him up past what he's capable of. He was pretty terrible after the Olympics. I guess you could blame that on age and inexperience, but Maatta always strikes me as a guy with limited upside. I think he'll be a nice top four defenseman, but he's not in the same class as Trouba, Jones, Murray, etc. like a lot of people were saying 2 months into the season.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:00 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
I agree that Laughton over Maata was more baffling than Couts over Hamilton.

Couts had the upside and visible skillset but with Laughton the decision seemed to be based only on Flyers brand of hockey and half hearted Mike Richards comparisons...
Idk, Im no expert but Laughton seems to have a fair bit of skill himself.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 01:08 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP92 View Post
Idk, Im no expert but Laughton seems to have a fair bit of skill himself.
No denying that and I expect he's an even better player than most fans here give him credit for even today, but given the organizational depth at Center and weakness at D at the time of the selection it was literally shocking to see the Flyers pass on Maatta to select Laughton. As that pick was approaching, I was praying they'd move up to select TT as he kept sliding, but felt like Maatta was going to be a potential excellent consolation prize. When they ended up with neither, I admitted to be a bit deflated, but am now content to simply see it play out.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 06:28 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
No denying that and I expect he's an even better player than most fans here give him credit for even today, but given the organizational depth at Center and weakness at D at the time of the selection it was literally shocking to see the Flyers pass on Maatta to select Laughton. As that pick was approaching, I was praying they'd move up to select TT as he kept sliding, but felt like Maatta was going to be a potential excellent consolation prize. When they ended up with neither, I admitted to be a bit deflated, but am now content to simply see it play out.
I feel the same way. Watching a Dman FALL to us, then not pick him, was deflating. But Laughton has proven to be a good prospect himself. But guess what, we STILL have way to many C and need yo move some out for either LW or D help.

The team has certainly shown to be confident in who they pick at F in the 1st round. Maybe they just lack that confidence in picking d's so go to the comfort level.

And hell, San Jose has had many C successfully convert to wing. Must be nice. We sure could use it.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2014, 09:23 PM
BernieParent

The only obvious solution is to go to a 5-line, 2-D pairing line-up.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 12:38 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
Quote:
I feel the same way. Watching a Dman FALL to us, then not pick him, was deflating. But Laughton has proven to be a good prospect himself. But guess what, we STILL have way to many C and need yo move some out for either LW or D help.

The team has certainly shown to be confident in who they pick at F in the 1st round. Maybe they just lack that confidence in picking d's so go to the comfort level.

And hell, San Jose has had many C successfully convert to wing. Must be nice. We sure could use it.
Just like LA has too many centers. You need center depth, a top defense-man and a goalie. The Flyers have two. I am hoping the Flyers can bring in a top defender in the off season but we will see. Pronger would have been great for the Flyers and it is a pity to see the way he went down. A Pronger/Doughty/Weber or anyone with their potential would do wonders for this team. It is just so difficult to bring in.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 06:04 AM
The Rage Kage

A top defensemen and a good first line scorer is really all we need to be a lot better, then a serviceable fourth line could really help

The Rage Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 06:30 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan187 View Post
Just like LA has too many centers. You need center depth, a top defense-man and a goalie. The Flyers have two. I am hoping the Flyers can bring in a top defender in the off season but we will see. Pronger would have been great for the Flyers and it is a pity to see the way he went down. A Pronger/Doughty/Weber or anyone with their potential would do wonders for this team. It is just so difficult to bring in.
In all fairness, even if Pronger did not get PCS the Flyers would have had a narrow window for winning a cup since he was obviously on the decline, losing a step and getting injury prone before the eye injury. If winning a cup is tied to letting Couts|Schenn|Simmonds,... mature and round out their game, Pronger was an ill fit age-wise anyway and maybe with Pronger still in the fold Holgren would not have drafted Morin and Hägg.

Last edited by dats81: 05-28-2014 at 08:49 AM.
dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2014, 08:30 AM
The Rage Kage

You raise a good point, although to have an aging defensemen you'd be crazy not to draft any d

The Rage Kage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 12:02 PM
Prongo
Beer

I wonder if he is working on his skating again this off season. I remember there were reports last year he was and also he put on 10 pounds or around there. Bulk up a little more and improve his acceleration and I think we could rely on him for 50 points next year.

06-09-2014, 12:05 PM
Funf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I wonder if he is working on his skating again this off season. I remember there were reports he was and also he put on 10 pounds or around there. Bulk up a little more and improve his acceleration and I think we could rely on him for 50 points next year.
Honestly, I thought his skating looked markedly better than in the past to start this season. I think his sports hernia probably slowed him down a bit, too. I can't imagine that it wouldn't. But yes, he should definitely be working on it again. I'm sure the coaching staff has made him well aware of how to spend his time this offseason.

Funf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

He looked much much faster at the start of last season and especially in the preseason, but looked slower as the season progressed. Maybe an injury was the cause.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 01:59 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
He looked much much faster at the start of last season and especially in the preseason, but looked slower as the season progressed. Maybe an injury was the cause.
He had a sports hernia, dude.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:03 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
agree. He took a huge jump in terms of his speed last year. If he takes another huge jump he could be well on his way to a breakout year. If he doesn't then its safe to assume he has all but peaked in terms of speed and If that is the case any improvement in points is going to be due to increased ozone and pp time.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2014, 02:45 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
He had a sports hernia, dude.
I know, but we don't know when that happened. It could have been towards the end of the year and what I was saying was that his speed seemed to slow down pretty early in the year after being much quicker in the very beginning,

Old
06-09-2014, 02:52 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
From my viewings, the big jump in his skating came right after Chief took over and started emphasizing skating at practice. You could see a noticeable improvement in several guys, including Couturier and Simmonds.

One has to also wonder if in addition to the injury, whether the increased practice skating created conditioning challenges in the playoffs, especially after the Flyers brutal schedule down the stretch. Impossible to know, but Couturier and much of the rest of the team definitely looked a step behind their own pace against the Rangers.

Old
06-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
From my viewings, the big jump in his skating came right after Chief took over and started emphasizing skating at practice. You could see a noticeable improvement in several guys, including Couturier and Simmonds.

One has to also wonder if in addition to the injury, whether the increased practice skating created conditioning challenges in the playoffs, especially after the Flyers brutal schedule down the stretch. Impossible to know, but Couturier and much of the rest of the team definitely looked a step behind their own pace against the Rangers.
No, he looked noticeably faster during the preseason, Berube becoming coach had nothing to do with it.

Old
06-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
No, he looked noticeably faster during the preseason, Berube becoming coach had nothing to do with it.
After the transition to Berube, I distinctly remember a number of GDT where the improvement of Couturier's skating (and others) was palpable relative to the end of Lavy's tenure.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-10-1...-kimmo-timonen

Quote:
What's happening is possible because of an upgrade in team conditioning. Berube’s Skate Zone practices accentuate skating and high-paced drills with little stoppage.

Simmonds said he began to see the results of all that skating in his own game last week. The Flyers aren’t looking winded when the third period arrives.
http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-second-nature

Old
06-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
After the transition to Berube, I distinctly remember a number of GDT where the improvement of Couturier's skating (and others) was palpable relative to the end of Lavy's tenure.

http://articles.philly.com/2013-10-1...-kimmo-timonen

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...-second-nature
But again, if it started in the preseason, before Berube took over, it obviously couldn't be because Berube took over...

Old
06-09-2014, 03:18 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
But again, if it started in the preseason, before Berube took over, it obviously couldn't be because Berube took over...
I never saw a dramatic improvement in skating in the pre-season... not that the pre-season is the best time to assess such things as various players are getting into shape at different stages, but I and many others, including those that follow the Flyers professionally saw the improvement in skating in a lot of different players after it was emphasized.

Sean absolutely looked stronger on the puck in the early going, probably due to the muscle and increasing confidence as a player, but in talking about speed, the biggest jump occurred after Berube took over (as it did for others on the team as the articles I linked and others I didn't articulate).

It stood out at the time is all I'm saying.

Old
06-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
I never saw a dramatic improvement in skating in the pre-season... not that the pre-season is the best time to assess such things as various players are getting into shape at different stages, but I and many others, including those that follow the Flyers professionally saw the improvement in skating in a lot of different players after it was emphasized.

Sean absolutely looked stronger on the puck in the early going, probably due to the muscle and increasing confidence as a player, but in talking about speed, the biggest jump occurred after Berube took over (as it did for others on the team as the articles I linked and others I didn't articulate).

It stood out at the time is all I'm saying.
And I'm just saying that 100% for sure I noticed it before Berube did anything. There was a very noticeable boost in his speed all the way from the preseason through the time you're talking about. Whether you saw it or not, it was there, which just means that it wasn't Berube that was the reason.

Old
06-09-2014, 04:10 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
And I'm just saying that 100% for sure I noticed it before Berube did anything. There was a very noticeable boost in his speed all the way from the preseason through the time you're talking about. Whether you saw it or not, it was there, which just means that it wasn't Berube that was the reason.
Whatever. We agree to disagree. You saw what you saw and I saw what I saw. Unless someone else cares to chime in, this discussion is clearly going nowhere.